Review: Champions Online

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Review: Champions Online

With great customization comes great complexity.

Read Full Article

Glad to see an objective review. I agree with pretty much everything you said... but you didn't mention one thing:

Either they fixed it after few months of CB and OB, or you were lucky to NOT have ridiculous amounts of FPS issues and staggering. I've heard they fixed it, but I'm giving the game another month or two to fix bugs.

Other than that - you can be anything you want, everyone you have ever dreamed off... But if it's copywrited (either name or costume, or story as in some cases it might be), prepare to face the Banhammer of Protectron.

interesting i was thinking about trying this because it sounded great. It still does actually but i think i'll wait sometime.

Wow, sounds like the connection issues didn't make your game unplayable at points (if it's as frequent as it is for me, you would have mentioned it, I'm certain...). You lucky American sod, you. It's worth pointing out that, seeing as the servers are stateside, us poor sods in Europe get shite connection and a bunch of people correcting you when you log on and say "Good afternnon" without adding "for those of us playing GMT!"

It's also worth mentioning that there is currently NO power set that feels "weak", and that they can be put into any combination - my main is currently Martial Arts/Power Armour/Munitions with a bit of Telekinesis thrown in for good measure (well, the heal part of it), and, unlike in some games that would slaughter me for not specializing, I frequently come in the top 10% of damage done, while still being able to keep to a theme.

EDIT - also, being able to play on a 360 controller is awesome - it really helps the feel of the game.

I am looking foreward to playing this. I still think I'll wait a few months to see where it goes. I don't want another Tabula Rasa on my hands.

Almost good enough to make me try a MMO. But I waste enough time at my computer each day, I don't need another addiction.

I definitely want to try this game. It looks like a lot of fun and the customization is great looking, I wonder what I could come up with.

I made a Japanese school girl with super strength named Kimiko. She kicks ass.

Gah, I'm a nut for customization and superheroes, it's just that I don't have time for an MMO right now :(. Can I buy the customization separate or something? :)~

I am trying to NOT sign up for this.

Thank you so much John for making it that much harder.

Shamus Young:

Join us, we have cookies!
MWHAHAHAHAHAH!

Ranooth:

Shamus Young:

MWHAHAHAHAHAH!

it got sprinkles too!

The game is a lot of fun. Customizing your powers to fit characters that you may have dreamt up is definitely the best about this game. Having a hard time finding groups, but it is only the beginning. I'm sure it'll get easier as time goes on.

I've been having a lot of fun with this lately, playing in a pair of set groups. The speed of combat makes it a nice breath of fresh air compared to most MMO titles.

Looks like it's City of Heroes with a few improvements. :/

Crimsane:

Few improvements?

Graphics, gameplay, customization (both looks and powers) and more of a "you are the hero!" and less "oh, great, another hero... well, go wait in the line" than in CoH.

Besides, you can't say that making a, let's say, double-wooden-legged mecha lizard that shoots beams from his eyes and breaths poison isn't awesome.

maddog015:
The game is a lot of fun. Customizing your powers to fit characters that you may have dreamt up is definitely the best about this game. Having a hard time finding groups, but it is only the beginning. I'm sure it'll get easier as time goes on.

One thing I found that helped that was joining a supergroup - my current group has something in the region of 150 players, so there's always someone on to team with. From talking to a few of them, I'm fairly certain some of them are from here, actually - own up, who's in The Immortals?

Is there any difference between this and City of Heroes? I play CoH and I was wondering if it was different enough to warrent trying.

008Zulu:
Is there any difference between this and City of Heroes? I play CoH and I was wondering if it was different enough to warrent trying.

Yeah. There are some similarities, but the two games play and feel very different. Sometimes that's for the better, sometimes not. For example. Currently the teaming system is not a good as the one in CoH, but the combat is much more enjoyable.

Littaly:
Gah, I'm a nut for customization and superheroes, it's just that I don't have time for an MMO right now :(. Can I buy the customization separate or something? :)~

You can go here http://www.ugo.com/channels/comics/heromachine2/heroMachine2.asp

Its not for Champion you can still make the hero that you want.

This looks good, it's subscription and p2p based right?

slipknot4:
This looks good, it's subscription and p2p based right?

Sub based. Sorry.

Chipperz:

One thing I found that helped that was joining a supergroup - my current group has something in the region of 150 players, so there's always someone on to team with. From talking to a few of them, I'm fairly certain some of them are from here, actually - own up, who's in The Immortals?

Hm, well, I have yet to find a supergroup, so gotta start there first.

Oh, and there are no "servers" per se. Each zone is split into a bunch of instances. So no worries about figuring out what server your friends are on.

I...I think I may be subscribing to this MMO. I'm serious. It beats getting back into WoW where I know I'm going to have the exact same experience all over again, but this...actually looks fun. I'd have to give up quite a lot to pony up enough cash for the subscription fee, and I'd need to buy the game and make my computer capable of running it, but I would say there's a very strong probability any Champions players on the Escapist will see me in CO sometime soon.

I've got my eye on you, Champions. Don't let me down.

I enjoyed champions, I really did, but the graphical demands it put on my system were so large that even at the lowest settings (IE it looked like polygons with wood finish on it) my frame rate was very choppy.

While many people won't agree with me on my comparison I use WoW as a thumbnail for what my system can and can't run. Currently my system runs wow at a constant 60fps(with nearly everything but shadows at max) when not on a 25man boss with heavy particle effects. Why do I use WoW as a thumbnail you ask? I feel its a good medium between high and low end graphics; its most taxing aspect being that it's got alot of particle effects.

While this opens up a whole new conversation that is very far off-topic from here; its the constant need to upgrade the chunks of a PC to run new games that I feel still keeps the PC gaming market somewhat lagging behind the consoles. Frankly I don't have the money to buy the most mother humper computer out there, nor do I have the money to upgrade something every time a new game comes out.

To sum it up, I'd love to play champions, but I just can't because of my current tech specs.

Chipperz:

Hm, well, I have yet to find a supergroup, so gotta start there first.

Oh, and there are no "servers" per se. Each zone is split into a bunch of instances. So no worries about figuring out what server your friends are on.[/quote]

Well, like I say, I'm in a pretty decent supergroup - I'm on @Chipperz, drop me a line and I'll see about getting you an invite :)

John, you forgot to mention the badassery of the Nemesis system. Have a hard time making your own character? Pft! How about having a hard time making your arch rival as well as his/her minions!

CantFaketheFunk:
... it really does feel overwhelming and intimidating, so people who are just looking to dip into the universe may actually be driven away. By the time I hit level 10 I had already acquired a full set of equipment, and wasn't actually sure what some of it did ("Power Replace? What's that mean?).

I've seen this SO much in so many games, especially with phrases that don't make sense. Being an MMO, I think that they should design an in game codex/manual to all the terminology and less than obvious features of the game, maybe even in an interactive style. If it's interactive, it could be abused to escape and wait out things in an unfair way, and limiting it's use to arbitrary locations would be inconvenient... maybe if there was a Training Grounds area or something, where you could learn Basic and Advanced Techniques as well as try out/ practice new moves and then have an HUD based dictionary to all the made up phrases of the game. Or not, that works too.

008Zulu:

This is where I've been coming from. My friends who've tried both say that CO is as broken as CoX used to be, but the PvP is better.

From what I've seen so far, CoX just seems the better game. I'm just waiting for someone to show me something that Champions does that much better.

The_root_of_all_evil:
I'm just waiting for someone to show me something that Champions does that much better.

Lowers your expectations so that The Old Republic will be that much more awesome?

Frank_Sinatra_:

The_root_of_all_evil:
I'm just waiting for someone to show me something that Champions does that much better.

Lowers your expectations so that The Old Republic will be that much more awesome?

SW:G killed my faith in SOE long before Old Republic was even announced.

The press release for it, which I ranted about, just buried it.

Man, If my computer screen wouldn't go black and say no input anytime I tried to play a game like portal, I would probably get this.
Good review though, I have been thinking aobut getting this game, and this review pretty much peaked my interest.
I am just curious, since I can't seem to find out if it does, does this game have a monthly fee or no?

Alright. Now, how will this translate successfully onto the Xbox, as they have promised?

Abedeus:
Glad to see an objective review. I agree with pretty much everything you said... but you didn't mention one thing:

Either they fixed it after few months of CB and OB, or you were lucky to NOT have ridiculous amounts of FPS issues and staggering. I've heard they fixed it, but I'm giving the game another month or two to fix bugs.

Other than that - you can be anything you want, everyone you have ever dreamed off... But if it's copywrited (either name or costume, or story as in some cases it might be), prepare to face the Banhammer of Protectron.

My dad plays Champions, and has since beta, about 2 motnsh now, There may be small cracks in the smoothness of the game, and that might just be because he has options turned to max, but it runs great when I see him playing, in fact it makes me want to play it.

Gestapo Hunter:

Ranooth:

Shamus Young:

MWHAHAHAHAHAH!

it got sprinkles too!

Sorry what? Two purple baloons appear to be in the way right now.

OT: Huh... That completely conflicts with the review over at G4. They said that the combat was unbalanced, and that the game as a whole lacked variety. Apparently they were bullshitting felt differently about it. Now to wait until Microsoft gets off there big fat moneybags and green lights the console release.

Abedeus:

Crimsane:

Few improvements?

Graphics, gameplay, customization (both looks and powers) and more of a "you are the hero!" and less "oh, great, another hero... well, go wait in the line" than in CoH.

Besides, you can't say that making a, let's say, double-wooden-legged mecha lizard that shoots beams from his eyes and breaths poison isn't awesome.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here