The Pocket Gamer Report: In Defense of Apple

Apple may not deserve all the condemnation it receives.

Read Full Article

Am I bad for wanting examples :P

Anyway I think it's a bit stupid to censor those words as the Apple Iphone userbase doesn't really consist of people sensitive to stuff like that..

hmmm...all very interesting,I may have not read it,but I will go ahead with you(but they should stop making stuff smaller)

Pocket Gamer:

Are you kidding me?

The last article, as I recall, was about how Apple has powers similar to Walmart when it came to games. This simple "accept/reject" power that you say so humbly is actually powerful enough to hold these developers in their reigns!

And what is with this Ninjawords defense?!

Didn't the last articles point on "censorship" have to do with the fact that the iPhone market is not only supersaturated but easy to pirate from?

Apple has only the power to "accept/reject entries from developers"...yeah...as well as make them shutup when they wanna rant a little right?

Repeatedly threatening lawsuits for the use of the word 'edge' tells me all I need to know about someone. Unless that was a gross exaggeration for effect.

Apple's system has no transparency and from an article I read on computerworld.com where they did an interview with the creator's of the software that was yanked, it was clear that there was no chance to appeal, no reason why nor any guidelines to stop a similar event from happening again.

It's this same secrecy which earns Apple a lot of flak from anti virus vendors as Apple refuses to let them know when updates are coming and what they'll be comprised of. For admins this is a horrific proposition because they won't know what unforeseen glitches and problems these can create which was hugely reported (By network tech sites anyway) when Apple started cramming their foetid abortion of a web browser called Safari.

At least when MS releases updates they generally provide advanced releases or the option to download them earlier for admins to test the updates and make sure everything will be okey upon patch Tuesday when it rolls out for the rest of us. Like professional beta testing.

Seguing nicely to my final point, Apple doesn't beta it's software. Look at Air. That was riven with problems and glitches, turning what Apple claimed an easy, intuitive back up software to their over priced, newly reduced, external, wireless back up drives (Which they had, incidentally claimed would be backwards compatible with previous wireless backup-hardware. That lie was then was brushed under the carpet rather quickly by Mac fans). With Apple products becoming more popular, more and more people are shelling out ludicrous amounts of money for them and now you're seeing more and more people discovering glitches and errors. Sound familiar? The only reason why people see so many glitches and problems with Microsoft software is because about 85-90% of the market uses it! Of course you're going to see a huge disparity in errors but as Apple grow in users, you're going to start seeing more people complaining about Apple hardware and softer suffering glitches.

One thing which popped into my head as I wrote that last paragraph, on more than one occasion Apple hard spontaneously combusted or generated serious heat, enough for one woman to get severe burn rashes on her thighs. It was even parodied by Penny Arcade. The fellow who had his Macbook power plug spontaneously combust was also immediately demanded, by Apple, to remove the pictures from his blog but not before they were downloaded and posted by others. Look it up.

Apple is a company of conmen and bullies who bow down with almost religious deference to an egotistical, elitist prick with a near messianic ego.

[Edit]

Actually, I have to wonder, did Apple get to the Escapist or the columnist? Are they applying pressure like they tend to do to their critics?

It wouldn't surprise me.

good read, altho i thoguht it was more like the news headlines being so over the top than people hating apple, all news headlines are sensationalised...i hate it

either way apple, like all companies, do good and bad, everyone just hears more bad than good in most cases :P

Chaos Marine:
Actually, I have to wonder, did Apple get to the Escapist or the columnist? Are they applying pressure like they tend to do to their critics?

It wouldn't surprise me.

Hahaha...or maybe they promised him an iPhone ;)

Chaos Marine:
The fellow who had his Macbook power plug spontaneously combust was also immediately demanded, by Apple, to remove the pictures from his blog but not before they were downloaded and posted by others. Look it up.

I'm surprised I didn't hear about that...

Makes you wonder how Apple would have handled the RROD issue with a hypothetical "i360" :P

No, Apple deserves condemnation for something entirely different: TRYING TO ACT AS IF A DEVICE WITHOUT BUTTONS IS A VIABLE GAMING PLATFORM. I mean, tilt control totally makes up for the instability of most 3D games, the poor framerates, etc.

Don't take this the wrong way, I love my iPhone as a phone and a web browser, but it's no good for gaming. It surprises me that it gets more press about this than about the fact that people keep calling it a competitor to the DS.

P.S. Thanks

Wait, what? Article feels much like a reversal of the one last week. Scared of litigation or something?

Basically in the current situation Apple is actually worse than Microsoft.

Pocket Gamer:

Read Full Article

No, not all, just most. They've done some shady stuff lately and I'm not a fan. This coming from a guy that owns apple products. I love my macbook pro, but Apple has started to go awry since they brought the iPhone out. \
You'd think that of all the companies out there, they'd be the ones to embrace a little openness on their products in order to get people to use them. Guess they sold 2372384729 iPones and decided that they could act as the hive mind.....
Shame, because I'll need a new laptop soon..

Apple are being perfectly reasonable. Compared to Microsoft they're the cuddliest company around. Bringing out superior tech than everyone else all the time is bound to cost money, why wouldn't they protect their income.

Crimsane:
Wait, what? Article feels much like a reversal of the one last week. Scared of litigation or something?

Or just objective journalism?

redmarine:
Basically in the current situation Apple is actually worse than Microsoft.

One word, No.

Interesting read, as always. It's always nice to see both sides of an argument.

BTW, and this has been bugging me for hours, is argument spelled "arguement," with two e's? Or is the way I spelled it correct? I'd look it up on my Ninjawords app, but sadly...

scifidownbeat:

BTW, and this has been bugging me for hours, is argument spelled "arguement," with two e's? Or is the way I spelled it correct? I'd look it up on my Ninjawords app, but sadly...

Well, why don't you use a spellchecker inside your browser? It's standard in firefox.

Chaos Marine:
Repeatedly threatening lawsuits for the use of the word 'edge' tells me all I need to know about someone. Unless that was a gross exaggeration for effect.

Apple's system has no transparency and from an article I read on computerworld.com where they did an interview with the creator's of the software that was yanked, it was clear that there was no chance to appeal, no reason why nor any guidelines to stop a similar event from happening again.

It's this same secrecy which earns Apple a lot of flak from anti virus vendors as Apple refuses to let them know when updates are coming and what they'll be comprised of. For admins this is a horrific proposition because they won't know what unforeseen glitches and problems these can create which was hugely reported (By network tech sites anyway) when Apple started cramming their foetid abortion of a web browser called Safari.

At least when MS releases updates they generally provide advanced releases or the option to download them earlier for admins to test the updates and make sure everything will be okey upon patch Tuesday when it rolls out for the rest of us. Like professional beta testing.

Seguing nicely to my final point, Apple doesn't beta it's software. Look at Air. That was riven with problems and glitches, turning what Apple claimed an easy, intuitive back up software to their over priced, newly reduced, external, wireless back up drives (Which they had, incidentally claimed would be backwards compatible with previous wireless backup-hardware. That lie was then was brushed under the carpet rather quickly by Mac fans). With Apple products becoming more popular, more and more people are shelling out ludicrous amounts of money for them and now you're seeing more and more people discovering glitches and errors. Sound familiar? The only reason why people see so many glitches and problems with Microsoft software is because about 85-90% of the market uses it! Of course you're going to see a huge disparity in errors but as Apple grow in users, you're going to start seeing more people complaining about Apple hardware and softer suffering glitches.

One thing which popped into my head as I wrote that last paragraph, on more than one occasion Apple hard spontaneously combusted or generated serious heat, enough for one woman to get severe burn rashes on her thighs. It was even parodied by Penny Arcade. The fellow who had his Macbook power plug spontaneously combust was also immediately demanded, by Apple, to remove the pictures from his blog but not before they were downloaded and posted by others. Look it up.

Apple is a company of conmen and bullies who bow down with almost religious deference to an egotistical, elitist prick with a near messianic ego.

[Edit]

It wouldn't surprise me.

Microsoft is no angel from heaven either, they have their fair share of idiocies and bad decisions just like every company.
Why is Apple any different? Because it's smaller and more private about their products?
It still has the same problems that Microsoft has. As far as glitches go what do you expect from a company that had very specific programs for it, and that most other companies never took a second look at until now? If the vast majority of consumers aren't looking at your product and only a specific market is the bulk of your sales, you don't have to worry about so many things having to be compatible.
Software bubbles and glitches would be fairly low and manageable.
That is changing, and since it is getting more attention and more people are trying to design things for it there are going to be problems.

As for the over-heating issue, I'd wonder if they were from defective parts that were recalled, yet the owners ignored.
Yes, you will get the freak power cord that bursts into flame from overheating.
But any machine can have a horrid problem that may cause a unwanted, even dangerous, outcome.
Technology will never get to a point where ever mass-produced product is 100% safe.

Apple is pretty good at fixing there issue a little while after they're found. So they don't beta.
Other's do and there are still problems after they release it, it's going to happen.

Yeah, they have their problems.
So does everyone else, and most of them have had more chances to keep those problems to a minimum.

And in regards to the OT, it's a virtual dictionary. Who cares? Surely people have something better to do than be up in arms about something that has been done a hundred different times?
Apple can choose what programs it wants on their product, is it such a big deal that they turned the developer away because he didn't have an option for 'parental lock' on it?
Sounds reasonable enough for me. This is a business decision, nothing more.
Heaven forbid a company watch what things it accepts and why.

Metalhandkerchief:
Apple are being perfectly reasonable. Compared to Microsoft they're the cuddliest company around. Bringing out superior tech than everyone else all the time is bound to cost money, why wouldn't they protect their income.

No they aren't, no they aren't, no they don't, and because they should want to please customers than impose horrid restrictions on everything.

The problem with ANY form of anti-piracy, censorship etc. is that it gets in the way for the legitimate user. These people have to put up with all these restrictions. Take a look at games, the recent ones with some major DRM shenanigans, only able to install a game three times, detects if there are CD emulators running, that kind of thing. A person who pirates a game does not need to worry of this intrusion of privacy, as all this stuff gets disabled. People who hack the iPhone, while denied of firmware updates at the same time as legitimate users, get an all round easier time.

Superior technology - A couple of years back I looked at a high end Mac, and managed to make the same Windows PC just by looking online for under half the price. They are one of the most expensive PC producers in existence, not because their tech is more expensive to produce, but because they have this facade of cuteness, popularity, user-friendliness, family and home production... It's the way they market their products, especially now and since 2006 when they came out with one of their PC OSes (Oh, sorry, I mean Mac OSes, because Mac and PC are different... >_< Like fuck they are) and they practically forced Windows to release Vista early because of it. They market them to make them look very approachable. But when they have you in their tight clutches, only then can you realise the bullshit they put people through.

Macs are not good PCs. They're overpriced, overcontrolled sleek looking boxes that are sold purely because of Mac's incredibly simplistic OS and intrusive advertising schemes that don't tell anyone about the stuff they do. You think a company who tells hate websites to cease and desist is good? How does that make them more cuddly than Microsoft? They don't tell websites who point out flaws in the systems to stop, they actually take those complaints into mind, thus Windows 7 was born. While having its flaws, it's still a better OS for it.

God damn I hope you trolled me into that essay. xD

RYjet911:
Superior technology - A couple of years back I looked at a high end Mac, and managed to make the same Windows PC just by looking online for under half the price. of course, it's a PC They are one of the most expensive PC producers in existence, not because their tech is more expensive to produce, but because they have this facade of cuteness, popularity, user-friendliness, family and home production... that's work and professional production, mind you. And the personal macs are usually the student's tool no. 1 It's the way they market their products, especially now and since 2006 when they came out with one of their PC OSes (Oh, sorry, I mean Mac OSes, because Mac and PC are different... >_< Like fuck they are) and they practically forced Windows to release Vista early because of it. why the hell is this a problem? when a great product is released, Microsoft rushes their cheap copy of the real thing so they don't lose out on their money! Yes, Vista is a worse product because Mac OS X leo came out so fast, but damnit, Mac OS X leo is the finest OS to date on any platform. They market them to make them look very approachable. Which they are But when they have you in their tight clutches, only then can you realise the bullshit they put people through.examples, please. I've only had good experiences with Apple, their products and most of all their market-leading service and quality.

Macs are not good PCs. sorry, that's bullcrap. They're overpriced, overcontrolled sleek looking boxes that are sold purely because of Mac's incredibly simplistic OS WOW, you're an idiot! and intrusive advertising schemes ??? that don't tell anyone about the stuff they do. You think a company who tells hate websites to cease and desist is good? Microsoft would do this too, if they didn't already have rock bottom reputation. How does that make them more cuddly than Microsoft? because they make better products and try to keep their customers with great service and attention once they have them. They don't tell websites who point out flaws in the systems to stop, as I said, with a reputation already at rock bottom, why would they spend money on making themselves look good? they actually take those complaints into mind, hahahahahahahahaha thus Windows 7 was born. While having its flaws, it's still a better OS than Vista for it.

Sorry, all of the above are either lies, ignorance, or undermining attempts.

Chaos Marine:

It's not Apple that threatened a lawsuit it was Langdell. Apple just did what any company would have done and protected their ass from legal trouble. Do you truly expect a big company to risk legal problem to stand for a little game.

Chaos Marine:

[Edit]

It wouldn't surprise me.

Sure, when you disagree with someone just attack their and the websites integrity.

crypt-creature:
*Snip*.Microsoft is no angel from heaven either, they have their fair share of idiocies and bad decisions just like every company.
Why is Apple any different? Because it's smaller and more private about their products?
It still has the same problems that Microsoft has. As far as glitches go what do you expect from a company that had very specific programs for it, and that most other companies never took a second look at until now? If the vast majority of consumers aren't looking at your product and only a specific market is the bulk of your sales, you don't have to worry about so many things having to be compatible.
Software bubbles and glitches would be fairly low and manageable.
That is changing, and since it is getting more attention and more people are trying to design things for it there are going to be problems.

Yes. I am well aware of how temperamental any piece of software can be. At work we use Linux for the the tills and it crashes like clock work every morning, prone to sudden freezes which can last minutes. But since Microsoft controls a far greater volume of the market, the problems are exaggerated in regards to how numerous they are. If the market share between Apple and MS was 50/50, neither would seem worse than the other. The only reason I use a Windows operating system is because it's designed to be used with as many different software programs as possible. You can run just about every program released for it. You can even install it on Apple computers as the primary OS.

crypt-creature:

As for the over-heating issue, I'd wonder if they were from defective parts that were recalled, yet the owners ignored.
Yes, you will get the freak power cord that bursts into flame from overheating.
But any machine can have a horrid problem that may cause a unwanted, even dangerous, outcome.
Technology will never get to a point where ever mass-produced product is 100% safe.

Apple is pretty good at fixing there issue a little while after they're found. So they don't beta.
Other's do and there are still problems after they release it, it's going to happen.

Yeah, they have their problems.
So does everyone else, and most of them have had more chances to keep those problems to a minimum.

That's not the problem. It's Apple going to lengths of demanding and threatening people and other companies to keep any and all evidence of their faults away from the general public.

crypt-creature:
And in regards to the OT, it's a virtual dictionary. Who cares? Surely people have something better to do than be up in arms about something that has been done a hundred different times?
Apple can choose what programs it wants on their product, is it such a big deal that they turned the developer away because he didn't have an option for 'parental lock' on it?
Sounds reasonable enough for me. This is a business decision, nothing more.
Heaven forbid a company watch what things it accepts and why.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but compare how Apple make it difficult for third party software to work on their OS and how no one bats an eyelid and when MS does the same, they get commissions formed up to gouge obscene amounts of money out of them.

ShadowKirby:
It's not Apple that threatened a lawsuit it was Langdell. Apple just did what any company would have done and protected their ass from legal trouble. Do you truly expect a big company to risk legal problem to stand for a little game.

My comment about him was it's own paragraph separate from my rant about Apple. My sole point of him was that if he really threatens people for using the word 'edge' he's clearly insecure about his brand. Or if that was just an exaggeration for effect. Nothing I said about him involved Apple.

ShadowKirby:
Sure, when you disagree with someone just attack their and the websites integrity.

Compare this article to the article released a week earlier. It's such a one hundred and eighty degree turn around I'm surprised it didn't snap his neck. Maybe it's the cynic in me, or maybe it's how I've noticed the increasingly tyrannical nature of Apple in how they treat other companies like anti-virus software vendors, people who create and upload programs for their iPhones and how they can, without warning or reason, pull said software. Perhaps it's the fact that they don't want programs like Google Voice on the iPhone so they can sell their own one. Or how about their newest iPod design which has a chip in the headphone cable along with the control buttons that can let the iPod know if it's using an officially sanctioned Apple set of headphones. Did you know that there is a kill switch on the iPhone that Apple can flick at any point they like? Do you know that they're trying to get jailbreaking their phones to be made an illegal act? Adding onto that, specifically, that jailbreaked iPhones can be used to down cell masts. The likely hood of that is so mind bogglingly stupid and only idiots would believe that.

Chaos Marine:

Yes. I am well aware of how temperamental any piece of software can be. At work we use Linux for the the tills and it crashes like clock work every morning, prone to sudden freezes which can last minutes. But since Microsoft controls a far greater volume of the market, the problems are exaggerated in regards to how numerous they are. If the market share between Apple and MS was 50/50, neither would seem worse than the other. The only reason I use a Windows operating system is because it's designed to be used with as many different software programs as possible. You can run just about every program released for it. You can even install it on Apple computers as the primary OS.

Personally, I use Apple because it handles my needs better then any Windows primary machine has, and with far fewer problems.
People seem to jump the gun with the 'which company has more problems' debate.
I'm inclined to think that while they share the same number of problems, Apple can address them quicker since it has a smaller list of things that need to be compatible with it.
If anything, it's the dual compatibility issues that is really giving them more problems than anything else, but that is to be expected.

Chaos Marine:
That's not the problem. It's Apple going to lengths of demanding and threatening people and other companies to keep any and all evidence of their faults away from the general public.

That isn't exactly true. The general public is or can be aware of Apple's faults pretty easily, and the evidence is readily available to support their claims.
I'm not willing to say 'Apple is the monster here' because there is a good chance the "victim(s)" started to attack Apple in anger and making accusations that they had hoped would make the company look bad.
If you're going to complain about a company, you do need to have a little tact.
I just want all the evidence before I make a decision, and there just isn't enough for me to believe that Apple is going out of its way to shut up a consumer or company that disagrees with them.
It's be as if someone came in and had a problem, whatever it is but it's a problem shared by a good chunk of people, and they just start cursing out the company in any way that they can and making an uproar about it. They're throwing a fit because they think that they can and because people have this crazy delusion that you can get whatever you want by doing so.
Apple might not play the game that way.
But really, no one is going to know the whole truth about why they go after certain companies, and if Apple buttons their lip on the matter it's going to make them look bad no matter what.

Chaos Marine:
I know this wasn't directed at me, but compare how Apple make it difficult for third party software to work on their OS and how no one bats an eyelid and when MS does the same, they get commissions formed up to gouge obscene amounts of money out of them.

I'm not going after you here.
It just looks like people want something to complain about sometimes, for whatever reason.
If they don't like the way they're doing business, don't give them yours.
There is a good handful of people who don't like Apple because it's competition to MS, and will go out of their way to complain about something they have never worked with first hand for an extended period of time or who are initially biased towards them anyway.
Both companies do what they feel is right for their product(s), it's just that they have opposite views on the matter.
Most people prefer the way MS does things because that's what they've always dealt with.

redmarine:

scifidownbeat:

Well, why don't you use a spellchecker inside your browser? It's standard in firefox.

Don't have firefox. *sadness* and I still haven't looked it up yet. Can someone say lethargy...

Superior technology - A couple of years back I looked at a high end Mac, and managed to make the same Windows PC just by looking online for under half the price. They are one of the most expensive PC producers in existence, not because their tech is more expensive to produce, but because they have this facade of cuteness, popularity, user-friendliness, family and home production...

Yeah, sorry, can't let this one pass. The reason that PC with the same specs was cheaper was because it was less efficient. Every part of an Apple computer is built or contracted by them, so it's all optimized to work together. Including the software. My MacBook has pretty low end specs by today's standards, but it runs like a dream.

As to the article, I'm always for seeing both sides of an argument. Sure, everyone's all like "oh, big bad, evil, censuring Apple", but remember the Sex-box scandal? Remember what it was like to be on the other side, to have something you love under irrational attack, and to know that they're wrong, and to know that no-one will listen? When people just jump on the bandwagon without getting the facts, they're just as bad as all the people who bought into the Mass Effect sex simulation BS.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here