Unskippable: Metal Gear Solid 4: Part 5

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

You know, that movie would make a great video game. Just a thought.

Anyway, thanks for the past month, guys. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but Im still glad to see new games for a change.

Next week: Zone of the Enders!!

wow... so many mgs haters in this thread...

Enjoyed the month's theme, but I am looking forward to something else....anything else...!

Redingold:

Rigs83:

Redingold:

Rigs83:

Plus you have to hit three buttons to fire your gun!

No you bloody well don't! It's L1 to aim, R1 to fire. Triangle, when pressed, not held, takes you into first person mode, which isn't actually necessary

Yahtzeee lied!!!!

P.S.
You still are hitting three button because holding L1 sends you into aim mode but you have to wiggle the stick, also known as L3 (or was it R3 I haven't played it for a while) to actually aim and then R1 to fire. It's not difficult but feels too much like Resident Evil to me.

Since when was an analogue stick a button? Nobody complains that you have to press three "buttons" to aim down the sights in a COD game, so why bitch about it in MGS4?

Button, stick, L3, carpal tunnel whatever.

Because MGS4 makes you while COD games let you. It may be more accurate and realistic but this is a game where the main character is a clone of a former villain who use to be a hero and the main villain is a seventy year old man who becomes possessed by the arm of another man who died and is the clone of same man who is the hero while another clone became president of the USA and plots to take over the world but his son gets in the way when he is not slipping on bird crap or fighting the le la lu la le and explaining the plot to any of the Metal Gear Solid games after the first one just gives me a headache.

"Make like everyone's bowels... and evacuate."

ITS A URL!

Im hoping others thought this exact thought lol.

So, having never played any Metal Gear games in my entire life, and knowing nothing of the story beforehand (except that Snake ages really fast... for... some reason... yeah, that's all I know, really), I understand absolutely NOTHING from these cutscenes :P

Another good one, liked last weeks better, looking forward to moving onto new games.

And...we go back to the arm puns.

Great episode, though. And a new game would be a great breath of fresh air.

I felt something I haven't felt- Oh, it's just you.
EDIT: Loved it but I'll miss it. It will be refreshing to get some new game scenes.

It will be very refreshing to see something very different next week. Very, very refreshing. Thank you G&P for your effort on this, made for some very funny moments. And now I know not to buy this for the game, but for the movie.

Way to save the best for last!

Anyway lets watch some other game cutscenes...please!

Thank the Gods this BS is over.... you could really tell that Grahm and Paul didnt want to do this game... the material has been subb par all month. Can't wait till next week.

"Please God, let it be a different game." I couldn't have said it better myself.

Great video guys, seriously. I am just DONE with that one however.

"Fate has shackles? Kinky."

swaki:
great one, i was shocked that all you have showed us was nothing more than 1/15 (if that was one third of act one out of 5 it must have been 1/15 YAY simple math)

Personally, I think they're overestimating how much they've shown us. If I remember correctly, the ending (or everything after you stop pressing buttons) consists of:

1. Confirmation that the world isn't royally screwed
2. Meryl's ending (part 1)
3. Raiden's ending
4. Snake's ending (part 1)
5. Meryl's ending (part 2)
6. Credits (part 1)
7. Snake's ending and general plot explanation (part 2)
8. Credits (part 2)
9. After-credits conversation
10. Results screen

This all adds up to at least an hour (I've heard it's closer to 90 minutes). Just think about that. And don't finish the game unless you've got a while to spare!

It doesn't stop me loving the series though!

EDIT: I timed it, it's 75 minutes.

Eruanno:
So, having never played any Metal Gear games in my entire life, and knowing nothing of the story beforehand (except that Snake ages really fast... for... some reason... yeah, that's all I know, really), I understand absolutely NOTHING from these cutscenes :P

Refer to the below post for a quick summary of the story:

Rigs83:

Because MGS4 makes you while COD games let you. It may be more accurate and realistic but this is a game where the main character is a clone of a former villain who use to be a hero and the main villain is a seventy year old man who becomes possessed by the arm of another man who died and is the clone of same man who is the hero while another clone became president of the USA and plots to take over the world but his son gets in the way when he is not slipping on bird crap or fighting the le la lu la le and explaining the plot to any of the Metal Gear Solid games after the first one just gives me a headache.

That "Brothers in Arms" Gag was actually kind of funny! Yeah, act one of five... I just watched the whole game on Youtube, saved myself the few hundred it woulda cost me to get the PS3 alone!

kinda nice plot summary of the 1,2 and 4(in a very simplistic way)

I'm going to miss MGS month

this one was really funny and I love it

I hope G&P had fun because I know I did. I can't wait for next week

I love unskippable

#1 fan of unskippable and MGS games

this whole "Metal Gear August" series was hilarious, and i do love MGS, but even i'm glad it's finally over and we'll be getting to a new game next week. can't wait to see what it is.

"They are brothers in arms." "I would hit you, but that's pretty accurate."

"Naomi, I told Otacon a funny joke about your name three days ago. Still got it."

Absolutely amazing, this is why I keep coming back for this show.

Rigs83:

P.S.
You still are hitting three button because holding L1 sends you into aim mode but you have to wiggle the stick, also known as L3 (or was it R3 I haven't played it for a while) to actually aim and then R1 to fire. It's not difficult but feels too much like Resident Evil to me.

Yeah, but lets be real here. How many games out there have you press a button to aim closely and another button to fire...oh wait, damn near every FPS/TPS...

trust me the cutscenes get longer

hansari:

maddawg IAJI:
And so ends a chapter in Unskipable's history. We bid farewell to the Solid Snake movie and move on to actual cutscenes.

...Till next August :(

Do you wanna count the days or shall I?

HEY EVERYONE:
You gonna be at PAX? Cause we are!
We have a panel too. The "LoadingReadyRun Panel" on Sunday, at Noon.

Come say hi!

I'm not going, so if i say 'hi' here and now, will that count?

Also: Please, God, let it be another game.

Rigs83:
Honestly why does Kojima bother making the games when he just wants to direct movies. Just call it a movie and not ruin it with actual gameplay.

beacose if this would be a movie it would get slamed so hard by critics Kojimas grandchildren would feel the shame

honestly "break free of your faith... fulfill your destiny", it's only in the gaming industry where you can actualy get away with stuff like that

I have a feeling you didn't like it.

ssgt splatter:
How many cutscenes are in this game again? I mean, Christ.

The game is about 20 hours long, which includes about 5 hours of cutscene.

silver scribbler:

I don't think that's what people are getting at, but when a game has a cutscene to gameplay ratio of about 1:1 (guessing from what other people have told me, I have yet to play it myself), something has definitely gone awry in their game design process.

You should probably actually play it then before making statements like this since the game is more of 3:1 ratio of gameplay to cutscene. It's cutscene heavy in act 1 and act 5 since that's the beginning and... end of the game. But there is plenty of gameplay, bossfights, sandboxing, etc. People exaggerate and then the internet and all the xbox goons run with that exaggeration until you have people spouting off nonsense like the game has more cutscene than actual game. It's just not true. Even with all the cutscenes removed the game would still be around 15 hours, which is longer than alot of other games on the market. That doesn't even include all the sandboxy fun you can have just screwing around.

Deathkingo:
i still think that the best part in the game is the loading screens between acts. for those of you who DON'T know, it's just Snake...smoking. And it has fancy hints about what you should do with your time, "maybe you should go outside", but if you wait long enough, it just start spewing out random facts about smoking. I'm not sure if what Hideo did there was incredibly dull, or genius...

This is actually completely untrue, the scene where snake is smoking/spewing random facts is during the game installation (the first time you load the game onto the system). In between chapters there's a really neat interactive psuedo-cutscene where you're onboard Otocon's plane/flying fortress thing and you can either listen to the conversation or screw around with the remote cameras and robots (this is actually how you unlock some of the easter eggs). I'm amazed by how much false info gets thrown around on this forum.

PERFECT! I loved the "I sense something. Something I have nor felt since..." Line, I thought I was the only one that still remembered it

Rigs83:

Redingold:

Rigs83:

Redingold:

Rigs83:

Plus you have to hit three buttons to fire your gun!

No you bloody well don't! It's L1 to aim, R1 to fire. Triangle, when pressed, not held, takes you into first person mode, which isn't actually necessary

Yahtzeee lied!!!!

P.S.

Since when was an analogue stick a button? Nobody complains that you have to press three "buttons" to aim down the sights in a COD game, so why bitch about it in MGS4?

Button, stick, L3, carpal tunnel whatever.

Your long rant has nothing to so do with the fact that the aiming hardly differs from COD. In COD it's L1 to ironsight R1 to fire, In MGS L1 to aim, R1 to fire, triangle is to ironsight. Pressing one extra button never bugged me throughout the whole game, and if really gets to you that much, then you should probably just play something else.

Shoggoth2588:
"Look snake is on the ground for some reason ... probably broke a hip"

Snake: "I finally know what mable ment when she said all senior citizens should have life alert." -or- "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!"

Damn, beaten to the alternate punchline!

Brilliant though.

silver scribbler:

I don't think that's what people are getting at, but when a game has a cutscene to gameplay ratio of about 1:1 (guessing from what other people have told me, I have yet to play it myself), something has definitely gone awry in their game design process.

I thought Ocarina of Time and Call of Duty 4 were actually pieces of crap. I've never played them, but I just assume they're terrible.

OT: Very funny. Its nice to laugh at a game you love every once in awhile.

Armitage Shanks:

silver scribbler:

I thought Ocarina of Time and Call of Duty 4 were actually pieces of crap. I've never played them, but I just assume they're terrible.

OT: Very funny. Its nice to laugh at a game you love every once in awhile.

I think you misunderstood me slightly, although my post did probably come off a bit idiotic. What I meant was I haven't played it all the way through, I've played it a bit, and what I played I actually really enjoyed. All I was really trying to say is I think Hideo Kojima, from what I've heard about the number/length of cutscenes, has gotten a little too story-heavy.

/explanation

Your long rant has nothing to so do with the fact that the aiming hardly differs from COD. In COD it's L1 to ironsight R1 to fire, In MGS L1 to aim, R1 to fire, triangle is to ironsight. Pressing one extra button never bugged me throughout the whole game, and if really gets to you that much, then you should probably just play something else.

And with the fact that MGS also has a unique and awesome CQC system, running and gunning wasn't exactly the main point of the game (of course, still possible and easily done). So complaining about one more button to go into ironsights, which really isn't necessary because the normal aiming is just fine, is silly.

Also, what's with all the people complaining about the cutscenes? There's tons of good game inside MGS. It's not like every other second another cutscenes pops up. Lots of games do random cutscenes that don't really matter at all, like the camera pans to something of some importance (when you could easily find it yourself) and then simply brings you back into the game. Last time I checked, MGS doesn't have any of those. If there's a cutscene, it's important, or has something good to show.

"It you want to escape your fate, fulfil your destiny"

"Lets' make like what I did to all those soldier's bowels...
(close up)
... and Evacuate."

Still... laughing!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook