Escape to the Movies: District 9

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

j0ckey:

Mr. Doe:
my post

If you are not South African, I suggest you take some time to look at our history because the movie is an allegory of Apartheid, and any other country where people have been legally oppressed on racial lines.

Racism has never needed a reason to be explained. Most of our country still lives in a "small slum" in a "african hellhole" which were set up by the government at the time for no good reason other than different races shouldn't mix.

The movie hasn't released here yet, but I'm definitely going to see it when it does

I know that its just an analogy for the current state of Africa/Apartheid BUT the analogy just doesnt work for me maybe its because I think we'd be more diplomatic/human/not Snidley Whiplash to the first Sentient non-human creatures we meet. I also think I wouldve been more kind to the movie being social commentary if in the first ten minutes an alien didnt kick a guy in half for no particular reason. I think it was like the Planet of the Apes remake it tried to have its message and cool battles but that also fell flat on its face.

Mr.Doe[/quote]snip[/quote]

Why would we be more diplomatic? Humans do horrible things to each other based on racial and cultural divides. Aliens would be complete others and outsiders to any society and would very likely become feared and hated. When the movie was finished, I couldn't help but think that this is exactly or at least very close to how it would go down.

Also at first everyone was fairly diplomatic and they were trying to help the aliens, but the situation quickly deteriorated. Also with the alien kicking the guy, it probably felt threatened, afraid, and acted rashly. It was a little odd, but I wouldn't say it acted with no reason.

Peter Jackson's scary movies are always awesome!

Shit, I had literally just bought the tickets before I watched the review. I was afraid it would get a crappy rating. Jeez. Well, off to see it in an hour

Coldsnap:
Why would we be more diplomatic? Humans do horrible things to each other based on racial and cultural divides. Aliens would be complete others and outsiders to any society and would very likely become feared and hated. When the movie was finished, I couldn't help but think that this is exactly or at least very close to how it would go down.

Also at first everyone was fairly diplomatic and they were trying to help the aliens, but the situation quickly deteriorated. Also with the alien kicking the guy, it probably felt threatened, afraid, and acted rashly. It was a little odd, but I wouldn't say it acted with no reason.

Im pretty sure the whole "We are not alone in the universe" thing would make us act at least a little more diplomatic or at least alot less like batman villains and still Twentey fucking years is long enough that we would find a better solution than "shoot them if they do anything and let some random gang chill out in our highly gaurded facility"

Mr. Doe:
well I wanted to post something diametrically opposed to moviebob because Ive agreed with all his reveiws up until now but apparently he saw something in it that I didnt but hey maybe thats because I think about everything when it isnt advertised as a mind vacation presented to me by the man who brought the lord of the rings to life.

Edit and what makes it less of a post because I just made my profile I regular this site and just because I didnt have a profile Im not good enough to have an opinion?

Now, now. I never said that what you did was wrong. It wasn't flaming so it's not a problem. Nor do I disagree with what you said (or agree, I haven't seen it so I don't have an opinion on the matter). I was just commenting that many times when I see people make profiles to post in a specific topic that they always seem to have dissenting opinions. I was just using the most recently seen (yours) as an example.

I'm sorry, what?

.. Did he just say Bad Taste and Dead Alive were NOT bad movies?

Holy mother of god I lol'd.

I figured this would be a good one, alittle doubt,but I'm glad Bob thinks it's good, he usually knows best.

I really want to see this now!!!

There's NOTHING wrong about a halo movie. Halo has it's own complex and driven storyline that goes beyond the games. Clearly you haven't read any of the books (Although thats understandable with 'the cole protocol') and clearly youve never actually tried to get a good handle on the story beyond the screamingly obvious. Don't condemn something you havent bothered to understand because it doesnt interest you.
I'm sorry to sound like a 'fanboy' (A label used to dismiss genuine intelligence and a personal opinion as zealous mouth frothing) but you were sounding like a mindless Halo hater. (Of which there are a sad amount these days).

Want to see... a lot...

I just saw that movie, and i totally agree with bob on this one.

It had everything there, gore, good story, likable characters. Even the aliens were good characters. You could never tell what would happen next, but for some reason it wasn't great. It is better than any other movie this summer.

Edit: I do have to say though, after seeing this movie, if the director made the halo movie the way he made this one it would be very good. And thats saying something because I don't really like halo much.

This film was brilliant. Artistic viewers will lik it for the message of apartheid, and simpler viewers will like it for the action. Also, it may sound odd, but Christopher Johnson (great name for an alien, eh?)'s son may be the cutest alien ever.

DreamingMerc:
Here's all I'm saying, there are proper ways to film and portray modern combat zones, District 9 is not a strong example.

This is what I mean by proper a combat scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clo4vUPVtCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWGvY-8qLW0

If your not fallowing these examples in your films, your doing it wrong.

Those aren't examples of a combat zone per say. Its more akin to untrained desperate people trying to conduct am ambush that somehow (and miraculously so for the protagonists) contineously go wrong in every sense. (The only real casualty being a shot foot). Thats more like a freedom fighting group (assuming its in Iraq) trying to kill American Soldiers occupying their country. (It sould be noted that freedom fighters kill soldiers occupying thier country, terrorists attack civilians in another country or kidnap and kill civilians for the purposes of extorting cash and/or generating fear).

A real combat zone is when two armies are fighting each other. The opening scenes of saving private Ryan is a depiction of a combat zone. The depictions of combat in Tour of Duty are combat zones. What was depicted in those two scenes is refered to in military lingo as masacures.

And quite frankly scenes of Americans killing faceless and obvious examples of the "evil" Muslum world does not impress me in the slightest and nor does it interest me. Quite frankly a more acurate depiction of the soldiers in Iraq would be of them fighting and also dieing (after all there has been thousands of casualties after the end of "hostilities"). It would be similar to Tour of Duty, but in todays society a show like tour of duty would never make it onto the air (too many of the main characters dieing is bad for ratings... not to mention that anybody who wishes to portray the US military must do so in a positive light).

As for the movie... MovieBob actually has me teatering on the fence. I think I will see this movie. The "ever desirable" social comentary is one of the aspects that is keeping me on the edge. A social commentary tends to ruin movies. If you want to make a social statement about the state of the African Peoples... make one about the African peoples.

This was the first movie i have seen at midnite and it was freaking worth it. If this movie dosn't sell well (which it won't, the theater was packed at the midnight show) i will lose faith in humanity. Also, I heard this rumor that this movie will finace (forgive my spelling) the halo movie. can anyone comfirm or shoot this idea down?

Spider Expert:
I'm sorry, what?

I fucking loved Bad Taste!

But that's because I'm a New Zealander :)

-Joe

CrafterMan:

Spider Expert:
I'm sorry, what?

-Joe

I am too that doesn't change the fact that it was hilariously bad

joe_dracos:

DreamingMerc:
My post.

Your post.

If I may begin my good chum a spirited discussion, I'll give you an ambush is not technically a combat zone. An ambush also known as a Kill Zone or Kill Box, is the area where an enemy element hopes to direct, channel and trap you OR where you hope to do the same to him. As appose to a direct combat zone in which one element actively directs fire on an enemy element with hostile intent... so I guess I do have to give you that one.

Another thing is, the scenes are not to be directly translated over to District 9 or for any film directly for that matter. But merely the type of combat depicted is one of the truer depiction of modern military conflict. To speak specifically as a fire fight opens up and rounds start going down range a professional capable (i.e a private military contractor for example) knows to fall back to their operating procedures and not flip a bitch as such action can and will cause casualties to stack. No one is just spraying full auto into targets, instead they take time to punch two and three round taps (squeezing the trigger and fallowing through with your shot as to ensure accuracy of the round). Executing military tactic of falling back when confronted with a strong enemy and calling in addition support as to apply overwhelming force on the target with AIR or ASS(Armor). And when you ignore these things and depict a military element as such incompetent amateur fuckheads as District 9 did your digging a DEEP hole to climb out of as far as story telling is concerned.

The idea of separating combatants into the categories of terrorists, freedom fighter, standing army are in all intents of purpose both pointless and moronic. There are simple people, some you can trust to get your back (sometimes not all the time) and others you have to watch out for as you may in fact have to kill them.

Now here's a funny bit, I shall explain why these events depicted in the videos of my previous post were as such, they are the depiction of the actual events of 1st Reconnaissance Battalion, Bravo Company, 2nd platoon during the initial invasion of Mesopotamia. Meaning that the deaths stacked on the Iraqi side both para-military and civilian (which the series DOES portray in gruesome detail) and lack of casualties on the Marines side can't be changed or flipped being as when the film was made all members of 2nd platoon were alive and well, some in fact coming back from their second and third tours in Iraq.

Let us start out with the day time ambush, a city by the name of Al Gharraf in which Bath party loyalists succeeded in stopping a Marine Regimental Combat (RCT-1) team hours prior. The Battalion commander of 1st Recon felt so em emboldened as to push his men through the town were RCT-1 had been stopped. As 1st Recon pushed threw the town they caught the para-military forces off guard and got lucky by a Mk.19 gunner whom had managed to drop the roof on the building in which a majority of the fire was coming from and pushed the entire battalion through the town before linking up with a light armor division of LAV's.

The night ambush takes place in a little town by the name of Al Muwaffaqiyah in which 1st Recon was tasked with pushing through the town, with 2nd platoon Bravo on point, to engage para-military forces along the way to Al Kut (where two Iraqi mechanized divisions were stationed). And as you saw they got fucking lit up pretty good, now here's why they pulled that little luck of the draw off. First of Iraqi nights are dark and I mean really fucking dark, you can't see a damn thing without enhanced optics. And being the lack of thermals and NVG's on the opposing side the limits of Iraqi forces are pushed beyond during night operations. Secondly and this is the best part of this story, a solid majority of the para-military forces engaged were NOT actual military personnel in any sense of the words. They were actually college students from Syria, from what I've been told (meaning there is some reason to doubt this but not completely disregard this) Saddam had promised land and wealth to any whom would come to the aid of Iraq, which doesn't make them freedom fighters. When you think about it they were actually capitalists, pursuing financial gain through uncertain and risky endeavors. Most had come to Iraq I think just a few weeks before American forces hit Kuwait. One individual when he came through Iraqi customs wrote "gehad"(sp?) as their reason for entering Iraq with "Love" tattooed on his hand.

If you take the time to watch the series through, you will come to understand this DOES NOT glorify Marines in this hero cast and villainous the Muslim world. It merely does it's best to depict what happened for this ONE platoon in the invasion of Iraq. It doesn't waste it's time to establish such petty idealism as arguing for or against a "just war". Quite frankly there is no such thing, the idea of any war being possible virtues is simple for the simple minded and faint of heart.

Saw the movie, it was good. It left the kind of speechless that makes me wonder if it's "good good" or "awesome good".

Mr. Doe:

Coldsnap:

Im pretty sure the whole "We are not alone in the universe" thing would make us act at least a little more diplomatic or at least alot less like batman villains and still Twentey fucking years is long enough that we would find a better solution than "shoot them if they do anything and let some random gang chill out in our highly gaurded facility"

That's a very optimistic view of how this species would handle first contact with an alien one.

Also a bit na´ve, I'm afraid. I'm relatively sure that most people on this planet, when presented with an alien species, would be compelled to find out whether they taste good or not.

Just saw District 9 today. Fucking loved it.

Bob's right. Go see this movie. Right now.

Spider Expert:

CrafterMan:

Spider Expert:
I'm sorry, what?

-Joe

I am too that doesn't change the fact that it was hilariously bad

It was ment to be hilariously bad though, I mean come on, it was a shit production per se but the acting was hilarious, there is not a lot like it out there, Coromandel types in a nutshell though aye ;)

-Joe

Lightbunny:

Mr. Doe:

Coldsnap:

That's a very optimistic view of how this species would handle first contact with an alien one.

Also a bit na´ve, I'm afraid. I'm relatively sure that most people on this planet, when presented with an alien species, would be compelled to find out whether they taste good or not.

I don't know about that. The first reaction to an alien presence coming to earth would most likely be fear. I also want to add that I think that this movie is the most likely scenario given the conditions the aliens are in i.e. no apparent leadership and destitute state on both the ship and in District 9.

If the aliens had functioning leadership, a functioning area of their own, and were just on an equal footing instead of being kind of subservient to humans, then things would most likely be radically different.

@ movieBob--- I hope you were being sarcastic about Peter Jackson's track record...

I hate each and everyone of those movies(the ones I saw, LOTR/King Kong). Guy's almost as bad as Micheal Bay. Bay overdoes explosions, Jackson overdoes dramatic scenes and dialougue and walking...he is the Master of Bore.

@ people on page 1--- Also, Spielberg has been selling out since E.T. yeah, I rewatched it...it was AWFUL. Encounters of the Third Kind still epic...half his movies are shit, the other half timeless...weird.

Munich and War of the Worlds, hardcore and brilliant. Indiana Jones ToCS...wow...and don't get me started on how crap "Transformers" HAS ALWAYS BEEN(1980 -> now).

*"Children of Men", is superb but it got the same rough editing as Munich. WotW could have done without the son surviving bs*

"Wrath of Kahn" >>> new "Star Trek" movie. NEVER liked "Star Trek"(alien chicks don't have Human vaginas and they are as racist, just like us). Babylon 5 ftw.

And yes I will go see "District 9", even though the Halo movie would make "G.I. Joe" look as comical as it is.

See some debate about how we would treat alien life. HAHAHAHAHA

If they are powerful, see example 'X-Files'.
If they are weak see example 'Continent of friggin' Africa or ghettos-Bronx'
If we gain more from them revealing themselves, see example 'Return of Jesus'
Enjoy your day.

Lusulpher:
A post that hated almost everything that I have ever nerdy thing Ive loved except Conan and Highlander (and talked about E.T., War of the worlds and a couple of other things Id rather forget/didnt bother seeing)

Ive just lost some faith in mankind.

P.S.your freinds with the Enter key arent you.

Coldsnap:

Lightbunny:

Mr. Doe:

Coldsnap:

I don't know about that. The first reaction to an alien presence coming to earth would most likely be fear. I also want to add that I think that this movie is the most likely scenario given the conditions the aliens are in i.e. no apparent leadership and destitute state on both the ship and in District 9.

If the aliens had functioning leadership, a functioning area of their own, and were just on an equal footing instead of being kind of subservient to humans, then things would most likely be radically different.

Well I have/had faith in Humanity (or at least Nerd scientists) that the first thing we would NOT do if the Alien laser gun didnt fire is say "Fuck you aliens, go live in a refugee camp!" or start slicing them up like Dr.Moreau on a bender (And in response to lightbunny's post OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMN)

DreamingMerc:
If I may begin my good chum a spirited discussion, I'll give you an ambush is not technically a combat zone. An ambush also known as a Kill Zone or Kill Box, is the area where an enemy element hopes to direct, channel and trap you OR where you hope to do the same to him.

I am aware of common military lingo. Use it as needed.:)

DreamingMerc:
But merely the type of combat depicted is one of the truer depiction of modern military conflict.

Thats not military conflict. All I saw was a military unit fighting poorly armed civilians (paramilitary or not).

DreamingMerc:
Executing military tactic of falling back when confronted with a strong enemy and calling in addition support as to apply overwhelming force on the target with AIR or ASS(Armor). And when you ignore these things and depict a military element as such incompetent amateur fuckheads as District 9 did your digging a DEEP hole to climb out of as far as story telling is concerned.

You are refering to combined arms warfare and manouver warfare. I am not really comparing it to anything except to the fact its not warfare. Its the suppression of civilians through military force (reguardless of who fires first). Not to mention that the invasion of Iraq is morally dubious at best (you can't claim your looking for WMD's and then when you don't find any say your deposing a dictator. If the US is concearned with the oppression of civilians it should look at its own policies first:The Patriot Act, Guantanamo bay Concentration camp. Colour these two things anyway you like, once a people allow their rights to be taken away in any situation, such as the right to Habeous Corpus in concearn to suspected terrorists, then they are no longer a free society) but I digress.

DreamingMerc:
The idea of separating combatants into the categories of terrorists, freedom fighter, standing army are in all intents of purpose both pointless and moronic. There are simple people, some you can trust to get your back (sometimes not all the time) and others you have to watch out for as you may in fact have to kill them.

Unfortunately I think you missed the point of my comparrison. The comparison was not that of who you can trust but of the catigory of which each side fits. It is important to understand why an enemy will fight you and bracketing all those people who got killed in those scenes as terrorists is not only inaccurate, but wrong. The people who flew the jet liners into the world trade center are without a doubt terrorists. Those people in the scenes were freedom fighters (civilian combatants). If you understand their side, military force can become unneccessary (as long as both sides are willing to attempt a bypass).

DreamingMerc:
If you take the time to watch the series through, you will come to understand this DOES NOT glorify Marines in this hero cast and villainous the Muslim world. It merely does it's best to depict what happened for this ONE platoon in the invasion of Iraq.

Unfortunately I can not agree with you. Especially since any media wishing to use the US military (historically or otherwise) may not portray them in a negative light. Unless it portrays the retaliation that the marines took upon the rest of the civilian populace in Iraq I don't think both sides are portrayed accurately.

Damn good movie, saw it today.

I wish it was longer though...they could've easily thrown in another hour.

Saw District 9 today. Brilliant movie. The time just flew by as I watched it, and I felt sad when it ended as I wanted to view more of it. Unfortunately the end seems to be a bit loose ended and anti-climatic and there's the odd logic errors in it but apart from that, it's brilliant.

In regards to what was said about Spielberg, Lost World wasn't bad; just not as good as Jurassic Park; War of the Worlds was a good movie (screw anyone who says otherwise); He PRODUCED the first Transformers, if memory serves -which was not a bad movie, just hollow, and though I've never seen the most recent Indiana Jones, I did see the Temple of Doom, and I love it to this day. Spielberg has made some mediocre movies, but no really bad ones to my knowledge. In addition, Halo, for its simplicity as an FPS had a very interesting and multi-layered storyline, which also, in the hands of a good director and writer, could translate well into a movie. Spielberg, if he gets a whack at it, is the perfect director for it, because of his way with evoking a sense of wonder, and making very believable stories.

But I digress.

I saw District 9 the other day, and I have to agree with the reviewer. It is, by far, the best sci-fi summer blockbuster to date, even after having seen Star Trek. The only thing that kept me from singing its praises right and left was its heavy-handedness in the realm of race relations. It's understandable, because it was part of the plot, but sometimes the movie really did feel like it was beating you over the head with it. Still, it did not subtract from the experience, or keep me from thoroughly enjoying this deep, often disturbing, but highly intelligent and massively refreshing film. It was a wonderful break from all the thinly plotted brain candy this summer, and has done a great job of completing my summer movie experience this year.

Good review, but I have to disagree about what you said about the halo movie. I don't regard myself as a huge halo fan but if Peter Jackson thought a good halo movie was possible, who is to argue? You yourself said he's never made a bad movie. None the less, a good review.

Bob gave a solid reveiw.

I saw this movie the day it came out, and now, its my favorite movie of all time.

SO SEEE IT!!!!!!
MAKE HIM ENOUGH MONEY TO DO A SEQUIL!!!!!!!

At first, I thought MovieBob was over-exaggerating a bit. I saw the movie, and he really isn't exaggerating, it really is that good. Everything about it is well thought-out and brilliantly done.

The movie was amazing and I'll probably get the DVD when it comes out. but my one gripe was the alien human hybrid aspect, it was well thought out but fuel shouldn't do that and he should have changed into a human/alien not a %100 alien. most likely there will be a district 10.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here