The Pocket Gamer Report: How Sony Stole Christmas 2010

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Pocket Gamer Report: How Sony Stole Christmas 2010

Will the PSPgo lay the seeds for Sony's handheld triumph?

Read Full Article

I don't want to day it, but I can't help myself, so here it comes.

Oh lol.

This future would be an awesome one if it played out, but I can't honestly see Sony learning from it's mistakes, especially as it so aggressively perpetuates the ones it's already made.

fix-the-spade:
I don't want to day it, but I can't help myself, so here it comes.

Oh lol.

This future would be an awesome one if it played out, but I can't honestly see Sony learning from it's mistakes, especially as it so aggressively perpetuates the ones it's already made.

One could be surprised...

Megacherv:

Now there's a terrifying thought, do any of the console makers ever have pleasant surprises for us?

fix-the-spade:

Megacherv:

Now there's a terrifying thought, do any of the console makers ever have pleasant surprises for us?

80% price cut for the development kit. Patenting PS2 backwards compatibility using the Cell. For Nintendo, the Metroid Prime Trilogy set. For Microsoft...erm...don't pay attention, but I'm sure they've had some in the past.

fix-the-spade:

Megacherv:

Surprises don't sell they scare people of. That's why 80% of all games look alike.

What utter fantasy. By Christmas 2010 it will be all over and while Sony is desperately playing catchup, Apple and Nintendo will already have leapfrogged ahead.

This is all I hear about Sony, trying and failing to lead then following a long way behind.

You see Sony is trying to get into the game that DS and iphone/ipod-touch not only dominate but they actually CREATED!

I actually got a PSP and what destroyed it for me was not the clunky UMD disks or the overall size but the TERRIBLE controls that were more at home on a SNES. Why has Sony not learned from THEIR OWN MISTAKES!!?! PSP just can't deliver on hardcore 3D games as the controls constantly hold it back and the idea of it tapping into the casual market this late in the game with virtually no innovation is laughable.

I mean anybody who is interested in PSP has already bought a PSP-1000/2000/3000, and trying to convince then to upgrade to PSP-go rather than the extremely budget DS, the much more feature filled DSi, or the exponentially popular and dominating iphone or ipod-touch with all the extra features and compatibility they offer... this article by Pocket Gamer is utter fantasy.

Megacherv:
80% price cut for the development kit. Patenting PS2 backwards compatibility using the Cell. For Nintendo, the Metroid Prime Trilogy set. For Microsoft...erm...don't pay attention, but I'm sure they've had some in the past.

To counter...

We are no longer supporting PS2 compatability.
You don't get rumble this time.
We're putting rumble back, but charging you extra for it.
I'm afraid I can't let you play me Dave...
Our consoles are over 95% reliable.
Fife Hundred and Ninety Nine dorrers!

fix-the-spade:

Megacherv:

To counter...

We are no longer supporting PS2 compatability.
You don't get rumble this time.
We're putting rumble back, but charging you extra for it.
I'm afraid I can't let you play me Dave...
Our consoles are over 95% reliable.
Fife Hundred and Ninety Nine dorrers!

You asked me if they'd had any PLEASANT surprises. They could've still had pleasant surprises. If you don't like the developers, should you be gaming?

That would be awesome if it really happened.
But why do I, for some reason, doubt it.
Also, I bet in that fantasy world Ep3 comes out in xmas 2010, and Valve fully supports the PS3.
A nice fantasy, but sadly not true.

WOOOW.

I can't believe it. I've heard some Sony hate before, but you all took the cake.

I mean damn. Can you people shut up for one second without spewing some fanboyistic garbage out of your mouths?

Mods, it may look like I'm flaming, but come on. This is ridiculous.

Sony is taking quite a leap of faith with the intention of going all digital. Apple managed to do it easily but they don't exclusively offer games on their Appstore. I think that they are going to fail epically, but i could be wrong. Sony should just release a PSP 2 and go from there, not follow Nintendo and make 3 different versions of the same system (although they already have....).

Why did no one tell me about this PSP2?! I had to go on a google frenzy. Everyone just needs to calm down and stop coming out with so much stuff in the next 8 months. There is only so much time in the day, you know.

As dumb as they've been acting in the press for the past year or so, I still have faith in sony. They've gotta have something planned. I mean, no one gets as big as they are without out SOME sort of intelligence....

Know what would be sweet? Playing Armed & Dangerous on a handheld. Just sayin'.....

All I have to say is good luck to Sony. I hope the best for everybody in the industry, including all the console designers and game developers. There's no reason to hate anybody in the industry (except Bobby Kotick)...they're all trying to make games that we love.

Just chill out on the hate.

Pendragon9:
WOOOW.

I can't believe it. I've heard some Sony hate before, but you all took the cake.

I mean damn. Can you people shut up for one second without spewing some fanboyistic garbage out of your mouths?

This

Pendragon9:
WOOOW.

I don't think it's Sony hate. I for one would love for the PSP to shine over the competition. I don't have many gripes with the PSP's controls anyway, there's potential for many great none-casual games, and the idea of downloading games off of the internet (this is what I've heard it does) sounds awesome!

But the truth of the matter is what those guys said above you is true! PSPgo/ PSP2 is too expensive and the market is already saturated by the DS. Why spend all that time and money making games like Silent Hill Origins when you could make more money programming My Personal Pony Trainer 5 or Cook Book Interactive?

April Fool's day was 4 months ago, you guys.

Yeah, no, I kinda doubt that scenario ever happening. The DS already has a nice hold in Japan, doesn't like one out of five of them already own one? I remember reading that, a couple of months ago.

You can't fight the DS, not even this scenario would be able to defeat it, though it's a really interesting one. I suggest you run over to Sony and apply for a job immediately, you could get rich with all of this, lmao.

Sony's complacency and refusal to adjust (insisting that "the hardcore will pay for a premium") will ultimately be a downfall. It's like accidentally shooting yourself in the foot, then staring down the barrel of the gun just to check if it's still loaded.

I remember the marketing during the launch of the PS3. They said consumers aren't buying a PS3, they're buying a console with the a Cell processor. It's like even they are not sure at what the PS3 really is. Sure, the Cell is great, cutting edge technology, but will the average consumer care?

Megacherv:
For Nintendo, the Metroid Prime Trilogy set. For Microsoft...erm...don't pay attention, but I'm sure they've had some in the past.

Ever heard of Xbox Originals on XBLA? Everything from Halo 1 to Black to Psychonauts to Fable 1 and most of XBox top titles as well as a load of classic PC games from Secret of Monkey Island to Doom and Duke Nukem 3D.

PSN offers in Europe... Syphon Filter 3... and a couple other titles I didn't care about even when they came out on PS1, no sign of the classic PS1 games like MGS1, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Soul Reaver, etc. I don't think any region of PSN offers a single PS2 game to download.

I hear that Duke Nukem Forever is a PSP2 exclusive.

Krakyn:
All I have to say is good luck to Sony. I hope the best for everybody in the industry, including all the console designers and game developers. There's no reason to hate anybody in the industry (except Bobby Kotick)...they're all trying to make games that we love.

Just chill out on the hate.

true dat

Pendragon9:
WOOOW.

it's not "fanboyistic", it's how people really feel about it, that makes them a fanboy? Did you hear "lolz MS pwns teh Sonys"? No, I mean all the power to Sony but they should think about the things that could go wrong instead of living in a fantasy land.

Rigs83:

It's being released with some PSP exclusive DLC, but it might take a while.

Pocket Gamer:

rawr

I only just realised that was there.

Rawr to you too, sir.

Treblaine:

Megacherv:
For Nintendo, the Metroid Prime Trilogy set. For Microsoft...erm...don't pay attention, but I'm sure they've had some in the past.

Ever heard of Xbox Originals on XBLA? Everything from Halo 1 to Black to Psychonauts to Fable 1 and most of XBox top titles as well as a load of classic PC games from Secret of Monkey Island to Doom and Duke Nukem 3D.

PSN offers in Europe... Syphon Filter 3... and a couple other titles I didn't care about even when they came out on PS1, no sign of the classic PS1 games like MGS1, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Soul Reaver, etc. I don't think any region of PSN offers a single PS2 game to download.

Wait, so the PSN doesn't have any titles because you don't like any of them?

I don't follow. I could just as easily say the XBOX doesn't have any original titles because I don't like any of them or I could easily get them on the Ps2.

Goldbling:

Pendragon9:
WOOOW.

it's not "fanboyistic", it's how people really feel about it, that makes them a fanboy? Did you hear "lolz MS pwns teh Sonys"? No, I mean all the power to Sony but they should think about the things that could go wrong instead of living in a fantasy land.

Well, it would be a bit more believable if I didn't hear this crap on EVERY. SINGLE. FCKING. SONY THREAD.

Treblaine:

Megacherv:

Yeah...that's because at the moment, most PS3s don't support PS2 games...that would be stupid...think about what you're saying before going on fanboy-ish rants. And furthermore, that wasn't against Microsoft, I just couldn't think of anything since I don't own a 360, thus don't pay much attention to the news about it.

This is not reporting. Don't do this. Please.

If anyone thinks that price cuts will "save" Sony they're delusional. The PS3 isn't tanking because of price.

People buy hardware to get to the software. This has always been true, and lowering the price of the PS3/PSP won't magically make more (good) exclusive titles appear.

This is another example of the hardcore Zeitgeist, the pervasive need of "elitist" gamers to show that one day in 2035 or whatever Sony will "win" and crush the stupid Wii and all the retarded casual gamers and thus save gaming forever.

Pendragon9:

Treblaine:

Megacherv:

Wait, so the PSN doesn't have any titles because you don't like any of them?

I don't follow. I could just as easily say the XBOX doesn't have any original titles because I don't like any of them or I could easily get them on the Ps2.

I thought I made it clear in my previous post but I think anyone would agree that some of the best PS1 games are which are NOT available on PSN while most of the top rated Xbox games are available on XBLA.

What I was trying to get at what how PSN was only able to get the B-List titles from PS1 while the real classic games (like MGS1, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Soul Reaver, etc) have yet to come to my region if they are even available in any PSN region at all.

Here is a shortlist of the "most desired" PSOne classics that SCEE has blessed me with:
-Future Cop LAPD (meh, no one can go crazy about this)
-G-Police (has not aged well)
-Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, (that's the first game, the one that was rubbish compared to the refined sequels)
-Syphon filter 1 & 3 (poor man's MGS)
-Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Wipeout (each Sony licences invented as poor competition to Nintendo's well established and refined franchises that were the real classics)
-Medievil (I remember the Official Playstation Magazine going crazy about this game while independent critics didn't give a fig about it. I suppose it was just a coincidence it was produced by Sony as a 1st party game and the same magazines they owned showered it with awards...)
-Final Fantasy VII (actually quite good but I have unfortunately played this through already and the thought of grinding through it again is more than I can stand)

I'd like to have included Command & Conquer + Red Alert only it was really cheeky of Sony as they announce it for SALE via PSN on the same day that EA very generously made the same game freeware on PC. Considering it runs fine on even the crappiest PC and plays a million times better with a mouse (mouse peripherals wont work with PS3 on PSN games) this would have to be the dumbest good game to BUY on PSN.

I am not making arbitrary distinctions on personal taste, no one can deny that MGS1, Silent Hill and all those other games that defined the PS1 and are considered all time classics are conspicuously absent. While Sony is only able to take the time to fill the ranks with virtual abandon-ware and their old licences they don't know what to do with.

Now that is what you call fiction.

Dioxide20:
Sony is taking quite a leap of faith with the intention of going all digital. Apple managed to do it easily but they don't exclusively offer games on their Appstore. I think that they are going to fail epically, but i could be wrong. Sony should just release a PSP 2 and go from there, not follow Nintendo and make 3 different versions of the same system (although they already have....).

They arn't going ALL digital. They will still be releasing new games on UMD's.

ActionDan:

Dioxide20:

They arn't going ALL digital. They will still be releasing new games on UMD's.

Well how can you make a brand new distribution method and still keep the old one. If you're trying to promote something new, you aren't going to undercut yourself by still doing the old thing. Sure they say they will keep making umds, but they want that 250$ so it won't last forever.

I started reading this and not long into it I began thinking to myself "Did I miss the rather conspicuous blue phone booth materializing and dropping this article off?" Yeah sure I knew it had to be a speculation article but darn it all if I wasn't thrown off until the very end of it.

To beat the proverbial dead horse, I only have 2 games for it and am eagerly awaiting a 3rd in the form of the psp kingdom hearts game. That's it really the system has been somewhat of a dud if you ask me.

I could say the same thing about the DS as well considering when I look at the games available for it and still find more interest in GBA games from the days of yor. That's personal opinion, however.

Really I don't keep up with the hand-held market. I've always felt a hand-held was something to bring on long trips to occupy oneself with an arcade style game you can breeze through with relative ease and still want to play it over and over without tiring of it. That's why the kirby's adventure port for the GBA is my constant standby for all road trips.

Sparrow Tag:

Rigs83:

It's being released with some PSP exclusive DLC, but it might take a while.

Pocket Gamer:

rawr

I only just realised that was there.

Rawr to you too, sir.

I was being sarcastic.

Really, Sony is doomed. It's down to MS and Nintendo. The PS4 won't come out. It will come to 2 companies doing consoles, MS and Nintendo. MS will be mostly Hardcore, while Nintendo will stick to making games for grandmas.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here