The Pocket Gamer Report: How Sony Stole Christmas 2010

Pages PREV 1 2

Am i the only one that thinks the PSPgo looks waay more comfortable to hold than the first PSP?

HAHAHAHA, Sony actually using backwards compatibility! That's Hilarious! Ah, you amuse me so. Seriously, though, making the PSP smaller isn't necessarily the best thing, I wish we would get out of that trend. Things are at a comfortable size now, any smaller and the eyes start to hurt, the buttons get too close together, and you have to be a champion text-messager to be able to do anything at all.

Rigs83:

Sparrow Tag:

Rigs83:
I hear that Duke Nukem Forever is a PSP2 exclusive.

It's being released with some PSP exclusive DLC, but it might take a while.

Pocket Gamer:

rawr

I only just realised that was there.

Rawr to you too, sir.

I was being sarcastic.

So was I. Or as Pocket Gamer would say... "rawr"

Pendragon9:

Treblaine:

Megacherv:
For Nintendo, the Metroid Prime Trilogy set. For Microsoft...erm...don't pay attention, but I'm sure they've had some in the past.

Ever heard of Xbox Originals on XBLA? Everything from Halo 1 to Black to Psychonauts to Fable 1 and most of XBox top titles as well as a load of classic PC games from Secret of Monkey Island to Doom and Duke Nukem 3D.

PSN offers in Europe... Syphon Filter 3... and a couple other titles I didn't care about even when they came out on PS1, no sign of the classic PS1 games like MGS1, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Soul Reaver, etc. I don't think any region of PSN offers a single PS2 game to download.

Wait, so the PSN doesn't have any titles because you don't like any of them?

I don't follow. I could just as easily say the XBOX doesn't have any original titles because I don't like any of them or I could easily get them on the Ps2.

That wasn't his point. The point was that you can't find much good stuff on PSN, with no love for the classics that made Sony so big back in its heyday. Contrast with the Xbox Originals system, which has some of the greatest games in existence at its disposal.

If Sony puts itself together and releases some of its classics, such as the MGS series, Crash Bandicoot (the Naughty Dog era ones) and maybe even Katamari Damacy, I would be all over it. Until then, it needs work.

Don't blame the game, blame the players. And by game, I mean the console. And by players, I mean Sony. They've spent the entire generation making bad decisions and being stubborn about it.

Man I'm really starting to hate the Pocket-Gamer guy. If this was supposed to be a joke, it wasn't funny. I'd like to see some good analysis of the current Pocket Gaming gneration for once, not just some sarcastic, half-witty bullshit.

Lord Krunk:

That wasn't his point. The point was that you can't find much good stuff on PSN, with no love for the classics that made Sony so big back in its heyday. Contrast with the Xbox Originals system, which has some of the greatest games in existence at its disposal.

If Sony puts itself together and releases some of its classics, such as the MGS series, Crash Bandicoot (the Naughty Dog era ones) and maybe even Katamari Damacy, I would be all over it. Until then, it needs work.

Don't blame the game, blame the players. And by game, I mean the console. And by players, I mean Sony. They've spent the entire generation making bad decisions and being stubborn about it.

As far as I know MGS 1 and all Crash Bandicoots are already out on the PSN. A Katamari Damacy reboot is also in the works, so hey looks like all your dreams are becoming true.

The line-up of Japanese PS1 titles on the Japanese PSN is phenomenal, really not sure why they can't pull themselves together and get them to the European PSN. What would really be awesome though would be a re-release of Abe's Oddysey/Escape.

For the 'no good stuff on PSN' I greatly disagree, maybe you should check it out more thoroughly because the line up is definitely on terms to the other consoles.

Lord Krunk:
snip

Well, after seeing their Hannah Montana PSP advert, i won't deny the stubbornness of their ideas. However, i don't trust the fans will ever forgive Sony even if they sent all their fans chocolate. To me, the fans can out-stubborn the companies anyday. By the way, sorry if this post has errors. My comp died (damn Microsoft and their crappy Windows.) and I'm running on ps3 internet right now

Not another one!
Haven't they just released some shiny ones.

The title should be called, " Wishful thinking and bold statements humiliate Sony Yet Again."

Enough with this fortune teller crap. Just like with each Mp3 player that comes out like the Zune, it was always called an ipod killer, ... until they all failed... miserably... every time...at the current price in a global recession, the pspgo is TOO EXPENSIVE for an unknown device.... the ipod touch and the iphone are NOT gaming devices and they took the thunder away from the PSP.... the psp = fail. People are sick of Sony. People always want to move on to something new. Sony had a good run. It's finished now.

jacksprat:
The title should be called, " Wishful thinking and bold statements humiliate Sony Yet Again."

Enough with this fortune teller crap. Just like with each Mp3 player that comes out like the Zune, it was always called an ipod killer, ... until they all failed... miserably... every time...at the current price in a global recession, the pspgo is TOO EXPENSIVE for an unknown device.... the ipod touch and the iphone are NOT gaming devices and they took the thunder away from the PSP.... the psp = fail. People are sick of Sony. People always want to move on to something new. Sony had a good run. It's finished now.

The PSP has sold 50 million, jesus tapdancing CHRIST exactly what is a success to you asshats anyway?!

Onmi:

The PSP has sold 50 million, jesus tapdancing CHRIST exactly what is a success to you asshats anyway?!

I'd tend to agree strongly with this, It's not a bomb, it's just... not the DS. All the same, my two-word response to the article would be "or not".
To expect SCEA to know where their towel is to that level is truly laughable based on short-term record.

Honestly, Sony needs to give up on the handheld market. Nobody is going to beat Nintendo in this market. It's just not happening.

Madmanonfire:
Honestly, Sony needs to give up on the handheld market. Nobody is going to beat Nintendo in this market. It's just not happening.

Not a fanboy at all, no no.

OT: The PsP is nice. Its pretty, got some alright games, and the controls are bearable when you get used to them.

The DS is alright. Its graphics are more quirky for the casual gamers. The games are not hardcore games containing a plot and story they are collections of mini games for more casual gamers. The controls are exteremly simple, and the touch screen is a nice addition but its also made that way so it doesnt scare off its casual gamers. My definition of a Hardcore gamer is somebody who loves gaming and would rather go through an RPG or a shooter for the story or to be the best they can be online. A casual gamer loves to play Diner Dash 2, or the fucking DS puppies games. Thats why the PsP isnt as popular, the home-bound mothers dont care for Kratos's journey to mount Olympus.

Pocket Gamer:
The Pocket Gamer Report: How Sony Stole Christmas 2010

Will the PSPgo lay the seeds for Sony's handheld triumph?

Read Full Article

An interesting article though I think you are ignoring an even more recent development in the gaming industry; social gaming.

Social gaming manages to merge casual gaming with things like social networks; Facebook, Twitter etc. A number of iPhone apps support the Facebook connect feature allowing people to enjoy social gaming while being mobile. More importantly, social games tend to be free with micro-transactions for users that want to further tailor their own experience.

I find it interesting that you suggest that Sony would be the company to do this. After all, we're talking about a company so paranoid about content protection that it almost ruined itself with the XCP DRM on its CDs. A company that made a format, UMD (Universal Media Disc) which failed because it didn't manage to fulfil the simple 'universal' requirement.

Quite simply, that are too arrogant and unwilling to accept market developments as they are happenning. We just need to look at their history to see that they react slowly; MiniDisc was failing but they pushed it even over MP3 players. They didn't get in against the iPod, they are trailing phenomenally in the digital music arena.

The PSP has been losing against the DS and now iPhone. Sony thought they had a sure thing with the Playstation and PS2. They believed another technology jump and consumer loyalty would get them to the top of the console industry, it didn't.

I'm not trying to pick on Sony, this is something that affects all large companies. I mean Nintendo came out of nowhere and no-one saw it coming. If it did one thing it certainly shook the foundations at Microsoft and Sony HQs. They get too big and can't respond to quick shifts. I just can't see Sony being at the helm of a scalable Pricing structure based on game content. Expect stubbornly high retail prices for the future and new competitors to shine.

We can expect this to last until the next 'generation' or rather, development; we have no idea if there will be any new physical consoles. When that comes who know who will take the crown? We'll have to wait and see.

j0z:
That would be awesome if it really happened.
But why do I, for some reason, doubt it.
Also, I bet in that fantasy world Ep3 comes out in xmas 2010, and Valve fully supports the PS3.
A nice fantasy, but sadly not true.

Couple those last two with the sea turning to blood and sky opening up into vally of fire and you have the end of days.

OT: They would have to bring a level of epic innovation to dig out a deacent little spot in the market.

Lord Thodin:

Madmanonfire:

OT: The PsP is nice. Its pretty, got some alright games, and the controls are bearable when you get used to them.

The DS is alright. Its graphics are more quirky for the casual gamers. The games are not hardcore games containing a plot and story they are collections of mini games for more casual gamers. The controls are exteremly simple, and the touch screen is a nice addition but its also made that way so it doesnt scare off its casual gamers. My definition of a Hardcore gamer is somebody who loves gaming and would rather go through an RPG or a shooter for the story or to be the best they can be online. A casual gamer loves to play Diner Dash 2, or the fucking DS puppies games. Thats why the PsP isnt as popular, the home-bound mothers dont care for Kratos's journey to mount Olympus.

And you call me a fanboy? Better take a look in the mirror.

Don't use "hardcore", it's a stupid term made up for all the games involved with guns, swords, and killing, thinking they're better than other games because they're for more mature audiences. Also, I like how you go more in depth about the DS and its flaws which you poorly explained, while not saying anything about the PSP flaws. Real non-fanboyism there.

Just because graphics aren't as realistic as possible doesn't mean they're for casual gamers. There are games that wouldn't feel right with realistic games, and there are games that should only have realistic graphics. Graphics compliment a game's feel. There are games better suited for more artsy, original graphics.

And you obviously don't know much about the DS if you say all the games in general are silly and packed with minigames. But what do you expect from a fanboy? Try looking up the many games that are worthy of your silly "hardcore" title.

And the controls are all the same of previous Nintendo handhelds, but they added a touch screen because they're innovative. And it turned out to be a hit. The PSP isn't as popular because it is better used as a media device than a video game handheld.

HG131:
Really, Sony is doomed. It's down to MS and Nintendo. The PS4 won't come out. It will come to 2 companies doing consoles, MS and Nintendo. MS will be mostly Hardcore, while Nintendo will stick to making games for grandmas.

Was that an attempt at humour? Have you entirely forgot the Game Cube? Not only did that tank, but it performed worse than the already badly performing N64. And yet Nintendo still captured the market with the Wii. Funny how things can change like that.

'Losing' one generation of gaming will not ruin Sony. Not even close.

Madmanonfire:

Lord Thodin:

Madmanonfire:

The DS is alright. Its graphics are more quirky for the casual gamers. The games are not "hardcore" games containing a plot and story they are collections of mini games for more casual gamers. The controls are exteremly simple, and the touch screen is a nice addition but its also made that way so it doesnt scare off its casual gamers. My definition of a Hardcore gamer is somebody who loves gaming and would rather go through an RPG or a shooter for the story or to be the best they can be online. A casual gamer loves to play Diner Dash 2, or the fucking DS puppies games. Thats why the PsP isnt as popular, the home-bound mothers dont care for Kratos's journey to mount Olympus.

Don't use "hardcore", it's a stupid term made up for all the games involved with guns, swords, and killing, thinking they're better than other games because they're for more mature audiences. Also, I like how you go more in depth about the DS and its flaws which you poorly explained, while not saying anything about the PSP flaws. Real non-fanboyism there.

Just because graphics aren't as realistic as possible doesn't mean they're for casual gamers. There are games that wouldn't feel right with realistic games, and there are games that should only have realistic graphics. Graphics compliment a game's feel. There are games better suited for more artsy, original graphics.

And you obviously don't know much about the DS if you say all the games in general are silly and packed with minigames. But what do you expect from a fanboy? Try looking up the many games that are worthy of your silly "hardcore" title.

And the controls are all the same of previous Nintendo handhelds, but they added a touch screen because they're innovative. And it turned out to be a hit. The PSP isn't as popular because it is better used as a media device than a video game handheld.

If you were to look at my above post it says my definition of a what i think "hardcore" means. So that clearly means your probably just skimmed over what i said rather than read it. Yes the PsP has flaws. The controls are annoying and you cant just pick it up and it feels natural. You must have played it for a certain period of time so they dont feel awkward and annoying. It also clearly draws attention from it being a strictly gaming device when you throw in the internet and the ability to download MP3s. The whole multimedia portion of the PsP draws it from being in the "main game" category.

However I looked up all the DS games out, to date, that would be "worth my silly hardcore title". Wanna know what i found? A lot of games designed with ONE thing in mind to do for a period of time to occupy your attention. Lots of mini games that ensconce the entirety of the game, making it something to play casually to pass the time. I looked into a lot of games that seemed to have interesting titles or started out sounding promising but eventually led to me simple puzzle games, or the diametric opposite......hard puzzle games. I found a few RPGs that are games originally released on the NES or SNES like the Metroid series. It also had the Pokemon franchise which Ive always been a fan of; however other than maybe for a couple series exceptions the entire system was designed for a person who doesnt game regularly to pick it up and have fun wasting time on a plane, or on a bus, or waiting for anything. I never said anything NEGATIVE about the DS, I simply said that it was designed for Casual gamers, not people who want to unfold a story for a long period of time. You were just outright bashing what I said, which means you interpreted me calling the DS a casual gaming device an insult.

And PS: I never said I wasn't a Sony fanboy, but my post wasn't about me. It was about you.

Lord Thodin:

Madmanonfire:

Lord Thodin:

Madmanonfire:

The DS is alright. Its graphics are more quirky for the casual gamers. The games are not "hardcore" games containing a plot and story they are collections of mini games for more casual gamers. The controls are exteremly simple, and the touch screen is a nice addition but its also made that way so it doesnt scare off its casual gamers. My definition of a Hardcore gamer is somebody who loves gaming and would rather go through an RPG or a shooter for the story or to be the best they can be online. A casual gamer loves to play Diner Dash 2, or the fucking DS puppies games. Thats why the PsP isnt as popular, the home-bound mothers dont care for Kratos's journey to mount Olympus.

If you were to look at my above post it says my definition of a what i think "hardcore" means. So that clearly means your probably just skimmed over what i said rather than read it. Yes the PsP has flaws. The controls are annoying and you cant just pick it up and it feels natural. You must have played it for a certain period of time so they dont feel awkward and annoying. It also clearly draws attention from it being a strictly gaming device when you throw in the internet and the ability to download MP3s. The whole multimedia portion of the PsP draws it from being in the "main game" category.

However I looked up all the DS games out, to date, that would be "worth my silly hardcore title". Wanna know what i found? A lot of games designed with ONE thing in mind to do for a period of time to occupy your attention. Lots of mini games that ensconce the entirety of the game, making it something to play casually to pass the time. I looked into a lot of games that seemed to have interesting titles or started out sounding promising but eventually led to me simple puzzle games, or the diametric opposite......hard puzzle games. I found a few RPGs that are games originally released on the NES or SNES like the Metroid series. It also had the Pokemon franchise which Ive always been a fan of; however other than maybe for a couple series exceptions the entire system was designed for a person who doesnt game regularly to pick it up and have fun wasting time on a plane, or on a bus, or waiting for anything. I never said anything NEGATIVE about the DS, I simply said that it was designed for Casual gamers, not people who want to unfold a story for a long period of time. You were just outright bashing what I said, which means you interpreted me calling the DS a casual gaming device an insult.

And PS: I never said I wasn't a Sony fanboy, but my post wasn't about me. It was about you.

1. I did read your "hardcore" definition, but I disregarded it because you basically took the definition of a core gamer and added "hard" to it.

2. Every system has its fair share of "casual" games, including the PSP. Also, gamers are not prone to want to do more than play games on a handheld, usually. That's why the PSP lost.

3. I'll say this once. The DS was not made for casual gamers. It caters to everyone. It has plenty of games for casual and core gamers. The only metroid games on the DS are Metroid Prime Hunters and Metroid Prime Pinball. Those were not on the NES and SNES, they're merely a franchise brought over to the DS. But really, there are way too many DS games to look at in depth. There are lots of silly casual games and there are lots of core games. Simple as that.

4. I was, as you call, "outright bashing" what you said because what you said was mostly biased and needed corrections.

5. If you're not a sony fanboy, don't act like one.

Madmanonfire:

Lord Thodin:

Madmanonfire:

Lord Thodin:

Madmanonfire:

1. I did read your "hardcore" definition, but I disregarded it because you basically took the definition of a core gamer and added "hard" to it.

2. Every system has its fair share of "casual" games, including the PSP. Also, gamers are not prone to want to do more than play games on a handheld, usually. That's why the PSP lost.

3. I'll say this once. The DS was not made for casual gamers. It caters to everyone. It has plenty of games for casual and core gamers. The only metroid games on the DS are Metroid Prime Hunters and Metroid Prime Pinball. Those were not on the NES and SNES, they're merely a franchise brought over to the DS. But really, there are way too many DS games to look at in depth. There are lots of silly casual games and there are lots of core games. Simple as that.

4. I was, as you call, "outright bashing" what you said because what you said was mostly biased and needed corrections.

5. If you're not a sony fanboy, don't act like one.

You my friend clearly were not taught english as your first language. Re-read what i bolded in my post.

1. Theres no argument there, just a battle of semantics.

2. Yea the PsP has its share of casual games, but its on a ratio of like 1 to 20. Also if the handheld is for nothing more than gaming, why does the DS have pictochat? Or "dictochat" if you use it enough.

3. Again I will admit the PsP has silly games but its more "core" games excel in quantity. The DS is the exact opposite. Go to your local walmart and count how many silly games you get compared to how many "core" games you get. Yes the DS caters to everyone, but who uses it most? Is it the guy who loves MGS, or Silent Hill, or Fire Emblem? No its the teenage girl, or mother who likes to have fun with silly mini games.

4. Needing corrections from your biased stand point is not making corrections. Its debating.

5. Read what i said first.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or