Review: Batman: Arkham Asylum

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Hands down one of the best games I've played - and probably the most fun action game I've played in...I can't remember how long.

I hope that more games continue with the combat mechanic. It's so simple, but with it being directional and choreographed so well it's so much fun at the same time.

Kross:

Catchy Slogan:
Could have sworn I heard a rather loud snapping noise when he grabbed someones neck, but I guess I'm mistaken on that, considering It's now two against one, and those two actually own the game...

He breaks people's necks in the stealth moves, I've noticed in when playing quite a few times. It still usually says unconscious in detective mode though.

It's a great game all around, my main gripe is that detective mode is too handy, so it's too easy to miss all the beautiful art while walking around in detective mode all the time.

Does it actually say that they're deceased in Detective Mode after you take them down with the stealth move? I think he might just be applying a sleeper hold. A pinch on the carotid artery with enough pressure can actually be very quick and sometimes instantaneously incapacitating.

I'm having entirely too much fun with the demo while waiting for the PC version. I keep trying different ways to do the last room in it where there are a few guys with guns and you're able to sneak around it on the gargoyles. Haven't yet done it without using the gargoyles, but that's probably what I'll try next. Either that or I'm going to see if I can get the guys scared enough that they'll shoot each other by mistake.

The Youth Counselor:

Kross:

Catchy Slogan:
Could have sworn I heard a rather loud snapping noise when he grabbed someones neck, but I guess I'm mistaken on that, considering It's now two against one, and those two actually own the game...

He breaks people's necks in the stealth moves, I've noticed in when playing quite a few times. It still usually says unconscious in detective mode though.

It's a great game all around, my main gripe is that detective mode is too handy, so it's too easy to miss all the beautiful art while walking around in detective mode all the time.

Does it actually say that they're deceased in Detective Mode after you take them down with the stealth move? I think he might just be applying a sleeper hold. A pinch on the carotid artery with enough pressure can actually be very quick and sometimes instantaneously incapacitating.

From what I could tell, it only says deceased on guards the enemies kill. The neck definitely makes a sharp *crack* sound in the stealth holds though. It's nothing important, but it's definitely there. ;)

I pre-ordered the collectors edition and it was totally worth it. The extra stuff is great, and the game itself is amazing. It's one of those single player games with a reasonably short story that you could still sink weeks, if not months into. I haven't played anything else since I got it.
Nice comparison between the combat and a ballet =)

I clocked at about 17 and a half hours playing first time through on Normal, obsessively getting all the pickups. Thats not counting the hours more I spent on those challenge maps. The Challenge maps will LITERALLY challenge you, not just hitting you with impossible goals or trumped difficulty but forcing you to learn game mechanics you wouldn't have even used in the normal game. I had no idea you could string the battarang or the claw into combo's, or the leap n hit counted as a special move.

When you can beat those last extreme trials, you will definably be an expert.

PS: I think they were sleeper holds, I never saw any neck snapping. There was ALOT of cock-punches though. And groin tasering.

TsunamiWombat:

PS: I think they were sleeper holds, I never saw any neck snapping. There was ALOT of cock-punches though. And groin tasering.

What did you expect? He's the god-damned Batman!
:)

Kross:

The Youth Counselor:

Kross:

Catchy Slogan:

From what I could tell, it only says deceased on guards the enemies kill. The neck definitely makes a sharp *crack* sound in the stealth holds though. It's nothing important, but it's definitely there. ;)

I checked in detective mode, they're definitely still alive.

How some of the people survive is ludicrous though. An example that comes to mind is a patient who is hanging on for dear life on a rope and the nearest footing is at least two stories tall. You need to cut him down, wherein he will fall through a concrete ceiling into a room full of Joker toxin. Yet when you reach his ragdoll, it still says unconscious despite, the fall through both the ceiling and floor and breathing in all that toxin for an indefinite amount of time.

(It would have been more realistic for Batman to administer the anti-venom to him.)

And I will never know how someone is able to get up after being pierced by a bat claw, or having an explosion go off next to their head right after enough plastique is detonated to punch through concrete. But this is the DC Universe after all, so it's not too much of a stretch to believe that they could have superpowers of their own.

PS: I wanted to replay some parts so I go through the menu. WTF? There are limited save points and no chapter selections or cinematic play-list! That should be a feature in EVERY game!

I must say it does look awesome, played the demo and loved every second of it. But what about length and replay value? Im moving into Uni around release so i really need to watch my money.

The gargoyles drove me crazy ><
Show of hands. How many of you have seen stone gargoyles INSIDE of a building?
Hm?
Hm?
Yeah, I thought so.

It just seems like a heavy-handed way of going HAY YOU CAN GRAPPLE ONTO THIS. Because, yknow, the glowing orange dots going HAY YOU CAN GRAPPLE ONTO THIS and the voice of Kevin Conroy going HAY YOU CAN GRAPPLE ONTO THIS and the oracle telling you HAY BTW YOU SHOULD FIND SOMETHING GARGOYLE-SHAPED TO GRAPPLE ONTO MAYBE clearly are not enough clues to work off of.

The detective sense bothered me too. Remember your favorite episode of the Batman cartoon, wherein the caped crusader would be pitted against some deadly foe with a cryptic past, but it was okay because he had a pair of magic goggles that did everything for him?
Yeah, me too.

Also: the amount of time I was forced to spend in ventilation ducts is...dare I say it...BAT SHIT INSANE.

Ha. Ha ha.

Other than those few small things, though, the game was pretty brilliant.

Nice one Funk, love the bat-theme at the end.

Only thing is the NPCs are a bit blind. Like something will happen literally right beside them and they won't notice. developers didn't take peripheral vision into account at all, but other than that the best game since devil may cry 3 and gears of war 2

Sweet Jesus game of the year for me!
The Scarecrow sections are just so amazingly jizz worthy it's untrue!

I have a PC, and only a PC, so it should be known that I hate all of you that own this game until the 15th. Then I shall embrace you as brothers...after I beat the game...twice.

I just beat the game yesterday, I was taking my time with it because it's so freaking awsome!It got me watching the old cartoon again. Heck, I want to play it now. The atmosphere and everything is just so well done. It's short and the supervillain fights aren't exactly the most thrilling...however, they are all different, I never felt like I was doing the same thing again (except maybe for Bane.) I loved the Scarecrow bits the most, and he's not even my favorite villain. It's just an awsome, awsome game!

The_root_of_all_evil:

The Great JT:

matrix3509:
Mark Hamill is reprising his role as The Joker? I'm sold.

As is Kevin Conroy revisiting the role of Batman.

And Arleen Sorkin as Harley, puddin'.

I'm also glad they got smart and invested in the original voice cast instead of a bunch of sound-a-likes.

My only problems with this game are... a side from an incredible graphic upgrade; It's pretty much the same game we played back in the old "Game Cube" days...

mixed with a bit of Spider-man (come on "detective sense"?!).

The combat controls remind me of "Rise to Honor" and "Alias" except all your best moves DON'T hit air.

I CAN honestly say that the ONE major redeeming feature is the fact that you can play as the Joker!

Who is without a doubt, the BEST villain in DC history!

Finally got it yesterday and I'm about half way through.

This game is a fucking masterpiece.

Everything in it works so seamlessly well. The mechanics are flawless and every gameplay style just feels fun and fluid.

The crew are obviously huge fans of the mythology, the backstories and character bios are great..

The graphics, lighting and environments are utterly astounding. It looks better than Gears 2 for chrissakes. I've jumped off the high tower about 20 times now and it's still not getting old...

The combat is fun, the story is perfect...

We have a game to give MW2 a run for its money in the end of year polls...

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here