Escape to the Movies: Inglourious Basterds

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Inglourious Basterds

This week MovieBob checks out Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds.

Watch Video

Thanks Bob another must see film then!

So wait, it's actually good?
That's a surprising turn of events..

+ You should fix the title, isn't it Inglorious Bastards?

Well, I've always loved Tarantino, so I just had to see this.
But now, after this little snippet of info, I bet my friend, who isn't a huge Taratino fan, would enjoy this as well!
Good show, Bob!
Now fix your mic!

Two good movies in less than a week. Wow, never thought it would happen.

Thanks for the review Moviebob.

headshotcatcher:

Nope, its with an e in "Basterds".

I was kinda looking forward to this movie before and now I'm pretty much sold on it.

I really like the sound of this movie, i'm glad that the protagenists are mostly Jewish, kick ass jewish revenge movies are cool. =]

excellent review, I'll be watching it again later, its Bob's voice... smooth and authoritative.

Also, can I put a question out?, regarding the Jew's, ermm anyone here a Jew that has seen it or heard of the plot line to the film?, and how do you feel about Jew's being portrayed in such a way?, as killing machines, but probably witty and quick thinking killing machines being a Tarantino movie, but still.

I ask because if it was a film regarding black people directed by a white guy such as Quentin we'd have N'Gai Croal shouting from the roof tops about how socially regressive it is.

headshotcatcher:

Nope, Mr Panda is correct, the title has an e in it, its mispelt on purpose because there is a seventies Italian Combat film (spaghetti combat) called "Inglorious Bastards" and calling this film the same name would create a "langdell cascade".

A langdell cascade is like a resonance cascade but with legal documents flying at you instead of Aliens, the person who owns the rights to "Inglorious Bastards" so happens to be Quentin Tarantino.

Odd no?

Sounds really good, but I'm just curious if the film really is a spaghetti western as Tarantino described it, or something else entirely.

I love Tarantino. My dad and I watch all of his films together. I really wanted to go see this with him, but he past away a month ago. I'm gonna go see this with my friends. It will feel like my dad is there with me watching the film. The last movie we saw together was watchmen. I remembered when we were talking about Tarantino and this movie in the car during a long two hour car ride.

Very cool. Glad I'm going to see it tonight.

Mr.Pandah:

headshotcatcher:

Nope, its with an e in "Basterds".

I was kinda looking forward to this movie before and now I'm pretty much sold on it.

Okay but tat first the title of this thread (and maybe the vid) said Inglourius Basterds but it's been fixed already :)

Inglourious Basterds is written like this on purpose (he kinda explains it on Letterman ; google it).

I saw the movie yesterday and it really deserves all the praise it can get.
Like moviebob said, I went into the theater only having seen the teaser, not the final theatrical trailer (which is even more action-packed) but I was nonetheless expecting a kill-bill-esque nazi blood bath.

SPOILER-ish...sort of.
The beginning was surprisingly good, but action-free; I said to myself that it must be the build-up and the relentless action will soon ensue. Well it didn't, even though it could've, with characters that beg to be shown mercilessly cleaving nazis, like Spieglitz and the Jew-Bear, wich were only introduced, the audience not (really) seeing their nazi-killing-spree.

Albeit dissapointed in this regard, near the middle of the movie I got over it pretty fast, once I truly grapsed what an amazing job Tarantino had done with this movie ; script, camera-angles, the actors (most of them) are AMAZING, the atmosphere is unbelievable. I was actually nervous during the first act, and thought I've heard girls screaming outside the farmer's house, I was THAT tense.

Tarantino's shit-happens-Travolta-dies-on-the-crapper moment in this movie is also priceless. Great movie, great review, this movie ROCKS and Brad Pitt, 3rd movie in a row in which he is simply amazing. Bravo and 'grazie mille, paysano!'

I might want to go and see this.

Interesting - I thought it might be good, but a review had me question it (although then I remembered it was in the Guardian, so I took it with a mountainous amount of salt).

Nice to hear its a good film.

ColdStorage:

Also, can I put a question out?, regarding the Jew's, ermm anyone here a Jew that has seen it or heard of the plot line to the film?, and how do you feel about Jew's being portrayed in such a way?, as killing machines, but probably witty and quick thinking killing machines being a Tarantino movie, but still.

A polish development team build Hidden and Dangerous and, ladies and gentlemen, Mel Brooks...

Between Mel Brooks and Spike Milligan, I think the "underdogs" have been chewing on Hitler's remaining 'nad for some time now.

nice, how do you make these so fast? its 1:00 pm, maybe its the different timezones i guess

definately looking forward to this one, not sure when it comes out here in Australia, but certainly one ill be keeping a close eye on from now on. I'm a bit of a Tarantino fanboy, but this review definately didnt hurt my ambitions to see this film :p

I'm surprised it's more complicated then I imagined. Another good review from Movie Bob. About four minutes in he mention how he doesn't expect Tarantino or anyone to make anything as "perfect and visionary as the "Kill Bill" cycle" anytime soon. Well I'm still hoping for something that good, and soon, because I need to see something incredible come out of the silver screen. Anyone have an idea to what he's reviewing next?

I am not a fan of Quentin Tarantino's movies... I never finished a single one of his movies without having to change the channel change dvd's or walk to another movie that is playing at the same time. I know what you are thinking why watch? well because I always give the benefit of the doubt. I will watch any movie staring anybody because I choose not to judge stuff right off the top. I try not to judge but fuck this I am saving my money and going to spend my money on dorito's and Mountain Dew.

headshotcatcher:

Surprising? OK this isn't meant to make me sound like an ass but, how many Tarantino flicks have you seen?

The_root_of_all_evil:

ColdStorage:

A polish development team build Hidden and Dangerous and, ladies and gentlemen, Mel Brooks...

Between Mel Brooks and Spike Milligan, I think the "underdogs" have been chewing on Hitler's remaining 'nad for some time now.

Well that is true, isn't the majority of Hollywood funded by Semites?, I like the comment Bob made about the Movie being propaganda, essentially in this day and age the media controls the people. its a nice touch by Tarantino to make such a statement in the film, and good of MovieBob to spot it.

I love Mel Brooks stuff, in fact on this very site someone mentioned in the off topic forum about how Mel Brooks was racist against Jews, I can't remember which thread it was but I had to inform the poster that Mel Brooks was a big fat Jew.

Could you elaborate on your "polish hidden and dangerous comment", i'm at a lost, sorry.

I can't wait! As an editing nerd I always find Tarentino's movies a special treat. Sally Menke knows her shit. :)

Darrkon Fearlock:

headshotcatcher:

Surprising? OK this isn't meant to make me sound like an ass but, how many Tarantino flicks have you seen?

I've seen Pulp Fiction before, it's applauded all over but I kinda hated it. It had like two funny moments as far as my memory goes.

Also, the previews for this movie didn't look interesting at all to me so that's why it's surprising

So it's a must see?
Well then... I'll watch it then

Looks good...
I should consider getting it, seeing as it's been out for most of the week already...
just need to get into town...

headshotcatcher:

Darrkon Fearlock:

headshotcatcher:

I've seen Pulp Fiction before, it's applauded all over but I kinda hated it. It had like two funny moments as far as my memory goes.

Also, the previews for this movie didn't look interesting at all to me so that's why it's surprising

augh, I'm sorry but why does everybody think that Tarantino is some kind of comedy director and writer. He does great movies with great characters that have some humor peppered throughout the movie. If you want comedy go watch Kevin Smith.

And check it out I shall, thanks again bob.

ColdStorage:

Could you elaborate on your "polish hidden and dangerous comment", i'm at a lost, sorry.

Hidden and Dangerous was a stunningly good representation of the Allied's raids into German Territory during WW2, and has an awesome "Get To Da Choppa" mission, although replacing the helicopter with a Lancaster bomber.

The development team was mostly Polish, and you could tell with some of the names for your guys.

Darrkon Fearlock:

headshotcatcher:

Darrkon Fearlock:

headshotcatcher:

augh, I'm sorry but why does everybody think that Tarantino is some kind of comedy director and writer. He does great movies with great characters that have some humor peppered throughout the movie. If you want comedy go watch Kevin Smith.

But shouldn't a movie have some suspence in it? Pulp Fiction was blah blah blah blah blah slight action blah guy in gimp suit blah blah blah blah slight action as far as I could tell

Darrkon Fearlock:

headshotcatcher:

Darrkon Fearlock:

headshotcatcher:

I don't think it's entirely that, though.

Pulp Fiction did a lot of really original things when it came out. That was in 1994, though. 15 years ago (*insert "holy shit I feel old now" here*). Between then and now, a lot of movies have reused a lot of the devices that were so original in Pulp.

Imagine going through the last 15 years or so, not having seen Pulp Fiction, but being privy to every other similar dialogue-driven movie that has come out since then.

Then imagine watching Pulp Fiction.

Wouldn't be all that amazing, would it?

this has been edited a few times, as I'm kinda particular about my point here

ColdStorage:

Well that is true, isn't the majority of Hollywood funded by Semites?, I like the comment Bob made about the Movie being propaganda, essentially in this day and age the media controls the people. its a nice touch by Tarantino to make such a statement in the film, and good of MovieBob to spot it.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA! Hold on there, friend ;) I imagine you probably didn't mean it to sound as such, but that sounded a LITTLE BIT too close to "the Jews control the media" for my tastes; and since you invoked my name and put a word or two in my mouth, I feel the need to respond and set my own record straight. If you've been misunderstood, feel free to set your own as well ;)

Firstly, I did NOT say that this film is "propaganda," I pointed out that one of it's principal characters is Josef Goebbles, Hitler's Minister OF Propaganda. Secondly, I don't put much stock in "media control the blank" conspiracy stuff of any sort.

Regarding the film's "Jewish vengeance" angle, there's not much to "spot." It's right out there in the open: The film is EXPLICITLY a meant-to-be-enjoyed revenge-fantasy... (seriously, DON'T click that unless you want the mother-of-all-spoilers. I warned you!)

I'm honestly incredibly curious to see how this plays to Jewish audiences (has is opened in Israel yet?), particularly older folks and/or people who had a personal direct connection to WWII and/or the Holocaust itself; since it's kinda setting out to be to them what "Rambo II" was to angry Vietnam veterans...

MovieBob:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA! Hold it right there, mister.

Cheers for that Bob, I was sort of wondering how to reply to that.

Tarentino has always been one of my favourite directors. Jackie Brown is one of his neglected titles, so I'm glad that's got a visual look-in as you scrolled over his works.

This is a little off topic, but Goebbels as well as being a thoroughly unlikeable man was actually a big film buff. He took his job as Reich Ministry for Public Enlightenment and Propaganda very seriously. He held off the ban of all foreign films for longer than needed and would try to personally go through as many film scripts as possible giving creative suggestions even though he was qualified to. His favourite film was gone with the wind - and since I hate that film, I'm just going to go ahead and accuse anyone of liking that of being a Nazi...

Not to nitpick Bob, but Tarantino had a bit role in Desperado, and a writing credit in Sin City.

That aside, I really want to see this.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or