The Pocket Gamer Report: Grand Theft Hardcore

The Pocket Gamer Report: Grand Theft Hardcore

Will GTA: Chinatown Wars lead the way for big franchise IPs on handhelds?

Read Full Article

There's a reason why GTA chinatown wars didn't sell many copies.
Pirated copies, and if you don't believe me then look it up, you can download ds games it seems and I frown upon it >:(

freebiewitz:
Pirated copies, and if you don't believe me then look it up, you can download ds games it seems and I frown upon it >:(

R4.

But even then, I have R4 (because I don't like carrying a lot of cartridges around me - experience from GBA and GBC usage...) and I didn't download the game. Reason is quite simple:

Why bother? I have GTA San Andreas or Vice City or GTA IV and I can play them with:

1. Better graphics.
2. Better controls.
3. Better sound.
4. Better multiplayer (GTA IV, at least, and mods to previous games).
5. Higher resolution ;d

Seriously, I love my DS, but I borrowed Metroid Prime from my friend and after 30 minutes of stylus-in-3D, I had a horrible headacke. And I'm not the type to get headackes from playing games, believe me.

No. The reason GTA Chinatown wars didn't sell well was because it SUCKED.

It was Nintendo once again trying to force it's stupid stylus into more games, which it did horribly. It was also Rockstar games whoring out a franchise.

Say what you will. It is the worst installment in the entire GTA series.

Abedeus:

freebiewitz:

R4.

But even then, I have R4 (because I don't like carrying a lot of cartridges around me - experience from GBA and GBC usage...) and I didn't download the game. Reason is quite simple:

Why bother? I have GTA San Andreas or Vice City or GTA IV and I can play them with:

1. Better graphics.
2. Better controls.
3. Better sound.
4. Better multiplayer (GTA IV, at least, and mods to previous games).
5. Higher resolution ;d

Seriously, I love my DS, but I borrowed Metroid Prime from my friend and after 30 minutes of stylus-in-3D, I had a horrible headacke. And I'm not the type to get headackes from playing games, believe me.

And no MGS henchmen syndrome

Pendragon9:

It was Nintendo once again trying to force it's stupid stylus into more games, which it did horribly. It was also Rockstar games whoring out a franchise.

Question: Did you play it?

AceDiamond:

Pendragon9:

The better question is: "Can you play it with all the flawed controls?"

No, I haven't gotten my hands on it, but I haven't exactly stayed in the dark about it. First off, the top down perspective does NOT work on the DS. It was a bit less annoying on the PS1, but at least they didn't have me trying to unscrew crap with the stylus and trying to make a hundred other things work. Not to mention how boring it made drug trafficking feel. Many a let's play on Youtube couldn't get me interested in it. Why couldn't they do it third person? What was wrong with that? But no, it's confusing being up in the sky looking down at an angle at your character. And I'm familiar with the DS controls. That would get confusing quickly.

That's why I'm happy I don't own it, and I'm happy I didn't recommend it to my pal with a DS, and I can tell you I'm avoiding the port to the PSP completely.

Oh, and before you tell me I'm wrong for having an opinion different from yours, please bear in mind this is all in my own opinion, as is my previous. Those are all my own thoughts and if you wanna disagree, then fine. But I refuse to play that damn game.

I loved it. The controls weren't bad.

freebiewitz:

Yes. That is the only reason it didn't sell.

I can think of no other reasons at all.

Piracy is the cause of all problems in the video game world.

There can be no better more logical answer that would show a concrete understanding of reality.

Pendragon9:

AceDiamond:

The better question is: "Can you play it with all the flawed controls?"

No, I haven't gotten my hands on it, but I haven't exactly stayed in the dark about it. First off, the top down perspective does NOT work on the DS. It was a bit less annoying on the PS1, but at least they didn't have me trying to unscrew crap with the stylus and trying to make a hundred other things work. Not to mention how boring it made drug trafficking feel. Many a let's play on Youtube couldn't get me interested in it. Why couldn't they do it third person? What was wrong with that? But no, it's confusing being up in the sky looking down at an angle at your character. And I'm familiar with the DS controls. That would get confusing quickly.

That's why I'm happy I don't own it, and I'm happy I didn't recommend it to my pal with a DS, and I can tell you I'm avoiding the port to the PSP completely.

Oh, and before you tell me I'm wrong for having an opinion different from yours, please bear in mind this is all in my own opinion, as is my previous. Those are all my own thoughts and if you wanna disagree, then fine. But I refuse to play that damn game.

No the better question is: "Did you play it?" Because see your statement sounded like you had played the game, when in fact, as I figured, you didn't. Which means you're merely conjecturing. And saying really outlandish things like:

Pendragon9:

As if you sat there in a Nintendo board meeting and heard that. Which is really funny seeing as how Mario Kart DS, the top-selling DS game of all time, has barely any stylus use at all. And who made Mario Kart DS? Nintendo. So what's this about Nintendo "forcing" people to use the stylus, hmmmm? More than 50% of my DS library has games which use the stylus as an optional control schematic or don't use it at all. It is not mandatory and it never has been, so stop pretending like that was the reason.

Furthermore I, having actually played the game and having the dexterity to hold a stylus like a chopstick while playing, found very little to complain about with the touchscreen controls. Sure some of it was overdone but it wasn't like it made me throw my DS in frustration. If anything the problems with GTA: Chinatown Wars was the fact it was way too short and the fact that it is pretty hard to convince people 3D in any form works really well on the DS even when it does. Plus Chinatown Wars didn't have the balls-to-the-wall ad campaigns the other GTA installments have had, so unless you spend way too much time on the Internet odds were you might not know about it. Granted I cannot confirm what really contributed to the lack of sales, maybe the DS's demographic is too young for it, but whatever. The point stands that the controls are flawed if you are doing it wrong. And since I have nearly 20 years of gaming experience under my belt, I tend to think a lot of people do it wrong.

And if a top-down perspective is really confusing for you I guess you don't play many RTS games or many games in the 3rd person before 1998. You know what was really confusing? Trying to play Liberty City Stories with an analog nub. Yeah I said it. Why? Because I actually played that game a lot and got tired of it because of the control problems. Course I also got tired of my brother's PSP needing a recharge after every 2 missions but oh well we can't all figure out how to get 10 hours of battery life out of a handheld (hint: don't make a handheld with a disc drive)

Quite simply, I have every reason to call bull on your opinion because you are attempting to distort how much you have actually played the game (not at all) and forming opinions from secondhand and often biased "evidence"

AceDiamond:
snip

Lemme say something about the last part of your post.

It is true top down perspectives work in RTS games and third person shooters.

The problem is that Chinatown wars is in NEITHER GENRE. THUS IS CANNOT MAKE IT WORK. It's some freaky fourth person shooter who's in the sky taping everything.

Also, it appears you're attacking my opinion because I don't like the stylus. Well, too bad. I still don't like it. I've played ten different games with that damn stylus (Spectrobes, Pokemon Pearl, etc) and sometimes it just didn't work.

So go on. You can tell me I'm full of crap all you want. My point still stands. The game just was not meant for the DS. Hell, I'm sure GTA isn't meant for portables period. YOU YOURSELF said the analog nub didn't work for Liberty City stories. So that only supports it. You need full console or PC controls for the game to work right. (and before you say anything, I've played with the analog nub on the PSP. In my opinion, it's easy to use.So maybe our opinions are different? Gee, sounds like a possibility)

Of course, since I've seen your posts lately and you like to do nothing more than argue and tell people they're wrong, I can almost guess what how you'll respond to me. So please. Be my guest.

And it's funny how you took the opportunity to tell me how retarded I am for berating the DS, when you suddenly go on a tangent for telling me how retarded thePSP is, and how a disk drive is stupid and how the battery life is too short. Nevermind how offtopic that was, you basically contradicted yourself.

Pendragon9:

AceDiamond:
snip

Lemme say something about the last part of your post.

It is true top down perspectives work in RTS games and third person shooters.

The problem is that Chinatown wars is in NEITHER GENRE. THUS IS CANNOT MAKE IT WORK. It's some freaky fourth person shooter who's in the sky taping everything.

Also, it appears you're attacking my opinion because I don't like the stylus. Well, too bad. I still don't like it. I've played ten different games with that damn stylus (Spectrobes, Pokemon Pearl, etc) and sometimes it just didn't work.

So go on. You can tell me I'm full of crap all you want. My point still stands. The game just was not meant for the DS. Hell, I'm sure GTA isn't meant for portables period. YOU YOURSELF said the analog nub didn't work for Liberty City stories. So that only supports it. You need full console or PC controls for the game to work right. (and before you say anything, I've played with the analog nub on the PSP. In my opinion, it's easy to use.So maybe our opinions are different? Gee, sounds like a possibility)

Of course, since I've seen your posts lately and you like to do nothing more than argue and tell people they're wrong, I can almost guess what how you'll respond to me. So please. Be my guest.

And it's funny how you took the opportunity to tell me how retarded I am for berating the DS, when you suddenly go on a tangent for telling me how retarded thePSP is, and how a disk drive is stupid and how the battery life is too short. Nevermind how offtopic that was, you basically contradicted yourself.

Actually I'm berating you for lying about what Nintendo asks out of the people developing for the DS and berating you for insinuating you had firsthand knowledge about the game. Wheras you're berating me for mocking Sony for having a handheld with bad battery life. Which I think is perfectly fair.

Also if the top-down GTA perspective didn't work we wouldn't have GTA III and beyond because GTA 1 and 2 never would've happened. And if it didn't work on portables I doubt the two "stories" GTA games wouldn't have sold well on the PSP, which I believe they did.

Personally I don't care if you don't like the stylus, I just care about the fact that you're being misleading and, quite frankly, a fanboy. I asked you point-blank if you played the game and you couldn't even say yes or no, instead trying to spin your answer as if this were a political debate.

Want me to put this real simple, without all the hyperbole I put into my posts? Here it is: "You didn't play it, stop acting like you did, and sit down. You don't have knowledge of what the criteria for a DS game to get published is, so stop acting like you do, and sit down."

AceDiamond:
snip

I've read many a review of the game and watched the inner mechanics of it on youtube. yes, it isn't firsthand knowledge, but I'm not blindly stabbing in the dark. Also, I don't believe I ever actually said I played it. I looked at my own post, and nope. Nowhere do I insinuate such. I have quite a good knowledge of it though, and I know how annoying the DS's stylus is. If anything, I'm attacking the concept. I've played Grand Theft Auto and I've played on the DS. I cannot put both together, especially from what I've seen. And I happen to see alot of crud games on the DS with very bad stylus delivery. So I will not shut up, as you seem to want.

And for the last part of your post. NO. NO. and what's the word? NO.

I have an opinion. I have a right to it. And you seem to have a problem with that. So why don't you sit down and cool your "fanboy alert". This is the internet, and you're gonna run across alot of people who have different opinions.

Even though I felt GTA: Chinatown wars sucked, I never told you you were an idiot for liking it. I was respecting your opinion. But I see you do not like to throw some of that respect back this way.

And if I cannot criticize the DS for the stylus being hard to work with, then why are you defending your position to criticize the PSP for a short battery life? It's shorter than the DS, but I for one don't mind it. It lasts pretty long if you take good care of it.

If anything, that is the sign of a fanboy.

So go on. Tell me I'm not allowed to not like GTA: Chinatown Wars or say it sucked. Because that's all I'm hearing.

You telling me to sit down is basically your way of saying "I don't have anything to say, but I want you to shut up because I'm right and you're wrong."

Now please just let this go. We really don't need to start an argument when I was simply making an opinion.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here