Escape to the Movies: District 9

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

This movie sucked. It tried to be intelligent the first twenty minutes with the documentary stuff, got bored, and then jumped into pointless sci-fi bullshit with people's heads exploding. I was not impressed.

Yet again, with all the incredibly awesome, intelligent, interesting movies - this has not been advertised in the UK at ALL, and is not being shown in my local cinema.
Only heard about this THIS WEEK.

I want to see it, and can't. *sigh*

I saw this movie last night. No lie, it was a good movie, but I'm gonna shoot for a 8/10 rating on this one...Since to be perfectly honest, his "action-packed" statement, was a bit overzealous. The last 1/3 of the movie is action packed..the rest is mostly a few beating scenes and the occasional gunshot or 2. Story was great, action was great, the half-life reference was great(if your a half-life fan you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it). It was even comedic in the beginning. All in all, good movie. Recommended

*begins chanting "District 10, District 10, District 10..." *

MovieBob:
District 9

This week MovieBob takes a look at the much anticipated District 9.

Watch Video

Your movie review are incredibly patronising. You are a movie reviewer, not a world class critic, you are not the only person who understands and enjoys films! Stop ranting about movie-goers like they are some kind of second class people who can't grasp the amazing world of cinema. It is literature that contains the great stories and so many of them.

I've got a question, you claim this movie is 'intelligent'. I haven't seen it and don't know much about it other than what I have seen in the trailer. From what I can see it lacks any subtlety and has no logical basis.

These are aliens who have built City sized ships capable of interstellar travel which must have come many light-years and we somehow manage to keep them oppressed with concrete blocks, barbed wire and some crappy little Mechs. Tell me how is that in any way consistent let alone, intelligent?

Well, I didn't finish watching this video 'review' and I won't watch any more of them.

I just saw this movie. and let me tell you.

It was fucking AMAZING.

I won't see it again because I dislike alot of gore, but fuck it was a good movie

Edit: To guy above me.

See the movie. Prick.

Regarding Budgets

$200mil Transformer 2
$170 million GI Joe
$200 million Terminator Salvation
$150 million Star Trek

$30 Million District 9

Seriously a $30 million budget can do that, and you needed $150-$200mil for the other summer movies wtf is this shit?

It has some of the best special effects & acting ive seen this year for 1/5th the cost

I saw the movie it was awesome, also at the end Peter Jackson does a cameo as an MNU PMC and gets zaped by the supergun.

Mrsnugglesworth:
I just saw this movie. and let me tell you.

It was fucking AMAZING.

I won't see it again because I dislike alot of gore, but fuck it was a good movie

Edit: To guy above me.

See the movie. Prick.

It's douchebag you misogynist. Why don't you head back over to Xbox Live for even more people to ignore your pathetic insults.

I have a question, would you like this movie if it wasn't somewhat 'independent'? Also, I get the real life scenario the film is referencing, it's hardly subtle. The fact is that its grasp of sci-fi seems quite weak.

beddo:
These are aliens who have built City sized ships capable of interstellar travel which must have come many light-years and we somehow manage to keep them oppressed with concrete blocks, barbed wire and some crappy little Mechs. Tell me how is that in any way consistent let alone, intelligent?

Well, in the context of the film-proper...

Saw it opening night at the request of a friend (I wanted to see it, but I'm against $11 movie prices.), and it was awesome. Definitely the best movie this year. (Waiting to see if Quentin can top it next week with Inglorious Bastards.) Everyone should see this movie.

But...

Why do people hate Halo so much? I'm not too keen on the idea of a movie because of the track record of game based movies, but if made properly (which is exactly what would have happened if those two guys had done it), it would have been awesome. I'll bet none of the people who say Halo is bland and unoriginal have ever (yes, I'm going to say it) READ THE BOOKS. I thought Halo's story sucked too until I read Eric Nylund's novels. They make you honestly care about John (the Master Chief) and Cortana. They also put the aliens' motivations in perspective.

But, then again, no one cares what I have to say. The same people are going to keep their heads firmly planted up their asses and continue to criticize Halo not based on merits, but based on an unreasonable dislike for its unparalleled success. (Just because bros and obnoxious children like it too, doesn't make it suck.)

I was sad when the Halo movie was cancelled.

Though now I'm happy.

I saw the movie already, and I swear, it was the best thing I've seen in a long time.

beddo:

Your movie review are incredibly patronising. You are a movie reviewer, not a world class critic, you are not the only person who understands and enjoys films! Stop ranting about movie-goers like they are some kind of second class people who can't grasp the amazing world of cinema. It is literature that contains the great stories and so many of them.

I've got a question, you claim this movie is 'intelligent'. I haven't seen it and don't know much about it other than what I have seen in the trailer. From what I can see it lacks any subtlety and has no logical basis.

Well, I didn't finish watching this video 'review' and I won't watch any more of them.

Trust me he gets wrost with gamers, like the fact wend Bob bitches about "Hardcore gamers" he ACTS WROST then most people on 4chan's /v/ do.

Or the fact he bitchs about Star Terk wend he cleary never seen a single Terk show or movie in his live (here's a review of the frist movie by sfdebris http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnQbb9uEG8E&feature=channel_page)

Oh well to answer you question the aliens are refugees not solders, it's made clear MNU don't really give a danm about the aliens or where they come form so they just made up shit, like they're a hive mind whose Queen was killed (which isn't true at all, the Aliens simply act the way they do because of years of abuse and living in a hellhole) which isn't too far off form how real refugee's act like.

It was excellent, but I still liked Up more. Yeah I'm alone in that.

Saw District 9 on Saturday.

It was okay. I would have liked it better without the whole transformation plot, which I felt pulled me away from the reality of it. I'm sure they could have figured out a decent enemy mine scenario without the need for such stuff.

I don't know why, but I just wasn't enthused by it. It wasn't particulary intelligent, nor did it have well developed characters(both of which the reviews had primed me to expect). I know most of the movies this summer have been pretty retarded, so I guess it's intelligent by comparison(but with the bar set that low, that's not hard).

I don't give a shit about a possible Halo movie because I'm not going to see it anyway(I didn't bother with the games in the series after the first because I didn't find the first to be that good, and I have no faith in a movie being better).

The Bandit:
This movie sucked. It tried to be intelligent the first twenty minutes with the documentary stuff, got bored, and then jumped into pointless sci-fi bullshit with people's heads exploding. I was not impressed.

problem is you provided no actaul point as to why it supposebly sucks. it was a great movie and the fact that you hated it makes me think you went there just to hate it.

Dalisclock:
Saw District 9 on Saturday.

It was okay. I would have liked it better without the whole transformation plot, which I felt pulled me away from the reality of it. I'm sure they could have figured out a decent enemy mine scenario without the need for such stuff.

I don't know why, but I just wasn't enthused by it. It wasn't particulary intelligent, nor did it have well developed characters(both of which the reviews had primed me to expect). I know most of the movies this summer have been pretty retarded, so I guess it's intelligent by comparison(but with the bar set that low, that's not hard).

I don't give a shit about a possible Halo movie because I'm not going to see it anyway(I didn't bother with the games in the series after the first because I didn't find the first to be that good, and I have no faith in a movie being better).

how were the characters undeveloped? there was an incredible ammount of backstory behind the main character and i personally think the only way it could have gone is him transforming. the constant panic and fear he had of transforming made it so much better for me and i loved the alien weaponry so much. and if you want extremely detailed characters you read a book.

I generally agree with Bob on this on with some minor and personally contridiction. One, I give the best sci-fi movie of the year to the director's cut of Watchmen. I will grant District 9 is presented very plausible. It is after all shot in a mockumentary style. This lends to a sense of realism. Watchmen though is an anti-hero superhero movie. I know if I met Dr. M I would be shitting myself over the thought I would not want to say something to piss him off. That's just me though.

Two, while D9 is a marvel; it does have some contridictions in it. The main point is their ship ran out of the fuel needed to leave Earth, still has the power to levitate in Earth's gravity well (and atmosphere) while not falling in orbit from space (the only place an object its size could survive if it actually ran out of fuel. Gravitational pull is an accelerated force and if it could hover, it could escape), and the alien's only find enough fuel to jumpstart the ship after digging in their own Earth bound refuse searching for their own tech to extract fuel 20 years after they through it in the garbage...on Earth. Perhaps nitpicky, sure I concede that.

Sure I will absolutley agree or state that the special effects (CGI) were blended perfectly in District 9, more so than Watchmen. The story parallel about how we treat each other is smart. But so was Watchmen's. Bob mentions the violence; watch the Director's cut when Rochaque takes out that kiddie molester. That...was violent and hard to watch. It went on for a minute. Not the three seconds in the theater.

It is not lost on me overall that Bob never used Watchmen as one of the comparison movies in D9 review. Then again Watchmen was a "hero" movie and D9 is more classically sci-fi.

P.S. I watched GIJoe inpart from your review, Star Trek was better IMO, not that mine means much.

That looks Amazing!
Hurry up and come out in the UK!

YAR! I'm a douchebag pirate and i gotta tell ya. He is damn right. Go see it , a tiny part of your booty is not so much to ask for this marvel. I already got my tickets booked for the premier here.

Hell yes! sci-fi 4 teh win!1!

SHIT it's not out where I am yet! but at least I have an idea of how good it will be now. =) Also, the halo movie would have sucked. and I kinda like halo. Nicely done video i'm gunna start watching this series now.

I just saw it yesterday, and I think it's an awesome movie. I think it's one of those movies that gets better with the after-effect of it and when you start thinking about it. I'm reluctant to call it the best movie I've ever seen since I can't tell a good movie from a bad very well, but this was an awesome movie that everyone should see regardless if they dislike the genre or not.

Oh, and THANK GOD the movie isn't set in America and that the main character isn't a bloody American, I'm so sick of that!

I'm kinda dissapointed, first Mr. Pitts says that HP6 was: "if you like Harry Potter movies, you're going to like this one,..." I like HP movies, and I think this was the worst movie I've seen in two years. Now I watched District 9, and the action I was hoping for only came when the movie was at its 2/3rd. I liked D9 more than HP6, but I still think Mr. Pitts was wrong. (in my opinion)

Chrissyluky:

The Bandit:

problem is you provided no actaul point as to why it supposebly sucks. it was a great movie and the fact that you hated it makes me think you went there just to hate it.

I expected someone to point that out. I also expected it to be a several paragraph long post telling me why the movie was good. So, while I may not have given much reason for my disapproval, you gave NONE for your approval. This makes you a hypocrite.

I DID explain my disapproval. I just didn't see the need to use several paragraphs, when two sentences is sufficient. So, let me pointlessly and repetitively explain what my original post should have implied (assuming you bothered to read anymore than the first sentence, which I'm beginning to doubt you did). It wasn't what it was hyped up to be. I assumed it WOULD be an intelligent movie with actual commentary on social issues. All evidence to this was dropped at a very specific scene in the film: where the actual sci-fi plot got involved (the scene that first shows the aliens looking for the fluid). This implies that I disagree with Moviebob's belief that you can have an intelligent sci-fi movie.

Do I need more? I can go on repeating myself, but it's getting dull. Should I talk about the childish head explosions again?

Bawwww, I liked Star Trek. Whatever.

I do agree with you about District 9 though. It was mindboggling badass and interesting. However, my dad and sister actually fell asleep for most of the movie. They just don't have any taste.

beddo:

Why are you automatically making the assumption that even if an alien race is capable of interstellar travel that everyone of them would fully understand it? For example, I'm sure we both know what a nuclear submarine is and possibly have a vague understanding of how it works, but could you build or fix one? I sure couldn't.

this was the best movie i have seen this summer, possible all year. go see this movie...NOW!!!

Slycne:

beddo:

Why are you automatically making the assumption that even if an alien race is capable of interstellar travel that everyone of them would fully understand it? For example, I'm sure we both know what a nuclear submarine is and possibly have a vague understanding of how it works, but could you build or fix one? I sure couldn't.

Trust me beddo, they explain everything that happens

I have a bit of theory/understanding whatever as to why the aliens were stranded. Imagine they are refugees from a destroyed colony or something .Unfortunately in the hurry to escape whatever climax forced them out they were unable to load enough supplies in the ship for the way home. Earth happened to be on their course so they decided to stop there and regroup. Seeing as it took 20 years to create the new fuel sell even if they had the materials to do so on board they didn't have the time for it as the gerenral population was starving. So there goes the movie.

It was a good video, but wasn't it a bit hypocritical that in your Transformers 2 review, you ranted about how you can make movies about anything, but now you have an entire rant in the District 9 review devoted to how a Halo Movie would be terrible.

Saw it last night. 100% agree with the video.

Sometimes when critical reviews play up a movie I go in with high expectations which spoils the experience. Not this time.

I was sitting there as the credits roles wishing I could watch the sequel (District 92? District 10?) right there, right then--I was game for another 3 hours of movie.

Jack Da Ripper:
Regarding Budgets

$200mil Transformer 2
$170 million GI Joe
$200 million Terminator Salvation
$150 million Star Trek

$30 Million District 9

Seriously a $30 million budget can do that, and you needed $150-$200mil for the other summer movies wtf is this shit?

It has some of the best special effects & acting ive seen this year for 1/5th the cost

I saw the movie it was awesome, also at the end Peter Jackson does a cameo as an MNU PMC and gets zaped by the supergun.

It's nearly impossible to find hard details on where all the money goes in a movie budget, but what little I could gather put Shia LaBeouf's salary at approximately $5 million for Transformers 2. Actor salaries alone don't account for the difference, but it leads me to believe there's a 'scaling' issue at work, where all those involved, from the director to the effects companies, demand higher pay for being 'established' or otherwise well-known.

Again, I haven't been able to find anything remotely like a credible source of information on budget specifics, so it's all speculation.

I have seen it twice since it came out and completely agree with the video. Probably the best movie I've seen all year, although I was unable to see UP... I'm so glad that the Science fiction genre isn't getting butf*cked like it was in Star Trek and Terminator Salvation.

To a degree you have to say Weta studios who did all the lord of the rings Spec effs, who have close ties with Peter Jackson may well be just that good. Thats pure speculation, but I have to say I was far more immeresed with District 9 than the Terminator movie. They looked like the dirty prawns they were, and I forgot that they arent even real the whole time I watched the movie. By real I mean is in either some guy in a bad comtume that old school movies did, or as in computer generated characters aka golem.

Oh and one thing that I haven't seen commented on, is the amazing yet sublte humour that features in it. Damned funny if your smart enough to pick out the jokes. Like it's damn clever if you see the ovbious metaphore in whats going on in the world both currently and for centeries.

Lets just say it's gonna be bad south africain accents all over the place for the next few months. And bad as in all us fans copying them.. badly ;)

Don't yew wave yaw tenticales at me you far-ken prawn!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here