Escape to the Movies: District 9

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Just finally got to see it last night... utterly blown away.

It is honestly my fave movie I've seen in 3 or 4 years.

The characters were honest, believable and the story was amazing.

The GC was absolutely mind blowing, but was understated... so you just believed it.

And do I really need to talk about the merits of the Tesla Cannons and Gravity Gun wielding mech...???

direwulf77:

Enosh_:
your hate for halo is getting fucking boring
we get it you don't like halo, no need to fucking put it in every second review, especialy since all you know are the games and not the bigger back story of the Halo universe

put down the nerd rage and pick UP MADDEN 010....punter

why should I?
I don't like american football
and wtf is a punter?

fact is his idea that a halo movie would be crap based on nothing else but that it is halo is a very crappy argument, especialy given the amount of back story there is to Halo and the ODST commercial preaty much proves that you can do a lot with a live action halo movie if you understand that backstory

SonicKoala:

direwulf77:

SonicKoala:

L9OBL:

SonicKoala:

flaming_squirrel:

SonicKoala:

No, I can't, because, for one, he was a total douche at the beginning of the movie so you can't help but feel that he had it coming, and two, his acting was certaintly less than stellar, to say the least. I am more than capable of emotionally connecting with characters provided that they are well developed, and the actor/actress can actually sell it. That did not happen in District 9. And also, the part near the end of the movie where he almost FUCKED UP EVERYTHING HE'D BEEN WORKING TOWARDS because of his tendency towards dickery (you know what part I mean) sort of ruined any chance I had of feeling sorry for this guy. Just as I was starting to warm up, BOOM, Douche is back. Serioiusly, no need to do the whole sarcastic guilt trip tone ("Nice One" - really?), that's my opinion of the movie, and I feel that i've backed up my opinion to the point where it's justified.

Unlike characters in a lot of American action/sci-fi movies he wasn't some testosterone fueled gorilla who bitch slaps the enemy while scoffing apple pie in the other hand, no, he was HUMAN. Due to this important fact that he didn't have balls the size of a tank when he was thrown into such a situation he flipped out, which would cause most people to do things that someone observing the situation would recognise as being a douche.
You're just watching it and thinking "omg y he do that" when if you try to consider it from the point of view of the character in such a situation it becomes more understandable. Also you should know why he almost screwed everything up, that's a fuck long time to wait.

It's spelled "fuelled", and i've never seen a character "scoff" apple pie (look up the definition). Just because he's reacting to certain situations the way most people would doesn't change the fact that he is, all in all, a totally unlikeable character. The fact is, the main problem I have with the character is the unconvincing performance that Sharlto Copley gave. You liked the movie, that's fine, but I'm sick of all this unjustified praise this movie is receiving. It's not that special. It's a decent sci-fi movie, nothing more, nothing less.

well if your sick of it then shutup and go away we like it let us like it but quit hating on it cause its not some terminator 2/bj blaskowitz/duke nukem-esque character and cant relate to characters who dont have biceps bigger than then their heads and your comment on the aliens "fighting back" would yield the same results as if only the jews where to fight back against hitler and the nazis. seriously the aliens may of had wmds in hand held format but the pmc controled the majority of the guns like one tenth of the aliens would have guens and the rest would have rocks and teeth. they were out manned and out gunned by one pmc let alone all the armies on earth. and the movie in general kicked ass it had the right propordion of everything with the exception of a script because there was none but that just makes the movie better seriously wats so shitty about the movie and dont say the character was an unlikable douche cause then yoor just saying every realistic person in the world is a douche (cause it aint true theyre dicks and assholes)and if its because its silently screams tolerance and racism go screw yourself and i dont care if i get banned or something for that i rarely use the forums n e ways so go screw yourself the characters were realistic and deep the story was good effects were better and violence and gore was well over the top of the just enough line for this kind of movie long story short good movie and if you dont like it cause everything was realistic go shove it up your tailpipe!

Okay, you are a die hard fan boy of this movie, and you really need to get over the fact that not everybody is going to love this as much as you clearly do. Secondly, I firmly believe that one is allowed to express their opinion provided they have justification for it. I'm fully aware that the main character wasn't some hyper-masculine super hero. I hate characters like that, what does that have to do with anything? You're saying that just because the main character of the movie isn't like that, then I have to instantly like him just because he shows more emotion than a sponge? That's bullshit, so no, I don't have to like him just because YOU tell me to. Can you not take from my comment that what I mostly disliked was his ACTING? He wasn't a very good actor! He DIDN'T sell the performance.

Secondly, I never said the movie SHOULD have had the aliens fighting back, that would have been expected, and hence would have made the movie worse. I questioned WHY they didn't fight back. They don't really seem to have a purpose being there at all, and the fact that these beings which had superior physical abilities and superior technology just totally gave in to all these humans who treated them like shit was a STUPID concept. Sure, it's original, but that doesn't mean it makes the story good. You also said (and mind you, i'm paraphrasing here, since your rant is rittled with poor grammar and spelling) "there was a good balance of everything with the exception of a script, which there was none, but that made the movie better." Um... okay. First of all, the movie had a script - it was poorly written, and the lack of a script wouldn't make the movie better. That would be called improvisation, and movies tend to avoid such a style (just so you know!)

You also seem to dismiss my claim that the unlikeability of the main character is not an acceptable reason to dislike the movie. Also, since this character is more "realistic", this then makes him the EXACT same as every single other person in the entire world (because we AREN'T all snowflakes, according to you), and therefore disliking him means I dislike all of humanity. I'm sorry, but that is argument is just SO STUPID and so illogical that i'm not even going to bother addressing it. You're retarded if you think that.

I'm not too sure what you mean by "it silently screams tolerance and racism". That seems to contradict itself. How can a movie have a message of tolerance and racism at the same time? I'm sorry if you think those words are synonyms, but they aren't (sorry to break it to you). As for this underlying message which undoubtedly is a reference to the days of Apartheid, that's a nice idea and all, but any chance of that concept having any significant thematic impact was lost in the cluster-fuck of a poorly-written script and mediocre acting. Thank you for telling me to "go screw myself" twice in the span of about 20 words, i'll be sure to get right on that. As for this claim that "all the characters were realistic and deep", no, they weren't. Yes, the main character showed more emotion than your average action hero. That DOESNT MAKE THE MOVIE GOOD, stop USING THAT AS JUSTIFICATION THAT THIS MOVIE WAS AMAZING! There are PLENTY of science-fiction movies that feature characters who are "realistic", it takes MORE than that to make a movie good. It takes GOOD ACTING for one! It also takes a GOOD STORY. District 9 had neither of those. District 9 was a decent science fiction movie. It is nothing special. I'm not saying I HATE it, i'm just saying that it is not deserving of all the praise its been getting.

Finally, your summarizing statement of how "if you don't like it cause everything was realistic go shove it up your tailpipe". Bravo for finding another insult rather than "go screw yourself". And really? Everything was realistic? What do you think was more realistic, the aliens? Or maybe their fisher price-looking toy guns? Or perhaps the concept that if aliens were to come to earth we'd decide that the best course of action was to establish a ghetto for them all to live in? Or maybe the idea that a race of beings sophisticated enough to master the art of space travel let themselves get treated like little bitches upon finding an inferior race of people? You really need to calm down, it's a movie. People are entitled to their own opinions. You also realise that if it wasn't for people like you who keep giving me their moronic fan-boy arguments over why I'M an idiot for not liking this movie, I would "go away".

someone doesn't have a GF

Lol, I do, and you're fucking pathetic.

*Edit: Just to clarify my response so I dont' come off as a complete douche, I say that because, when you are going to quote somebody, please make your response relevant to what your quoting. Me having a girlfriend has absoloutely NOTHING to do with what I said before.

Second, having a girlfriend does not mean spending every single waking second with that person. Being in a functional relationship involves respecting each others right to have a life outside of each other - if I choose to spend part of my time away from her replying to twats with stupid arguments, then that is what i'm going to do.

she's probably fat

Enosh_:

direwulf77:

Enosh_:
your hate for halo is getting fucking boring
we get it you don't like halo, no need to fucking put it in every second review, especialy since all you know are the games and not the bigger back story of the Halo universe

put down the nerd rage and pick UP MADDEN 010....punter

why should I?
I don't like american football
and wtf is a punter?

fact is his idea that a halo movie would be crap based on nothing else but that it is halo is a very crappy argument, especialy given the amount of back story there is to Halo and the ODST commercial preaty much proves that you can do a lot with a live action halo movie if you understand that backstory

PUNTER [DEF]:
-noun
1. a person who loves halo 2. a huge virgin 3. a person whose mother is so fat she pulls satellites out of orbit from the third moon of Jupiter.

You missed the joke in my flame entirely, guess it went way over your teeny little brain. In gaming culture (nerds) people that love HALO generally also enjoy playing madden and date raping underage girls. That live action ODST commercial you love so much was done way better in a little film by Jimmy Cameron called ALIENS.

Douche, now go play Gears of War.

direwulf77:

SonicKoala:

direwulf77:

SonicKoala:

L9OBL:

SonicKoala:

flaming_squirrel:

SonicKoala:

No, I can't, because, for one, he was a total douche at the beginning of the movie so you can't help but feel that he had it coming, and two, his acting was certaintly less than stellar, to say the least. I am more than capable of emotionally connecting with characters provided that they are well developed, and the actor/actress can actually sell it. That did not happen in District 9. And also, the part near the end of the movie where he almost FUCKED UP EVERYTHING HE'D BEEN WORKING TOWARDS because of his tendency towards dickery (you know what part I mean) sort of ruined any chance I had of feeling sorry for this guy. Just as I was starting to warm up, BOOM, Douche is back. Serioiusly, no need to do the whole sarcastic guilt trip tone ("Nice One" - really?), that's my opinion of the movie, and I feel that i've backed up my opinion to the point where it's justified.

Unlike characters in a lot of American action/sci-fi movies he wasn't some testosterone fueled gorilla who bitch slaps the enemy while scoffing apple pie in the other hand, no, he was HUMAN. Due to this important fact that he didn't have balls the size of a tank when he was thrown into such a situation he flipped out, which would cause most people to do things that someone observing the situation would recognise as being a douche.
You're just watching it and thinking "omg y he do that" when if you try to consider it from the point of view of the character in such a situation it becomes more understandable. Also you should know why he almost screwed everything up, that's a fuck long time to wait.

It's spelled "fuelled", and i've never seen a character "scoff" apple pie (look up the definition). Just because he's reacting to certain situations the way most people would doesn't change the fact that he is, all in all, a totally unlikeable character. The fact is, the main problem I have with the character is the unconvincing performance that Sharlto Copley gave. You liked the movie, that's fine, but I'm sick of all this unjustified praise this movie is receiving. It's not that special. It's a decent sci-fi movie, nothing more, nothing less.

well if your sick of it then shutup and go away we like it let us like it but quit hating on it cause its not some terminator 2/bj blaskowitz/duke nukem-esque character and cant relate to characters who dont have biceps bigger than then their heads and your comment on the aliens "fighting back" would yield the same results as if only the jews where to fight back against hitler and the nazis. seriously the aliens may of had wmds in hand held format but the pmc controled the majority of the guns like one tenth of the aliens would have guens and the rest would have rocks and teeth. they were out manned and out gunned by one pmc let alone all the armies on earth. and the movie in general kicked ass it had the right propordion of everything with the exception of a script because there was none but that just makes the movie better seriously wats so shitty about the movie and dont say the character was an unlikable douche cause then yoor just saying every realistic person in the world is a douche (cause it aint true theyre dicks and assholes)and if its because its silently screams tolerance and racism go screw yourself and i dont care if i get banned or something for that i rarely use the forums n e ways so go screw yourself the characters were realistic and deep the story was good effects were better and violence and gore was well over the top of the just enough line for this kind of movie long story short good movie and if you dont like it cause everything was realistic go shove it up your tailpipe!

Okay, you are a die hard fan boy of this movie, and you really need to get over the fact that not everybody is going to love this as much as you clearly do. Secondly, I firmly believe that one is allowed to express their opinion provided they have justification for it. I'm fully aware that the main character wasn't some hyper-masculine super hero. I hate characters like that, what does that have to do with anything? You're saying that just because the main character of the movie isn't like that, then I have to instantly like him just because he shows more emotion than a sponge? That's bullshit, so no, I don't have to like him just because YOU tell me to. Can you not take from my comment that what I mostly disliked was his ACTING? He wasn't a very good actor! He DIDN'T sell the performance.

Secondly, I never said the movie SHOULD have had the aliens fighting back, that would have been expected, and hence would have made the movie worse. I questioned WHY they didn't fight back. They don't really seem to have a purpose being there at all, and the fact that these beings which had superior physical abilities and superior technology just totally gave in to all these humans who treated them like shit was a STUPID concept. Sure, it's original, but that doesn't mean it makes the story good. You also said (and mind you, i'm paraphrasing here, since your rant is rittled with poor grammar and spelling) "there was a good balance of everything with the exception of a script, which there was none, but that made the movie better." Um... okay. First of all, the movie had a script - it was poorly written, and the lack of a script wouldn't make the movie better. That would be called improvisation, and movies tend to avoid such a style (just so you know!)

You also seem to dismiss my claim that the unlikeability of the main character is not an acceptable reason to dislike the movie. Also, since this character is more "realistic", this then makes him the EXACT same as every single other person in the entire world (because we AREN'T all snowflakes, according to you), and therefore disliking him means I dislike all of humanity. I'm sorry, but that is argument is just SO STUPID and so illogical that i'm not even going to bother addressing it. You're retarded if you think that.

I'm not too sure what you mean by "it silently screams tolerance and racism". That seems to contradict itself. How can a movie have a message of tolerance and racism at the same time? I'm sorry if you think those words are synonyms, but they aren't (sorry to break it to you). As for this underlying message which undoubtedly is a reference to the days of Apartheid, that's a nice idea and all, but any chance of that concept having any significant thematic impact was lost in the cluster-fuck of a poorly-written script and mediocre acting. Thank you for telling me to "go screw myself" twice in the span of about 20 words, i'll be sure to get right on that. As for this claim that "all the characters were realistic and deep", no, they weren't. Yes, the main character showed more emotion than your average action hero. That DOESNT MAKE THE MOVIE GOOD, stop USING THAT AS JUSTIFICATION THAT THIS MOVIE WAS AMAZING! There are PLENTY of science-fiction movies that feature characters who are "realistic", it takes MORE than that to make a movie good. It takes GOOD ACTING for one! It also takes a GOOD STORY. District 9 had neither of those. District 9 was a decent science fiction movie. It is nothing special. I'm not saying I HATE it, i'm just saying that it is not deserving of all the praise its been getting.

Finally, your summarizing statement of how "if you don't like it cause everything was realistic go shove it up your tailpipe". Bravo for finding another insult rather than "go screw yourself". And really? Everything was realistic? What do you think was more realistic, the aliens? Or maybe their fisher price-looking toy guns? Or perhaps the concept that if aliens were to come to earth we'd decide that the best course of action was to establish a ghetto for them all to live in? Or maybe the idea that a race of beings sophisticated enough to master the art of space travel let themselves get treated like little bitches upon finding an inferior race of people? You really need to calm down, it's a movie. People are entitled to their own opinions. You also realise that if it wasn't for people like you who keep giving me their moronic fan-boy arguments over why I'M an idiot for not liking this movie, I would "go away".

someone doesn't have a GF

Lol, I do, and you're fucking pathetic.

*Edit: Just to clarify my response so I dont' come off as a complete douche, I say that because, when you are going to quote somebody, please make your response relevant to what your quoting. Me having a girlfriend has absoloutely NOTHING to do with what I said before.

Second, having a girlfriend does not mean spending every single waking second with that person. Being in a functional relationship involves respecting each others right to have a life outside of each other - if I choose to spend part of my time away from her replying to twats with stupid arguments, then that is what i'm going to do.

she's probably fat

Congratulations on proving that you are a complete and utter dipshit who's probably 12 years old and posts absoloutely retarded comments that contribute nothing to the discussion.

SonicKoala:

L9OBL:

SonicKoala:

flaming_squirrel:

SonicKoala:

ok first off i never tried to say that you should like it i was merely saying that the way you explained why you didnt like it was retarded i really dont care but the way you said i dont like the movie cause the acting was bad sounded like i dont like the movie cause the main character was a realistic douche which makes you sound like a duke nukem fanboy and i never said you "had" to like him i just said that your reason for disliking him was gay though i understand that i missinterpreted what you said (i was sick all day and would miss interprit pokemon for yu gay oh or something cause i was beat from throwing up all day)so srry.

secondly i never said you said the aliens should fight back i said the reason why they didn't fight back was because they were out numbered by a single pmc had their weapons under custody aside from a few and shared the same fear as black slaves did when slavery was aloud in the 1800 thyey didnt uderstand that they had a chance if they revolted and the ones that did understand that they could do it where seen as nuts also they had no access (until the end) to the spaceship which actually would have been their only chance. why dont the 1 million slaves revolt against their 1 tyranicle ruler? cause the few that do are controlable and made are an example of making the rest too scared to do anything same thing with the prawn. thirdly fuck english grammar and spelling english sucks balls. and actually the movie had no script the director had an idea of how the scenes and story would play out, explained it to the cast and then the scene which was just explained to them was improvised. it was in an interview with the director cause i read them when i think a movie is good so i guess that makes me a "fanboy". but the fact that the movie and no script did make the movie better cause it was so successful anyone (with the exception of you)would take that info and think "the movie was improvised yet is the most succesfull movie yet (not in box office terms i understand that tdk made a shit load more but i mean it has the best rating so far by critics and the general populace) would think "gee improvised and really successful that just makes the movie even more awsome then before" and i know that movies avoid it improv cause it could turn out like shit i never said all or most movies improv this is like the first improv movie scince an improv group on saturday night live.

i never said everyone in the world was the same i said that you said that every realistic person was the same and i said disliking the main character wasnt a good reason to hate the ENTIRE movie cause if thats your ONLY reason its retarded (theres gotta be something else that didnt like aside from the character and the acting [theyre basicly the same thing shitty charater cause of shitty acting = one answer) and the paragraph explaining that we arnt the same and your not gonna bother addressing that argument is addressing the argument its like saying "i think bush is so fucking stupid cause he's a moron who can only make war which is so stupid im not gonna address it" cause you are addressing it its like saying "no comment" well sorry to say but that is a comment (and seriously if you comment on how irrelevent that was your a moron its an example ive had people say that about examnples like that)

ok your comment on how tolerance and racism was the stupidest thing if seen all week the message doesnt contradict itself any one w/ half a brain would know that a massage about tolerance and racism is a message about how we should learn tolerance and unlearn racism. petit jesus jaune vous etes un imbicile! and never used the charater being realistic as a justification. and the fact that you hate the movie is fine but saying that it sucks and shouldnt be praised in a forum full of "fanboys" and expecting not to get flamed and being dragged into these conversations does deserve you to be told to go screw yourself twice in about twenty words try saying something like star trek sucks or star wars sucks at a convention and to escape with out being hospitalized better yet say the ps3 is better and xbox sux at an xbox convention (or vice versa)i would pay to see something like that. also i suggest that if you choose your words carefully on your first post in a forum full of us "fanboys" cause saying something like i hate the movie cause the characters suck (you didnt metion acting or story) and saying this movie doesnt deserve praise is gonna get you flammed you shoulda left out the "it doesnt deserve praise and the movie sux" you wouldnt of gotten so much heat only like 2 people would of said something against your opininion (i wouldnt of said something cause your wording was "fanboy" wording only "fanboys" looking for a fight say "it sucks i hate it you shouldnt like it" so unless you just wanna pick a fight (making you a "fanboy" choose your words carefully and before you say like how would you know quite telling me what to do etc as you cleary stated I am a "fanboy" of this movie i love it and like picking fights with people who disagree and write in "fanboy" wording (pardon the termanology its wat suits it best for easy understanding now in debates where i dont want to pick a fight (xbox vs ps3 thats just gay and as much of a "fanboy" i am im no die hard "fanboy") a state oh i prefer the (oposite or same side as the debate) or i dont overly like it but i like this about it cause its better than this about the other thing and you wouldnt get flamed so much only morons with no research on the subject would flame you which arnt worth replying to in any way. if you would of said i dont like d9 but action scene was good or i liked the sfx you really would get flamed a cpl people would ask oh why? to which you should say in my opinion the acting sucked the main charater was a douche etc only the morons would flame you the my opinion and the but i like this/but this is better than doesnt make you look like a fan boy. and yes im and aragant know it all prick i know i know my schools is full of die hard "fanboys" so i found a way to say my opinion w/o getting into huge debates like this (unless i want to which was the case with this debate) so take my last bit into conassderation or don't i dont really care i was bored cause i was bedridden so i started a flame war o.k.? but if you comment on how the bit of advice was gay or stupid or something your a moron though if you say im comming off as a know it all or something i understand and wont care and yes i know the first bit sorta contradicts the last bit being part of my flame but wat ev cant wait to see how you reply lol (i know im weird)

lol the original was good the second was olay the third sucked balls though im a spidey fanboy so i liked all three

Just went to see the movie. Definitly one of the best movies I've ever seen. THX for the tip ;)

This movie has some of the most epic weapons. There was a good story behind it but the action sequences sold it for me.

Mr. Doe:
WHY did they set up a small slum for them in an african hellhole and not in some place reasonable I get that its social commentary but seriously an explenation for that is needed what we didnt have enough trucks to move them somwhere not in a state of dissaray? WHY were they all horribly rascist? WHY for the love of god did they not clear out the horrible gangs in the area? HOW did they set up district nine with all the horrible things going on there?

You ever hear of a species callin' itself Homo sapiens sapiensis an' doin' all kindsa damage to pretty much everythin'? Yeah? That species is why.

back to the review:

"Better aliens than Star Trek"?

*shakes head*

Star Trek had aliens?

Mr. Doe:
... the man who brought the lord of the rings to life.

Who did what now?

In the book, there was a character called Smeagol, who also called Gollum for the nervous swallowing sound he made. He was on the road to redemption, fighting the taint of the Ring, and loved Frodo as a hero and leige lord. His good progress was spoiled near the end by that irksome gardener chap, Sam, who never trusted him and never gave him a chance and opened his mouth and blew it, then the poor sod lost it and wound up taking a lava bath.

In the film, this character was nowhere to be seen, but a few superficially similar bits of story were acted out by the barber from High Plains Drifter. Having realised just how much putting him in instead sucked, he had a mental breakdown and was seen at one point shouting "Gollum! Gollum!" into a pool of water, apparently hoping the character from the original story would emerge and take over from him. For no adequately explored reason, footage of this incident was included in the cinema release of the movie here.

DreamingMerc:
Here's all I'm saying, there are proper ways to film and portray modern combat zones, District 9 is not a strong example.

This is what I mean by proper a combat scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clo4vUPVtCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWGvY-8qLW0

If your not fallowing these examples in your films, your doing it wrong.

Wow. Those guys have some seriously QUIET weapons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-mh70Ol3G4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSTteVgBaVk

Also: what, no damage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jdnTOQP7sc

Loud loud loud:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoDT1NGjTR8

For bonus points, guess where this Royal Marine caught it (ouch):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buDDqa0Mgr4

Mr. Doe:
I think we'd be more diplomatic/human/not Snidley Whiplash to the first Sentient non-human creatures we meet.

Like we were to dolphins, whales, chimpanzees, gorillas, Africans, the Japanese, the Vietnamese, Australian Aborigines, native Americans et cetera, you mean? They've all been considered and depicted as non-human at one time or another, in some cases because a government wanted a lot of scared and impressionable young men to find it really easy to kill them and, in some cases, take their stuff and/or land.

DreamingMerc:
Of course the "real reason open conflict in Iraq exist is because of NAMBLA, you see places like Thailand where they use to fuck little boys and shit, they're drying up. We're opening up a whole new market of kids," Corporal Josh Ray Person (As recorded during the first week of the invasion of Iraq). Please do note I am not arguing with you on this point as this is in fact an era of greed and profit and so are its wars.

One of the prouder achievements of the invasion: with the Iraqi oil supply disrupted, Saudi Arabia was getting a lot more US$ in incoming oil money, which (after the Taliban had taken their cut) allowed a lot of rich Saudis to drive up through Jordan and into Syria to buy sex with teenage (as in 13 years and up) Iraqi girls who'd fled Iraq with their families minus "traditional breadwinners" who'd been killed by one gang of armed thugs or another for whatever reason. Two million refugees in a country with Syria's GDP/C and population makes for easy underage sex for those with fists full of dollars.

SonicKoala: Let me just end a huge part of your problem with this film in one fell swoop; the key and most basic parts of District 9's story is this: The alien's leader/queen/whatever is dead. The aliens in the slums are basically the equivalent of worker drones. Like ants. Without someone/thing to lead them, they're docile and passive. Thus, they're not fighting back. This is explained quite early on in the film and reiterated a few times throughout.

Also, "How can a movie have a message of tolerance and racism at the same time?" - SonicKoala

I'm not sure how you can question these as focal points for a movie, as they've been used in many films before. Showing racism and tolerance. Learning, hatred, understanding, fear, acceptance, it's all a part of it. From Schindler's List to American History X to Gran Torino, just a few, widely spread examples.

The film is ALL about tolerance AND racism. The racism is based all around the almost exact-same scenario of what happened in South Africa. The wiki snippets relevant to this:

"Like "Alive in Joburg", the short film on which the feature film is based, District 9's setting is inspired by historical events that took place in South Africa during the apartheid era, with the film's title particularly referencing District Six. District Six, an inner-city residential area in Cape Town, was declared a "whites only" area by the government in 1966, with 60,000 people forcibly removed and relocated to Cape Flats, 25 km (15 mi) away. The film also refers to contemporary evictions and forced removals to new suburban ghettos in post-apartheid South Africa and the resistance of residents."

"The theme of racism and xenophobia is reflected in the derogatory use of the word prawn to describe the aliens. The term prawn could also refer to the Parktown prawn, a king cricket species considered a plague in South Africa. However, Copley said that this was not the main focus in the work, and that one could even miss it, but it would still work at a subconscious level." - Wikipedia

Next, you say;

"As for this underlying message which undoubtedly is a reference to the days of Apartheid, that's a nice idea and all, but any chance of that concept having any significant thematic impact was lost in the cluster-fuck of a poorly-written script and mediocre acting." - SonicKoala

Pretty much everyone I know who's seen this film picked up on the underlying theme and story. The film holds a lot of weight for anyone who has half a clue about what happened in South Africa, or America or any other part of the world with this kind of racial conflict. And the big difference with this film, is that it's an action film. It's not a deep, philosophical or existential look at race and creed. It's the kind of action film that we've always wished wastes of carbon, like Michael Bay for example, could make.

The difference here, is that our lead doesn't genuinely care about the aliens. He's sympathetic to their cause when it helps him. Otherwise, he'd wash his hands of them. He tends to choose them as a lesser evil, because he knows he's going to be/is being considered as one of them. Sure the actor may not be the best ever, but he gives the character a rough, natural edge.

Anyway, the film is far from being bad and is certainly one of the better sci-fi films I've seen in a long time.

MovieBob:

MB202:
About the Star Trek thing, you mentioned it was poorly written? No offense, but I didn't find the original series that much better. Everything was either corny or overacted.

From where I sit, most works of art/entertainment need to be judged at least in part in regard to the "world" in which they first arrived. For example, it wouldn't really be fair to take "points" away from the painter of Egyptian heiroglyphs because he didn't use as varied a color-palette as a laser-printer can today.

Likewise, IMO the original "Trek" series needs to be judged against other genre-television (or television, period) of the time. In which case it stacks up remarkably well... only certain top-tier episodes of "Twilight Zone" come close or exceed in terms of intelligent-ideas and interesting philosophical/scientific concepts being hashed-out in a narrative form. Now, in hindsight, is the dialogue a bit "arch?" The characters broadly-drawn? Yes. Welcome to television, circa-1966.

The 2009 movie, by contrast, comes off pretty poorly (again, IMO) versus many of it's contemporaries - i.e. other big-scale scifi blockbusters. It's far, FAR below District 9, Dark Knight, Watchmen, Iron Man, the first-two Spider-Mans, Serenity, the first Matrix... hell, it's not even as good as Fifth Element or Event Horizon. It's not even as good at it's own genre as Starship Troopers... and that was a PARODY ;)

Okay, then. We're all entitled to our own opinion. I just wanted to make sure I understood your reasoning.

Incidentally, I saw four of the original 6 Star Trek movies with the original cast (the good ones). They were all great, especially since we watched them on my dad's new Blu-ray player.

I liked the storyline, but what ruined the movie for me was the MASSIVE amount of F-words, I can understand maybe up to two dozen F-bombs in a movie like this, but 137 F-words (look it up, or count them yourself, it literally is used that much in this movie) is far past necessary and has completely dove into the excessive
other than that, it's a pretty good movie, the story and the general writing is just enough to redeem the EXCESSIVE use of f*** imo

This movie is fantastic, I think it's going to go on my list of best films ever.

3 words about this movie, REALLY. FUCKING. GOOD. Although I have to say I wouldn't go as far as to give it a perfect score. 9.7/10 I'd say. No movie I have ever seen has been perfect, not even the godfather.

Distric 9 is ok.
It's definitely not the best movie of the summer.

The main character is a prick.
And if you can't buy a storyline about a humanitarian-refugee-alien-crisis, then the movie is absolutely retarded. If you can be moved by the humanitarian crisis involving fictional aliens, then you'll like it. I did.

If you're like my girlfriend, and you say, "They're fucking aliens. Who cares?" then you'll fall asleep right before they break into MNU. Like she did.

I also have no idea where Movie Bob is getting this "Action Packed" B.S. from. You have to wait for over half the movie before any of the so-called action begins.

7/10 at best.
3/10 if you're not a nerd.

Oh my gosh, that movie is awesome. Normally I would wait until it's on DVD to see these kinds of movies, basically because I feel they won't be that good. But this time my brother asked if I would like to see it in the theatre and well after the movie I was dumbfounded by how impressed I was with the movie.

I had no idea really how to describe how impressed I was except by saying "YES! The story didn't get lost in all the gore and action, now that's a good movie!" Oh course that doesn't really tell people much, but this guy made my feelings for the movie perfectly clear. Good job!

Also some people may not feel it is a 10/10, mainly because everyone has different tastes. I would rate it in one of my favourite top 5 movies of the summer, and maybe give it a 8 or 9 out of 10, just cause I cringed a few times during the gross parts of the movie, though the movie may not have meant as much to me if they didn't include those parts.

I watched the movie at the cinema. This is definantely worth a look in my book. It managed to touch me emotionally in such a way that when the ruthless action-scenes takes place my heart was beating greater then it usually does in these kinds of films, simply beacuse I could sympathize and care about the characters. Most movies these days are way too rushed. It feels as if they are desperate with showing the action before younger audience members fall asleep. District 9 takes its time to introduce the characters and giving a solid background which you can understand without difficulty.

As I've stated previously there should be more movies like this one exploring new, refreshing ground. I hope others will follow this movie's example.

i'de seen this movie befor watching this, and all that he says is right, it is THE BEST movie of 2009
what's with this guy and halo though? he seens to obsess about hateing it more than most of the fan boys do praising it.
but yeah a brilliant movie

I'm sorry, MovieBob, I disagree. The action was pretty good, but the story was embarrassingly short on imagination. Monolithic corporation and PMCs as bad guys? Check. Anthropomorphic aliens? Check. Weapons and technology which look suspiciously un-alien? Check. Unlampshaded babelfish? Check. The only point I'm willing to advance them is the vaguely imaginative weapon effects and the ham-fisted commentary on apartheid.

Great review- The movie was great. Probably in my top ten movies of all time. although a Halo movie still could've been pretty cool.

movie bob i can totaly agree wiht you instead of making a junky halo movie they made a masterpiece (and yes people i hate halo series its so dumb and fucking stupid)

I wouldn't call the aliens antropomorphic. I mean, they have the same number of limbs and eyes as humans, and they're bipedal more often than not, but that's about it. They're a whole lot LESS human-looking than the vast majority of aliens in visual sci fi.

Also, I find it hilarious that alien technology made from scavenged scrap on EARTH might just look a bit like human tech. Let me rephrase that. I find it hilarious that anyone would find that odd.

i feel sorry i downloaded the dvd-rip from a pirate site =(
great movie though!

The Halo movie wasn't going to be based on the games as much as it was the fiction behind them (most of which is omitted in the games to make room for shooty-bangey ridiculously-awesome fun (yes, I went there)).

If you've read any of the novels, you know there is a truly great story within the Halo universe, even if it is never shown in any of the games.

Dude, leave halo alone. I f you don't like the concept of it, DON'T SEE IT.

what's the opposite of a fanboy?

This was the only movie I bothered seeing all summer. I kept seeing trailers and digging through it's plot and meaning that I felt like my curiosity would kill me if I missed out on this smash hit. I really didn't know what to expect going into it, and I thought it would just be rated R for racist remarks/refferences,but it wasn't, and it was, AMAZING. I've never come back from a movie feeling that satisfied of feeling as if my money was well spent on one of the most memorable films of my entire life so far.

Hey man, Gone Fishin' was a funny ass movie.

cant wait to see Sharlto Copley (?0, aka, Vikkers, play Murdock in the A-team Movie, even if Liam Neeson is probably going to butcher Hannibal. I await with extreme trepidation his attempt at loving it "when a plan comes together."

ill just pirate it.. I mean its not in theatres anymore.. I dont feel like going to find a place to buy the DVD if its even out yet.. I guess i could rent it.. But why pay when you can get for free? However i trust your opinion and if it was still in theatres i would hands down go see it there..

Have anyone of you heard of That Guy With the Glasses? There's this series called Bum Reviews, and he gave a poor review of District 9:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/bum-reviews/11374-d9#CommentForm

I don't get it... Was he just giving it a poor review because the Bum is stupid and doesn't get what's going on? Or is Doug stating his own opinions about the movie through the Bum? If so, that's a darn shame that he can see the relevance of this movie.

A amazing movie I saw it twice in theater and have the DVD. Love this movie.

this movie was recomened by every single one of my xbox live friends, and because I'm a bit of a nerd, and so are they. so I thought I'd haul my self and my girlfriend (after alot of effort) to go and see it. And it was terrible. I really can't recomened this film to anyone who isn't the sort of meathead idiot that thinks guns and explosions are cool, baiscally if you enjoy michael bay films you'll love this. otherwise go and see somthing better, and thats very easy to do this is on the same level of fun as betting glassed outside a pub in hull, whilst John Prescot sits on your face. that said its still not as bad as the twilight series.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here