Rebecca Mayes Muses: Bionic Commando

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Wow that was excellent. I love being pleasantly surprised and I just was.

Thanks, very good.

SpiderMan dance won me over. Good job.

Heh I actually clicked the vid preparing a comment about how repetitive your songs are. I was going to say that they are all the same "slow, soft" style and that gets boring pretty fast.

But in fact I was surprised. The song is different than the 2 other ones I know (on this site) and it reviews the game pretty darn good! If I could rate this song I'd rate it 10 out of 5!

Not impressed at all...

Nice try but trying to pass of Apple's "Garageband" music loops that come with the software won't get you very far.

It made me laugh when you pretended to play instruments to it though - especially the guitar.

I made a similar song back in highschool by throwing random pre-recorded loops together, ironically I used the same loops too.

That was like one of those good 80's songs.Catchy and electronic.

Meh,don't get all theses nay-sayers. I like her stuff - It's a break from the norm that isn't half bad.

Considering the amount of time you seem to spend on each song (which I think people need to be reminded is not that long) you've done very well, with all your videos.

I honestly love watching them, sure sometimes the lyrics don't seem to match up, but that's honestly something I like about it.
You seem to bring something poetic to a medium that people once used to think was just hardcore remixes of already established music.

You've hoenstly redefined "Video Game music" for me.

I love your style, keep it up, this was also brilliant.
as are your others, and I honestly wait to see your videos up, because I like listening to your voice.

It mellows me out, which often music doesn't do.

I dont what makes me love her more, the fact that shes attractive or that she owns her own Spiderman costume :)

i liked it a lot, and Bionic Commando was better in the eighties, dammit!

ThatJagoGuy:
Reeeeally not wanting to be sexist, but I can't help but feel that a lot of the praise directed at this series is purely because she's a she... and not dog-balls ugly.

Actually, now that I think about it. That is why I like it. She is a very warm personality - a familiar face that I can relate to. She reminds me of my own friends and plays nice melodies. And on top of that, she keeps getting better with every video.

Was expecting a more mellow song like the last two, but instead I got something completely different. I'm really liking this series. It's updated often enough to keep me interested, but not to much to make it stale, and I can't wait to see you dabble in other genres.

Right, so I just got back in from a night out and i have to say I don't like it, didnt like the first one liked the ghostbusters song but this ones no.. I'll watch it agian tommowrow or today whatever it is now, maybe i'll like it then after drink has worn off. I'm not sure at all what to make of you.

I just watched all three in succession. I'd seen them on the videos page for awhile and finally decided to check them out and was pleasantly surprised. Nice music, good subject matter and good videos.

It's too bad so many people feel moved to trash this.

Personally, I'm going to repeat my appeal for some form of an .mp3 download link. But this time I have a new reason, not just "it'd be great to hear on iTunes."

This time, I want to high score it on Audiosurf. This one would be a fantastic Audiosurf song, I can feel it.

Also, loved the 80's retro. Definitely made the video.

Slyde:
Not impressed at all... (etc.) ...Garage Band...
I made a similar song back in highschool by throwing random pre-recorded loops together, ironically I used the same loops too.

I'm surprised nobody else picked up on this.
Anyways, I just got a moderator warning for my earlier post. I'm sorry you're offended. I'm not sorry I offended you. I'm just tired of people giving these "omgwtfbbqone i love you pretty singing girl" reviews and commentary when the music is mediocre, the videos are hastily cut and cobbled together, and the lyrics are faint and distorted. I realize the videos are done in a week, but I've honestly seen better come out of a week.

What a good surprise you are, Muse of Musing.

Chester41585:

Anyways, I just got a moderator warning for my earlier post. I'm sorry you're offended. I'm not sorry I offended you. I'm just tired of people giving these "omgwtfbbqone i love you pretty singing girl" reviews and commentary when the music is mediocre, the videos are hastily cut and cobbled together, and the lyrics are faint and distorted. I realize the videos are done in a week, but I've honestly seen better come out of a week.

As with internet game based song videos, as with anything in life, you do know people have different opinions, right?

I'm not trying to attack your post here, I'm just trying to let you know that because you see it as hasty and mediocre, doesn't mean everyone else does. And if they do enjoy it, and you don't, there isn't really a problem, is there?

I have followed the sites for a while, but haven't posted until now.

I just want to say that I thought this song was really good. On the first two, I found myself thinking that the videos were funny, and it was somewhat cool that someone sung about video games, but the songs weren't too great. I liked this one much better though, so good job.

after someone that did play bionic commando explained why the video was funny,
I guess.....that if it was a little funny than it was good.
sorry about my comment earlier, but I was right, I just didn't get the jokes because i never played the game

ThatJagoGuy:
Yer - I'm gonna jump happily onto the 'WTF?!' bandwagon with this one. I didn't get into the previous efforts but decided I'd give it 3 goes to be sure. I could never put my finger on why I didn't like this series but I think I know now.

Basically, this series doesn't seem to know what it's for. Is it comedy? Well, it's not very funny so probably not. So it must be informative, right? Nope - it's pretty weak on that front too. It's just... a tune then? Pretty much!

I reckon the idea of gaming-based songs has massive potential... but simply having adequate music without humour or much more than a cursory knowledge of gaming surely can't cut it on a site based around in-depth gaming and decent comedy. What purpose are these vids supposed to serve?

Reeeeally not wanting to be sexist, but I can't help but feel that a lot of the praise directed at this series is purely because she's a she... and not dog-balls ugly.

Just my two cents...!

This song actually had a recognizable purpose as a musical review.

"You're no SpiderMan" "But you can't roam free." These lines are about the "web-slinging" like ability the main character has, but there's no form of free-roaming, so that essentially eliminates the purpose.

"Take me back to the eighties." The first Bionic Commando was much better, and all this new stuff makes the game more complicated (and worse) than it should be.

If you listen to the high-pitched and low-pitched in game dialogue, you can tell that she's making fun of the game for what it's become. For example: "That's people you're breathing."

I like Rebecca's work because she works with the genre of music I like while keeping it somewhat related to video games, not because of her face or gender (I don't even like women.)

Ehhh i clicked on this thinking 'ahh what the hell can't be bad right'. Verdict it's not great. You can sing no doubt just well... i guess i expect a laugh out of this sort of thing?

What about purepwnage? They make people wet themselves with laughter in their songs. Why? cause their jokes are taking the mic out of gamers themselves while doing it in the character of a gamer.

I guess this could work just needs heavy tunning first... First step would be to decide what it's trying to be a comedy? a review? or a game related song?

Kuliani:

I think a close simile would be metal music and chess.

I think they're called Tool. :P

JugglerPanda:
This song actually had a recognizable purpose as a musical review.

"You're no SpiderMan" "But you can't roam free." These lines are about the "web-slinging" like ability the main character has, but there's no form of free-roaming, so that essentially eliminates the purpose.

"Take me back to the eighties." The first Bionic Commando was much better, and all this new stuff makes the game more complicated (and worse) than it should be.

If you listen to the high-pitched and low-pitched in game dialogue, you can tell that she's making fun of the game for what it's become. For example: "That's people you're breathing."

Great, so we learned that BC is an 80's franchise with linear web-slinging. Also, that there is dialogue in the game. AH! Information overload! I could probably sum up that much info in a Haiku -

Can't swing where you like,
80's bionic man who,
Speaks like Mike Patton.

Voila! The fact that she preferred the 80's version is of no use to me as it states in her bio that she is primarily a retro-gamer. Bias much?

JugglerPanda:
(I don't even like women.)

Sexist. >.<

Like a few people already said, this is actually the first song that I really liked.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and this one is mine:

I had some doubts after seeing the first two videos, but this convinced me to stop watching them entirely.

slipknot4:
NO! Just no... A gaming song should be something you could relate to, not completely new.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgbWwhmVbM&feature=channel

That is an awful link you just stated everything wrong with gaming music
1. unoriginal
2. very little talent
3. repetitive
4. content is puerile

Great video, I like these.
Nice tune, catchy, and easy to listen to.

I am amused

To me it sounds like she is speaking backwards, then playing that backwards so we have this.

Pseudonym2:
Is there any reason why you always look like you're going to cry most of the time in your clips?

Other than that I think I can see the musicale reviews catching on.

there is quite alot of rampart pouting at the camera.

but yeah good video :)

Slyde:
Not impressed at all...

And that's ironic is it? You are Alanis Morissette, And I Claim My Five Pounds!

I'm sure Rebecca doesn't take the negative comments to heart. Personally I think it's great stuff. A very original and welcome take on game reviewing. Keep up the good work Ms Mayes!

Way too messy for my ear.. Might be overdoing it a tad.
Love the ghostbusters one though.
It's not bad, just, too much. :P "There's too many notes!"

murphy7801:

slipknot4:
NO! Just no... A gaming song should be something you could relate to, not completely new.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgbWwhmVbM&feature=channel

That is an awful link you just stated everything wrong with gaming music
1. unoriginal
2. very little talent
3. repetitive
4. content is puerile

1. It's a parody
2. More that muses
3. So is the Bionic commando song
4. It has something to do with the game, i have my suspects that Muses have never actually played the game in question.

I now watched it about 5-10 times since its release and I must say: I like it! And that despite I had troubles even watching it in the first place due to its predecessors.
Of course it ain't no musical masterpiece and I can understand some complaints on instrumentation (read: generic synthi-loops). But if it's a good output (which I would claim), then why bother on the input she used?

BTW, nice voice!

It is a nice idea with these songs. Not all of them are quite to my liking (and not my prefered genre of music) but it is a pleasant break in the daily life on the web.

Carry on with your musings Rebecca.

I guess this is sort of a love-hate thing, because I... er... still don't get it/like it. I think in the first video's thread BabyTea hit the nail on the head: I don't know if this is supposed to be funny, poignant, mildly amusing, etc. In any case, I didn't like this any more than the others. I've watched all of them to see if they get any better (like Apocalypse Lane did), and I'm still waiting.

I admit, the first time that I see each of her videos it makes me think its bad.

The second time I see the video I suddenly get it and think it's good.

i hope someone else can say it happens to them or I will feel really bad about myself

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here