Preview: Section 8

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Preview: Section 8

Section 8 adds its own twists to a concept that feels very, very familiar.

Read Full Article

Looks really interesting.
If not slightly familiar.

but with no hats :(

You know, I think I killed you a couple times while I was playing... and yeah, for a beta tihs game is really really good. Some of the weapons need balancing, and the VIPs are just annoyingly hard to kill, but overall it's lot f fun.

Prepare to die at your hands? We shall see, Mr.Funk. We shall see.

It looks...well, I'm not sure if I would put money down for it just yet. I like the spawn mechanic, but...well I'll just get the Beta and see how I get on.

Looks very fun, what systems is it for? What are the PC reqs(if on PC)?

The beta was fun... for about a Day. Suprising how New Hat turns into Old Hat so quickly with a multiplayer FPS. Orbit-Dropping is pretty sweet, and so is impact-killing an enemy (or ally) while uber-sprinting across the map, but after all the new sparklies, it's still just the same thing we've seen before ever since Duke 3d Deathmatches.

Interesting, looks abit like a Battlefield game. I'll have to give it a try.

Looks interesting. Yeah yeah, copy and paste, but at least you know you're safe?

I played the beta, and, beyond the fact that it wasn't generally polished up, I really loved it.
I think that the complete version will be amazing. It seemed very original in that you could customize your loadout and drop wherever you want. The fact that each customization of your loadout could affect the gameplay a lot was very empowering.

So it's not a videogame prequel to Section 9... damn.

Looks like fun and I'll have to give it a try, but it looks kinda halo-y...

John Funk doesn't get the whole "space marine" thing.

To paraphrase Louise Griffin
"Space soldiers are weak, now space marines, those are the ones you want to fuck."

Looks interesting. I'll definitely be checking this one out.

What about the Space Coast Guard?

Think you can throw a link into that article, John? Thanks.

So the game is called Section 8... Is there going to be a sequence where you try to get out of your unit by dressing in floral print dresses?

I'm playing the beta at the moment and really enjoying it, it's even curing me of a TF2 addiction. Only problem is the game crashes every twenty minutes or so. Hopefully the complete version won't but i'm not sure if i want to buy it or not.

Interesting, kind of reminds me of Quake Wars...which nobody played.

This makes me think of Tribes Aerial Assault, so I totally want it cuz I love that game.

Section 8 huh?.. I wonder if those are the aliens from District 9.

I like it, very tempted to press the preorder button, off to see what the squads I used to play BF2/2142 with are up to, could play that game non-stop for hours because of squad-play - and this seem very much the same.

can you kill an enemy by spawning falling down on them?

SomeUnregPunk:

Supposedly, but I've never seen that/done it. You can kill/damage by running into an enemy in Overdrive (running really fast and tackling them).

Is there going to be a Escapist server?

Bold words, Funk - if I actually played games online, I would test you on them. Instead, I challenge you to a game of guessing what's in my pockets!

KingPiccolOwned:
So the game is called Section 8... Is there going to be a sequence where you try to get out of your unit by dressing in floral print dresses?

Hee hee! I see what you did there!

Thanks Anti for the response.
Can you attack the spawning solider as he falls? I noticed in the game-play videos that there are drop-ships, can you spawn on top of them?

I like that you can adjust your character to suit your needs prior to spawn but I hope when they release the game those options are unlock-able like COD did it. Is the gameplay like CellFactor: Psychokinetic Wars?

Arbitrary Cidin:
Section 8 huh?.. I wonder if those are the aliens from District 9.

I originally thought this was going to be a parody review of a District 9-like movie.

Anyway, this looks...surprisingly interesting, for an FPS.

If I had my computer, I might check it out.

Doug:
Interesting, looks abit like a Battlefield game. I'll have to give it a try.

How so?

Ok, now I can see the lvl design better and they work, but again this is only the online maps and not the game play ones

-M

Nerdfury:
Bold words, Funk - if I actually played games online, I would test you on them. Instead, I challenge you to a game of guessing what's in my pockets!

KingPiccolOwned:

The sound of laughter soothes my vexed mind. Aside from that though you've earned a cookie! Unfortunately though I can give you none, as I do not know how to do that yet.

I accept your challenge Funk...
It's pistols at dawn...
lol nice preview man ... hope to see you since aussie servers appear and disappear at random

KingPiccolOwned:

Nerdfury:

KingPiccolOwned:

The sound of laughter soothes my vexed mind. Aside from that though you've earned a cookie! Unfortunately though I can give you none, as I do not know how to do that yet.

Burns: KLINGER, take that dress off!
Klinger: Not on the first date, sir!

SomeUnregPunk:

You can indeed! I managed to fluke out once and land on a guy who was hacking our team's control point. Got a "feat" for it. Never been able to pull it off again. Hell, haven't even been able to land on a vehicle yet, it's dang hard to be precise about where you're going to land.

And yes, you can be shot out of the air while falling. A large part of the game's strategy revolves around taking control points so that you can take over the anti-aircraft guns of the place. My first drop I thought, "Hmm.. I'll just drop into that red circle there since that seems to be where I see the blue triangles." I couldn't even make out individual buildings before I was staring at the screen telling me I'd been killed.

Biggest flaw so far seems to be no voice communication in game. For a game that revolves around teamwork like this one seems to, that's not a good thing.

*Sigh*

Though I try so hard to look on the bright side, but when I see these games, I cry. All these games want to do is be like Halo. They want the success that allows them permission to release an expansion pack at full price, to be able to release some shit in a bag and make millions off of it. Why doesn't anyone try to do something clever and new like Ace Team did with Zeno Clash?

If I really want to play a generic space marine shooter (I still have not felt the urge after all these years), I will play the most generic space marine shooter of all time; Halo.

I cant believe they actually went with "Section 8." They better put in at least one Pvt. Pyle.

WJeff:
*Sigh*

Though I try so hard to look on the bright side, but when I see these games, I cry. All these games want to do is be like Halo. They want the success that allows them permission to release an expansion pack at full price, to be able to release some shit in a bag and make millions off of it. Why doesn't anyone try to do something clever and new like Ace Team did with Zeno Clash?

If I really want to play a generic space marine shooter (I still have not felt the urge after all these years), I will play the most generic space marine shooter of all time; Halo.

Did you even PLAY the game?

I ended up downloading the open beta after watching this review to give it a go.... While by no standards is it amazing and I'm still not quite sure if I'll buy it, but I can say one thing. This is not Halo by any means, the only thing similar is you being a guy in a heavy space suit.

I played the beta and I left it with a resounding "Meh." It seems a lot, to me, like the entire Battlefield series with a few tweaks and space marine supersoldier types instead of Joe Blow infantryman.

Honestly, I'd say to all of you to try it for yourselves. Maybe you'll enjoy it more than me.

Great Beta so far, should atleast try it.

Is it me or do the blue marines look like Dark Samus?

http://metroid.neoseeker.com/w/i/metroid/4/4a/DarkSamus.JPG

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or