Escape to the Movies: Gamer

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Gamer

This week MovieBob tells you if 'Gamer' trashes its namesake.

Watch Video

is the teabag thing realy of any value? do we really have any use of it or is it just the highpoint since the rest of the movie sucks? anyway, great review as always bob

Huh so it's just another generic action movie.

I might rent it just to check it out.

Just as I suspected, it sucks.

Good review.

I might go see it now i thought it was going to be a propaganda film. but the silent hill movie good?

Bob... did you just reference "Blood: The Last Vampire" in that review?

...And you haven't reviewed "Ponyo" yet because...?

Huh. This thing still looks pretty good.

I would say Gerard did a pretty awesome job in Rock 'n' Rolla, so for me that's even better than 300.

I almost want to see it just to see the teabagging moment. I bet it'll be worth a chuckle or two.

I figured It'd have an interesting premise but still be just another action movie.
I was right.
I want to see the 2nd life hating though.

netflix maybe.

i could listen to him say "Sparta!!!!" all day.

Sounds remarkably like the remake of Deathrace, minus Jason Statham. So, good enough for watching on cable, but not good enough for the theater. Good to know.

Oh, and sorry, but Silent Hill sucked, too. Some marvelous eye candy in it, but overall, it was just straight shite.

lordlee:

hell with Ponyo, i wanna see him rip into Tyler Perry's ass next week.

seriously Moviebob, you've expressed your total hatred for Perry before, but i want the full story. you're clearly capable of filling a segment with nothing but beating the hell out of the "loathsome hack" in question, and i think we'd all like to hear it. don't just leave us with the tease from last week, we wanna see blood.

Well, I'm disappointed that this turned out to be a bad film, but I am relieved to hear that MovieBob actually likes the Crank movies; that made my day :)

stickmangrit:

lordlee:

hell with Ponyo, i wanna see him rip into Tyler Perry's ass next week.

seriously Moviebob, you've expressed your total hatred for Perry before, but i want the full story. you're clearly capable of filling a segment with nothing but beating the hell out of the "loathsome hack" in question, and i think we'd all like to hear it. don't just leave us with the tease from last week, we wanna see blood.

We're all aware of Tyler Perry's lack of talent, let's see Moviebob's thoughts on Miyazaki's latest (unless there's a new one out in Japan I don't know about) creation.

Funnily enough, when I first saw the commercials my first thought was, "That looks like an updated Running Man."

Yeah, I'll be skipping it, especially if it holds little promise of being any better than that pile of bile that they spewed out just to give Schwarzenegger another role. I still need to go see Inglorious Basterds anyway.

Eagi:
I would say Gerard did a pretty awesome job in Rock 'n' Rolla, so for me that's even better than 300.

I was going to pop in to say just that, except 300 is better in my opinion. Gerard Butler is actually becoming one of my favorite actors. Although I think he probably needs to start slowing down and pick the movies he does more carefully, definitely avoid another "Gamer" type movie.

Why the hell would I skip a Running Man remake? Especailly if made by the duo that created the Crank series? If you liked the crank series and didn't care about the gaping holes in that story, you going to love this one.

I really look forward to these reviews now, good job man.

Was hoping for this to be good, but I geuss not. I'll check this out on DVD.

As far as crappy-knockoff-movies-of-crappy-knockoff-video-games are concerned, I think a passing mention of Hitman wouldn't've have hurt; that one pretty much epitomizes this whole syndrome: take a good movie, make a middling videogame, and turn it into a truly awful film adaptation. They won't be able to make good movies based on video games until video games start having good, not-stolen storylines.
Meh, I still think a Halo movie could be good. I'm eager to be proven wrong, though, if it means they finally make the damn thing.

You spelt parallel wrong. Sorry, just felt I had to nitpick about something.

I do wonder if Gerard "That guy from 300" Butler will ever be able to shake off what that film did...

I thought The Hitman movie was pretty good. It lacked killing people with a poison filled syringe while dressed as a giant chicken scene but otherwise they did a decent job.

The Big Eye:
until video games start having good, not-stolen storylines.

Gotta say, I liked the concept of Gamer, but at least it's not one of those stupid games with an anti-gamer message or one of those god-awful hellspawn movie tie-in of a video game like the Mortal Kombat movies or Street Fighter.

This coming from a guy who enjoyed the Super Mario Bros. movie.

EDIT: TYLER PERRY MUST DIE!!

Hm. Gamer has a good concept but pretty much filled with action scenes.

Personally, I like Grandma's Boy.

Sorority Row next week Bob? :)

As for the movie...I really want to believe you...but Michael C Hall? How can Dexter be all bad?

I was kinda hoping Michael C.Hall would save this film with his awesome acting...

Ok, deviating from the point some-what, but am I the only one who thinks it'd be totally worth paying money to see Will Smith play Link in a Legend of Zelda movie?

(Of course I'm also one of those guys that saw the "joe loves crappy movies" comic about Captain America and seriously thinks that Will Smith would also be hilarious in that role too.)

disclaimer: Not real movies mind, maybe just joke movies, like Snakes on a Plane.

lordlee:

Because time and space are finite, basically ;)

All kidding aside, I did really like "Ponyo." Miyazaki is always in rare form when he's on the "movie that probably makes more sense to a six-year-old" kick; though I do think that the attempt to hold to the rough narrative-structure of Andersen's "Little Mermaid" stifles him a bit in the third act. I will say that the "ocean storm" sequence is easily an instant career-highlight for him, and that Ponyo herself is just about the most 'real' seeming child character - animated or otherwise - I can remember seeing recently. On the technical side, the fact that the characters, especially Ponyo when she's a "fish," seem to have so much physical WEIGHT to them is really startling in hand-drawn animation - the amount of patience that must go into that blows my mind.

I should preface by saying I saw the English version, and would offer in that specific regard only that Liam Neeson was either miscast or not properly-appraised of his character prior to recording, and his distinctive brogue calls undue attention to the english-speaking-actors-casually-pronouncing-Japanese-nouns issue that isn't as much of a problem for everyone else.

O wow! i movie where video games merge with real life! we havent seen that a million times already.
/sarcasm

MovieBob: Watch movie AVALON from year 2001 and from director Oshii. Truth will be there...

nuts... I was hoping this would be good.

Yeah...I saw that this was going to suck from a mile away. I knew that it was going to blow when I first saw the trailer in theaters months ago. Great review as always bob.

Oh and as for a good video game to movie idea Hollywood, what part of "Sonic Satam: The Movie" don't you understand, watch the DVD box set, it writes itself. Heck hire Ben Hurst to write the screenplay and get the cast of the show on board.

whos was the first "Link" that he showed?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here