Rebecca Mayes Muses: Bionic Commando

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

RiffRaff:
This is a bit of a back handed compliment: This is the first of your videos I actually liked.

It might be mean, but I actually agree with this comment x.x

Pretty nice, I like that someone is making some out there making original songs about games. It gives me hope that others will start doing it.

ThatJagoGuy:
Yer - I'm gonna jump happily onto the 'WTF?!' bandwagon with this one. I didn't get into the previous efforts but decided I'd give it 3 goes to be sure. I could never put my finger on why I didn't like this series but I think I know now.

Basically, this series doesn't seem to know what it's for. Is it comedy? Well, it's not very funny so probably not. So it must be informative, right? Nope - it's pretty weak on that front too. It's just... a tune then? Pretty much!

I reckon the idea of gaming-based songs has massive potential... but simply having adequate music without humour or much more than a cursory knowledge of gaming surely can't cut it on a site based around in-depth gaming and decent comedy. What purpose are these vids supposed to serve?

Reeeeally not wanting to be sexist, but I can't help but feel that a lot of the praise directed at this series is purely because she's a she... and not dog-balls ugly.

Just my two cents...!

I cant agree more... all 3 were a let down to me... i tried to like it, but it just didnt happen

Edit: i just went onto http://www.gamepeople.co.uk/rebeccamayes_tv.htm and her video dont shoot them is quite well written and is a good song, so why cant we get video's from her like that on the escapist?

The amount of criticism this is getting compared to startups of the other series on Escapist is amusing to me. It's obviously not the worst thing on this site (Unforgotten Realms still holds that crown), so it's got to be because of one of two reasons (or both):

A) It's not going for annoying predictable humor. What is this? There's no punchline! How do I react?! This must suck!
B) She's a girl. GIRLS CAN'T MAKE INTERNET VIDEOS.

That's not to say I like it; the lyrics have too many segments where they flow awkwardly and the whole "musical review" thing doesn't suit my fancy (the music is good, though). But there's far worse on this site.

That spider dance is epic and sexy. For that, I thank you.

polygon:
The amount of criticism this is getting compared to startups of the other series on Escapist is amusing to me. It's obviously not the worst thing on this site (Unforgotten Realms still holds that crown), so it's got to be because of one of two reasons (or both):

A) It's not going for annoying predictable humor. What is this? There's no punchline! How do I react?! This must suck!

That's not to say I like it; the lyrics have too many segments where they flow awkwardly and the whole "musical review" thing doesn't suit my fancy (the music is good, though). But there's far worse on this site.

Yeah, UR is the worst. That's why a lot of people watched it before it got on the Escapist. Hell, I think a whole season was on the official site before they transfered here.

Also, you obviously didn't see how crappy the first few Apocalypse Lane episodes were. But they are funny now, maybe because they listened to people and stopped using fart jokes.

I liked this one. The lyrics repeat a bit too much in some parts but I suppose that mimics the repetitive gameplay. This series is looking promising but there's nothing outstanding so far in my opinion.

I liked this one, not as much as the ghostbusters but I think that is because the Ghostbusters are awesome (first film anyway). Anyway, keep up the magical songs and I will keep listening.

slipknot4:
NO! Just no... A gaming song should be something you could relate to, not completely new.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgbWwhmVbM&feature=channel

Nyhm FOR THE WIN!

Abedeus:

polygon:

Yeah, UR is the worst. That's why a lot of people watched it before it got on the Escapist. Hell, I think a whole season was on the official site before they transfered here.

Also, you obviously didn't see how crappy the first few Apocalypse Lane episodes were. But they are funny now, maybe because they listened to people and stopped using fart jokes.

Please stop complaining, it is very unnecessary and irritating.
If you didn't like the video, I get it.

But stop telling people how much you hate

kozmo:

Abedeus:

polygon:

You know there was little complaining... I mean, NO complaining in the post you quoted?

Sarcasm in the first part, compliments in the second.

Abedeus:

I love it when people try to defend things with the "OH BUT IT'S POPULAR SO IT MUST BE GOOD" argument. It's like they're invalidating their own position for me.
In what little I watched of Apocalypse Lane I concluded that it was much better than UR because, if nothing else, they put at least a little effort into the visuals.

I should make a form letter listing common "my webcomic/show/game/etc. isn't that bad" defense arguments and why they are inherently flawed.

Its awesome, but its not as good as your Ghostbusters song IMO. Still top notch work, keep it up!

Abedeus:

lokiroki:
Phenomenal work, Mayes. Again.

It's amazing how much I pretty much loathe the majority of the comments made to Mayes since the initial Sims video. Pretty much as a community, I would rate the members here at The Escapist to "middling-to-low" openess. And it's not because some people don't like it; it's that when they share their opinion it's coated in a snarky sense of entitlement that someone's creative work is worthless because it wasn't done in a style that they like.

Maybe it's just that I'm a grown-up and wear big boy pants, but at some point adults become capable to judge media based off what it took to create it, not how closely it fits their tastes.

Hahaha.

So wait, we can't judge based on our tastes? THEN BASED ON WHAT? On your opinions? On opinions of celebrities, movie critics? Or should we roll the dice and see if we like it or not?

Based on the level of creative talent that was required to create the work.

There's plenty of music that I don't like, yet still recognize requires both talent to create and is pretty good for folks that like that sort of thing. If I were to have a chance to say something to an artist, any artist really, that creates good work that I don't enjoy, I'd probably say a lot of things, but I'm pretty certain I wouldn't feel the burning need to say something disrespectful or pretend that my lack of enjoyment makes their work somehow less awesome or relevant.

I'm not really here to argue it though. This is something that you either understand, you will eventually learn, or you will never give a s---. If you're the middle, it'll dawn on you some day. If you're the latter, there's nothing you could say that will make us agree, and I'd just as soon avoid you.

Not saying that you're the latter per se... I'm just sayin'.

Really really good.
Much better than 'Ghostbusters.'

Abedeus:

kozmo:

Abedeus:

polygon:

You know there was little complaining... I mean, NO complaining in the post you quoted?

no you didn't get it, you said that apocalypse lane improved now that they listened to what people said and stopped using fart jokes. i thought that by that you meant to say that Rebecca doesn't listen to what people says and uses fart jokes which to my opinion is complaining

but never mind that, I probably just didn't understand what you really meant.

Beautiful, talented and a good review
I think I will keep watching your videos

kozmo:

Abedeus:

kozmo:

Abedeus:

polygon:

no you didn't get it, you said that apocalypse lane improved now that they listened to what people said and stopped using fart jokes. i thought that by that you meant to say that Rebecca doesn't listen to what people says and uses fart jokes which to my opinion is complaining

Wow, don't think so much, it's not working out.

Abedeus:

kozmo:

Abedeus:

kozmo:

Abedeus:

polygon:

Wow, don't think so much, it's not working out.

Look, I said I am sorry, it is just that there were so many comments that you complained and complained, so I just thought you were complaining here.

If you don't like the video, that's fine with me

But why did you keep on complaining so much?

I was wrong about you complaining in that comment, you were not complaining about this video, you were complaining about the first episodes of apocalypse lane.

And that is different, right?

I think you're on the right track. This could develop into something quite interesting.

I thought this song was incredibly catchy.

I'd find this more interesting if it wasn't dance music, any genre other than this would fit better in my opinion. It is something new though in any case and I will keep watching.

Keep up the good work! Best video yet.

OLOLOL DOWNTOWN STRINGS LIBRARY

Like most other I'm not quite sure what exactly your work is whether it some sort of review or a way of making jokes about the game. Their not always funny or to the point though so I think that a really general name for this would video game based/inspired music.

In that light this song is actually really good! It's a different style for your other two but that's fine. It seemed you were trying go for a more retro style which you reached but wasn't quite complete. Most of the elements were there but there a feeling of emptiness in it that stayed there even though it is a multilayer song.

I got on probation for this?
All i said was it lacks content, is not funny, the musics not great and i think the focus is too much on showing how pretty she is.
I had different expectations while watching her vid's and now i have changed them and i'll give them another chance.

Dammit, the beginning, from about 00:07 to about 00:15 is extremely similar to another piece of music, I think it's from the early 90's, anyone else get that feeling? It's driving me mad not remembering the piece. I'm currently going through all music Daft Punk ever made to see if it's some of theirs that this reminds me of.

Mertruve:
OLOLOL DOWNTOWN STRINGS LIBRARY

Please if your going to post, post something legible, and intelligent. On topic I enjoyed this video, and I hope her next videos can improve on these ones. It could very well become something I watch regularly

I love listening to this

Well done, again I really liked it. I have to admit that when I watched the first video, I was a little worried that it wouldn't really fit together as a good medium, but happily I was proven wrong. I can honestly say as well that this series is the first one on the Escapist where I've gone and rewatched videos, simply because I liked them enough to merit that. I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea but I really do like these videos, especially the fact that you seem to change the style each time so it's not becoming generic or boring. And that's a good thing, Rebecca. Keep it up and I reckon most of the people who've expressed dislike will eventually warm, because this series has a lot of potential. In the meantime, just keep up the good work :)

Those are Garage Band loops. The apple program? Yeah...

But thats not to say its not well done. I kinda liked it.

Is there going to be an album with the current stuff and more stuff that will be available within the near future?

Hmmm, no video this week.

If you people scared the lovely Rebecca Mayes away with your negativity then I will hunt you all down.
Yeah I got a crush on the girl with the guitar.
And I've also been listening to the Sims song constantly and I was looking forward to this being a regular feature.

If The Escapist puts these songs up for download I will love you forever :D

This is one of those things that gets better with time and experience.

Besides, we Escapists are harsh critics, so I'd say beyond all that, she's doing good. But I'm shocked that she didn't take her shoes off at any chances this time. Or did I miss it?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here