Rebecca Mayes Muses: Wolverine: Uncaged

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

i think a lot of people are missing the point of these videos are they are game reviews that are sung the music is not supposed to be great she just talks about the things she does not like about the game of course she sounds the same she has the same basic complaint about each game

Mosstromo:
I have to be amazed at the amount of work that has to be done every week for just one of these to be accomplished:

Play a game (or significant portion).
Dig the most concentrated form of its gist.
Compose a song about it.
Record the music.
Make a video (with props, effects and the whole kit). For simple that they may be they are so time consuming that it is unbelievable.
And post it.

I celebrate you, admire you and salute you, miss Rebecca. My tolerance for the similarities there presented with previous songs is all yours. You deserve this and much more.

How many times do I have to repeat this for people to understand...

IT'S NOT WEEKLY. Started in July, it's end of September already. IT's bi-weekly, once every two weeks.

Also, most of the composing, recording and singing is done by copy-pasting previous songs, changing words and slightly the sound so it doesn't look TOO repeated. But come on, refrain is of exactly the same structure every episode. And same loops...

Btw, could everyone please for a minute stop drooling about "OMG IT'S A PERRTY GIRL!" and focus on how little effort is put in the MUSIC, but more in the VISUALS?

The Bionic Commando one it`s still the best but this is a very good song too, so keep up with the good work !

Rannos22:

Well, sometimes someone needs to express a distaste for chocolate so you don't ignorantly believe that EVERYONE likes chocolate.

That's actually an excellent point. But I think we can agree there's a large difference between saying "I don't care for chocolate ice cream" and "chocolate ice cream is complete shit and anyone who likes it has brain damage." One is expressing an opinion, and one is being nasty.

Though I personally enjoy her music, I understand why others might not. Music is a very personal and emotional thing for people. It resonates with them (or not) in fiercely personal ways.

Doesn't look like its you who sings in the videos.. And I didn't understand that the chubby guy was supposed to be wolverine in the start.

I don't think this is my cup of tea since I thought the whole video was mediocre. Maybe up the lipsync and I may get interested :D

My goodness why is this the one Escapist feature where people feel they have license to slag the artist and not the content. Even Yahtzee doesn't get this much venom for his work.

Abedeus we've already had this discussion in the last video thread. You guys are spewing hate speech not opinions. Besides doing the same action 3 times and expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity. You should just not watch the next video and refrain from commenting. You're very close to providing conclusive evidence of your own mental instability.

Adorable, funny, insightful and entertaining as usual. I showed your Ghostbusters review to a few friends and one of them didn't pay enough attention to hear your review. He asked, "What in that was a review?" It just shows that your sense of humor is lost on some people. I think you are awesome though, so keep it up! You are an inspiration.

Abedeus:

Mosstromo:
I have to be amazed at the amount of work that has to be done every week for just one of these to be accomplished:

Compose a song about it.
Record the music.
Make a video (with props, effects and the whole kit). For simple that they may be they are so time consuming that it is unbelievable.
And post it.

I celebrate you, admire you and salute you, miss Rebecca. My tolerance for the similarities there presented with previous songs is all yours. You deserve this and much more.

IT'S NOT WEEKLY. Started in July, it's end of September already. IT's bi-weekly, once every two weeks.

Also, most of the composing, recording and singing is done by copy-pasting previous songs, changing words and slightly the sound so it doesn't look TOO repeated. But come on, refrain is of exactly the same structure every episode. And same loops...

Btw, could everyone please for a minute stop drooling about "OMG IT'S A PERRTY GIRL!" and focus on how little effort is put in the MUSIC, but more in the VISUALS?

I honestly don't even think she's that pretty... The entire thing is pure drivel.

I feel when you hit 12ish songs. you should release a CD. I'd roll down the road blasting these tunes

thevileangel:
Adorable, funny, insightful and entertaining as usual. I showed your Ghostbusters review to a few friends and one of them didn't pay enough attention to hear your review. He asked, "What in that was a review?" It just shows that your sense of humor is lost on some people. I think you are awesome though, so keep it up! You are an inspiration.

What sense of humor? I didn't laugh even once and I watched all of her videos.

Unless you find funny that a grown up girl dresses up like Spiderman and pretends to play the guitar while mixing looped sounds in a cheap (or free) music program for amateurs.

Wow, what's up with people getting all hostile in this thread? I see people complaining about the quality of the weekly Zero Punctuation or Unforgotten Realms all the time. Yet here it's blowing up to be something real big just because of the fact that it's a girl making these videos? That's silly.

I for one have to agree I didn't really like this video, or her other ones too much. As much as I like the idea, the lyrics are what kills it for me. It's not really inspiring. It's a little too artsy for me. Or atleast it looks like it's trying to be artsy, and that's not my thing.

TheDuckbunny:
Wow, what's up with people getting all hostile in this thread? I see people complaining about the quality of the weekly Zero Punctuation or Unforgotten Realms all the time. Yet here it's blowing up to be something real big just because of the fact that it's a girl making these videos? That's silly.

I for one have to agree I didn't really like this video, or her other ones too much. As much as I like the idea, the lyrics are what kills it for me. It's not really inspiring. It's a little too artsy for me. Or atleast it looks like it's trying to be artsy, and that's not my thing.

Wait wait wait. You are complaining that people are complaining and then you proceed to complain?

Abedeus:

TheDuckbunny:

Wait wait wait. You are complaining that people are complaining and then you proceed to complain?

Aint I clever?

OT: No no no. You misunderstand. I was complaining about people blowing up on eachother and their *opinions*, and then I went ahead and added my own opinion about the video.

This was my favorite song yet. I personally liked the short size. However, one thing bothers me, the chorus. It's far to similar to some of your other work.

Hmm, a bit boring this time. I find the song below (your) average, and the lyrics aren't great either.

Yet another great song is there anywhere to download these because a gaming goldfrapp-y kind of thing needs to be on my ipod

I never understood why people argue against musical taste.

Music isn't a one-size-fits-all thing. Different music appeals to different people. Some people like a song because of its beat, others like it because of its meaning. I like this kind of genre. I don't like everything else. Arguing your musical taste is pointless, since you will not:

A) Convince anybody else that your point is superior.
B) Receive any praise from anybody except from those who share the same simple-minded mindset.
C) Enjoy your posting privileges for much longer.

For those who say "Well excuUUuuse me for sharing my opinion", there's a huge difference. Other people have come into this thread and said "Well, it's just not my taste in music I guess." Then there's the person who phrases things rudely. They're more likely to say "It's repetitive and if she was male then she's lose her job. The only people who like her music are 12 year old boys." Not only is your statement flat-out wrong, but you've also phrased it in a way that would make her feel bad. It's unnecessary, and it's the kind of thing that The Escapist doesn't want or need.

TheDuckbunny:

Abedeus:

TheDuckbunny:

Aint I clever?

OT: No no no. You misunderstand. I was complaining about people blowing up on eachother and their *opinions*, and then I went ahead and added my own opinion about the video.

Ooh, okay.

JugglerPanda:

Music isn't a one-size-fits-all thing. Different music appeals to different people. Some people like a song because of its beat, others like it because of its meaning. I like this kind of genre. I don't like everything else. Arguing your musical taste is pointless, since you will not:

B) Receive any praise from anybody except from those who share the same simple-minded mindset.

For those who say "Well excuUUuuse me for sharing my opinion", there's a huge difference. Other people have come into this thread and said "Well, it's just not my taste in music I guess." Then there's the person who phrases things rudely. They're more likely to say "It's repetitive and if she was male then she's lose her job. The only people who like her music are 12 year old boys." Not only is your statement flat-out wrong, but you've also phrased it in a way that would make her feel bad. It's unnecessary, and it's the kind of thing that The Escapist doesn't want or need.

I'm sorry we saw through her image and into her "talent".

Abedeus:

JugglerPanda:

I'm sorry we saw through her image and into her "talent".

Did you even read my post?

This was my favorite song from RMM yet.

Fine work! :)

Oh and if you don't like it, don't listen to it. Whining on the forums about stuff is rather boring and predictable.

Wow cool, beautiful as always...(the song and girl, not wolverine.. never wolverine..)

It seems pretty girls get geek knights in shining armor to protect them on the internetz.

Abedeus...

Exactly what talent do you have?

I like her voice, her music and what she's doing. I'm not saying that they are Grammy quality works of art, but it was different than Yahtzee's reviews and I liked it. You can go ahead and express your opinion and that's great, but continously trashing her is a d!ck move. Seriously. It just shows that you have so little to offer the world that you have to nay say something so much. Say what you have, then move on. You are sticking around to read other people's posts in retaliation to yours and that pretty much shows that you are just looking for a connection with someone other than what you have in real life.

I'm sure I probably think whatever music you like sucks. I happen to think that this woman made something I find appealing and I think it took talent to do it. Unless you sing better than she does or make a better musical game review than she has... then you have no room to be so down.

Just say: "I didn't like it."

Enjoy life man. Your life. Go live it.

Abedeus:

Mosstromo:

Compose a song about it.
Record the music.
And post it.

okay Abedeus, I get it the you and other people don't like the videos and i get that you want to comment about that, but comment once!

Don't keep telling everyone that said something good about the video what you think, put all your hate in one comment in which you should explain your opinion and be done with it. There is absolutely no need for you to repeat your opinion.

also there is no need for you to tell people they shouldn't think what they are thinking simply because that you think it differently.

JUST STOP WATCHING THE VIDEOS IF YOU KNOW FROM THE START THAT YOU WON'T LIKE THEM

kozmo:

Abedeus:

Mosstromo:

Compose a song about it.
Record the music.
And post it.

okay Abedeus, I get it the you and other people don't like the videos and i get that you want to comment about that, but comment once!

Don't keep telling everyone that said something good about the video what you think, put all your hate in one comment in which you should explain your opinion and be done with it. There is absolutely no need for you to repeat your opinion.

also there is no need for you to tell people they shouldn't think what they are thinking simply because that you think it differently.

JUST STOP WATCHING THE VIDEOS IF YOU KNOW FROM THE START THAT YOU WON'T LIKE THEM

Who said I know from the start that I won't like them? I might like them, same as I didn't like Apocalypse Lane but then I started to like it when they improved. Rebecca may improve too... though she has been repeating the same thing over and over for the past month and a half.

Also, there is no hate in my post. That's an emotion too strong to waste on someone without much talent.

Abedeus:

kozmo:

Abedeus:

Mosstromo:

Compose a song about it.
Record the music.
And post it.

Who said I know from the start that I won't like them? I might like them, same as I didn't like Apocalypse Lane but then I started to like it when they improved. Rebecca may improve too... though she has been repeating the same thing over and over for the past month and a half.

Also, there is no hate in my post. That's an emotion too strong to waste on someone without much talent.

fair enough, but I still think it was irrelevant for you to say other and other your opinion even after you said everything you had to say. Seriously now,
One comment
Say everything you have to say in that comment rather than responding on things other people say, and saying more facts about your opinion.
and except the fact that other people have different opinions than you

kozmo:

Abedeus:

kozmo:

Abedeus:

Mosstromo:

Compose a song about it.
Record the music.
And post it.

fair enough, but I still think it was irrelevant for you to say other and other your opinion even after you said everything you had to say. Seriously now,
One comment
Say everything you have to say in that comment rather than responding on things other people say, and saying more facts about your opinion.

Except for the fact that everyone is either blind or can't read. And says that she makes WEEKLY videos.

kozmo:

Abedeus:

kozmo:

Abedeus:

Mosstromo:

Compose a song about it.
Record the music.
And post it.

One comment

I think you need to reread his other comments. He already gave reasons to back up his position, such as Mayes being repetitive. I'm inclined to believe that it is more than just opinion.

Abedeus:

kozmo:

Abedeus:

kozmo:

Abedeus:

Mosstromo:

Compose a song about it.
Record the music.
And post it.

One comment

Except for the fact that everyone is either blind or can't read. And says that she makes WEEKLY videos.

So you're saying that any other opinion can not be based on an objective evaluation, because yours is as close as it gets?

I, for one, love the idea, the music and the videos. And that's not because Rebecca is a girl. I grow tired of the same people who tend to generalize an audience by saying: "Ooh, look at that. The nerd community is back on high alert because of Rebecca, lol". I support this a lot and not just because I like it, but because I know from past experiences in this industry that all beginning isn't easy. I think she's doing a great job and honestly: I wouldn't want her to stop. This is fresh and unique in a good way.

She hasn't got one week, but two weeks to prepare a new video. Once again, I'd like to stress: this is not just a matter of creativity! This takes up a huge amount of time to play a game, understand its core, write a song about it, record it and make a video around it accompanied by artistic effects. Then take into account that Rebecca has a social life she has to maintain and also the fact that she's working towards a deadline, every two weeks, which brings a great amount of stress. I can tell.

Don't get me wrong: I respect your opinion. I just don't agree with you on a lot of levels, maybe all of them.

Calling someone blind and illiterate because of their opinion isn't what I call respectfull, by the way.

Joa_Belgium:

Abedeus:

kozmo:

Abedeus:

kozmo:

Abedeus:

Mosstromo:

Compose a song about it.
Record the music.
And post it.

One comment

So you're saying that any other opinion can not be based on an objective evaluation, because yours is as close as it gets?

I, for one, love the idea, the music and the videos. And that's not because Rebecca is a girl. I grow tired of the same people who tend to generalize an audience by saying: "Ooh, look at that. The nerd community is back on high alert because of Rebecca, lol". I support this a lot and not just because I like it, but because I know from past experiences in this industry that all beginning isn't easy. I think she's doing a great job and honestly: I wouldn't want her to stop. This is fresh and unique in a good way.

She hasn't got one week, but two weeks to prepare a new video. Once again, I'd like to stress: this is not just a matter of creativity! This takes up a huge amount of time to play a game, understand its core, write a song about it, record it and make a video around it accompanied by artistic effects. Then take into account that Rebecca has a social life she has to maintain and also the fact that she's working towards a deadline, every two weeks, which brings a great amount of stress. I can tell.

Don't get me wrong: I respect your opinion. I just don't agree with you on a lot of levels, maybe all of them.

Calling someone blind and illiterate because of their opinion isn't what I call respectfull, by the way.

Eh. She has to play the game - wow. Just like about any reviewer.

Understand the game's core? So far, all of the games were simple like a wooden stick. Write a song? Few lines + chorus with 99% same structure, melody as dry and forgetable every week... She even uses very similar LOOPS in a music program, she doesn't even play those instruments.

Also, "blind and illiterate" are people that think this is a weekly series. Read again, more carefully.

Abedeus:

Joa_Belgium:

Abedeus:

kozmo:

Abedeus:

kozmo:

Abedeus:

Mosstromo:

Compose a song about it.
Record the music.
And post it.

One comment

Understand the game's core? So far, all of the games were simple like a wooden stick. Write a song? Few lines + chorus with 99% same structure, melody as dry and forgetable every week... She even uses very similar LOOPS in a music program, she doesn't even play those instruments.

Also, "blind and illiterate" are people that think this is a weekly series. Read again, more carefully.

No one actually cares if she does or doesn't play those instruments, when I watch a video in the escapist I don't think to myself: "wow I hope that they worked like hell to make this video otherwise it won't be good". I think: "was it good?"

If I like it I keep watching the show, if I don't I watch the next episode and decide by that.
To me how hard she worked is not important, what that is important is if it is good. and i think it is.

now unlike you i won't curse you for not thinking the same way as I do, i will just say: i liked it and if you didn't you should consider not watching the next ones

Abedeus:

Joa_Belgium:

Abedeus:

kozmo:

Abedeus:

kozmo:

Abedeus:

Mosstromo:

Compose a song about it.
Record the music.
And post it.

One comment

Well, I have to say that most of the choruses are still stuck in my head. Again, for all the good reasons.

Yes, she plays the games like any other reviewer. But it's not like you play fifteen minutes and feel if it's a good, mediocre or bad game. Or what it's about exactly. It takes time.

She can't always decide what to play and sing, by the way. Most of the time, the website decides for her. Just as they decide for reviewers who test which game. Besides: we haven't really had an excellent summer in gaming. Once the big titles come rolling in, I'm positive that Rebecca will sing about them as well.

My advice to you would be to watch the next one. And if you still don't like it, then I'm positive it just isn't your cup of tea. You've made your point and said that it is too repetitive. It has no additional purpose to keep repeating it every time a new song is released.

Rannos22:

Random argument man:
Better than your last video. I enjoyed it. Don't listen to the haters. They're just jealous of the fact they can't play banjo.

Personnal note for me* 2000 posts already? It feels like I've just sign in recently.

NEITHER CAN SHE! I've grown up watching people play (and occasionally, myself, playing) string instruments, the notes in the song are not the one's she's "playing". It sounds more like she's using some sorta music program. Maybe one of those that Apple is fond of making.

Only reason I watch these, despite the rhythm-less cacophony, is because it is ALMOST catchy and decent, but she uses WAY too many tracks at once. It sounds like she's trying to use as many looping instrument tracks as possible in order to impress everyone or something...

Oh, and she could learn a trick or two from Jonathan Coulton's comedic lyrics. As it stands she's a pretty face with a pretty voice with delusions of musical grandeur, and (if American Idol has taught me anything,) those are a dime a dozen.

That said, I look forward to her next attempt. This idea shows some promise and, if Ms. Mayes can get her artistic head out of her own arse, could eventually become a weekly feature as prominent as Zero Punctuation.

And to those saying how hard it is to get something done in a week, Loading-Ready-Run gets out a relatively decent, comedic short or two out in a week that is of a much greater quality ('cept this one, great editing with the comic panels!) than most of these videos. And they aren't getting paid for any of it!

Uh.. have you considered for a moment that she wasn't trying to play in time with the music? It's fairly common on music videos to show people playing instruments, and not always in time with their own music. Or even pretending to play in time with anything.

On topic, these videos are good. I love how people keep coming in to piss on Rebecca's parade by pretending they know more about music or saying that because they don't like the style, therefore she's untalented. Or even people like Abadeus who seem to have nothing better to do with life than troll internet forums to whinge about things. How many times has he posted in this thread now? It's like he has some kind of vendetta against Rebecca or something and absolutely has to make his opinion known.

I'd like to see them show anything better.

I liked it. Give her some time, but music is all one's own opinion. If you don't like the genre than it's not fair to judge their skill on it. Even if you don't like their songs, you can't.

For example; I don't particularly like the Beatles, but I'll admit that they're awesome musicians.

Abedus, you seem to be in to make sure no one says they like this and gets away with it. What exactly is your goal? I can't be sure though. So you see some things you criticize in the video, and you make sure people get their facts straight about what she does. Or at least, what you think she does, but maybe you have more knowledge in musical instruments, programs and recordings and all that than most.

I like the video, I just did. The song was nice to me. There's not fact or reason behind my liking it, I just did.

If you don't like it, you should've figured it out two episodes ago.

EDIT: We get it, it's a bi-weekly series, if someone hasn't figured that out by now, is it worth your time to tell them? They should figure it out on their own, it's better for them. Stop killing our brains with your facts!

I find all the songs the same and boring. Do we really need this on the escapist, they rarely have anything to do with the games they are about.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here