The Escapist Show: Episode 41: Legacy Games

Episode 41: Legacy Games

The Editorial Team weighs in on the Legacy Battle with their favorites.

Cast your vote in the Legacy Battle here.

This week's musical guests:

Ian Dorsch - "Escapist Show Theme"
Younnat - "Yesss"

Watch Video

*sniff* None of you mentioned Age of Empires...

Finally got a look at that list. The absence of Battlefield and Burnout saddens me. Also, less saddened, but Sims/SimCity I'd consider two very different franchises. Ah well.

Good to know John Funk likes Pokemon and Warcraft. I learn something new everyday! ;)

Lvl 64 Klutz:
Finally got a look at that list. The absence of Battlefield and Burnout saddens me. Also, less saddened, but Sims/SimCity I'd consider two very different franchises. Ah well.

Good to know John Funk likes Pokemon and Warcraft. I learn something new everyday! ;)

Sarcasm is unbecoming, good sir.

The hell is with all the Dallas stuff? o_O

Wierd, I though one of the team would have picked Final Fantasy?

LOL DALLAS!!!

I'm the only Megaman Legacy fan here? =(

Susan Arendt:

It's also a legacy? (13 seasons)

I picked less than 32. I felt I picked all the deserving and then some doubtful ones too by the time I reached 17. Too much average stuff.

Agree with Mr. Funk whole heartedly on the pokemon game mechanics. And how it's not just for kids; I think Pokemon will be getting my vote. Also loved the fact that he's talking about complex strategy and the video shows the starter fighting a starly possibly the least strategic fight ever "I only know two moves, and I'm never gonna use growl"

messy:
Agree with Mr. Funk whole heartedly on the pokemon game mechanics. And how it's not just for kids; I think Pokemon will be getting my vote. Also loved the fact that he's talking about complex strategy and the video shows the starter fighting a starly possibly the least strategic fight ever "I only know two moves, and I'm never gonna use growl"

What about a six-pack of lvl 50 Pikachus? Surely that would have made for a battle of wits, with chess-like strategy. :P

I disagree with the Elder Scrolls series in some ways - Morrowind I didn't really like, and Oblivion had the hollow eyed characters in frankly tiny cities for the real world - an uncanny valley effect really.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

Battlefield, definitely, should be in there! Its the best game at large scale team based multiplayer (at least, on maps without aircraft to screw everyone else over).

You're right Funk, Eevee is awesome.

I kind of wish that you Russ and Funk had gotten to explain their final ones in more detail. It was really just a passing mention. Almost every other one had an explanation, but Half-
Life
and Warcraft both got a bit shafted right there. Though, I guess I can assume you like them for much the same reason many people in the community like them.

GO EEVEE!!!

I know what it's like to mostly stick to one area in an Elder Scrolls game. I haven't played Morrowind in years, and I still remember where everything in Balmora is.

Seamus8:
LOL DALLAS!!!

No. I love the old Megaman games, loved 9 as well. X I enjoyed the first 3 games. Heck, I liked the first 4 Battle Network games, especially Battle Network 2. Zero was fun, at least the first game was.
Plus I'll never forget Megaman Legends.

You're not alone, don't worry.

iamq:
*sniff* None of you mentioned Age of Empires...

And no Baldur's Gate either..

*sniff*

Baldur's Gate is so awesome! I think I'm going to install BG1, TOSC, BG2 and TOB again, and start with one character which I will export through the whole series!

Wooah!

CaptainCrunch:

Susan Arendt:

It's also a legacy? (13 seasons)

Crunch was demonstrating his ability to take something I said completely at random and make ridiculous video out of it.

"It was you!"

AboveUp:
I know what it's like to mostly stick to one area in an Elder Scrolls game. I haven't played Morrowind in years, and I still remember where everything in Balmora is.

Yep, Balmora was my favorite spot in Morrowind, too. :)

Oh you fools, do you realize the can of worms you've opened, it's going to turn into another March Madness, the forums will fill with angry fanboys, the inbox's will fill with angry PM's and angrier quotes, and the posts will run red with angry red font. Truly these are the end of times, repent before it is too late. REPENT!! *runs in circles for five minutes then curls up into a ball for a nap*

I would go with the Thief series of games // They where one of the first games that I played which where opened world and I enjoyed the plot/storyline behind what I was doing, rather than just going from point A to point B and collect/kill things on the way

I got so involved that I just wanted to replay ever lvl to find all the hidden loot and listen in on all the nps talking

Good times

-M

Er... Koei is universally panned?

Dynasty/Samurai/Orochi Warriors aren't that bad are they?

And Hitman, disgaea....

Seamus8:
LOL DALLAS!!!

\

No sir, you are not :)

Star Wars 4EVR. No seriously.....nothing beats Star Wars.

Tom Clancy? Well thats my vote taken care of.

Total war anyone?

(it's a legacy!)

The 32 have be chosen, now pick which one will win! http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.130622

I'll have to agree with John here and say Zelda and Pokemon. I've always loved those series' games. Everyone is just hours of fun play time.

Metroid and Zelda are my two favorite legacies. I've actually been replaying Super Metroid recently. Castlevania is up there too.

Nothing beats Star Wars and certainly not Star Trek lol.

I loved cheydinhal, saved up as much gold as I could so I could buy the house their and have more of an excuse to visit.

The man with a Poke' ball on his shirt likes Pokemon? I never saw it coming.

CantFaketheFunk:

Sarcasm is unbecoming, good sir.

Sarcasm is the height of wit.

Darth Trethon:

But we're talking about the games and honestly, for the most part...Star Wars games are pants. :(

sounds like its gonna be great. ill be backing Warcraft and Call of Duty all the way.

Susan Arendt:

Darth Trethon:

for the most part...Star Wars games are pants. :(

i must disagree. they are a few gems hidden in the pockets. Star Wars Battlefront, KOTOR, The Force Unleashed, and a few i havent heard about.

Christemo:

Susan Arendt:

Darth Trethon:

for the most part...Star Wars games are pants. :(

i must disagree. they are a few gems hidden in the pockets. Star Wars Battlefront, KOTOR, The Force Unleashed, and a few i havent heard about.

Yes, some are gems, but what I said was "for the most part." Which, I'm sad to say, is all too true.

It just seems rather odd to mention that you're only talking about games because the episode started with a scene from the TV show Dallas which as far as I know never had any games made after it.

Personally I have yet to see a game with a more compelling and well written story than KotOR. Then Battlefront and TFU also managed to get very high fan support and I greatly enjoyed both.

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 62222)