A Wasteland Revisited

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

A Wasteland Revisited

If you hated Fallout 3, give it another look. You may only dislike it the next time.

Read Full Article

Was the ending really needed? Your basically inciting flames between the olde Fallout lovers, and the new ones.

As a side note, I agree with the main point of this review. Rushing through Fallout 3 is like eating a sandwich without chewing, then complaining it didn't taste of anything.

Wow I felt that way exactly, The first run through was really bland for me, but I came back to it 6 months later with a different attitude and loved it so much more

Same, i just rushed through ignoring what was in it, only when i went and loaded up my power armored character just before the final fight and decided to walk in a random direction (Indecently North east) from the citidal did i realise how much effort went into this game,
you cant really do that on the orignal fallout.

I tried to slow my pace down and enjoy the wasteland, but I just couldn't. I'm no old fallout fan, the entire game just felt boring to me. I've been spoiled by Stalker's zone I think, which is much more atmospheric and interesting.

johnman:
I tried to slow my pace down and enjoy the wasteland, but I just couldn't. I'm no old fallout fan, the entire game just felt boring to me. I've been spoiled by Stalker's zone I think, which is much more atmospheric and interesting.

I wouldn't call it Atmospheric and interesting... But what I will say is this..

The main reason MOST retards can't like fallout 3 is this... and your post summed it up nicely... When they see guns in an FPS view the first thing every retarded Halo fan will shout is "ZOMIGAWD A FURST PURSHON SHOOTAR!" Fallout 3 is an ACTION RPG, NOT A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER! For god sakes you just compared Stalker, a FPS open world with some equipment management, to a GOD DAMN ACTION RPG that just HAPPENS to have guns XD Now if you said you would rather play Fable 2, or something like that, then I would understand, but comparing 2 different genres isn't only unfair, it's retarded.

WhiteTiger225:

johnman:

The main reason MOST retards can't like fallout 3 is this... and your post summed it up nicely... When they see guns in an FPS view the first thing every retarded Halo fan will shout is "ZOMIGAWD A FURST PURSHON SHOOTAR!" Fallout 3 is an ACTION RPG, NOT A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER! For god sakes you just compared Stalker, a FPS open world with some equipment management, to a GOD DAMN ACTION RPG that just HAPPENS to have guns XD Now if you said you would rather play Fable 2, or something like that, then I would understand, but comparing 2 different genres isn't only unfair, it's retarded.

Nice use of the word retarded... -.- No body will take you seriously unless you clean up your language and remove all emotions from the text

GodsOneMistake:

WhiteTiger225:

johnman:

Nice use of the word retarded... -.- No body will take you seriously unless you clean up your language and remove all emotions from the text

Yes, because lord knows no one fucking swears on this cunting webserver you call the motherfucking bullshitting internet.... right? :p

I did not rush through this game, I did not rush through the first two games, I still think the first 2 are immeasurably more complex and enjoyable and even the baser things like gore are better in the first two games.

WhiteTiger225:
Yes, because lord knows no one fucking swears on this cunting webserver you call the motherfucking bullshitting internet.... right? :p

Classy response.

WhiteTiger225:

GodsOneMistake:

WhiteTiger225:

johnman:

Not exactly what I meant, If your are trying to make a genuine point, you need to be intelligent about it... Using retard immediately causes you to lose any respect or validity whatsoever. Swearing is fine but, just be intelligent about it.

I felt that Fallout 3 was a very good game from the start. Though how good it was and how much good things it addedto the universe (Liberty Prime, weapons, HD graphic and character custumization, clothes primarly) I can not count it has a true Fallout game. The lack of a interesting storyline and good dialog is too obvious.

Sparrow Tag:
Was the ending really needed? Your basically inciting flames between the olde Fallout lovers, and the new ones.

War, war never change.

But yeah, that game is all about the trip, not the destination. This is why I totally loved it. I'm an explorer. I love to just go in one direction and face what ever the world throws in my way.

WhiteTiger225:

johnman:

So to sum up your rant, if you would prefer to play a FPS than an RPG, you're a retard?

Hmmm... interesting opinion. Not sure I agree fully, even though I'm an RPGer and prefer only intelligent shooters like Vegas 2 though Borderlands looks very intriguing. My best friend is more into action and FPS than I am and he even plays FO3 in such a fashion, but I don't think he's retarded at all. Don't tell him I said that!

I rushed through the game until I got stuck in a museum with all broken limbs and no ammo. Luckily, I rented it so it wasn't a waste of money. A couple months later or so, my friend bought Fallout 3. I decided I should give it another try and now I'm planning to buy it on the PC. :P

heh, while everyone who didn't like fallout is starting to like it, i'm drifting away from it

its so weird

I dunno, I've done all 3 in the series. I thought it was much better organized and planned out than Part 2. The first one was a bit better balanced in terms of weapons to experience level. Otherwise, Fallout 3 mostly nailed it. As long as you have the DLC the ending gets fixed, so I honestly thought the main story was a pretty decent spin on The Road.

The thing about a Fallout game is that you have to really carefully balance how much of an edge the player gets on the game. Emphasizing the sense of desolation and doom comes from just how ugly a struggle survival can be. My only real complaint about three was that by level 12 I was an unstoppable killing machine with 200 stim packs backing me up. That isn't possible in the other Fallout games, very rarely do you become that powerful. In Part 1 once you got the modified plasma rifle you were pretty deadly, but picking a fight with a pack of super mutants was still a bad idea. In Part 2...it was brutally hard. There were points were you had to do something cruel & evil just to get enough ammo & cash to live. Even the tutorial in that game was pretty tough.

I still maintain that it would have been better as a solely third-person game..
With decent dialogue.
Buying the GOTY edition despite that, though.

Bad idea rushing through the story. I had my most enjoyment with it going to every single location in turn, seeing the game world and what it has to offer. It's a bloody brilliant game.

GodsOneMistake:
Wow I felt that way exactly, The first run through was really bland for me, but I came back to it 6 months later with a different attitude and loved it so much more

Me to. I didn't really understand the beginning, but after a month or two, I picked it up and loved it.

dogstile:
heh, while everyone who didn't like fallout is starting to like it, i'm drifting away from it

its so weird

Same. Maybe you gotta play more than once to generate a full opinion or something.. Maybe they planned this so everyone will decide to pick up the game again and it will be bought more. It's genius. GENIUS I TELL YOU.

dogstile:

its so weird

It isn't that weird actually. Once you know the whole world there is to explore in Fallout 3 it loses its appeal. I've started a second character half a year ago and played till lvl 16 but somehow it lost its magic in the process. Because when I started the second character, I wasn't going for the story - I was going for "what did I miss out in the first run?" and went to those places like a sightseeing tour. Biggest mistake I could make with Fallout 3.

I'll probably pick it up again next year when the PSN DLC is out (too many games on preorder this year to give Fallout the attention it deserves)

Here, this is a summary of this review:

"blah blah blah elitist gamer rhetoric blah blah hype is over so its okay for me to like it now blah blah blah still have to be a snob and dick about it though blah blah blah I am awesome blah blah."

Fallout 3 was...fun. The first time I played it I was confused and a little disturbed(mainly by the centaurs). But I got used to it and slowly progressed through the story while stopping any time I felt like killing something new or exploring a new-found building in the middle of the wastes. It's certainly entertaining for awhile, but(sorry to do this) compared to Oblivion, it just doesn't have the replayability.

i thought it was a good game. but i was expecting a whole lot more. it just didnt feel right to me. it was too action orientated. not enough thought was put into the setting.
anyways. i agree with the "its the best oblivion mod" description.
i also found the wandering really boring. everywhere was the same. find a building. explore said building. fight a whole ton of mutants/ghouls/raiders/robots/chinese/other. that was every building. i just dont get how they can say there are a few settlements that are surviving in the wastes when there are about 500 hostiles to every non-hostile. and the non-hostiles seem a lot worse at combat.

but oh well. ill stop my rant short. fallout 3 is good. just not great.

edit: oh and comparing it with stalker... i havent played a lot of stalker but i think its probably a pretty fair comparison. calling fallout 3 an action rpg is really really generous. its almost entirely combat. theres hardly any times you can talk your way out of things. and all the exploring everyone mentions... i tried to run around exploring for fun... but i got so bored of having to get in a gun fight every 5 seconds that exploring was worse than just pursuing the plot.

GodsOneMistake:

WhiteTiger225:

johnman:

I took him pretty seriously, i found the emotion to have the little extra kick of enthusiasm.

I actually feel glad that you can just skip through the story, ya know...casually.

The game can be a blast both for those who love the atmosphere and for those who love more face paced games.

Then again I might be a little bit biased because my character is an asshole (currently my first run) and I rather use the fastest ways to solve problems.

My friend *who owns it on XBOX* is one of those "I must complete the main story because I must figure out the story". While I am a gamer who suffers from A.D.O.S *attention Deficient Oh Shiny* syndrome, so I ended up doing all the exploring and he does the questing, its quite interesting, I mean he bought the Giant Strategy guide thing for the game, and in Tranquility Lane figuring out the little musical note puzzle, I took about 20 mins, 15 mins in he goes to get the strategy guide to look it up, he comes back up stairs all ready looking at it and telling me what the guide said, I look at him and say "oh that I am already past it." then he throws the book down and said why did I even buy the guide. But he was getting bored with the game until I was taking us off the path and exploring everything, he would always chose the diplomatic options and perks/skills and I would always chose the stealthy killing perks/skills. Do to this the Karma level was always even.

Populus89:

Then again I might be a little bit biased because my character is an asshole (currently my first run) and I rather use the fastest ways to solve problems.

Also there is nothing wrong with the "fastest way" or as I like to call it, the "combat knife to the eye, way".

GodsOneMistake:

WhiteTiger225:

johnman:

I took him seriously, there's no need to pretend to be polite on the internet.

As for the game, I even liked the dialogue. Sure, it isn't revolutionary, but so what?! It wasn't the focus of the game. It should've been better, but who cares in the long run. It was a good game.

AkJay:

GodsOneMistake:

WhiteTiger225:

johnman:

I took him pretty seriously, i found the emotion to have the little extra kick of enthusiasm.

Well than I suppose it's just me, cause I don't think anybody that uses retard three times in one post has anything of any importance to say

jeretik:

GodsOneMistake:

WhiteTiger225:

johnman:

I took him seriously, there's no need to pretend to be polite on the internet.

I also took him seriously so you fail. ^^

I seem to be the only one here that takes his time to enjoy a game the first play-through, but there was so much in Fallout that I'm on my 10th playthrough and it still seems new to me. I love it.

GodsOneMistake:

AkJay:

GodsOneMistake:

WhiteTiger225:

johnman:

Well than I suppose it's just me, cause I don't think anybody that uses retard three times in one post has anything of any importance to say

You must not be familiar with the comedic stylings of George Carlin.

WhiteTiger225:

johnman:

I compared them as like it or not they are very similar. Both set in devastated open worlds with massive freedom, similar RPG elements (seriously the RPG elements in Fallout were laughable, dont call me a FPS tard, I am a massive Fan of KOTOR and Neverwinter). I approached Fallout 3 in the same way that I did Oblivion since they are pretty much the same game, but the difference was that, ten hours in I wasnt enjoying Fallout 3 at all and playing it actaully gave me a headache it was so monotonus.

And the thing is, you can approach Fallout 3 with the "ZOMIGAWD A FURST PURSHON SHOOTAR!" mindset and come out with good results as its just so frigging easy, I tried to play it like an indepth RPG but gave up when I realised all I had to do was get an assult rifle and hold down left mouse till somthing died. Try that in Stalker and you get your ass handed to you by the lowiest of enemies.

I genuinely can't understand how people rush through the storyline.

First time I tried to do the main story arc, I ended up getting so pissed off with Moria Brown I shot her in the face with a combat shotgun. The second time I tried to do the main story arc, I ended up in a power station somewhere up north after someone ran up to me, screamed "I HAVE A GRENADE IN MY POCKET!" and exploded and I went off to investigate from the general direction she ran in from. Third time, I ended up in the middle of a war between two superheroes, with no idea how I ended up there. It just goes on and on...

It must take a focus on target on par with the Terminator to keep on that storyline, but damn the game was amazing...

L.B. Jeffries:
My only real complaint about three was that by level 12 I was an unstoppable killing machine with 200 stim packs backing me up. That isn't possible in the other Fallout games, very rarely do you become that powerful. In Part 1 once you got the modified plasma rifle you were pretty deadly, but picking a fight with a pack of super mutants was still a bad idea. In Part 2...it was brutally hard. There were points were you had to do something cruel & evil just to get enough ammo & cash to live. Even the tutorial in that game was pretty tough.

Aye, my bro was a big Fallout 3 fan and for a gift i bought him a pack which came with 1 2 and tactics
he never played it so i decided to instead, I gave up after trying to find the rope to get into the second vault

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here