Review: Wolfenstein

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Review: Wolfenstein

Because the only good paranormal power-abusing Nazi is a dead one.

Read Full Article

I found the game to be a bit of fun.
Certainly gives me something fun-ish to play while I wait for the bigger titles.

Edit: Damn, Stuck on either the/1 of the last boss/es.
so hard to kill power abusing nazis...

"Oh, hello Mr. Mean Nazi! Poff!"

Splendid!

I'm a teensy bit miffed you don't go up against Cyber-Hitler, but you can't have everything.

The Veil powers remind me an awful lot of that other Nazi Shred'emup BloodRayne though.

in the game can you put the camera behind you like in third person or is it just first person?

Leichenfaust is an odd name for a weapon. (a direct translation would be corpsefist)

The_root_of_all_evil:

The Veil powers remind me an awful lot of that other Nazi Shred'emup BloodRayne though.

Came to my mind aswell.

Game itself looks fairly interesting, I might pick it up later if I have the money to spare.

Also, Susan, you managed to nigh-on perfectly replicate my friend's sister's session of Doom 3. She was running around with the BFG9000 yelling POOF! Every time she shot a demon.

Island:
in the game can you put the camera behind you like in third person or is it just first person?

First person.

And the poof gun is awesome. My hope is that anyone playing the game will now be compelled to say "poof!" whenever they use it. I just love the mental image of a bunch of tough FPS fans yelling "poof!" :)

ObnoxiousPotatoe:
Leichenfaust is an odd name for a weapon. (a direct translation would be corpsefist)

That translation is sort of fitting. The gun fires out a ball of what seems to be gravity, which sucks the skin and muscles off your enemies, and throws the skeletons across the room, which turn to dust.

Only major problems I have with the game, is that the pc version is a carbon copy of the console version. All of the menus are made to be navigated with a controller, and sometimes makes them a it difficult to use.

Also the hit detection sometimes goes all screwey, it leaves you pumping bullets into and invisible corner of the wall your hiding behind, almost as if the walls model is slightly bigger than it actually looks.

Ok wasnt sure if I wanted to play this but you convinced me with the "poofer" gun.

I really had decided to give this a miss but i'm not sure i can resist the allure of the poof gun, maybe wait till its second hand and I can get it on the cheap though.

xenus87:

ObnoxiousPotatoe:

Only major problems I have with the game, is that the pc version is a carbon copy of the console version. All of the menus are made to be navigated with a controller, and sometimes makes them a it difficult to use.

Also the hit detection sometimes goes all screwey, it leaves you pumping bullets into and invisible corner of the wall your hiding behind, almost as if the walls model is slightly bigger than it actually looks.

The original Wolfenstein games were pretty much the same type of menu, if you mean in terms of mouse usability.

The walls and props in just about every game are slightly larger than what you see. This is so the game's collision detector has a chance to stop you from going through the objects when you hit it at full speed. It has the unfortunate side effect of being shot sometimes. I can't say for sure about it's function in this game though, but it's definitely not just this game that has the invisible wall problem. Chalk it up to good physics, something which I'd say most games don't really need.

xenus87:

Well, I will say that the physics are a bit off in places. A hospital bed managed to completely stop a rocket I'd fired -- that's some pretty sturdy construction. Certainly no worse than other games, though, and a minor complaint in a very, very fun game.

The gameplay is as shit as in every FPS nowadays, but I really enjoyed the paranormal shit, especially a part in the start of the game, where you blow up a train packed with some blue paranormal goo or something and when it explodes, then it's zero gravity for some time. Or the part where you sneek up on a ceremony where a bad-ass nazi mage(bad ass because he had a nice leather coat and blue flames around his hands, dude, I wish I could do that) was summoning something and I just shot him in the back xD

The Poofgun sounds more like a weapon that makes nazis come out of the closet.

This game looks and plays like it was a mediocre title made 10 years ago. Avoid at all costs.

If you really need a supernatural shooter right this minute, get FEAR 2 which was better.

Poof gun? Slaughter should never be that adorable.

Susan Arendt:

xenus87:

Well, I will say that the physics are a bit off in places. A hospital bed managed to completely stop a rocket I'd fired -- that's some pretty sturdy construction. Certainly no worse than other games, though, and a minor complaint in a very, very fun game.

I recommend upgrading Empower. It gets rid of all Schrödinger's Walls(you don't know if there's one until you shoot at it).

On topic of the review, i think there should be a section on the boss battles too, considering that they are a large part of the game. Hans in particular was very epic(and very trial and error at some points).

Also, how was the difficulty on the consoles? I found the PC version to be laughably easy, completing Uber in 10 hours 30 minutes and could have done it in less then 8 if i hadn't combed over the town 3 times for money for upgrades i didn't need.

Having no idea who Nightcrawler is and never having seen Hellboy, i assume that the scary nazi is the burning green skeleton that's immune to almost everything and has veil powers on it's own, am i correct? On the PC version they are also the most aggravating opponents in the game, zipping around and occasionally instagibbing me unless i get the drop on them with an empowered particle cannon. Which makes them the only credible threat that isn't a boss. Scribes like teleporting straight into my bayonet range, Ungesehen aren't that unseen at all and don't respond well to Veil and neither do the Drache Troopers or those female ninjas with 2 square feet of cleavage

Well, it's Wolfenstein... you were expecting something boring?

Asehujiko:

Susan Arendt:

xenus87:

I recommend upgrading Empower. It gets rid of all Schrödinger's Walls(you don't know if there's one until you shoot at it).

On topic of the review, i think there should be a section on the boss battles too, considering that they are a large part of the game. Hans in particular was very epic(and very trial and error at some points).

Also, how was the difficulty on the consoles? I found the PC version to be laughably easy, completing Uber in 10 hours 30 minutes and could have done it in less then 8 if i hadn't combed over the town 3 times for money for upgrades i didn't need.

Having no idea who Nightcrawler is and never having seen Hellboy, i assume that the scary nazi is the burning green skeleton that's immune to almost everything and has veil powers on it's own, am i correct? On the PC version they are also the most aggravating opponents in the game, zipping around and occasionally instagibbing me unless i get the drop on them with an empowered particle cannon. Which makes them the only credible threat that isn't a boss. Scribes like teleporting straight into my bayonet range, Ungesehen aren't that unseen at all and don't respond well to Veil and neither do the Drache Troopers or those female ninjas with 2 square feet of cleavage

It's definitely not the hardest game you'll ever play, but I wouldn't say it was laughably easy. Depending on your particular shooter skill, though, you may have a different experience.

The boss fights are a big part of the game, but I found them to be mildly disappointing. They relied a bit too much on "do X a specific number of times", which while classic boss construction, feels a wee bit stale. Still, they were grandiose and flashy, which is always good.

And no, that's not the guy I'm talking about, though those green bastards are pains in the ass. No, I mean the guy who first shows up in the hospital who's a cross between this guy and this guy.

Cajt:
"Oh, hello Mr. Mean Nazi! Poff!"

Splendid!

That was for the win.

Susan Arendt:

Asehujiko:

Susan Arendt:

xenus87:

It's definitely not the hardest game you'll ever play, but I wouldn't say it was laughably easy. Depending on your particular shooter skill, though, you may have a different experience.

The boss fights are a big part of the game, but I found them to be mildly disappointing. They relied a bit too much on "do X a specific number of times", which while classic boss construction, feels a wee bit stale. Still, they were grandiose and flashy, which is always good.

And no, that's not the guy I'm talking about, though those green bastards are pains in the ass. No, I mean the guy who first shows up in the hospital who's a cross between this guy and this guy.

That would be the Ungesehen(english: unseen). Activate Veil Sight when you hear them. That makes them visible. After which you rush at them and kill them with Mire/Bayonet/BFG Poof Gun.

Even for a non-hardcore game, 8 hours isn't what i expected on the highest difficulty, using only the sniper rifle except for bosses and no prior knowledge of the series other then the fact that it at one point featured mecha-hitler dual wielding double barreled gatling guns. What was your total playtime and on what difficulty? Maybe it's just the PC version that is poorly balanced because using a scoped bolt action gun to kill anything not in stabbing range shouldn't be a viable tactic against everything without it's own theme song.

Im quite enjoying the game, as you said its nothing new but its rather fun. The paranormal twist to the Nazi lore is a good touch. The upgrades and add ons fit in well to the Wolfenstein formula.

On a different note, watching your video made me realize the one thing that annoyed me about the game on easy, you can take a ton of damage. By the way Susan, youre supposed to get out of the way of the bullets ;)

The Poofgun comment made me laugh. Nice review. I don't like zombies but this looks really nice.

This game was very fun, the only real complaint is that the last boss is a total cheap-ass and it's overall rather short. Otherwise it's awesome and really great fun.

xmetatr0nx:
Im quite enjoying the game, as you said its nothing new but its rather fun. The paranormal twist to the Nazi lore is a good touch. The upgrades and add ons fit in well to the Wolfenstein formula.

On a different note, watching your video made me realize the one thing that annoyed me about the game on easy, you can take a ton of damage. By the way Susan, youre supposed to get out of the way of the bullets ;)

Oh, shush. :) The tough thing about making these videos is that you're trying to get a specific image, and concentrating so much on that, that you kind of forget you're being shot at. So, yeah, I die rather a lot trying to get the perfect shot of Mire or the Poof Gun, or whatever.

It's awesome. I'm not too keen on the "hub-world" aspect, but whatever.

It doesn't stop the missions being brilliant and the last boss being AWESOME.

Just for once I'd like to play a WWII FPS game that doesn't invole the protagonist killing half the population of Zürich. I know that the nazis lost the war and all, but don't you people ever get tired of killing the same enemy all the time?

ZerOmega:
Just for once I'd like to play a WWII FPS game that doesn't invole the protagonist killing half the population of Zürich. I know that the nazis lost the war and all, but don't you people ever get tired of killing the same enemy all the time?

Nein! Es ist mann gegen mann...deutcher mann

ZerOmega:

May I point you in the direction of Call of Duty: World at War? You get to kill the Japanese too!

Spleenbag:

May I point you in the direction of Call of Duty: World at War? You get to kill the Japanese too!

Multiplayers don't count.

ZerOmega:

It's one of the rules of gaming. If it's (un)dead or a Nazi, you can do whatever you like to it.

ZerOmega:

Spleenbag:

Multiplayers don't count.

The entire American half of the game is set in the Pacific Theater, broseph.

Did you even like the game? I think you forgot to mention that somewhere in your 'review'.

Susan Arendt:

Island:

First person.

And the poof gun is awesome. My hope is that anyone playing the game will now be compelled to say "poof!" whenever they use it. I just love the mental image of a bunch of tough FPS fans yelling "poof!" :)

Did you tear Wolfenstein a new asshole? I wanted to watch the review, but I'm cautious... since I still have high-hopes for it :S
Also, if it is bad... don't say it, please? Like I said, I still have extremely high hopes for it :[

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here