Review: Batman: Arkham Asylum

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Holy Game-of-the-Year contender, Batman!

Read Full Article

Typo towards the bottom of the first page
Every instead of very

Scarecrow was probably my favorite villain in the Batman mythos, and it's great to see him get fair treatment in Arkham Asylum.

Oh and let's not forget Harley Quinn.

God darn it, stop posting about Batman!! I still have two weeks till PC release :/

they should changed the line to batman has to delve into the deapths of the asylum to breka some faces to help facilitate the healting process!

Nice, Batman song at the end. Were you an Adam West fan?

The Great JT:
Scarecrow was probably my favorite villain in the Batman mythos, and it's great to see him get fair treatment in Arkham Asylum.

Agreed. My auntie said she used to read all the comics and she didnt even know who Scarecrow was and his moments in the game were incredible to say the least and his ending made me laugh my arse off for about half an hour.

Abedeus:
God darn it, stop posting about Batman!! I still have two weeks till PC release :/

And we'll keep posting it because its so good !

This is seriously my favourite game this year and at the moment is third in my all time favourite games behind TimeSplitters 3 and Oblivion.

The stealth was so well done that Masters and Beginners alike could do it incredibly well. And I loved the Inverted Takedown. Fantastic gameplay and Storyline. What more could you ask for really?

Really good review, I'm finding it hard to avoid this game, I really want to play it but I can't spare the money at the moment and it could be a while before my friends at the rental company send it to me.

Torque669:

The Great JT:

Agreed. My auntie said she used to read all the comics and she didnt even know who Scarecrow was and his moments in the game were incredible to say the least and his ending made me laugh my arse off for about half an hour.

Abedeus:

This is seriously my favourite game this year and at the moment is third in my all time favourite games behind TimeSplitters 3 and Oblivion.

The stealth was so well done that Masters and Beginners alike could do it incredibly well. And I loved the Inverted Takedown. Fantastic gameplay and Storyline. What more could you ask for really?

Not having it delayed for something that the demo shows us is A FUCKING LIE? The only "physics" in the entire game is the ragdoll after you get shot and the graphics look like either 2006 or direct copy pasta from a console.

Asehujiko:

Torque669:

The Great JT:

Abedeus:

Not having it delayed for something that the demo shows us is A FUCKING LIE? The only "physics" in the entire game is the ragdoll after you get shot and the graphics look like either 2006 or direct copy pasta from a console.

Why whats it lying about?

Who cares about Physics about from Saints Row 2 and Red Faction Guerilla fanatics.

And the graphics look rather stellar on my 48 inch HD Telly. And maybe it is copy pasta from a console because it was designed for the console. Im still struggling to understand how the controls will work to be quite honest.

I am so excited about this game

So damn exited. Curse my two-week wait for the PC release!

The bit at the end of the video just had me laughing so hard. Pure gold.

Also, saw my friend playing on this and at some parts you hear the enemies neck breaking, yet none of them die? Sure, I guess because It's Batman and all that he deosn't kill people, but paralysing them from the neck down is fine?

Awesome game anyway.

Batman is awesome.

God, all I'm hearing is praise for this game. Microsoft had better get that piece of shit 360 back to me quick.

Catchy Slogan:

Also, saw my friend playing on this and at some parts you hear the enemies neck breaking, yet none of them die? Sure, I guess because It's Batman and all that he deosn't kill people, but paralysing them from the neck down is fine?

Awesome game anyway.

Batman is awesome.

Weirdly enough, yeah I think so. He doesn't kill, thats batman's ONLY rule, which seems a little unnerving.

Catchy Slogan:

Awesome game anyway.

Batman is awesome.

The only breaking I ever heard was legs/arms.

CantFaketheFunk:

Same here.

A great review imho, it catches exactly what makes this game great. I love the atmosphere created by all the small details (audio logs, character biographies) and god, I began to shiver when I entered the morgue the first time. Amazing how well rocksteady put the psychological warfare into this game.

CantFaketheFunk:

Catchy Slogan:

Awesome game anyway.

Batman is awesome.

Spucktier:

CantFaketheFunk:

Same here.

Could have sworn I heard a rather loud snapping noise when he grabbed someones neck, but I guess I'm mistaken on that, considering It's now two against one, and those two actually own the game...

CantFaketheFunk:

Read Full Article

Now I'm very tired so you'll have to forgive me for only watching the video part. I have to disagree with you Funk the stealth sections were probably the best part of the game, stealth has always been Batman's forte I always felt more natural and felt much more interesting than fighting. Of course I always tried never to been seen once (even though that was damn near impossible with the one in the sewer system when your trying to shut down the water pump) and my heart was bumping whenever I near got caught. But I guess that's just me.

Darrkon Fearlock:

CantFaketheFunk:

Read Full Article

Now I'm very tired so you'll have to forgive me for only watching the video part. I have to disagree with you Funk the stealth sections were probably the best part of the game, stealth has always been Batman's forte I always felt more natural and felt much more interesting than fighting. Of course I always tried never to been seen once (even though that was damn near impossible with the one in the sewer system when your trying to shut down the water pump) and my heart was bumping whenever I near got caught. But I guess that's just me.

Both sections were masterful, but where the game really shined in my opinion was the way it seamlessly moved between genres, which is actually one of the reason Challenge Mode was a bit less than fun.

Bruce Wayne will have to buy dinner first.

He could buy you a friggin' resteraunt. With a "funky" theme.

I love this game. Bought in on release, and had to stop myself from playing at 3am. Great atmosphere, great story, great Joker...

I loves the bats out of it.

Catchy Slogan:
Could have sworn I heard a rather loud snapping noise when he grabbed someones neck, but I guess I'm mistaken on that, considering It's now two against one, and those two actually own the game...

He breaks people's necks in the stealth moves, I've noticed in when playing quite a few times. It still usually says unconscious in detective mode though.

It's a great game all around, my main gripe is that detective mode is too handy, so it's too easy to miss all the beautiful art while walking around in detective mode all the time.

The Great JT:

How could we forget.

I still think this is a great line.

A really, really brutal ballet with people getting kicked in the face a lot.

This game is really really good, and you actually feel like you're playing as batman when you're beating up bad guys and when you play all stealthy is the funnest part.

I hate you, John Funk.
I was going to point of out the f*cking Batman thing to great hilarity, but you ruined it for me.

On Topic: The fact that I cannot by any stretch of the imagination picture the Escapist staff taking bribes from Eidos has cemented the harsh fact that I need to get this game.

The Escapist hasn't had Eidos Advertising on the site OR put out an advance review, which sorta kaiboshes any theories of bribery.

You say it like Batman wouldn't pay for dinner. He's a real classy gentleman, he may buy you the restaurant (curse people having said the thing I wanted to say before I said it).
I do agree, while playing through the incredibly helpful, blue filter of Detective Mode I caught myself thinking about how much of the visuals I was missing.

I agree, this game was terrific and a masterpiece, and I reccomend it as well.

Dammit Funk! You need to say "Batman" proudly! That last word in the video supplement was weak.

Other than that I am also impressed by the PC demo but part of me still thinks the melee combat was still overly simple. I had my forward and backward movement on my controller reversed(I couldn't fix it) and melee combat didn't require me to move at all.

The game does look great.

I loved this game however I personally hated the camera angle over batman shoulder and the only way to centre it was to run causing the cape to block out your view. Also detective mood I feel was a little too powerful, maybe include a time limit/meter to it. However that's a lot of nit-picking and didn't really ruin the game in any real way.

It's nice to see what this game looks like before seeing Yahtzee rip it apart XD

I've got the game and I love it. Excellent stealth gameplay and brilliant combat. When you hit someone in combat, it feels like a proper hit, especially in the slow motion shots. Getting a good combo is damn hard though.

Mark Hamill is reprising his role as The Joker? I'm sold.

matrix3509:

As is Kevin Conroy revisiting the role of Batman.

The Great JT:

matrix3509:

As is Kevin Conroy revisiting the role of Batman.

And Arleen Sorkin as Harley, puddin'.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or