Anime Review: Samurai Champloo

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Anime Review: Samurai Champloo

This hip-hop anachronistic take on Edo Japan is still one of the best anime series of the last decade.

Read Full Article

I remember seeing this on Adult Swim a couple of years ago.

It was good, not the best I've seen, but still pretty good.

...dammit, now I want to watch it again!
Well, its off to the store for me.

Samurai Champloo...love! This ended up being a /really/ good series. It had its odd moments, but all in all I definitely enjoyed it and would recommend others watch it.

Fun Fact:

If I recall, Champloo is slang for remix. So its pronounced Samurai Remix.

This was the only anime i ever enjoyed.

YES !!! this is a great anime/manga wow i havent seen it in ages ive got the manga of it on the shelf gathering dust i really should read it again sometime also id recomend watching/reading it if your into anime/manga

I wasn't really impressed by the manga... but that's typically the case with post-anime manga releases. As an anime though, it's definitely one of the best samurai themed animes I've seen. The action is well animated, there's less of the retarded generic sword swinging / flash of light to mask the actual sword play, the majority of the fight scenes are actually choreographed and drawn out in full which makes it all that much more fun to watch, reminiscent of the fluid fight scenes in Bebop. Sure, the plot's a little lacking and the characters are generic set pieces, but they are generic for a reason, they're good and they work, so I hold no grudges against that.

It's no Cowboy Bebop? I would say Cowboy Bebop is no Champloo...

KarmicToast:

Word.

I've watched almost all of Cowboy Bebop, but I just can't seem to love it as much as I love Samurai Champloo.

I liked the episode with the Dutch gay guy.

So weird to here my own languish in a Japanese animation.

I think the series used one too many "omfg he almost died" death bed moments, but there was a ton of clever stuff in there. Last sword fight was badass, right down to Mugen pulling a comeback move of DBZ proportions.

I actually am not fond of Cowboy Beebop. It just never really interested me.

Anyway, yeah, Samurai Champloo, aside from being a great anime, also has one of the better tie-in games (Samurai Champloo: Sidetracked). It's not perfect, but it's fun, and, just from the name, you know how easy it was to make it not have any effect on the anime itself, yet still tie in... much how some of the episodes work with each other.

I remember watching this a few years ago on Adult Swim. It was one of my favorites.

I love Cowboy Beebop. I had a great story and wonderfull sidetrack that pulled me in. This trys the same thing with one exception. I cant stand Hip-Hop, the story is really good and the characters are deacent, I just find it hard to get through the opening.

Yay Samurai Champloo! Easily one of my favorite TV shows, EVER!

Croaker42:
I love Cowboy Beebop. I had a great story and wonderfull sidetrack that pulled me in. This trys the same thing with one exception. I cant stand Hip-Hop, the story is really good and the characters are deacent, I just find it hard to get through the opening.

For the most part, I agree with you (I generally hate Hip-Hop/Rap music) but other than the opening and various wipes/scene changes, it doesn't have that much rap in it. That said, this has to be one of my favorite animes

Sorry, but I can't agree with that.
Don't get me wrong, I watched Samurai Champloo and like it a lot, despite thinking it still didn't get even close to Cowboy Bebop, specially music wise.

Now, calling it the "best anime series of the last decade"? No, DEFINITELY no. I don't think I can even rank it on my top ten list.

But oh well, opinions epinions

XSportSeeker:

Now, calling it the "best anime series of the last decade"? No, DEFINITELY no. I don't think I can even rank it on my top ten list.

Actually I said "one of the best anime series", shouldn't go chopping words off like that, it's dirty.

Samurai Champloo is one of the only anime I've ever liked because it had originality. The others would be Paranoia Agent and Evangelion (Best anime ever, though sometimes lacking in action.)

7ru7h:

Croaker42:

For the most part, I agree with you (I generally hate Hip-Hop/Rap music) but other than the opening and various wipes/scene changes, it doesn't have that much rap in it. That said, this has to be one of my favorite animes

All of the BGM is RnB, Hip-Hop and Blues...with Hip-Hop rhythms and pacing. I play the soundtrack while replaying GTA: San Andreas.

Anyway, just like Cowboy Bebop it brings a foreign culture's art styles into Japan's near-homogeneous setting. The art is 10/10, the plot and characters are simple and pure, the music is haunting at times, and the ending is actually refreshing after all that the journey entailed.

And it entailed some raunchy, tragic stuff. They get a lot of character depth and detail but not much growth, and it works fine. "It is not about the destination, but the journey."

Watched it 3 times end to end, and always saw something I missed. Just like FLCL, another unique piece.

One of my favorite anime. Ah, good times.

Samurai Champloo FTW!!!!! my boyfriend got me hooked on this shit ;)

I love this series.
Yeah, I know the characters can be one denominational at times and the story isn't an epic tale that will last through the ages, but you just can't help but love it.

It knows exactly what it wants to be and makes no excuses for itself. I think in episode one, before the episode starts, A little message pops up that says something along the lines of:

"Yeah, we know this show is not historically actuate. Now shut up and watch it."

Also, while totally off the wall, the baseball episode was one of the fucking best thing I have ever seen in an anime

I love the baseball episode the most

the fight between Jin and that guy at the end of the anime was a great fight too me. (the only guy who has beaten Jin in a fight)

This series was what got me into anime. It is elegant,funny(baseball episode and interaction between main characters), simple, stylish and most important of all, short.

yes hearing them speak dutch is really strange if you're dutch(I'm dutch)
I watched it three times before I could believe that it actually happend

but on topic, nice review and I really enjoyed the series(more than cowboy bebop by the way)

I thought it was a pretty good series. Some of the episodes dragged on a bit, but there were some good ones, like the one where they learned how to play baseball.

I know a lot of people have compared the two but I think Cowboy bebop is slightly better, although it is close between the two.

Casual Shinji:
I liked the episode with the Dutch gay guy.

So weird to here my own languish in a Japanese animation.

that was a freakin hilarious episode, i love the episode about the two gangs who were having a graffiti war, and mugen gets involved for fun and his graffiti pwns both gangs.

I saw a bit of this series on adult swim a few years back an liked it, I had pretty much forgotten about it until I saw that they had whole episodes on youtube. So now I'm going to start checking them out, it definitely looks as good as this review says.

fuck yes, mugen is made of win!

Samurai Champloo is honestly one of the best things I've ever seen. Also, it has an amazing soundtrack by the late Nujabes.

ep 15: best episode ever ^^

Psychosocial:

KarmicToast:

Word.

I've watched almost all of Cowboy Bebop, but I just can't seem to love it as much as I love Samurai Champloo.

As much as i loved Cowboy Bebop's ending and it's characters, i simply can't put it above Samurai Champloo. It's true, i saw SC first and then CB, so that might've influenced my opinion. Then again, when i heard about hip-hop being used in an anime, i was thrilled. I love hip-hop, and the idea of mixing it with the samurai theme just made me even more eager to watch this anime. Bottom line, they're both great animes, and somewhat too different to be compared.

love this show. the edited version make mugan more comedic then in the unedited version. "go *record scratch* yourself"

Nice, i really liked this one, from top to bottom.
It is acctually a great anime, and fun.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or