Escape to the Movies: Halloween 2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Halloween 2

This week MovieBob cuts into Rob Zombie's latest film Halloween 2.

Watch Video

accordian as a hint? you've got me...

Sounds interesting. I'm surprised you seemed to like it as much as you did. All the other reviews have been pretty positive as well so guess I'll go check it out.

Well, at least one remake from the horror genres has actually done something right. Doesn't seem perfect to me, but I'd consider seeing it. The second you mentioned accordion I got a good idea who we'd see.
Any clue on what your reviewing next? Even though it not that hard to guess.

You know, when its not about comic books, video games, sci fi, or fantasy you wear the reviewers hat and actually review a movie. Try doing that more often. As for this movie, ill pass yet again. Horror movies havent done much for me in some time, this probably wont change that at all.

I haven't seen it, but I may be able to guess who it is:

Nothing can compare to the first two Halloween movies by John Carpenter. I honestly thought that Rob Zombie's remake of the first one sucked a big one.

The first Halloween is still one of the best ever made. I watch it every year, and even though I can pretty much recite it verbatim at this point, it still never fails to deliver chills. Halloween 2 was serviceable, if ordinary, but everything really, really started going downhill with part 3. Seriously, what the HELL was that crap? Silver shamrock, my fat aunt Sally.

I actually thought the most recent Friday the 13th was quite well done. Enjoyed it greatly, especially the opening.

Weird Al Yankovic???
holy Sh*t!

Yeah, even critics that don't particulary care for horror movies liked the original.

For my part, I liked the original, and, I confess, even Season of the Witch.

My question would be, since I avoided seeing any of the others: did they ever return to the story hinted at in the first movie, that Michael was actually the earthly avatar of Samhain?
It would provide a very interesting backstory, as well the rationale as to why Myer's is virtually unstoppable and indestructable. Why he can take a licking and just keep on ticking (or hacking).

Proteus214:

Nothing can compare to the first two Halloween movies by John Carpenter. I honestly thought that Rob Zombie's remake of the first one sucked a big one.

just how the hell would he fit in Halloween?

ObnoxiousPotatoe:

Proteus214:

In a way you wouldn't expect,believe me its fucked up.

Wait? An accordian? Does that mean...Weird Al???!!! 'Da Fuck! Most go to confirm somewhere...I was sold at Brea Grant being in it, but if Weird Al's there too, I have to see this.

Rudeboy4360:

ObnoxiousPotatoe:

Proteus214:

He's the second serial killer and kills Myers with his accordion?

PopcornAvenger:

My question would be, since I avoided seeing any of the others: did they ever return to the story hinted at in the first movie, that Michael was actually the earthly avatar of Samhain?

It actually got A LOT stranger than that...

After bringing Michael back under the pretense of "look, he's REALLY hard to kill, okay?" in #4, the series went off on a weird tangent in order to keep bringing him back and involving all the various strands of the Strode and Myers families in the continuity: Basically, over the course of 5 and 6 we learn that Michael was "created" by "The Cult of Thorn" (There's unsubstantiated rumors that at first "Thorn" was supposed to be "Silver Shamrock" again, which would've tied #3 to the rest of the series, but I doubt it) a bunch of Druid mad scientists and that all of his killing up to this point was supposed to be part of some big sacrificial ritual. No, really.

"Thorn" and everything else is basically ignored in the 7th one, which retcons Jamie Lee Curtis back to life (we were previously told she'd died in an accident between #2 and #4) and has Michael turning up at a school where she's working. #8 is about a bunch of kids doing a stunt webcast inside the old Myers house, guess who shows up.

An accordion? Weird Al? Dude, that'd be hilarious.

Anyway, I can read horror novels and get through horror video games but horror movies always give me really intense nightmares. So, a pass for me.

Bigeyez:
Sounds interesting. I'm surprised you seemed to like it as much as you did. All the other reviews have been pretty positive as well so guess I'll go check it out.

Eh... "like" is a strong word. I'd say I "appreciated it." I've seen so many bad, formula slashers in my life that originality - which Zombie brings by the buckets - will perk me up much more than "quality" will.

Like I said, it's a MESS of a movie, but it's really something in fits and starts. I like that Zombie deliberately takes the "thrill" out of the money-shot kills by forcing the audience to watch the victims die slowly, painfully, begging for their lives instead of the "wham! gotcha!" instant-death in the Jason flicks. I like that the teenaged characters actually appear to be the ages they are, which increases the threat unlike most slashers where the bad guy is up against "kids" with the physiques of 35 year-old triathletes. I like that, even though it doesn't totally work, Zombie is trying to imagine what the "real-world" mental-state of a movie-slasher would have to be. And I LOVE that Zombie gives us a believable sense of A.) just how massive and STRONG Michael has to be to do what he does and B.) even-still how much effort it actually takes. "Slasher" isn't even appropriate here... Zombie's Myers literally has to BUTCHER people to make sure the job is done.

You guys are all jackasses. I had no idea who the person he was hinting at was, and then only one person decided to use spoilers. Fuck you all. Infact, I reported everyone who mentioned his name without spoilers.

good review you almost made me go see it, but i really dont care for horror movie in fact i haven't seen a horror movie since i dated that freaky goth chick, blood, poor writing/acting and murders really did it for her for some reason.

Mrsnugglesworth:
You guys are all jackasses. I had no idea who the person he was hinting at was, and then only one person decided to use spoilers. Fuck you all. Infact, I reported everyone who mentioned his name without spoilers.

whew, I'm glad I didn't or else I'd have to face the wrath of some guy on the internet. No offense.

Myers is a pussy next to Jason

Slasher flicks are never really any good. Don't think I'll see this one.

First, amazing intro! Funniest thing you've done, I think XD

Second, damn you. Now I want to see the movie just to see who the cameo is. I didn't even want to see this!

Your reviews keep getting better, keep it up!

EDIT: WEIRD AL!??!?!?!?!?!

Damn...I was unimpressed with the first one (even though I love The Devil's Rejects), but from the sound of it, this one sounds good. Thanks, MovieBob.

I would guess Judy Tenuta.

Rudeboy4360:

ObnoxiousPotatoe:

Proteus214:

he is Michale......oh wait, was I supposed to put that in a spoiler?

Kalezian:

Rudeboy4360:

ObnoxiousPotatoe:

Yes,I thought that come to bite me in the arse.
Don't know how to Make the Spoiler;sadly, Still new.

I was actually waiting to see this with my friend who I have to rent the first one and now I think I will go see it for sure this week. You really are a good Movie Critic when it seems to be something that isn't close to your heart or mind or anything like that.

I have to agree with loving the 1st half of the 1st Halloween remake and what it could have been and was interested to see what he would do with no chains. Zombie is always a jumble of mess, but it's Zombie, it's what he does and it works so I say go for it.

PS: People who did spoil the cameo, that was really kind of a jerk move guys. Just use spoilers lol :)

Rudeboy4360:

Kalezian:

Rudeboy4360:

Yes,I thought that come to bite me in the arse.
Don't know how to Make the Spoiler;sadly, Still new.

dont worry, I havent seen the movie yet, so its a blind guess, but still, Michale has long hair, Al has long hair.............

bickster:
I was actually waiting to see this with my friend who I have to rent the first one and now I think I will go see it for sure this week. You really are a good Movie Critic when it seems to be something that isn't close to your heart or mind or anything like that.

I have to agree with loving the 1st half of the 1st Halloween remake and what it could have been and was interested to see what he would do with no chains. Zombie is always a jumble of mess, but it's Zombie, it's what he does and it works so I say go for it.

PS: People who did spoil the cameo, that was really kind of a jerk move guys. Just use spoilers lol :)

heres another spoiler, Michale kills people in the movie!

Nice Fraggle Rock reference. Otherwise, I will not be seeing this movie. Rob Zombie as a director? No way in hell.

Its Wierd Al Yankovich, I know it is!!

Proteus214:

Just about to say that. I want this so bad. Lol the credits would be I lost on jepordey or something.

i wasn't going to see this thing. But now i am.....

Proteus214:

That's what I'm guessing too. Holy sh*t. If that's it I'll have to see it (and I'm scared to death by horror movies) O.o

If I didn't hate horror movies (nothing against them, I just don't like being scared by my entertainment,) I'd have to see this just to find out how they got the King of Musical Parody in there.

Also, mad props for using the All-Knowing Trash Heap from Fraggle Rock.

MovieBob:

PopcornAvenger:

It actually got A LOT stranger than that...

After bringing Michael back under the pretense of "look, he's REALLY hard to kill, okay?" in #4, the series went off on a weird tangent in order to keep bringing him back and involving all the various strands of the Strode and Myers families in the continuity: Basically, over the course of 5 and 6 we learn that Michael was "created" by "The Cult of Thorn" (There's unsubstantiated rumors that at first "Thorn" was supposed to be "Silver Shamrock" again, which would've tied #3 to the rest of the series, but I doubt it) a bunch of Druid mad scientists and that all of his killing up to this point was supposed to be part of some big sacrificial ritual. No, really.

"Thorn" and everything else is basically ignored in the 7th one, which retcons Jamie Lee Curtis back to life (we were previously told she'd died in an accident between #2 and #4) and has Michael turning up at a school where she's working. #8 is about a bunch of kids doing a stunt webcast inside the old Myers house, guess who shows up.

Yeah I was under the (well) understanding that the curse of thorn required that he kill his whole blood line. Sort of like a mafia curse, until he did so he would succumb to maddening agony and could not die.

I earnestly can't tell you anymore why I think that is the case it is one of those "read it way back when" things. But it certainly made the series make sense.

Then again...honestly if someone told me I'd have to choose between Killing Jamie Lee Curtis or doing/feeling essentially anything else...I just might go and kill her. I think I'm one of the few people that was rooting for Michael the entire time.

Sort of like every time I prayed at night that the next Alien movie would involve the death (permanently) of Sigourney Weaver.

But NO! You know who goes off and dies? Goddamn Heath Ledger. It's never the people I want to die. I think I'm doing things backwards.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here