Escape to the Movies: District 9

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

District 9

This week MovieBob takes a look at the much anticipated District 9.

Watch Video

That was better then I expected. I'll try and see it soon then.

Sold! Checking movie times!
Seriously, I've been wanting to see this since I saw the first teasers.
And when I saw the trailer where the robot/mech catches the missile in midair, combined with what looked like (Based on the trailer) a pretty bitchen story, I was totally hooked.
And now that Mr. Bob (Who I don't always agree with, but lately have been more agreeable with) has said it's awesome, I'm dragging my wife to see it ASAP.

In fact, it plays tonight at 7:30.
I know what I'll be doing with my birthday money.

I am one of those people who resolutely wait for dvd for any film, and i plan to see this movie as soon as possible. IT. LOOKS. SICK. nuff said.

I've been super jazzed about this one since I first saw the trailers. I was wondering what the hell kind of movie this could possibly be. With about a million glowing reviews under it's belt calling it the best Thoughtful, Action Packed Sci-Fi since "Children of Men" (one of my all time favorite films) I don't think I'll be able to resist.

I still think Moviebob was a bit of an asshead on Star Trek, since you know, it's based on the original series which was Campy, Silly and more than a little bit Dumb.

Good one Bob, you've definitely made me curious.

But 10/10? Not that i don't believe you, but what will top this?

Lame...the movie only comes out here in the end of September.

All right I'm going to to see this now.

I also think it was a smart move to drop the Halo movie and focus on District Nine.

The hell Halo Is a great storyline I'm sorry if you can think for more then the 3 hours of a movie to enjoy something thats complexity driven, last stand action, and has more undertones then teenage angst.

How about steven Spielberg LOVING the halo movie idea you think that guy doesn't know a good movie when he sees one?

Edit: other then that though good review totally agree with you on that sci fi argument. its targeted twords dushbages what can we expect if idiots love something? I saw it last night and it really was as good as this guy says.

I am definitely intrigued by District 9, from what I can gather from the trailers it looks like a fresh spin on Aliens invading the Earth. Instead of the Aliens coming in and killing everyone with the Humans being the hostages, it's the other way around. The Aliens are the hostages and the humans are the ones being the assholes.

That being said, I'm not the most blood-tolerant guy out there. Anything with an "R" rating out there makes me worry about all of the extreme blood n' gore n' stuff. I know, I know, I'm a nansy pansy for worrying about this, but I can't help but feel squeamish whenever I see a bunch of people being dismembered or something (Ironically, I have little problem with doing that in a game....well, maybe a little). I'll definitely consider watching this though, mainly because I get a tingly sensation whenever I see the word 9.

Ficord:
The hell Halo Is a great storyline I'm sorry if you can think for more then the 3 hours of a movie to enjoy something thats complexity driven, last stand action, and has more undertones then teenage angst.

How about steven Spielberg LOVING the halo movie idea you think that guy doesn't know a good movie when he sees one?

Spielberg made The Lost World, War of the Worlds, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull/Temple of Doom, produced Transformers 1 & 2, Hook kinda sucked too and most of his 21st Century films are kinda bad/mediocre.

I think Spielberg doesn't see a bad movie when he is making/producing one.

PedroSteckecilo:
I've been super jazzed about this one since I first saw the trailers. I was wondering what the hell kind of movie this could possibly be. With about a million glowing reviews under it's belt calling it the best Thoughtful, Action Packed Sci-Fi since "Children of Men" (one of my all time favorite films) I don't think I'll be able to resist.

I agree completely, especially about Children of Men. One of my all time favorites.

Damn, unless I'm horrible at reading the Tomato Bar, Rotten Tomatoes has District 9 as a 91% fresh rating. Damn, that's pretty good.

Well, fuck! I'm glad I already got my ticket!

oliveira8:
Spielberg made The Lost World, War of the Worlds, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull/Temple of Doom, produced Transformers 1 & 2, Hook kinda sucked too and most of his 21st Century films are kinda bad/mediocre.

I think what happens is Spielberg likes to make a ton of cash and so he puts out what people will go to see and spend money on. That way he can finance his more serious films.

My first thought was this was a movie about 17 years out of date but I keep hearing enough good things about it to go see it.

George Palmer:

oliveira8:

I think what happens is Spielberg likes to make a ton of cash and so he puts out what people will go to see and spend money on. That way he can finance his more serious films.

And his more serious movies haven't been up to snuff either. The last GOOD serious movie he made was Saving Private Ryan.

Ok so im renting this. Why? Just because, personally i already saw my best movie of the year. Although this review let me know a little more about this particular movie, since everywhere else has been so vague about it. I still cant stand your review style bob, but every now and then youll make a decent point. Such as this time around. Ill see if you were right 6 months from now when i go to blockbuster.

George Palmer:

oliveira8:

He hasn't made a good serious movie in a long long long time. Munich could have been great but it was badly handled.

I so want to see this movie, to bad no theater in my country is going to show it.

Good recomendation, I'll definitly try and check it out, this looks impressive this time because it's once again notably different to any other Peter Jackson production, showing that the guy is more than just a one trick pony.

Also King Kong does rock.

Though I am sort of outraged he dare class the people who like Star Trek with the same douchebag impersonation that he used for Transformers. Star Trek was a good movie get over it. And I'd hardly call you audacious as you put it, your reviews do pretty much corresepnd to what ever the majority of the internet is saying, Star Trek excluded.

Casual Shinji:

George Palmer:

oliveira8:

And his more serious movies haven't been up to snuff either. The last GOOD serious movie he made was Saving Private Ryan.

And jeesh, that was what, ten, eleven years ago?

:D Well, I guess I know where I'm dragging my friends next week.

xmetatr0nx:
Ok so im renting this. Why? Just because, personally i already saw my best movie of the year.

Which was...?

Yeah, I'm definitely checking out district 9. I need to spend a weekend just going to the theater, I'm seriously backed up on movies I should see. I suppose District 9 not being a flop is a good enough reason as any to go.

Mayhap I'll see it then...

jboking:

xmetatr0nx:
Ok so im renting this. Why? Just because, personally i already saw my best movie of the year.

Which was...?

Yeah, I'm definitely checking out district 9. I need to spend a weekend just going to the theater, I'm seriously backed up on movies I should see. I suppose District 9 not being a flop is a good enough reason as any to go.

This limited release movie called "The Hurt Locker", definitely more my type of movie.

I was going to give this a pass since Hollywood's ability to deliver a decent SF movie is too common and the ads I saw reminded me of Roland Emmerich.

However, I will now check it out. Thx Movie Bob. (I'll be back to tell you if you are wrong but so far I have concurred with your reviews.)

I was planning to see this movie anyway. But after such a fantastic review I'll have to get some people together and get a move on to see it.

xmetatr0nx:

jboking:

xmetatr0nx:

Which was...?

This limited release movie called "The Hurt Locker", definitely more my type of movie.

Huh, haven't heard of it. Guess I'll look into it. Thanks for the pseudo-recommendation.

I already planned on seeing this without the review, but I thought I check it out for shits and giggles.

I guess you can't go any where on the internet without someone bashing halo...

Anyway, I guess I'm all alone when I say "I can't wait for a halo movie to come out".

Nice "review" anyway. A tad annoying at some parts, but eh, was nice.

YES!! i was hoping you'd like this movie, it's also good to see someone who appreciates Peter Jackson as much as I do.

I've been hearing good things about this film. Not just good things, excellent things.

Thank god Halo fell apart.

I dunno. Peter Jackson's King Kong didn't really fly well with me. Honestly, it was a bit long for my taste. It was good, but it wasn't something I would say is totally amazing. Even the Lord of the Rings movies were just okay until the third one. The third one is the best Jackson movie I've seen thus far.

That being said, I'm skeptical of this movie just like I am of G.I. Joe. I want to see them both but a rather empty wallet and a hectic schedule sort of keep that from happening right now.

Also, I did like your comments on the Halo movie/game. Pretty bland game would make a pretty dumbass movie. Curious what you think of the Prince of Persia Movie that supposed to be coming out not too far down the road.

I'm definitely intrigued, and your review made me more so.
I agree with your points about Star Trek, btw, but King Kong SUCKED. Only one bad movie is still pretty awesome, though, considering his volume of work.

It was directed by the same guy who was going to make the halo movie before fox and universal had a hissyfit and shot it down...

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here