Escape to the Movies: District 9

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

seryoga:
i hope its not a buzz kill like watchmen no offence to fans of watchmen i just didnt like the movie

None taken, it was a poor movie.

It was good but there was way to many WTF moments. Why do these aliens live in squalor when their weapons are so kick ass. Why after 20 years a better deal not been reached, why didn't they move the ship a lot sooner (obviously it's functional) and what the hell was up with the death squads that kill for the hell of it "PMC" that is just arbitrarily evil.
2 aliens take on a massive strike force and 2.5 million of them can't do shit? With all their firepower?!?!

Don't get me wrong it was good but still change 20 years to 1-2 and it would make a lot more sense why they still live in a slum why the PMC is doing research and why they haven't left yet. (in the functional ship)

i heard that the "graphic novel" was really good but the movie was just boring

Mr. Doe:

philosophicalbastard:

Mr. Doe:
[quote="philosophicalbastard" post="6.130933.2887758"][quote="Mr. Doe" post="6.130933.2886735"]My post

my second post.

Im pretty sure any Gang in Africa would start shit with a company coming on to their land to dump a whole bunch of aliens off and I dont think that a company would just say "Holy shit space aliens a great question mankind has been contemplating for thousands of years has finally been answered. but fuck treating them like that just happened Im gonna start killing these guys because I cant fire his gun" and there is no PMC that would succeed for five minutes if it was run by Captain fuckhead and then they wouldnt get employed by a HUUUUUGE company if their entire strategy was Shoot alot of Aliens, only hire Racist psycopaths and let the african gangs just chill with the aliens. Edit: and if the PMCs were really that evil wouldnt they have also just shot the Uncooporative locals?

It seems I can't convince you the plot made sense. I see your point, but I still believe it was a good movie. Hopefully you found this debate as fun as I did because sadly I will have to stop now for two reasons its late, and I can't come up with anything else that might sway your opinion so good morning to you and goodbye Mr.Doe.

Just seen it Friday afternoon after work. It was great.
It was a little slow in the first 20 minutes or so, but was worth it to see the foundation of an interesting story.
Then you get the plot twist, action, and gore your looking for.
It ends nicely leaving things open for a sequel, but not too much where you feel screwed there's never one.
I think this movie will do well if people get the word out on this great movie.
Hopefully well enough to get a sequel taking place 3 years later.

Yeah, I watched the movie earlier today before I saw this, and I can't agree more. This is the best movie of the summer for me, and probably the whole year (And maybe most of last year).
The only bad news I bring is that I have heard the depending on the success of District 9, he might go back to continue the Halo movie.

Omnipro:
Just seen it Friday afternoon after work. It was great.
It was a little slow in the first 20 minutes or so, but was worth it to see the foundation of an interesting story.
Then you get the plot twist, action, and gore your looking for.
It ends nicely leaving things open for a sequel, but not too much where you feel screwed there's never one.
I think this movie will do well if people get the word out on this great movie.
Hopefully well enough to get a sequel taking place 3 years later.

I don't know if I would want a sequel. They left it at a spot where I almost don't want a sequel, just because it might change the feel of the ending. Plus, I don't know mhat much they could do. I know somethings, but I won't list them for the sake of spoiling it for anyone.

I just got back from the movie about 10 minutes ago. Moviebob isn't lying, GO SEE IT. NOW. It's awesome, it'll make your head asplode with its pure badassery.

To paraphrase a genius and add a bit of flavor Don't get T-Bagged by Michael Bay this summer. See District-9 instead.

You won me over since the very start Mr. Movie Bob, when you went where no one had gone before giving Star Trek -notourparentsfilm- 6/10 when the rest gave it 17/10, and on occasion better marks.
I also think that Kong was quite good (despite some sequences that I cannot plausibly pretend to forgive).
So District 9 is as good as sold.

Here's all I'm saying, there are proper ways to film and portray modern combat zones, District 9 is not a strong example.

This is what I mean by proper a combat scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clo4vUPVtCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWGvY-8qLW0

If your not fallowing these examples in your films, your doing it wrong.

ill prob see it with a friend i was hoping it would be good. and to the comment above me. ...what? those scenes were so cheesy... i should hope noone uses them as an example.

Movie Bob proves that ranting can be positive :3
Also district 9? More like awsome 9!..... yeah sorry that was lame.

Chrissyluky:
those scenes were so cheesy... i should hope noone uses them as an example.

What's funny is that's Generation Kill, one of the most accurately depicted modern war films; especially considering three of the Recon Marines as well as the embedded reporter and writer of the book worked on the series on sight and getting appraised for accuracy by the members of 1st Reconnaissance Battalion Bravo Company 2nd Platoon USMC i.e the men being depicted.

freebiewitz:
Movie Bob proves that ranting can be positive :3
Also district 9? More like awsome 9!..... yeah sorry that was lame.

haha a bit lame i agree, but it gave me a laugh. Good movie, nothing mind blowing to me though I was impressed with a movie that had good visual fx with a great story line to back it up.

Fucking agreed. District 9 is by far THE best movie for this summer.

DreamingMerc:
Here's all I'm saying, there are proper ways to film and portray modern combat zones, District 9 is not a strong example.

Of course it isn't, it doesn't take place in a combat zone. Nothing like what was shown in those videos is relevant to District 9's setting, which is a corporate ghetto established in Johannesburg.

Bob, pillowy mounds of motherfucker kudos to you, saw this movie today based on your recommendation and by-fucking-god that's the most kick-ass* piece of cinema I could have ever hoped to sit down and watch. I also got to see it in a great theater - if anyone else here has a chance to watch in an Imax theater (even though it's not an Imax print) DO IT DO IT DO IT
Unless you have a 50 foot screen and a 7,500 watt 10.1 DTS surround sound system at home
DON'T YOU DARE WAIT FOR THIS ON DVD - YOU'LL COMPLETELY REGRET IT!!!!!

*by kick-ass I mean simultaneously action-packed and cerebrally stimulating. Also the alien weapons in this movie had me clapping cheering and high-fiving my friends almost constantly.

God damn what a great movie

Just got back from seeing this. I wish I had four hands, so I could give this movie four thumbs up.

Oh yeah, it also made me really wish that Blomkamp had made the Halo movie. After seeing this I'm sure he could have done it justice.

300lb. Samoan:

DreamingMerc:

Of course it isn't, it doesn't take place in a combat zone. Nothing like what was shown in those videos is relevant to District 9's setting, which is a corporate ghetto established in Johannesburg.

Forgive my grief on the subject, but for reasons I can not fully describe it bothers me when a film portrays a military element as uninspired cannon fodder for the protagonist to waste at their disposal. It just feels like cheapened story telling to have villainous drones flailing about getting schwacked. The argument of well these guys are just petty mercs is flat at best, look into the actual world of para-military contracting. Yes there are bad seeds but a majority of contractors are simple ex-military or ex-law enforcement with numerous years of active service under their belts. Given that the government pays them shit, most seek to make an actual living in the private sector with the skill trade they have. Being as such skills aren't particularly valued in the civilian world.

And as far as the videos are concerned, those are just how I feel any military engagement on film should be presented. No one's screaming about randomly, no one's just wasting rounds down range at full auto just spraying and praying into everything that moves. There are no stereotypical baddies killing at random and that one rounds start going down range, there are plans in action to get OUT of the kill zone until overwhelming force can be applied. Using proper tactic and efficiency of violence goes a long way when shown on film, none of which I saw in District 9.

And in the opinion of this commenter you fail as a film maker at these points and you have a fairly deep hole to dig yourself out of, of which District 9 does not really pull off given convenient storytelling, a lack of character depth and plot holes.

Mr. Doe:
I dont think so Moviebob I saw the movie at an advanced screening last night and I felt it was horrible. The main character was a huge Douchebag and completly unlikable and you CAN get away with that if hes well characterized and his motivations are understandable, BUT they didnt have any Characters besides Christopher, and the Villains were all stupidly evil for no apparent reason WHY did they set up a small slum for them in an african hellhole and not in some place reasonable I get that its social commentary but seriously an explenation for that is needed what we didnt have enough trucks to move them somwhere not in a state of dissaray? WHY were they all horribly rascist? WHY for the love of god did they not clear out the horrible gangs in the area? HOW did they set up district nine with all the horrible things going on there? WHY did the aliens have on again off again superstrength? and the final reason WHY THE FUCK ARE THE ALIENS EVEN HERE? that never got explained in the movie and also what the fuck kind of name is WIKAS?

If you are not South African, I suggest you take some time to look at our history because the movie is an allegory of Apartheid, and any other country where people have been legally oppressed on racial lines.

Racism has never needed a reason to be explained. Most of our country still lives in a "small slum" in a "african hellhole" which were set up by the government at the time for no good reason other than different races shouldn't mix.

The movie hasn't released here yet, but I'm definitely going to see it when it does

Saw this opening night. It was amazing. After all the let downs of recent films, it was good to finally see something that took my breath away.

sneakypenguin:
It was good but there was way to many WTF moments. Why do these aliens live in squalor when their weapons are so kick ass. Why after 20 years a better deal not been reached, why didn't they move the ship a lot sooner (obviously it's functional).
2 aliens take on a massive strike force and 2.5 million of them can't do shit? With all their firepower?!?!

IIRC, researchers say that the aliens are a worker class. Not very resistant or strong willed. And I think that the ship wasn't moving, because a part fell off. Which I believe was the ship they flew in the end.

Aw crud...

Still got to wait till september 30th for it to come out here.

Realy wanna see it.

Magus44:
Saw this opening night. It was amazing. After all the let downs of recent films, it was good to finally see something that took my breath away.

sneakypenguin:
It was good but there was way to many WTF moments. Why do these aliens live in squalor when their weapons are so kick ass. Why after 20 years a better deal not been reached, why didn't they move the ship a lot sooner (obviously it's functional).

IIRC, researchers say that the aliens are a worker class. Not very resistant or strong willed. And I think that the ship wasn't moving, because a part fell off. Which I believe was the ship they flew in the end.

Movie also implies that the leadership lives among them. Why is the ship broken when they get here but all it takes to get it flying again is a computer command?

DreamingMerc:

Chrissyluky:
those scenes were so cheesy... i should hope noone uses them as an example.

What's funny is that's Generation Kill, one of the most accurately depicted modern war films; especially considering three of the Recon Marines as well as the embedded reporter and writer of the book worked on the series on sight and getting appraised for accuracy by the members of 1st Reconnaissance Battalion Bravo Company 2nd Platoon USMC i.e the men being depicted.

Yeah, it all happened like that. What amazed me about Generation Kill (I haven't seen the series) is how they were able to get through all those ambushes and the whole way through Iraq without anyone being killed or seriously injured.

sneakypenguin:

Magus44:

sneakypenguin:

Movie also implies that the leadership lives among them. Why is the ship broken when they get here but all it takes to get it flying again is a computer command?

Well when they first come here the command ship (Thing in the beginning that fell) fell off making the Mother Ship unusable. Then without the ability to move they were stuck. The reason they left could be because 1. They were lost 2. Fled planet 3. Exploration gone wrong.

It was a very good movie, but not the best movie of the summer. I just point to the Hurt Locker because that was a great action movie and the kind of movie that moviebob would love.

Another excellent review and I can't wait for the next one... hopefully it's going to be about the Hurt Locker...

Neill Blomkamp. Born in South Africa, trained at the Vancouver Film School, LIVES in Vancouver, but will inevitably be called the greatest new director to come out of the United States.

Sounds good but what rating is this in the UK because I can't seem to find it anywhere

Ficord:
The hell Halo Is a great storyline

Dear Ficord

You are no longer allowed to have an opinion about: Movie/Videogame Plots

Expressing an opinion about the above subjects will result in immediate fine of up to $80

Yours Sincerely

The Department of Not Saying Stupid Things

Captain Pancake:
It was directed by the same guy who was going to make the halo movie before fox and universal had a hissyfit and shot it down...

Petter Jackson?

The Youth Counselor:

seryoga:
i hope its not a buzz kill like watchmen no offence to fans of watchmen i just didnt like the movie

None taken, it was a poor movie.

I enjoyed the film, but it is far from being as good as the original novels. (Also it is far from beating the dark knight)

NoMoreSanity:
That was better then I expected. I'll try and see it soon then.

It's not that good though.

The characters intentions are never that clear (in the middle of the drama of the protagonist, he suddenly decides that he has a change of heart in the middle of a gun battle - a change of heart that was unprovoked), there are so many plot flaws, I can't even begin to think where's a good place to start (maybe the stupid anti-air system is a good place? You'll see what I mean if you watch the movie), the emotion and impact of the initial movie (a documentary that makes you realize the struggle and inhumanity of District 9) is changed into a personal struggle of some douche bag bureaucrat who has no idea wtf he's doing. Etc., etc. The movie is very entertaining, and it is the best movie of the summer (though, that's not saying much - giving a movie that title this year is like saying your PB&J sandwich was the best sandwich you've had all day when the only other sandwiches you've had were tuna and pickles an your mom's tomatoe and mayo), but it really lacks a lot of coherency to deserve the praise it has received.

j0ckey:

Mr. Doe:
I dont think so Moviebob I saw the movie at an advanced screening last night and I felt it was horrible. The main character was a huge Douchebag and completly unlikable and you CAN get away with that if hes well characterized and his motivations are understandable, BUT they didnt have any Characters besides Christopher, and the Villains were all stupidly evil for no apparent reason WHY did they set up a small slum for them in an african hellhole and not in some place reasonable I get that its social commentary but seriously an explenation for that is needed what we didnt have enough trucks to move them somwhere not in a state of dissaray? WHY were they all horribly rascist? WHY for the love of god did they not clear out the horrible gangs in the area? HOW did they set up district nine with all the horrible things going on there? WHY did the aliens have on again off again superstrength? and the final reason WHY THE FUCK ARE THE ALIENS EVEN HERE? that never got explained in the movie and also what the fuck kind of name is WIKAS?

If you are not South African, I suggest you take some time to look at our history because the movie is an allegory of Apartheid, and any other country where people have been legally oppressed on racial lines.

Racism has never needed a reason to be explained. Most of our country still lives in a "small slum" in a "african hellhole" which were set up by the government at the time for no good reason other than different races shouldn't mix.

The movie hasn't released here yet, but I'm definitely going to see it when it does

Although I don't mean to take this guys thunder, I disagree with your statement COMPLETELY. For example, the aliens and humans have learned to understand eachother's language (how or why, I don't know), but the humans never sit down to ask the aliens anything. At first, you might think that the aliens are just too stupid to understand why their on earth in the first place and the reasoning that they're here was forgotten. But then you meet Christopher (who's name I didn't even catch until the end of the movie) and it's obvious that not only does he probably know why they're stuck on earth, but most of the aliens do to, and yet the question was never asked by the humans nor was it ever given in the movie. And the movie does a poor job attempting to side step it because it's explanation doesn't make sense.

for being a racial allegory, the movie offers an interesting tale, but there are so many plot flaws, it's almost unbearable to watch.

I'm gonna add one big question I had to this OP. Why the fuck can humans hit an aliens with a single shot rifle from a moving helicopter several hundred feet in the air while he's running and yet when he's standing in a room, not moving, right in front of them, can the MNU not hit a bloody thing?

Movie Bob you scared me for a minute, i thought you were gunna say something bad about it, but you are 100% correct sir! This is the best movie of the summer, i just hope inglorious bastards is half as good as this movie!

Patrick_and_the_ricks:

Captain Pancake:
It was directed by the same guy who was going to make the halo movie before fox and universal had a hissyfit and shot it down...

Petter Jackson?

No, Neill Blomkamp.

Replying to Mimsofthedawg:

1. Christopher might know why they're on earth, maybe not. It's entirely possible that he is smart enough to be able to work the technology, but not be privy to higher leader's plans.
I also don't see how that necessarily leads to any of the other aliens having knowledge of any plans.

2. As far as the helicopter goes, they had time to aim and weren't being fired upon. In the lab there was a guy with a gun that would make you explode if it just grazed you. I think that is at least somewhat of an explanation of why they were taking less time to aim carefully and more to hide and take cover.

I think this was an excellent movie and while there are certainly things that might be questionable, I didn't see anything that is unexplainable.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here