Zero Punctuation: Tales of Monkey Island

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

The Irish accent was spectacular. Also, I'd love to check out the first 2 Monkey Island games but it seems that to do that I would also have to get my hand on an old and obscure games machine. Perhaps I'll look them up in a few years when I can better afford it.

I found this review stereotypical and slightly racist.
Yahtzee, you can do better than that

I don't get why people do the whole first thing, I look at the comments section on every video every week (although I don't often post unless I really feel like I have some thing to post that is relevant) and I see people post first or complimenting the movie seconds after the video as been posted, now I have some talents but I even I can't watch a five minute video all the way through and post a review of it ten seconds after it's been posted, I also notice that these people get Banned for it... but the question is if some one could quickly fill me in... why are they doing it??, do these people get a kick out of creating a new account every week just for it to be disabled just to say first??... just seems a little sad to be honest... maybe these people should get lives... tad Ironic coming from a guy who's first thing he does after getting home from training on a Wednesday is watch the latest review while running the bath in :)

Also like a good few of you I was sort of hoping for the Batman review this week, ho well this review was good, not played the game so I can't offer my analysis but well I don't watch these movie's to make my mind up on a game, I watch them because there good fun.

I want to say firstly I hate that Hollywood style Irish accent. I have never heard anyone in Ireland speak like that at all. The only thing that was redeemable was unlike most people outside of Ireland you actually know its history so I guess I can respect you for that much, but then you throw in the guinness and the potatoes and the wife beating. 1)Not everyone in Ireland loves guinness (I am Irish and I hate the stuff) 2)So Irish people only had mostly potatoes to eat for a while, why do people keep trying to make jokes about that? 3) The wife beating all I can say is what?

Yahtzee I respect you but this is a low point for you.

Well jaysus and begorrah, Yahtzee can do a better Irish accent than me, and I'm from the arse-end of rural Ireland! Ah well, 'tis no problem, to be sure, to be sure.
Ahem, sorry about that. I quite liked the review, and might actually try out the old Monkey Island series. Am I the only one who has slightly mixed feelings regarding the resurgence of 90's-style adventure games on the PC?

supremeaaron:
I want to say firstly I hate that Hollywood style Irish accent. I have never heard anyone in Ireland speak like that at all. The only thing that was redeemable was unlike most people outside of Ireland you actually know its history so I guess I can respect you for that much, but then you throw in the guinness and the potatoes and the wife beating. 1)Not everyone in Ireland loves guinness (I am Irish and I hate the stuff) 2)So Irish people only had mostly potatoes to eat for a while, why do people keep trying to make jokes about that? 3) The wife beating all I can say is what?

Yahtzee I respect you but this is a low point for you.

Dude, I think you're taking this a little too seriously. He's taking the mick (har har) out of the stereotypical Irishman depicted in the media, so it's not like he's gravely insulting us.

It wasn't only the accent, it was the context of the accent. I actually wee'd a little. Just a blip.

miracleofsound:

Ois:
i cant believe he knows about the rose of tralee.

I know... my missus laughed at that because she was only watching the Rose of Tralee last week.

People need to relax and not be offended by the accent... it's a joke.

Then again, we do drink a lot of Guinness here...

and we have leprachauns

and pots of gold...

come give us your dolla's, American tourists...

No, dont tell them about the pots of gold.

And dont forget to drink your Guinness on the 24th ;)

nice 1.you should review dead rising next. you could run that game into the ground and then some

FloodOne:
I was half expecting Batman to be reviewed this week.

Also, you turds that post "first" should be banned.

like me yahtzee lives in australia and apparently it takes 2 months to be able to ships the games over here... sigh

pretty poor review if you ask me, instead of the usual humor he had to ramble in a poor accent to try and disguise the fact he had very little real humor that wasnt about bodily functions. anyone else feel yahtzees losing his touch as of late?

dunnace:

williebaz:
keep reviewing all these minor XBLA games.

It's a PC game. And a Wii game. Well, more a cruel taunting joke to the Wii, trying to play it on the Wii is akin to playing Half Life 2 on a laptop, technically it's going to work, but you won't enjoy it and the experience will be forever ruined for you.

What's wrong with a laptop? I played HL2 on a laptop and it worked great.

Farson89:
The Irish accent was spectacular. Also, I'd love to check out the first 2 Monkey Island games but it seems that to do that I would also have to get my hand on an old and obscure games machine. Perhaps I'll look them up in a few years when I can better afford it.

No, you don't. Use ScummVM to emulate SCUMM, and play all the SCUMM classics.

Damn good episode, what's with all the people posting before it was released and getting suspended/put on probation? Never seen that before...

Surprised he didn't do Arkham Asylum.

Excellent Irish accent, Yahtzee. Probably much better than I could do myself, to the shame of my Irish ancestors (and the mocking and jeering of all my other ancestors).

Anyway this video was good, although it's odd how often Yahtzee reviews games in series that he's reviewed before when he's said at least once that he wouldn't. I suppose that he couldn't avoid multiple games over one series what with the weird release schedules of games. And his even more weird standards.

PLEASE NEVER TRY AND DO ANOTHER ACCENT EVER AGAIN!! YOUR'S IS JUST FINE! Also the accent made it had to tell what was going on.

I hardly understood anything. Any chance for subtitles, or slightly slower talk?

Also, I'd like to see some review for some actually interesting game... Or any game, for that matter, not retro-reviews etc.

I would love to hear the Scottish accent. However, the Irish one needs work. Probably should have had a couple of drinks before you did that part. It would have made the accent sound more natural. Irish never sound 100% sober. Good show as always. Keep up the great work Yahtzee!

I have to admit, I had lost faith in ZP, and it is now restored.

I was lost but now I am found.

I really enjoyed the Irish accent, it seemed like doing the accent made him think it gave him the right to make fun of the Irish. That sounds like sound logic to me.

Irish accent>>>>>South African Accent

Heh! Er... I... Ummm... is it just me or is admin going a little Gallagher-crazy with the ban-hammer? Or should I say 'probation and/or suspension hammer? Hardly rolls of the tongue, say I!
Either way, it just seems a little odd that there are 12 probation tags and 2 full-on suspensions on the first smegging page!
...I'm going to get hammered for this observation of net tyranny, aren't I?

Undead Dragon King:
+2 internets if you can guess the "Protestants" reference!

Father Anderson?

Vargas19:
Weird, I was expecting Batman: Arkham Asylum today.

Seriously! I have the feeling he is avoiding it until it comes out on PC. That or he wants to finish it first, I have no idea.

Wait a second. How does Yahtzee figure that there weren't supposed to be any more games after Monkey Island 2? Was he playing a different game than the one I played? Seriously, if you haven't played it, take a look at this and you'll see what I mean--they left it wide open for a sequel. If anything, he should have bitched about the fact that Monkey Island 3 flatly ignored the end of MI2 (but I still think it was a decent game despite that). And as others have noted, the fact that so many of the original creators are currently working on ToMI sort of shoots his fan-wank theory to hell. (Plus, to all the Wii-haters, I know I'm a dangerous mutant and all, but I didn't find the Wii controls all that hard to get used to; I've certainly played worse.)

But it was still funny as hell. :P

Yay for racism and family abuse, I wish the Irish daddy had abused his children as well as his wife (a bit more accurate) very well done as always <3
(Im not being racist, I speak from experience)

My god, that accent. I didn't really think he would do it. I seriously about fell out of my chair laughing. Well done, an entertainer as always.

As for the new monkey island games, yeah, it will never be as good as the originals.

Jibblejab:
ZP seems to be in a bit of a slump at the minute with Yahtzee avoiding games that we have heard of and going for completely random minor games that no one gives a toss about... Your Welcome

He's an Aussie. They rarely get good games.

That made me laugh , hats off to you Yahtzee

From the sound of the review I think he actually has been enjoying tales so far. That might just be me projecting since I love it and think that it stands up against the first two games as a solid contender. While the puzzles are mostly fairly straight forward the results are still extremely amusing, and the dialog is top rate. Sure, Guybrush is somewhat competent now, but I would expect that after becoming one of the most skilled insult sword fighters in the world, captaining multiple ships and getting out of countless scrapes and close calls, not to mention holding my breath for ten minutes.

Then again I'm the kind of person who loves having jokes that reference the old games. So I cracked up when he started humming from MI2 just like I loved it when in MI3 when a pirate mentioned being haunted by the original theme. Speaking of which I just started humming it...

I wonder if he will do Arkham Asylum. It's being praised by all major gaming magazines and shows. Since he did enjoy Spiderman 2 game, maybe he will give Batman a shoot? I know it's DC not marvel, but I really think this game has broken the superhero game mold.

If Yahzee has steam, he could just download Batman: Arkham Asylum on his PC.

Like many I enjoyed the original games. I have them on my homebrew wii using the Scumm engine and more than any other game, enjoy going back to them.

The new ones I will wait for though. I doubt they'll have the same charm.

I thought this was a very good review

This was surprising at how he reviews this game. Funny how the game was made by ex-Lucasarts employees and Ron Gilbert.

But nowadays there is never a perfect game. From what I figure there never was one.

hey, i have that cat shaped pencil sharpener! minus the moustache, of course. ;)

Long time watcher, first time poster.

Maybe it's because I'm a stoned-ass American, but I got lost in this one. Deciphering an Irish accent on top of an Australian at a thousand miles an hour is way over my head. Took me like 20 seconds to realize he wasn't doing it anymore.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here