Escape to the Movies: District 9

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

*checks the local movies* Never going to be there.
*checks the biggest cinema in 50 miles* nothing.

Seems I have to wait for the dvd release.
... *head bang to desk*

I plan on seeing it. It seemed nice, but now it seems fucking awesome.

I was intrigued by trailers for this and I still am now...

...as for Halo. Who says he couldn't have pulled it off? The characters aren't much to work with, but the storyline does offer the chance for expansion and improvement.

So I don't go to cimena at all. Because nothing is good enought to spend money on (they have americans for that) and I prefer to watch them at home, but if this movie suppose to be as good as MovieBob says... the sad thing is that Mr.Bob loves too many movies, and is too forgiving. I'd rather hear one or two bad things about a movie to not be suprised and pissed.

As for Halo I doubt that this can be a good movie. The main character is walking suit of armor and it doesn't matter who pays it, because in the end it's dubbing. Story is about shooting aliens and sometimes being an alien (Halo 2, because I haven't played the 3rd).

Gah. Why is it that you would consider these people's talents being wasted if the movie they made was good? Hell, they might have made something you could consider better than the Halo games for all you know.

Besides, I'm tired of people calling Halo bland/uninteresting/blahblahblah, as if there's no other way to see it. For god's sake, perhaps you just don't like that style of story? I for one found Halo's storyline to be fresh and interesting when compared to some classic science-fiction BOOKS... so yeah.

The rest of this I agree with though: I'm totally going to see District 9.

So, good thing I have bought tickets for this then.

I were really waiting for him to review this, the trailers have been vague enough to not spoil anything and still good enough to make you wanna watch the movie.

superb review, you didn't give anything away, you just told me to go see this movie.

I like that, thats what I need to know, I remember reading a review of Metal Gear Solid where the reviewer basically told you how to take out the boss's, I thought "hold on a minute, why am I reading this, he's gonna spoil the entire fucking game for me?"

I'll be watching this as soon as it comes out in the UK, and I'll be taking my sister whose psyched about it ( I made her watch the trailer but only told her that it was a film about racism ), and my good friends Adam and Kirstie.

I'm hoping to see District 9 tomorrow in a double-feature with Up. Been a while since my wife and I had an actual date.

PedroSteckecilo:
I still think Moviebob was a bit of an asshead on Star Trek, since you know, it's based on the original series which was Campy, Silly and more than a little bit Dumb.

The original Star Trek, yes. We've come to expect Star Trek since then to be more cerebral, methodical and carry some sort of social or psychological commentary. And then 'Enterprise' happened. It watered down all three series before it to a cold, damp, generic TV mush that left myself and quite a few others with bad tastes in their mouths.

The Star Trek movie does harken back to the campyness and fun of the original series while preserving some of the aesthetic and methodical plotting of the three middle series. Is it as good as the better episodes of Next Generation or Deep Space 9? No, it isn't. But it's better than 'Enterprise', 'Terminator: Salvation,' and many science fiction films of recent memory.

And I fully expect District 9 is going to flash-vaporize it right out of the fraking water.

Erlec:
*checks the local movies* Never going to be there.
*checks the biggest cinema in 50 miles* nothing.

Seems I have to wait for the dvd release.
... *head bang to desk*

If MovieBob's breathless ranting is to be believed, it's worth the trip to your closest major metropolis.

Shit, now I feel all obligated to go see it... the fact I still know nothing about it makes me nervous.

Still has to defend his opinion on Star Trek, I find that amusing. Stop being so stubborn and admit it was a better movie than you gave (give) it credit for.

I was at the very least intrigued enough by the premise to check this film out, glad to hear it's a fun action film on top of that interesting story. I'll probably check it out sometime this weekend.

And we here in the UK STILL have to wait til September 4th for no good reason. I WANT TO SEE THIS HOLLYWOOD, SHOW IT!

Sounds good, maybe I'll be obedient when some words take better "more" stress on sentences that aren't pejoratives.
@ Moviebob: I recommend a Dual-pass 720p WMV codec to go with those videos because it seems like whatever you're using Moviebob, doesn't translate well into FLVs. Or maybe you already are and I feel like a simpleton.
-
The video quilting after a .5 second look at a still is very jarring.

xmetatr0nx:

jboking:

xmetatr0nx:
Ok so im renting this. Why? Just because, personally i already saw my best movie of the year.

Which was...?

Yeah, I'm definitely checking out district 9. I need to spend a weekend just going to the theater, I'm seriously backed up on movies I should see. I suppose District 9 not being a flop is a good enough reason as any to go.

This limited release movie called "The Hurt Locker", definitely more my type of movie.

That looked amazing :[ I want to see it so badly. How good was it on a scale of 1 to 10?

Tottally going to watch it as soon as I have the opportunity. If peter Jackson is involved in something it's defenetly will be good. Maybe if they got the Halo out it still would been better than Bayzplosionarararar.

JimmyBassatti:

That looked amazing :[ I want to see it so badly. How good was it on a scale of 1 to 10?

Hmm i normally dont like doing 1-10 for my personal opinion. Lets just say i lose interest in movies really easily, like i didnt bother to see the LOTR movies until the 3rd one was out on dvd. So me seeing the Hurt Locker in theatres means it was definitely worth it for me. Sucks that its limited release, look up where its playing in Pennsylvania.

xmetatr0nx:

JimmyBassatti:

Hmm i normally dont like doing 1-10 for my personal opinion. Lets just say i lose interest in movies really easily, like i didnt bother to see the LOTR movies until the 3rd one was out on dvd. So me seeing the Hurt Locker in theatres means it was definitely worth it for me. Sucks that its limited release, look up where its playing in Pennsylvania.

I think it's playing at a cinema near my house :P

King Kong a good movie? Are you out of your focking mind?

Just saw this movie. Fully agree with this video. The movie was fantastic, best i've seen in a looooooong long time.

And to think I hadn't heard of this movie...

I think this will have to be a group outing though.

Sounds good, might just check it out.
And damn, am I glad that the Halo movie was dropped! Making films from video games is a bad idea.

I want to see this now even more than ever.

Ficord:
The hell Halo Is a great storyline I'm sorry if you can think for more then the 3 hours of a movie to enjoy something thats complexity driven, last stand action, and has more undertones then teenage angst.

How about steven Spielberg LOVING the halo movie idea you think that guy doesn't know a good movie when he sees one?

Edit: other then that though good review totally agree with you on that sci fi argument. its targeted twords dushbages what can we expect if idiots love something? I saw it last night and it really was as good as this guy says.

a halo movie would be a guessing one, where you could guess what would happen next due to the BOOK SERIES, THE NUMEROUS BACK STORY TABS, THE THREE SIX GAMES, and the upcoming diasterpiece of an anime. Maybe if a Halo movie was made around Halo: Combat Evolved it would work, but this far in age it would just be a joke.

AS for District 9,................. I cant say anything really, I want to see it but by the time it opens here it probably would of made millions in the UK. also, is it me or hasnt there been any movies this year labeled "Best X Movie of the Year"? Just from seeing the trailers [80 times in a row...........DONT JUDGE ME!] I think this has potential to win some people Oscars...........

TheEnglishman:
Good recomendation, I'll definitly try and check it out, this looks impressive this time because it's once again notably different to any other Peter Jackson production, showing that the guy is more than just a one trick pony.

Also King Kong does rock.

Though I am sort of outraged he dare class the people who like Star Trek with the same douchebag impersonation that he used for Transformers. Star Trek was a good movie get over it. And I'd hardly call you audacious as you put it, your reviews do pretty much corresepnd to what ever the majority of the internet is saying, Star Trek excluded.

Yeah Star Trek was a fun movie but as my mom said, it lacks a lot of the witty dialog and intelligence of it's precursor movies and even a lot if it's TV shows.

Ficord:
How about steven Spielberg LOVING the halo movie idea you think that guy doesn't know a good movie when he sees one?

Very bad example. Take of the rose-tinted specs and look back at his movies. They have all been a little crap.

On-Topic: This movie looks cool, and true, Moviebob was a little biased towards the new Star Trek film. There was nothing wrong with it.

I would think that even something as bland as Halo could be made into something really cool. Though now that I think about it, Halo is a rather shallow universe. Yeah it's big but it's not really wide, get me?

In any case, I was hooked from the beginning and was gonna see it anyway.

Also, this review was for Humans only. Non-humans attempting to watch this review will be killed.

I have been interested in seeing this movie since I first saw the teaser trailer, but now I HAVE to see it. It looks great, and it has got the Official MovieBob seal of approval.

/worshipping Moviebob

great reveiw, and thankyou for pointing out the fact that the halo film would be absolute dogshit

oliveira8:
Lame...the movie only comes out here in the end of September.

in my country it does'nt come out till the end of october. I can realise that up comes then since it needs to be dubbed but why this movie?
scource=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1136608/releaseinfo

While I respect that you don't like Halo, please respect that many people do. I'll be the first to admit it's not perfect or the writing as good as shakespeare, but it's still a fun game with a good story if you pay attention and actually give it a chance.

As for District 9, no I'm not going to go see it. I don't care if you loved it or hated it. I have long ago given up on hollywood and disgusted with theater prices. If it's a great movie now it'll still be a great movie whebn it comes out on DVD for me to rent. And if it really is that good then I'll buy it for myself. But not before.

I like MobieBob reviews and this one is no exeption, but please, buy a better mic :/

Wow, I thought this movie was going to blow but wow, Movie Bob, I may have to give it a chance.

Going to see it now, at 9:40 tonight, east time. Cant wait.

i went and saw the midnight premiere. it was epic. not the wussy prick "i jumped then stuck a guy in the head with a plasma grenade in halo" epic, i mean fuckin' "Webster defines epic as" epic.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here