Zero Punctuation: 2.5D Hoedown

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Sir....are you Splosion man?

I actually enjoyed this review. It was good to see the old yahtzee that actually made fun of the game and not the fanbase around it

Russian_Assassin:
Betmen:Erkhem Esylum is next it seems. I wonder if he finds it good...

If you ever watched any of the Batman cartoons when they aired (for YEARS and years), the voice acting is done by (almost) all of the same voice actors. The Joker, for example is voiced by Mark Hammil (aka, Luke Skywalker). The Demo is very entertaining, and makes me want to get the game. :)

I can see why Yahtzee is looking forward to it.

i love the Lost Vikings reference. it was one of my favorites games in my youth.

VanityGirl:
yay for splosion man, kind of like portal, but lamer. haha.

I hope you're not comparing Splosion Man and Portal gameplay

Back to the review, for me Splosion Man is more like Sonic rather than N+, but less frustrating.

James Cassidy:
Sir....are you Splosion man?

I actually enjoyed this review. It was good to see the old yahtzee that actually made fun of the game and not the fanbase around it

But that means that this video wont have 800 replies of pure comedy gold where the fanboys leap to the defence of their messiah.

Hehe good review as always Yahtzee, while I was reading about those games I seemed quite interested, and now I might actually buy some of them :P

messy:

spleenboy:
You can have half a dimension >.>

May I ask how? (I have a vague understanding of theoretical physics and can "understand" up to dimension 5 and what would occur there)

OT; loved the very last line. Genius

You can have non-integer dimensions, but it isn't exactly the same as the intuitive understanding of spatial dimensions. Here is a wikipedia article on generalized dimensions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hausdorff_dimension
The primary examples of non-integer dimensions are all fractals, where the fractal is "larger" than n-D, but "isn't quite" (n+1)-D. For example, the Sierpinski Triangle (looks like a tri-force made of tri-forces which are made of tri-forces...etc) is about 1.585-D.
Here's another wikipedia link of some more examples: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fractals_by_Hausdorff_dimension

Anyways... I enjoy the aesthetic of 2.5D games, but I agree with Yahtzee's dislike (in the Little Big Planet video at 2:03) about games that try to be "3D" by switching between 2D planes. Those are confusing and don't work too well.

Funnily enough this just appeared in my feeds: http://www.newscientist.com/special/beyond-space-and-time

Arghhhh, the vid doesn't open

Never really been a big fan of 2D games. Except perhaps one or two.

LordCuthberton:
Doesn't Splosian man have avatar unlockabales?

It's got one and I'm thoroughly irritated by the generalization of Splosion man as a game exclusively made for score-whores.

A similar situation occurred after the release of the Halo 3 beta in Crackdown. Releasing expansive bonus content in a game these days seems to set off everybody's cynicism alarm.

Loving the video.

He's still funny after all this time.

I hadn't really been aware of Trine until watching this, but now I kind of want to play it. I really shouldn't though, since I'm trying to work through the metric ton of games I've never finished... but the fact I have so many unfinished games illustrates why I'm probably going to get it anyways.

lol splosion man is trying too hard.

Wait a minute....He actually remembers OUTCAST?! why did he have to diss it? it was one of the best games of it's time, it got so many things that only the past few years did other developers catch up to.

Oh yes I played the Batman: Arkham Asylum demo, and it was just awesome, it got all of my favorite elements for an action game, can't wait to get my hands on that :)

Wow i am going to try trine.. :D

Best Review in a while (from an entertainment perspective).

I don't know about everyone else on here, but when a game has an achievement called "Not A Portal Reference", I get the feeling that the comparison was intentional. I know Yahtzee's meant to be picky, but saying a game's "trying too hard" is one of his most frequent complaints yet it makes no sense.

"Yes maybe I'll skip this level then I'll eat a few french fancies and maybe take a lovely scented bath to clean my massive vagina, now get out of the fucking way this shit will not beat me."

No words can describe the perfection of that comment.

A very refreshing review. This is one of my favorites from the newer reviews.

I played Trine and I'm about halfway through and I had the same problems like Yahtzee had. I was solving puzzles and getting over obstcales in wierd ways (mostly by using the wizard) and I ended up not using the other stuff in the map (extra boxes, swings, platforms, etc) so I felt at times that I was cheating my way through the game.

As Usual, I LOLed

[yawn] when are the new big games coming out??

Loved the genuine frustration.

Great reviews.

A few of the levels in 'splosion man are more of a punishment than a puzzel. It took me forever to get past 2-9.

For Game development, there are several advantages to the "2.5D" approach. Probably one of the biggest is animation. 2D animation takes a lot longer to illustrate and change than 3D animation. With 3D animation, you create a single base, and then you can genarate a near unlimited number of animations from any visual angle. If you want a complex character to be seen from more than one angle in a purely 2D game, it's back to the drawing board for another thirty or forty frames of animation. In a 3D game, all you do is flip a variable around.

Another major advantage is framerates. It is possible in some 2D games to get away with 12 frames per second. But if you want your game to have silky-smooth animation, you are going to want to shoot for 24 fps. And that's a crap-ton of frames for your average illustrated character. 3D animation uses keyframing and interpolation for a lot of its animating. And that means that most animations aren't tied down to a specific framerate. If your engine is running really well, 60 fps is a perfectly reasonable frame rate for them to run at.

2D development has fallen out of favor more due to inefficient development than actual player preference. The skills necessary to construct 3D models are easier to teach than those necessary to illustrate. Of course, this has also lead to the industry being awash with generic space marine 3D models.

"exblah" really made my day. :)

Wow this probably the funniest of his work for a while now.

OT: I liked his take on Splosion man. A game that thinks you need help needs to shut up. Thanks for the offer but it will detour me from my path. Also never heard of Trine but that as well looks rather like a nice platformer. I like the Wizards powers.......i want those.

nice video about 2.5D trend in gaming

games like Splosionman,Trials HD, castle crashers

but a game like shadow complex takes that concept and makes even better.

good review as always Splosion man is one of the weirdest games iv ever seen and that PS3 game sounds very odd 0_o

Seamus8:
"Yes maybe I'll skip this level then I'll eat a few french fancies and maybe take a lovely scented bath to clean my massive vagina, now get out of the fucking way this shit will not beat me."

No words can describe the perfection of that comment.

Indeed. What would've been even better is if Yahtzee had taken advantage of the "Way of the Coward" option and saw the tutu he'd be branded with for saying "Yes".
Seriously, that whole 'Splosion Man section had me holding my sides in laughter. Looking forward to Batman.

I'd love to see Lost Vikings again, even if they have to bread with Little Planet XD

I guess Splosionman is a great show of overusage of number of buttons. It would be simpler if it were Pegasus's pad so there would be explosion button and the other one would do nothing. I guess when you put 10 button and 3 direction sticks on a pad people wouldn't accept game that uses only 1/3 of it.

Next Week is Batman (if the quick preview is correct) and as I gammer it'd be nice if it were actually good, but as a ZP fan I guess a bad game is better to rip to shreds XD

Hilarious as usual.

I don't usually read the comments, but I notice some people actually basing their purchasing decisions on these videos. Please, please, please do not treat these videos as reviews. Or have you not noticed that every single game comes out sounding horrible? These aren't reviews, they're for amusement.

Splosion man is awesome, and has exactly 2 things in common with portal: Cake and a Laboratory. The gameplay couldn't be more different.

flaming_squirrel:

But that means that this video wont have 800 replies of pure comedy gold where the fanboys leap to the defence of their messiah.

Sometimes sacrifices must be made for the good of the colony...

Wait wait wait... I have a question.

By the definition of dimensions, is Prince of Persia actually a 4D game? Hmm...

Anyways, that's my complaint about 'Spolsion Man. They should have cut it off at about level 20 or 30.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here