Escape to the Movies: 9

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Yeah, when I first saw the trailers for this movie, I really did think it was a movie based off of Little Big Planet. Now knowing what the movie is about, I kinda wish it was.

I wonder why Titan AE was considered mature... I've watched it and it didnt have any mature stuff in it...

I'm glad your review picked up at the end there, my girlfriend has been dead excited about this movie! We don't get it until October though :(.

I was actually looking forward to 9 and wanted to see if it fell flat or not, so it annoyed me when you decided to review weeaboos instead for the first half there. I'm pretty sure everyone hates these guys; it doesn't bear restating.

In any case, I can't say I was surprised. The original short was just visual excellence, and it seemed a stretch that they could pull out good plot and characters for it. Regardless, it gives my inner graphic designer a great big stiffy and I'll probably watch it just to sink in the visuals anyway.

kommunizt kat:
I wonder why Titan AE was considered mature... I've watched it and it didnt have any mature stuff in it...

Mature doesn't mean tits and gore.

I actually saw it earlier today, matinee, $4, hell yeah. Anyways, I personally thought that the movie was really good. The visuals were absolutely incredible, the action was great and somewhat inventive in the ways they did certain things, the ending wasn't really anything to write home to mother about but oh well. I personally started to like the characters, especially the pole-arm wielding chick with the bird skull on her head. She was a beast. But regardless, it was a good movie, definitely worth a matinee if you've got the time.

polygon:
I was actually looking forward to 9 and wanted to see if it fell flat or not, so it annoyed me when you decided to review weeaboos instead for the first half there. I'm pretty sure everyone hates these guys; it doesn't bear restating.

In any case, I can't say I was surprised. The original short was just visual excellence, and it seemed a stretch that they could pull out good plot and characters for it. Regardless, it gives my inner graphic designer a great big stiffy and I'll probably watch it just to sink in the visuals anyway.

kommunizt kat:

okay, so what makes it mature then?

I agree with everything 9 related said in this review. The visuals are the best I've seen all year, but the story doesn't make much sense. As for the anime stuff... I've got no idea. I'm not that big of an anime fan. Although God knows I love me some .Hack//Sign.

kommunizt kat:

polygon:

kommunizt kat:

Mature means that it can be accepted by many ages, not just kids, as a quality piece of media. So needlessly putting in a bunch of tits, sex, and violence doesn't make something mature in that sense.

You know, I really know what your gettign at Moviebob, with the otaku that is.

I go to anime conventions, I do panels about philosophy at said anime conventions, otaku are my people, and what a sad sad statement that has become. Most otaku have becoem obsessed with just a few particular anime (Death note, Naruto, Bleach, lately Hitalia) and know about nothing else, but blankly support those anime, much like sheep. But the remander of what I would call otaku are worse, elitist scum that seem to either KNOW every anime ever made, or HATE every anime ever made.

It seems to be an effect I see at gaming conventions too, either the gamer loves a few games (Halo, Call of duty, Super Smash brother brawl), or he has PLAYED every game ever, or HATE every game ever.

So I guess what I'm trying to force out here Moviebob, is that I smell what your getting at, and I agree, and that's coming FROM an otaku, one who zealously beleives that anime is quite near to the pefect medium (if done correctly).

That being said, I have a question for you, where do you stand? I see quite a few anime references in your videos, I'm not trying to be pushy, I'm simply curious.

With respect.

PS I'm sorry for not adding anything to the disscussion of the movie 9

The overall movie, when I watched it, was decent. I was disappointed that there was no Coheed and Cambria music in it like there was in the trailers.

No one will read this but I will say it.

I saw 9 and District 9 on the same day and to be frank I liked 9 more. Why, because it did not have then first 45 min of boring background.

9 never loss my attention it had it the whole way though. But yes they could have done more with the doctor and background in to when he made the brain.

Also movie bob I am with you with you about the fucking anima boys at a book store I have to run the fuckers out everyday it seems, If you want to read the fucking book buy the fucking book!

kommunizt kat:

polygon:

kommunizt kat:

Someone dies in it. I mean think of it when is the last time you seen a movie where nearly everyone dies in it.

Hell I actually though 9 was going to bite it never saw 1 jumping in, I figed 3 4 or 7 would do what he did.

I agree with Bob 100% on this review. (Not the whole weaboos thing, because I really don't care about that one way or another.) The animation was superb, the voice acting was excellent, the action was extremely well-done, and the story... well... the story was sort of like a drunken prairie dog: It popped up here and there and didn't make much sense when I saw it. Character exposition was almost nil (9 only knew 2 for, what, four minutes? Then spent the rest of the first half of the movie dead-set on rescuing him), and all the Numbers (I can't think of a better name for the group) are basically flat archetypes- the Distrustful Leader, the Dumb Muscle, the Wild Roamer, etc. I could pick out ten minutes of film spent on panning shots of dust-covered devastation that could instead have been used to give these characters more filling-out.

Though, like Bob said, it's not a BAD film. If you have any sort of interest in computer animation, it's worth seeing 9 just to experience how far CGI has come. If you like action movies, there's a fair amount of action here. If you want to become attached to complex characters, though... you're not going to get much of a chance here.

kommunizt kat:

You do realize someone gets their neck snapped?

Seamus8:

kommunizt kat:

I can think of many things that are much more graphic and disturbing than a neck snap. Then again, I'm fairly desensitized.

FUCKING THANK YOU!!! for giving Titan A.E. an honorable mention in the criminally unappreciated, adult animated feature list.
I grew up watching that movie, and I was dumbfounded on why no one else was spellbound by the amazing interstellar visuals, fantastic voice cast, and genuinely gripping plot (replete in betrayals as it was).

I was definitely impressed when I first saw the trailer and my thoughts were immediately reflected in the advertising for it a few weeks later (something along the lines of: "Definitely not your little brother's animated movie").
I thought it was badass how they could take something so innocent and insignificant as a ragdoll and throw it into a menacing, steampunk beast-filled postapocalyptic world.
I must admit I couldn't wait to see the little guys go to town on some terminator mecha-ass.

Not overly surprised by your review...I was only really interested in seeing it for the visuals anyways...seeing it all come to life would be fulfilling enough for me.

Edit:

Comments on anime blowhards' elitism and "base camps" hilariously true...

Let's see...
"Great visuals but boring and predictible story"

That pretty much describes Pixar movies, too. Yet they keep getting 9s and 10s across the board.

Now, you can't criticize the ending because it was supposed to bear some resemblance to the ending of the original animation, which it does surprisingly well given the changes to the story. So unless Acker's actually a stuck up bag of ass who knew all along that 9 would be expanded into a movie but couldn't be shitted to make it work, the ending's pretty good in a WTF kind of way. The problem with 9 was that it was a bland plot in a beautiful world that's exceedingly equatable to Crysis. I overall liked it because it stimulated the "Look! Stuff on fire!" portion of my brain. Final notes; the twins kicked ass, loved the anime tirade.

As far as adult-oriented animation movies goes, I would definitely advise The Secret of NIMH. The Walt Disney Company originally rejected this project because it was perceived to be "too dark" and complicated to be a financial hit.

Nice job, thank you for hitting all the points I thought when I saw the trailer. I personally wish you did a little bit more since it kind of sounds like that is what you did. This is simply from the point of view that the review is point on point what I thought of when seeing the trailers is all. That is why I personally wish you did a bit more is all.

Those that have anything to say about NMHs being used keep in mind NMH is satirical game. It is making fun of those things, much in this usage is doing exactly what the game does. If there is any question to that still I suggest you cheek out http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/2008/04/episode-one-matter-of-character.html for his thoughts on NMH.

Why all the hate for anime fans? I'm sorry that you seem to have had bad experiences with us, but just know that we aren't all like that.

Anyway, back on topic.

I found the movie incredibly disappointing. The original short was good, the trailers for the full-length movie were even better, but all they really did was pile all their hopes on the animation and tacked on what felt like a pre-made, insert-your-characters-here Hollywood adventure movie plot. Throughout the whole movie, I kept saying to myself "Okay, that dialogue/scene/whatever was kinda bad, but I'll bet that the rest of the movie's gonna kick ass!" But it never really did.

The twins were cool, though. Probably because they had more personality than any of the other characters... and they couldn't even speak.

Seamus8:

kommunizt kat:

so? seen a lot of that in anime, besides it was an alien...

KingKamor:
Why all the hate for anime fans? I'm sorry that you seem to have had bad experiences with us, but just know that we aren't all like that.

Not a hate, more of just pointing out the bad apples is what it looked like to me.

jefequeso:
Let's see...

That pretty much describes Pixar movies, too. Yet they keep getting 9s and 10s across the board.

Uh, no, actually, that doesn't describe Pixar movies.

I saw nine last night and woul dhave to agree with him. I was just underwhelmed. Maybe becasue I heard the name Tim Burton I was expecting something a bit creepier with a more original plot, but other than the visuals and good action parts, I was just kinda...eh. But My major concern about this review is BEOWULF? Really? Underrated? I think its possibly one of the worst movies I've see. Sure, it looked pretty (amazing actually sometimes I though I was watching a live action) but the storyline was aweful. Perhaps if I hadn't read the epic in highschool I wouldn't have minded as much, but it deviated so much from the source material (and not in a positive way) that I just couldn't enjoy it.

I used to be one of those extremist otaku, until I read this book in grad school called The Anime Encyclopedia and learned most of the "totally original" plot ideas from anime actually came from 1950s British and American science fiction. I don't hate anime as a format, and I still consider Neon Genesis Evangelion one of the greatest series of all time, anime or no, but I'm a lot more selective these days. Sturgeon's Law applies to anime as much as anything else, and for every ground-breaking series or film you get a load of derivative and unoriginal crap.

13lackfriday:
FUCKING THANK YOU!!! for giving Titan A.E. an honorable mention in the criminally unappreciated, adult animated feature list.
I grew up watching that movie, and I was dumbfounded on why no one else was spellbound by the amazing interstellar visuals, fantastic voice cast, and genuinely gripping plot (replete in betrayals as it was).

I agree that Titan's visuals (especially the ice field sequence at the climax) and voice acting were fantastic. I just didn't like the plot at all. I hate energy beings in science fiction (though points to Titan AE for making them villains instead of cosmic messiahs), I don't usually find one-dimensional antagonists to be interesting--much less mature--unless they're extremely charismatic or fun to watch (Kurgan or Joker? Win. Drej? Fail), the montages set to 80s hair metal seemed archaic and cheesy (like I was watching the Transformers animated movie again), and, well, at the time I'd had it up to here with plots about the main character's daddy issues.

kommunizt kat:

I understood "mature" meant that it was aimed at 15-year-olds instead of 8-year-olds. Like Exosquad, Batman: the Animated Series, or Clone High. It's extremely rare that fiction with an adolescent protagonist can truly be considered adult fare, and Titan AE was no Catcher in the Rye.

i agree with the anime bit...but i'm surprised there not open minded about it o.o

but on with 9...i still want to see it because i think it deserves the $9...((that's cheap i think since I'm from the uk)) and i think movies are kicking ass this year shame games aren't but at least we have the movies such as...avatar to look forward to as well (and alice in wonder but that's next year T__T )

Zedzero:

-LOUD UNCONTOLLABLE COUGH- Excuse me! I pretty much forgot about that game. All it was was a dude carring a lightsaber and decapitating people whihc intern trigger very graphic bloodly messes, it was medicore at best.

You miss the emphisis on characters and nostalgia completely.

Spore was last year, 9 was this year. I was really looking forward to this film, and it sucks that it just wasn't that good.

jefequeso:
Let's see...

So what part about an old man tying balloons to his house to fly to another country with a little kid and a talking dog and a giant bird is boring and predictable?

popdafoo:
Spore was last year, 9 was this year. I was really looking forward to this film, and it sucks that it just wasn't that good.

jefequeso:
Let's see...

So what part about an old man tying balloons to his house to fly to another country with a little kid and a talking dog and a giant bird is boring and predictable?

Actually, 'Up' was the best Pixar movie in awhile.

What I mean is that while the basic idea for their movies may be clever, the actual plots are formulaic and cliched. I'd rather have an un-original setting and a creative, interesting plot than vise-versa.

Jonatron:

Zedzero:

-LOUD UNCONTROLLABLE COUGH- Excuse me! I pretty much forgot about that game. All it was was a dude carrying a lightsaber and decapitating people which intern trigger very graphic bloody messes, it was mediocre at best.

You miss the emphasis on characters and nostalgia completely.

Both of you are right, but I suggest getting back to the topic at hand about the movie rather then the usage of a game. This is a movie review after all and not a game review.

Now on regards of Pixar in general they do work with a good deal of formulaic points. They understand what is the working formula so they end up making the story of getting there entertaining or clever. Finding Nemo for example was a simple tale of A goes to far and gets lost so B goes off and finds A. Having for example the person who knows where to go, but can't remember where adds to being the journey. Sure the Shark chase was predictable, but it being from an addict who is trying to quit was what made it interesting to watch.

Though I think the main reason Pixar is regard with such praise is they keep to the idea that Looney Toons and a lot of cartoons did in making a story that is enjoyable for all. I put the Phantom Tollbooth up there with One Flew Over the Coco's Nest, but the key difference in that Phantom Tollbooth is something all audience can understand. Something that use to be the golden staple of cartoons or things animated in general. Now this is the main idea behind what is considered a Mature Animation. Batman the Animated Series and Batman Beyond kept to this idea. Hell the spin off from Batman Beyond called The Hex Project(could be wrong) though not as popular did the same job. A machine designed to be the perfect assassin that doesn't want to hurt anyone, but ends up having to fight in these battles trying to protect others from the people out to get him. A rather interesting concept that came down to just being the engine that allowed a new robotic battle each week. Sure it was formulaic and a bit cliched because of that, but how it got to each battle is where the guys were being cleaver.

Now this is one example I am thinking of, but I think this is the goal of any good and popular movie. The overarching machine may be routine, but the little bits that will wow people is what changes. Now 9 looked from the trailer to not be that, looked like a great designed monster movie that at best would be a good Sci Fi(or whatever they are calling it these days) movie of the week. From the review, for the most part kind of just retold what I thought from the trailer. Kind of wish he gave a little more to the review. This may be mainly because what you get out of the trailer you be getting out of the movie. Which was said in the review.

Now odds are I am probably wrong here, since I still have no clue what is meant by Mature animation when the culture by in large that define that consider the more tits and pricks as considered being Mature. Something that I think that by in large doesn't make much sense. I haven't seen Mature meet the definition of mature. Simply been used to say something can have drugs,tits, or swearing. Just putting the word mature into google is evidence of that.

Sorry if I am not making much sense here, but the short hand of this is I don't get how what gets labeled in movies as PG-13 is considered Mature in animation.

=/
*sigh* I mean you got the point across of what the movie is and how it fairs. But I feel you could have done better. Elaborated a tad more, given us more a character development. Like who is 9, and what does he do. and I suggest you could do that by cutting the anime fan critic. Yes, you have an opinion, and I respect it. But imagine if I was to flip opinion my local paper and read that review. It wouldn't be shoehorned in there.

MovieBob:

Shadow_Kid:
NO MORE HEROES WAS AWSOME I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY

I agree. "NMH" will probably be remembered as one of the defining games of this console generation. That said, YOU try finding enough images that immediately and universally scream "obnoxious Japanophile" to a web-saavy audience that ISN'T part of someone's personal flickr account ;)

It came down to Francis and Travis because I couldn't remember the name of the slacker neighbor from Shin-Chan. Though I'm just now realizing it would've been a nice place to drop a Chinpokomon bit. Ah, well...

Not to get too ball cupping friendly but I tend to find your reviews to be pretty informative.

This one was no different. Plus the best part was seeing the LBP reference since the second I saw a commercial for this I thought "Whoa that's a little dark for little big planet!"

Seamus8:

kommunizt kat:

Happens on Disney Rides all the time in real life which must mean it is kid friendly in cartoons ;).

i.e. the "otaku thing..."

Look, I'm a pretty big Anime fan and a diletante of Japanese pop-culture in addition, so this isn't some sort of anger thing, more just an observation about "blind spots" in this specific regard. When anime was first taking off in the U.S., it was the more "adult" stuff like Akira, Vampire Hunter D and the rest of the "first-wave-anime-roll-call" that led the charge. But now it seems that Anime fandom has morphed from being "discerning animation fans who were aware of Japanese animation" to "fans of ONLY Japanese animation to the exclusion of everything else."

What I think it comes down to is that, in a lot of cases, people who define themselves as "fans" of a medium don't fully grasp what they are actually fans of. For example, I think it's no exaggeration to state that a working majority of American "comic book fans" are REALLY "superhero fans" who read comics because thats where the genre primarily exists. Likewise, I think that because Anime is now so prevalent in the U.S. "adult animation fandom" has been drowned-out by people who are REALLY "fans of Japanese popular culture" and who are into Anime because thats where most of their "fix" is coming from. I mean, look at how little regard Hayo Miyazaki - Anime's greatest living artist/filmmaker - has among American "Otaku" fandom because his stuff is so lacking in J-pop "hooks" and Anime mecha/schoolgirl/yuri/yaoi/hammerspace/nosebleed style cliches. And I'm willing to bet that American Otakus WON'T be turning out in the same droves to see how the "Astro Boy" revival movie turns out with the same furvor that they packed theatres for the brief runs of the live-action "Death Note" movies.

That might be a deal of generations is all. Personally have a bigger interest in Astro Boy simply because Death Note showed when it loses its trick pony, it isn't much more then of pure fantasy that get to live out. I hate such and such, I write there name down and no more. That is what I think brings in the fans on that. I do agree with you, since in America when adult is done it is ussually look down on. It is ok for it to work in Japan, but in America looked as too strange to work with. It's ok, because it isn't in American. Its ok for it to do the same old same old love triangle cliches that are horrid in American, because its from Japan. I agree that it is stupid. It is simply a medium, nothing more. It has its good and bad just like any other medium.

The only reason I have moved from comics to managa is I can read it from start to finish. Sure I love to cheek it out the stories in comics but outside of webcomics it isn't avalible to purchase is all. Y-the Last Man I was able to read because it had a fix amount that came in the volumes to buy.

Still I understand and agree with you because having that fix is how I was introduced to the medium of manga threw a friend. Which I think is ok, as long as it is understood that is all one is getting into. Thinking that it is better simply where you get your fix from leads to stupidity. Which is the point I think you are making. I understand that for the action fix, they go to the people that make pop corn flicks like Independence Day. Just because that is the case, it certainly does not make it any better then Casa Blanca simply because it doesn't have your fix in it.

That is your point from here right? Which sounds like you are using the word otaku properly then. In it meaning someone who stays at home all the time and doesn't have a life. Life in this point meaning can function in society. Which is something that most people wear as a badge of honor when its cement shoes(foot encased in cement). For using the word properly while using to describe them, I applaud you for that good sir.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here