Rebecca Mayes Muses: Wolverine: Uncaged

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

On Rebecca's last video I commented that her choruses were similar in format In fact in her first three videos she would ALWAYS repeat something three times as the basis for her chorus.

Well it looks like she's sure shown me with this latest effort of hers! She's done something completely original I never could have foreseen! This week she repeated something FOUR times for the chorus! BRILLIANT!

I'm sorry I doubted you and called your choruses somewhat uninspired. I will just sit back with great anticipation to see what you do next! Five times? SIX?! WHO KNOWS! The sky's the limit with this one, truly one of the great musical geniuses of our time!

*sigh*

I'll go back to my bridge now >.>

PS: The irony of her telling Wolverine the last thing he wants to be accused of is being repetitive is not lost on me... at all

slipknot4:

Susan Arendt:

If you don't enjoy it, why do you keep watching it?

Perhaps she will for no reason get some talent and make a good song?

Edit: Why does all the moderators reply on my muses posts?!

Look, not everyone is going to like everything on this site -- that's why we make an effort to provide a wide variety of entertainment. You may love one video series and hate the next. And that's perfectly fair and valid. But showing up simply to spew bile is just lame. If you have something constructive to say, by all means, but otherwise, you're doing nothing more than spreading negativity.

Taerdin:
On Rebecca's last video I commented that her choruses were similar in format In fact in her first three videos she would ALWAYS repeat something three times as the basis for her chorus.

Well it looks like she's sure shown me with this latest effort of hers! She's done something completely original I never could have foreseen! This week she repeated something FOUR times for the chorus! BRILLIANT!

I'm sorry I doubted you and called your choruses somewhat uninspired. I will just sit back with great anticipation to see what you do next! Five times? SIX?! WHO KNOWS! The sky's the limit with this one, truly one of the great musical geniuses of our time!

*sigh*

That was the bridge, not the chorus. Her chorus changed throughout the song.

JugglerPanda:

Taerdin:

*sigh*

That was the bridge, not the chorus. Her chorus changed throughout the song.

Really it was more of a prechorus. Maybe I'm more of an idiot when it comes to music than I'm willing to admit, but don't bridges usually happen only once, and closer to the middle of the song? Just sayin'

I also don't think it invalidates my post, the repetition was still repetitive irregardless of when it was in the song...

slipknot4:
This week!
Gaming music get's to an all-time low with even more repetitive new age crap.

Pffffft. This and your name gives me the image of one of those 12 year olds in Slipknot hoodies I've seen getting trampled on at metal gigs. If you can't say anything nice, interesting or at least amusing: don't say anything.

Rebecca - good stuff as per usual! Keep up the good work.

Better than your last video. I enjoyed it. Don't listen to the haters. They're just jealous of the fact they can't play banjo.

Personnal note for me* 2000 posts already? It feels like I've just sign in recently.

Great video, short and sweet.
I was getting worried there wouldn't be anymore, thankfully I was wrong.

JaneDoe:

Abedeus:
When will you change the way you make the chorus?

you're no
you're no
you're no

Spiderman.

sit down
sit down
sit down
on the couch

It can get repetitive after 4 songs.

Yeah, I enjoyed the irony after hearing 'you get quite repetitive' line, just as I was thinking about how the songs sound pretty similar :P

Coincidence?
I think not!

slipknot4:
This week!

It just keeps getting worse!

Yeah, but your name is Slipknot which makes your argument invalid. (Get it? Because I don't like a band that he likes and he doesn't like the music that I like. That is assuming that slipknot is referring to the band and not the actual knot. In which case, ignore this post.) Seriously, if you're a fan of Slipknot, of course you're not going to like it. Be more constructive with your feedback.

I actually thought this was the best one. I liked that it was short, because I thought the other songs just ran on after you had ran out of ideas. This one was also good as a review, too.

I like how your getting better and better with each one. One thing: I can barely hear your voice over the music sometimes. Use the Mixing software to make the music a bit more background

Susan Arendt:

slipknot4:

Susan Arendt:

If you don't enjoy it, why do you keep watching it?

Perhaps she will for no reason get some talent and make a good song?

Edit: Why does all the moderators reply on my muses posts?!

Look, not everyone is going to like everything on this site -- that's why we make an effort to provide a wide variety of entertainment. You may love one video series and hate the next. And that's perfectly fair and valid. But showing up simply to spew bile is just lame. If you have something constructive to say, by all means, but otherwise, you're doing nothing more than spreading negativity.

Jago's Idea of the Weeeeeek:

Do ya think a video rating system/ attached poll would facilitate the psychological needs for expression among the negatively inclined? I get the impression that a fair amount of smoke has been blown up this particular video series' bum over the last few weeks. This, in turn, makes those who don't credit it with any merit, wish to raise their objections in counteraction... even if they don't necessarily have anything constructive to add. Just a thought.

OT: I found this week's video marginally more bearable than the last one. I liked the brevity. I didn't like the cheapety cheap video. I liked the X-men theme homage. I didn't like the new-age jingly jangly repetitiveness. I thought the banjo was simply included to mock my lack of banjo.

Can we please have a music competition for this slot?! Pleeeeeease!!

Abedeus:
When will you change the way you make the chorus?

you're no
you're no
you're no

Spiderman.

sit down
sit down
sit down
on the couch

It can get repetitive after 4 songs.

this. kind of getting bored of these now.

Love it almost as much as Susan Arendt's voice (and thats alot ;P)

No complaints just enyoing it, a thank you and a tip o' the hat

very catchy as always, nicely done.

I liked it, it was different whilst still retaining your obvious style, which is what I've come to like about your music, People complain that your stuff is too samey, but then name me a band or artist who doesn't find a style and stick with that for at least an album...
It's kind of a pointless thing to dislike about a particular artist if you ask me.

But yeah, where was I?
Oh yeah! I also really love the subtle blend of the X-men theme towards the end, at least I thought it was, if it wasn't sounded very similar.

slipknot4:

Kuliani:

Lemme guess, if a metal band did it, you'd like it more...

Slipknot != Rebecca Mayes

No Kuliani, I'd like it more if an artist with actual talent did this... On the other hand, a metal gaming some would not be that bad... Rogues do it from behind! \m/ //_0 \m/

Then why do you listen to it?!? If you know what type of music she is goin to be play, and its not the type you like or feel that she doesn't have talent, don't click on the link on the video page

Its the beauty of the internet, no one can make you click the link =D

Pinguin:

slipknot4:
This week!

Pffffft. This and your name gives me the image of one of those 12 year olds in Slipknot hoodies I've seen getting trampled on at metal gigs.

I agree

---

Also, Love the video for this one, nicely made // For me its her voice that just makes these songs so beautiful

-M

Not the best one, but definitely not a bad one in my opinion.

this song was ok i really liked some of your older ones from before you joined the escapist will we ever see them here i really like your resident evil 4 song i still hum that in my head when i play it good work all in all though

Hmmm I've listened to most and i'm still on the fence. I liked the "video" but I'm not quite sure about the music. it kinda has a "heard it once heard it a thousand times" feel. But perhaps that is the constrains of a weekly production.

Random argument man:
Better than your last video. I enjoyed it. Don't listen to the haters. They're just jealous of the fact they can't play banjo.

Personnal note for me* 2000 posts already? It feels like I've just sign in recently.

NEITHER CAN SHE! I've grown up watching people play (and occasionally, myself, playing) string instruments, the notes in the song are not the one's she's "playing". It sounds more like she's using some sorta music program. Maybe one of those that Apple is fond of making.

Only reason I watch these, despite the rhythm-less cacophony, is because it is ALMOST catchy and decent, but she uses WAY too many tracks at once. It sounds like she's trying to use as many looping instrument tracks as possible in order to impress everyone or something...

Oh, and she could learn a trick or two from Jonathan Coulton's comedic lyrics. As it stands she's a pretty face with a pretty voice with delusions of musical grandeur, and (if American Idol has taught me anything,) those are a dime a dozen.

That said, I look forward to her next attempt. This idea shows some promise and, if Ms. Mayes can get her artistic head out of her own arse, could eventually become a weekly feature as prominent as Zero Punctuation.

And to those saying how hard it is to get something done in a week, Loading-Ready-Run gets out a relatively decent, comedic short or two out in a week that is of a much greater quality ('cept this one, great editing with the comic panels!) than most of these videos. And they aren't getting paid for any of it!

sneakypenguin:
Hmmm I've listened to most and i'm still on the fence. I liked the "video" but I'm not quite sure about the music. it kinda has a "heard it once heard it a thousand times" feel. But perhaps that is the constrains of a weekly production.

Maybe it's because all of her songs are almost exactly the same.

Also, she has more than a week to loop her songs in a musi... oops, I mean, play the songs and combine every instrument in a music program!

Rannos22:

Random argument man:

NEITHER CAN SHE! I've grown up watching people play (and occasionally, myself, playing) string instruments, the notes in the song are not the one's she's "playing". It sounds more like she's using some sorta music program. Maybe one of those that Apple is fond of making.

Only reason I watch these, despite the rhythm-less cacophony, is because it is ALMOST catchy and decent, but she uses WAY too many tracks at once. It sounds like she's trying to use as many looping instrument tracks as possible in order to impress everyone or something...

Oh, and she could learn a trick or two from Jonathan Coulton's comedic lyrics. As it stands she's a pretty face with a pretty voice with delusions of musical grandeur, and (if American Idol has taught me anything,) those are a dime a dozen.

That said, I look forward to her next attempt. This idea shows some promise and, if Ms. Mayes can get her artistic head out of her own arse, could eventually become a weekly feature as prominent as Zero Punctuation.

And to those saying how hard it is to get something done in a week, Loading-Ready-Run gets out a relatively decent, comedic short or two out in a week that is of a much greater quality ('cept this one, great editing with the comic panels!) than most of these videos. And they aren't getting paid for any of it!

Finally someone noticed that she's faking it. Again, she has more than a week.

Cool B)
Now to check out your other songs...

Sounded the same as the others but I still good.

Abedeus:

sneakypenguin:

Also, she has more than a week to loop her songs in a musi... oops, I mean, play the songs and combine every instrument in a music program!

Rannos22:

Random argument man:

Finally some people aren't commenting on her blonde hair and prettiness but giving a valid opinion on the music. Nice work!

Susan Arendt:

I watch everything on the escapist and i comment on it to share my opinion even if it's negative.
I hope there is no problems with that.

slipknot4:

I watch everything on the escapist and i comment on it to share my opinion even if it's negative.I hope there is no problems with that.

There is no problem with that. However, I'm sure the moderators might find something wrong with it. I've had the moderators siced on me more than once about these Mayes Muses threads and, hell, my posts have been alot milder than other posts I've seen before and after (even pages after, where it can get bad). For some reason, I feel the moderators have singled me out because of my unbiased and honest opinion. Maybe they are particularly pro-Rebecca Mayes.

I'll watch the video. My thoughts will follow shortly.

Well... It was actually pretty good, considering the other videos. I still can't hear the lyrics. for once, I'd like to see a video where the voice isn't overpowered by the music loops. The subtitles are a tad distracting. Also, does she sing during her videos, or is she just handling instruments with a voice-over? I can't tell if her lips or moving, or if it's the video quality.

Rafe:

Abedeus:

sneakypenguin:

Rannos22:

Random argument man:

Finally some people aren't commenting on her blonde hair and prettiness but giving a valid opinion on the music. Nice work!

Thanks. I did the same two weeks, when I noticed that a lot of the praise would be non-existant if it was a dude.

Liked it. I have to admit I'm a real sucker for 'new age crap with high-pitched [female] voices', so I guess my verdict doesn't count, but whatever. Also, I really liked the idea to get Wolverine into therapy.

BUT I do agree with some of the commenters that Rebecca's songs get kind of formulaic. Maybe the weekly rhythm is really not the best idea... I mean: Writing a good song every week is probably already a lot, but recording, arranging and mixing it AND shoot a video? Really? I think there's a lot of talent and potential here that should be given more space.

karmapolizei:
Liked it. I have to admit I'm a real sucker for 'new age crap with high-pitched [female] voices', so I guess my verdict doesn't count, but whatever. Also, I really liked the idea to get Wolverine into therapy.

BUT I do agree with some of the commenters that Rebecca's songs get kind of formulaic. Maybe the weekly rhythm is really not the best idea... I mean: Writing a good song every week is probably already a lot, but recording, arranging and mixing it AND shoot a video? Really? I think there's a lot of talent and potential here that should be given more space.

NOT! WEEKLY!!

I liked this better than your last video. I think. I can't remember your last one.

I enjoyed it, as I also loved the previous ones on the Escapist and the ones before Rebecca made the transition to this website.

In my opinion, this is something you love or hate. This music genre just isn't cut out for everyone. But it is for me and I think she's doing a brilliant job so far and she deserves the praise. Sure, she's no Beyoncé. But I don't care, it's a bold step to try and produce a song every two weeks, accompanied by a video. Trust me, I've made videos for four years now and it's definitely not to be underestimated.

It's mostly time consuming. Someone with the right amount of creativity has no problems processing new ideas into something neat. But it's the entire process itself that takes up a lot of your time.

By the way: anyone who has any questions about the video, try to look at the details. She prerecorded the song and playbacks in the video. Mind the ear pieces she wears of an MP3 player like an iPod or something similar during her shots. And yes, the chords of the guitar on screen don't match what you hear. But it's all about selling the music and illustrating that she does actually play the instruments herself.

Rebecca, keep it up! You're trying to mix video games and alternative music into an attractive product, which convinced me to follow up with in the future.

hamster mk 4:
This video braught an interesting question to my mind. How sanitary are wolverine's claws? When not in use they are floating arround in his fore arms no doubt exposed to what ever germs and bacteria are native to Wolverine's system. When in use he is usualy putting them through badguys or other not sterile objects. While wolverine's mutant healing will keep him safe from sickness and infection, would the rest of us be so keen on eating what ever he was stiring in the mixing bow?

This no longer a situation of "you don't know where that has been," we know where that has been and we don't want it comming anywhere near our food.

Great video by the way. I apreciate Ms Mayes quirky take on video game material, like Wolverines' need for mental help.

This was questioned by Unscippable in their take on Wolverine.
Wolverine's healing factor is a good way to find a cure for diseases. He produces antibodies in no time.

With so many lanuch attacks it's very sad that there's no Colossus in the game to trow Wolverine (because it's there where Wolvie gets his reach).

Now that I think about it, Rebecca could use some green screen sometimes. Not that finding nice churches or arcades isn't good, but this could bring something good to the clips. Like interacting with the game or characters. Just sitting in the back of the street and sing while the main characters runs aroound killing baddies.

slipknot4:

Susan Arendt:

I watch everything on the escapist and i comment on it to share my opinion even if it's negative.

What good is "I don't like it" as a comment? Ok, you don't like it -- well, like I said, not everyone is going to like something, even if that something is good. I don't like chocolate ice cream, does that mean chocolate ice cream has to change? No, because plenty of people like it just fine. And you're not just expressing that you don't like something, you're choosing to do it in a nasty way.

Like I said, if you have something constructive to offer, then please do. But no, I don't see the value in simply being negative.

wow only 3 or 4 songs and they already start to sound all alike.

If this was a dude singing he'd be fired by now. This thing is afloat mostly because of gamergeeks and their interest in boobies. And the artist dressing up to appeal those geeks.

Susan Arendt:

slipknot4:

Susan Arendt:

What good is "I don't like it" as a comment? Ok, you don't like it -- well, like I said, not everyone is going to like something, even if that something is good. I don't like chocolate ice cream, does that mean chocolate ice cream has to change? No, because plenty of people like it just fine. And you're not just expressing that you don't like something, you're choosing to do it in a nasty way.

Like I said, if you have something constructive to offer, then please do. But no, I don't see the value in simply being negative.

Well, sometimes someone needs to express a distaste for chocolate so you don't ignorantly believe that EVERYONE likes chocolate.

Personally, I can't see how anyone COULD like the annoying noise that's in these videos. Music != every instrument trying to play over eachother. That's just chaos. I'd almost like slipknot over this, and I despise that garbled metal garbage with a passion.

I have to be amazed at the amount of work that has to be done every week for just one of these to be accomplished:

Play a game (or significant portion).
Dig the most concentrated form of its gist.
Compose a song about it.
Record the music.
Make a video (with props, effects and the whole kit). For simple that they may be they are so time consuming that it is unbelievable.
And post it.

I celebrate you, admire you and salute you, miss Rebecca. My tolerance for the similarities there presented with previous songs is all yours. You deserve this and much more.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here