Review: Second Skin

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Review: Second Skin

Second Skin is a superbly well-made and comprehensive look at MMORPGs and virtual worlds, the people who choose to live in them, and how they change lives for better or for worse.

Read Full Article

This sounds really intriguing. Does the everywhere mentioned in the article include Australia? I ask because I would be interested in seeing this doco.

"did you know that one out of every three female MMOG players will start a relationship with someone they've met in-game?"
Problem is there is ONLY 3 female MMO players.

DamienHell:
"did you know that one out of every three female MMOG players will start a relationship with someone they've met in-game?"

Actually, no. That's another thing you'd learn in the documentary ;)

This sounds like quite an interesting documentary. How did you get hold of it "CantFaketheFunk". In other words where the Bleedin' Heck can I find it please.

Is it available through Netflix?

BlueInkAlchemist:

Torque669:
This sounds like quite an interesting documentary. How did you get hold of it "CantFaketheFunk". In other words where the Bleedin' Heck can I find it please.

The Blue Mongoose:
This sounds really intriguing. Does the everywhere mentioned in the article include Australia? I ask because I would be interested in seeing this doco.

Over at WarCry for the next week :)

Well Funk, you sold me. I've put watching this on my to-do list. Maybe I'll even manage to convince my non-gamer girlfriend to watch it with me.
I've pondered if I should try and draw her into the gaming world, maybe this will be a good way to test the waters.

CantFaketheFunk:

Thanks alot. Ill give it a look tonight.

EDIT: Nevermind. Its Hulu so I cant watch. Maybe Ill be able to find it somewhere else. Thanks anyway though Funk atleast you showed me it. :]

Torque669:

CantFaketheFunk:

EDIT: Nevermind. Its Hulu so I cant watch. Maybe Ill be able to find it somewhere else. Thanks anyway though Funk atleast you showed me it. :]

It's also available at SnagFilms, though I don't know if that works for our non-US viewers.

damn hulu, well ill rent it when i comes to Europe, it sounds good and i have used sevreal years my self playing mmos.

edit:
good news my fellow non-Americans, we can watch it at snag films.

alright, im beginning to go crazy whit the commercials every 5min, im from Denmark so I'm used to maybe 1 break pr movie if any.

CantFaketheFunk:

It's also available at SnagFilms, though I don't know if that works for our non-US viewers.

Yep that works. It might load slow because its an american host but Ill deal with it. Thanks Fake *Thumbs Up*

Snagfilms works for me and I'm Canadian

Second Skin is also screening on the Big Screen in Select cities.

Los Angeles August 14th-20th The Downtown Independent
New York August 7th-9th The Tank Theater
Boston August 14th-20th The Somerville Theater
Austin August 16th-17th The Alamo Draft House *(If you fill it up they will extend the run through the week)

That statistic about female MMOGers is fascinating. Would that imply that women are more easily swayed by the effects of a virtual world? That they're more trusting of internet people? Or that the women that go to play MMO's are desperate?

Hrm... this requires some thought and research.

I read this review, and then I sat down and watched the whole thing from start to finish. It's like the documentary film version of the Escapist Round Tables. Very intriguing. It's also amazing to see how balanced the viewpoint is, showing gaming as both destructive and also rewarding. It sort of implies that there is a healthy level of tradeoff between real worlds and virtual worlds.

CantFaketheFunk:

Torque669:

CantFaketheFunk:

Awesome, thanks Funk. So it plays the whole thing?

CantFaketheFunk:

BlueInkAlchemist:

Torque669:

The Blue Mongoose:

Ah the bane of living in Australia. The thing wont let me watch it because I'm not American.

I'm watching it right now. For non-Americans, here's the link to NOT Hulu: http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/second_skin

Really intriguing stuff. I really like the point that one Dark Age of Camelot developer had about RMT (Real Money Trade): in essence, the items don't have an intrinsic value. What you pay for in RMT's is the time it takes for one to obtain such an item. This effectively puts a new meaning in the phrase "MMO's are a huge time investment".

Interesting documentary. If a bugger to watch because of the adverts.

To the guild of 4 I have to say...

"The two guys with wives & kids have leveled up to the next phase of the game"

This is now my favorite documentary of all time. My only complaint is that it focused too much on extreme cases and never the casual players (or at least to people who play MMO *only* 2-4 hours per day).

Gunner_Guardian:
This is now my favorite documentary of all time. My only complaint is that it focused too much on extreme cases and never the casual players (or at least to people who play MMO *only* 2-4 hours per day).

That true, however the media focus on these extreme players whenever there is a news story about it and not about the people who play it very shortly.
I found my self interested in the statistic, but does anyone know where it actually comes from? Which game? When?

Thank God there's a site that let us watch it outside of the evil galactic empire... eh i mean the States.

Gunner_Guardian:

Well, that wouldn't make for very interesting viewing, now would it?

CantFaketheFunk:

DamienHell:

Actually, no. That's another thing you'd learn in the documentary ;)

I laughed. My Guild-masters in WoW actually met in Diablo II and are now in a happy relationship. I'm gonna have to pick this up and see what it's like. If there's a part about broken in-game dice I will be hooked.

sounds interesting...

ShadowKirby:
Thank God there's a site that let us watch it outside of the evil galactic empire... eh i mean the States.

We are generous like that. Plus nobody really knows who really is in charge here. MWAHAHAHAHA! >:)
==Posted by Bob the Janitor==datestamped 08102009
Edit: Crud! That wasn't supposed to do that!
==Posted by Bob the Unemployed==datestamped 08102009

Seriously, that does sound interesting, will definitely take a lookylooky. 1 in 3, eh? Hmmmm

The toilet paper scene at 21:00 is priceless. "Can't you air-dry?" "Did you poo?"

One of the best documentaries I've seen this year, which is an acheivement given my current Louis Theroux addiction. Brilliantly insightful and quite moving in a lot of ways, couldn't help but feel sorry for the guy with the lip piercing in the house of four gamers, he seemed very affected by his two friends moving away.

I agree with the previous point that it was very well balanced, exploring not only the addiction but also the concepts of society, escapism, relationships, friendship and also some incredibly troubling statistics. I've never been an MMO subscriber, I've played several free to plays at one time or another, and trialled WoW but even I felt the pull into that game, it is addictive.

Really thought provoking, thankyou for alerting us to this...

I was not surprised, but quite shocked at the people who literally threw their life away for a game. Admittedly, for those kinds of people if it hadn't been WoW, I'm sure it would have been the bar or something else to occupy all their time.

Just saw it, Awesome movie. What's the song at the end?
The "I just can't seem to grow up" rap thing.

It does.

Rather thought provoking watch over the weekend, and filled with itty bitty facts even I wasn't aware of. The extreme cases were sad, but I enjoyed the 'non-judgemental' approach the documentary took, allowing us to decide for ourselves how strange/pathetic/laughable some of the situations presented were.

Though I quit WoW about a year ago I decided to give this a watch. It was actually really interesting and it had it's moments where a shiver went down your spine when you hear what some of these people went through because of gaming. There were also moments that caused your heart to warm when you hear what some of these people accomplished through gaming, such as the handicapped kid who feels that gaming has made him a better person. Overall it was a great watch and I reccomend it to gamers and non-gamers alike.

i got as for as world of war craft then stopped and got angry enough to post a comment. shudder*

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here