China and the World of Tradecraft

China and the World of Tradecraft

What could be worse than the wrath of the Lich King? How about the wrath of the Chinese Ministry of Culture.

Read Full Article

What the hell, China, what the hell.

This doesn't surprise me, though. A lot of countries try to stop foreiners from being successful, at least at first.

Poor Blizz,

But yea, china is insane with all this stuff about WoW and also about trade.

Poor players,

Whoever is surprised, raise your hand.

So does this mean less gold farming?

With all this happening in China I wouldn't be surprised that when we look back on things that this is probably one of the main reasons why Blizzard hasn't released Battle.net 2.0, thus delaying Starcraft II into the next yet.

Fearzone:

No, they play on the Western servers. This only applies to Chinese servers. In fact, many hardcore Chinese WoWers got around it by playing on Taiwanese servers.

Fearzone:

Racist! Yeah probably does.

May I just say, full kudos and appreciation to Mr. Pilarowski for including the stock links.

The Escapist: I do it for the business.

Between lead toys and making it incredibly hard to due business there, China is just such a joy to trade with.

CantFaketheFunk:

Fearzone:

No, they play on the Western servers. This only applies to Chinese servers. In fact, many hardcore Chinese WoWers got around it by playing on Taiwanese servers.

Then why not just screw China?

Why not just find a way to expand Taiwan servers? Have all the fans flock there and leave China to see money that could have been theirs slip by...

Then their governments wonder why the citizens are emigrating en masse and the national birthrate drops like a rock.

Man never knew the industry could be soo complicated with "red" tape

well... i dont blame the chinese to try and be restrictive of what the foreign market sends to them, but it seems hipocritical that they are stopping the entrance of foreign industry when their industry floods the world market with pirated crap... its like they are afraid of quality products.

i wouldn´t be surprised if they somehow managed to "steal" some basic coding of WOW and publish a MMORPG called "World Of Warman"

or something like that.

I'm surprised that so many intend to stop playing WoW because of this. It looks like they view it merely as a form of entertainment created by white devils who should be grateful and in awe that genetically superior Han Chinese would play something made by children. Even though I said that, I love the attitude! It seems like it was just a phase for many in China to play it that much.

Remember, also, that China was essentially used as a place to get resources from for a long time. It's people were utterly disregarded by Europeans who stomped on them like nothing. The most drab of people could not even begin to comprehend their hatred for the Western world. China kicks ass, and I'm not Chinese! They played your game for a bit, but now it has been waved aside! That's the same way they feel about the Western World (the most patriotic, I'm guessing).

Sucks to be Chinese I guess. I wonder how many gold farmers closed up shop over this.

Rigs83:
Sucks to be Chinese I guess. I wonder how many gold farmers closed up shop over this.

That's a good point, it really will suck for gold farmers. Although ordinary players will now get to learn how many farmers were really Chinese.

Lonan:

Rigs83:

That's a good point, it really will suck for gold farmers. Although ordinary players will now get to learn how many farmers were really Chinese.

The gold farmers play on western servers, the article is regarding the operation of WoW servers in Mainland China, not the west. The western servers are not blocked in China, and obviously the PRC doesn't have the authority to shut down servers in the west.

Chinese tend not to play on the western servers because of the higher cost( In mainland China it costs 30rmb for 66 hours ), and language/cultural barriers. Mainland Chinese played on the Taiwanese servers before the outage, because in the words of one of my Chinese colleagues - "The Chinese servers are a piece of shit, and they don't have Wrath of the Lich King"

I hope this will strangle the gold farming business for good. Those bastards don't deserve a penny for their efforts.

I'm siding with China on this one. Anything that hurts WoW and Starcraft II is good in my book.

Destal:
Between lead toys and making it incredibly hard to due business there, China is just such a joy to trade with.

This is what they get for being out of the loop for so long, back before they fell out of the trading world (if they were really in it in the 20th Century) lead wasn't banned from most countries, and world trade was just becoming a real concept with advances in transportation.
Whether or not they get their head out of their butt remains to be seen.
And Chinese aren't the only big gold farmers out there...look across the street to see more.

China: So you guys want to make a simple switch of local isp's do you?

Blizzard: We sure do and boy howdy are we excited, and we don't expect any interruption of service!

China: *snickers* Right, do you want me to show you the red tape, or just freeze you in carbonite and drop you in a vat of red paint?

Blizzard: Wait, wah?

China: Carbonite it is! :)

*trap door opens*

Blizzard: AHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh!!!

On a more questioning note, I thought all this had been resolved? What gives with this new development?

LOLOL, CHINA.

Very interesting article, while I had heard about this somewhat this was much more informative than internet rumors and hearsay.

Just a note, check the link at the end, it goes to a nonexistent page on Escapist instead of an external link.

Well, it's awful business practise for China, and everything, but I'm finding it hard to feel sympathy for anyone. I mean, WoW players can go on a different server, Activision Blizzard aren't exactly strapped for cash, and China's, well... China. It's the Chinese governing bodies that are making it difficult.

China's trying to have their cake and eat it. They really want to control the spread of information and how their people interact. Communists, but with capitalist investments.

Lonan:
I'm surprised that so many intend to stop playing WoW because of this. It looks like they view it merely as a form of entertainment created by white devils who should be grateful and in awe that genetically superior Han Chinese would play something made by children. Even though I said that, I love the attitude! It seems like it was just a phase for many in China to play it that much.

Remember, also, that China was essentially used as a place to get resources from for a long time. It's people were utterly disregarded by Europeans who stomped on them like nothing. The most drab of people could not even begin to comprehend their hatred for the Western world. China kicks ass, and I'm not Chinese! They played your game for a bit, but now it has been waved aside! That's the same way they feel about the Western World (the most patriotic, I'm guessing).

Really? Is this just pestering white hegemony? I don't think so. However i do think that having your switch of isp needing 2 pre aprovements from governement facilities (who can take as long as they like in any country) is just looking to be important. "GAPP will suspend the approval process for all games from the foreign company until the disputes are settled to the satisfaction of the Chinese company." That's just wrong.

Anybody checked out those trade deficit numbers? While China only seemed like the best place to trade for a couple of years, trade has actually been snowballing since 1997, i never knew that...

Why communism sucks part 1, they don't do whatever Blizzard wants them to do. lol

Commies SUCK!!!!!!!

ubercow29:
Commies SUCK!!!!!!!

Is this 1970? :s Ah well, at least there'll be some alright music for the next decade, but I'm killing myself come the eighties...

As for the actual topic, it's a shame, but couldn't Blizzard just improve their Taiwanese servers and let the Chinese players play on them? Come to think of it, couldn't companies do much the same thing for Australia?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here