Rebecca Mayes Muses: Worms 2: Armageddon

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Worms 2: Armageddon

This week, Rebecca Mayes goes acapella for Worms 2: Armageddon.

Watch Video

Excellent job, Rebecca. Very bold to go for acapella, but it works pretty good.

You really shut up the critics now, I reckon. No repetitive lyrics whatsoever and a nice take at Worms 2: Armageddon. Keep it up!

By the way: I hate worms.

Jericho_222:
First!

This screams for some hardcore mod interference.

Ooh. I like it more than the Sims 3 one. Very good job!

I have no idea how many hours I wasted with my Worms Battle Pack on PC.
And if we're going even further back, I think I have an original on GameBoy somewhere, with teams named after Aliens characters.

Joa_Belgium:

You really shut up the critics now, I reckon. No repetitive lyrics whatsoever and a nice take at Worms Armageddon. Keep it up!

Jericho_222:
First!

Yeah, but I still couldn't stand to hear that music... Although she has FINALLY changed the repetitive chorus problem, it still IMO isn't good enough to listen, funny enough to laugh, worthwhile enough to entertain.

AWESOMEFULLNESSNESS!!

This makes my want to play Worms on my brothers Iphone.

Great song.

Abedeus:

Joa_Belgium:

You really shut up the critics now, I reckon. No repetitive lyrics whatsoever and a nice take at Worms Armageddon. Keep it up!

Jericho_222:
First!

Yeah, but I still couldn't stand to hear that music... Although she has FINALLY changed the repetitive chorus problem, it still IMO isn't good enough to listen, funny enough to laugh, worthwhile enough to entertain.

Then don't listen, and don't complain. No one is forcing you to watch, expecting you to enjoy everything you see. Maybe you could pick up a microphone and a guitar, and make something you DO like. Impose your standards on yourself before others, then share with the world and prepare for people like you.

CaptainCrunch:

Abedeus:

Joa_Belgium:

Jericho_222:
First!

Then don't listen, and don't complain. No one is forcing you to watch, expecting you to enjoy everything you see. Maybe you could pick up a microphone and a guitar, and make something you DO like. Impose your standards on yourself before others, then share with the world and prepare for people like you.

Hah, no. I do not have to do anything to say my opinions.

Besides, I find it ironic how you tell me to "pick up a guitar" if Rebecca herself is just using music programs to make "songs".

Heh, I think this is the best one yet, which I reckon is a good sign 'cos I thought they were all lovely so far.

It's a bit of a shame that this feature tends to get slightly buried, what with Apocalypse Lane and Extra Punctuation coming out at the same time.

Abedeus:

Besides, I find it ironic how you tell me to "pick up a guitar" if Rebecca herself is just using music programs to make "songs".

Then pick up a music program, and contribute something constructive. The creative component of music is the same, regardless of method.

You certainly are welcome to your opinions, and you are even welcome to say them here as anywhere on the internet where anonymity loosens the reigns of opinion.

However, you should back up your stated opinion with solid reasoning, and if you would like to share your criticism it is always preferred that you do so in a constructive way. We aren't YouTube, so don't act like it here.

I liked this one... I haven't heard anyone use rounds in a long time... it was really neat! Not to mention Worms was AWESOME!!

A little better. Less repetitive and no cacophony of every instrument playing at once. Sure, there were multiple songs singing at once, but that's kinda what acapella is about, so I really can't complain. It seemed fit musically this time too. Still can't understand what the devil you're saying, maybe make the music in the background quieter than the vocals singing the lyrics?

Concerning lyrics, the story kinda seemed all over the place. Didn't really understand what you were trying to say till my second play through. The worm catchphrases were probably what was confusing me. Then again, there really isn't any 'rule' about having to make lyrical sense.

Concerning the video, I just didn't get it. It was like watching some sorta french art film. The orange clothing was supposed to be a costume? Why show a mii or xbox avatar doing a victory dance when you could just zoom in on the worms doin them? Wait a sec, those aren't worms they're caterpillars! Well, whatever works for the song I guess...

I wasn't too impressed by this video as I was by previous videos. The lyrics had almost nothing to do with the feel of the game. Perhaps this is because this is the first game that Rebecca has sung about that I have actually played. To me worms has always been about silly fun and extravagant plans that fail miserably. I just didn't get that vibe from the video. I know not everyone's play experience is the same but I never felt worms was about "satisfying honor" in the 18th century duelist sense of the term.

I can't say how to make a better song since music is not really my strong point. However I enjoyed the Sims video because messing with some poor slob's life was consistent with the game. Same with the Wolverine anger issue theme. This video just seems like a copout.

CaptainCrunch:

Abedeus:

Then pick up a music program, and contribute something constructive. The creative component of music is the same, regardless of method.

You certainly are welcome to your opinions, and you are even welcome to say them here as anywhere on the internet where anonymity loosens the reigns of opinion.

However, you should back up your stated opinion with solid reasoning, and if you would like to share your criticism it is always preferred that you do so in a constructive way. We aren't YouTube, so don't act like it here.

You still act like you believe I should do anything to post my OPINIONS.

OPINIONS. Don't you understand that? An opinion isn't something you can or should discuss. You can't be constructive about whether you like an apple or an orange.

"Why don't you like apples?"

"Well... they don't taste good."

"LOL! You should try to plant an apple tree, growing one and THEN say it doesn't taste good!!"

Also, this means none of us can criticize anything, basically. I can't criticize politicians, because I'm not a law student. I can't criticize movies, because I'm not a script writer. I can't criticize music, because I'm not a... well, okay, I know how to play the guitar a little, but in this case, I can't even say I don't LIKE the music.

Okay, want reasoning?

a) lyrics are bland and forgetable. I still don't know whether this is supposed to be entertaining, funny or informative.
b) I can't hear them half the time because it seems like the music is the main thing, you hear about 75% of the music and 25% of the lyrics. That's really bad. It should be at least even, if not 75% lyrics and 25% music.
c) also, there is something I can't quite put my finger on that makes me want to alt+f4 the video half-way through. I guess she just has an annoying voice.

There you go, happy?

I won't cover the musical aspect since I think Rannos22 said what I was thinking.

I do want to comment about the video (and your style in general). It seems like you're trying to combine gaming and vaguely sexual playfulness. In theory that sounds like a great gimmick to be popular with the typical gamer demographic. But for some reason it just isn't clicking for me. I can't put my finger on what my problem is with your videos. Maybe it'll just take some practice or maybe it's an acquired taste. The only concrete thing I can say that bothers me is the frequent staring into the camera. But besides that, it just doesn't feel very .... polished I guess is the word.

But, you do seem to be improving a little each time. So keep it up.

I really like how creative you are with these songs and I like the craziness of the videos. I think you're a wonderful song writer and this one in particular was a very creative feat with the multiple voices singing acapella instead of drum beats.

The only thing I don't like about your songs is when I hear garageband loops being heard because I could literally make a song out of the same loops and so can twenty other people. I once had a stop-motion class and each of the videos had to have some form of music or sound, so the students knowing nothing really about music just slapped together a bunch of songs in garageband using loops. They all sounded exactly the same because they used the same generic loops instead of making something original!

All I'm saying is I think you're more creative than garageband. :D

Cute little song. Great tune to it. Man she's talented.
I miss those little guys. I haven't played a Worms game in ages. I should really dust off Armageddon and see if I'm anywhere near as good with an Aqua Sheep...

Oh and I also love how you're mixing gaming, a purely digital art from with song and music, an analog art form. Very cool concept.

Personally I think it was a weaker one but considering I have no musical talent whatsoever I can't really complain.

Wow, now this was... different, really, really different. Not much else to say.

People in this thread are not very nice......

heh this didn't sound like that previous .... stuff before.

It was okay i guess, still i did't really feel the connection of real life shit and working it out on worms.

From a review point perspective you had to diss the graphics of a game that's i reckon a decade old? It's cartoony, but what do you expect from worms?. I guess it's a matter of taste, maybe you didn't grow up with the old worms and just took a glance at this xbox version.

From a humor point of view, it wasn't really strong. I mean when i saw the title i thought this is an excellent source for comedy. But you left it largely untapped. From the funny soundbits, chop chop cheerio, jumping sounds, bazzooka sounds, all those sounds are so very familiar and would really work to bring some smiles to faces. Instead i noticed a lame halelujah. I guess the song itself didn't leave much room to incorperate such stuff. But it really is a shame.

So end conclusion.
Song = ok/average
Reviewing = meh
Humor = a lot of missed chances.
If you didn't have boobies i wouldn't see a reason why this series is still continuing

Yah, I think this one threw me. Usually I immediately recommend that we get an .mp3 file for the song, (which I'm still waiting on, mind you) but I think this might be one of those songs where the first time you hear it, you can kinda take it or leave it, and then another listen (or two) later, something connects.

I kinda liked the style of this review, the acapella was nice... but tearing into an old playstation game seems a bit harsh and unnecessary to me. But I plan to keep listening anyways, naturally. I'm not going to whine about anything being weak or funny or not funny or any of that crap, because frankly these songs and videos are interesting enough to watch and listen to every single time.

CaptainCrunch:

Abedeus:

Why? The man doesn't think the songs are so great, what kind of solid reasoning is supposed to go behind that? Are you going to go up to people who like it and ask them to give some solid reasoning to back up their opinion?

I'd say more, but Abedeus put it better than I could.

I was expecting this to sound like the previous songs, but this surprised me. I liked it. My favorite is still Bionic Commando, though. Keep up the good work.

Really enjoyed this one, the acapella worked very well for the song, and while the video certainly had a lot more of an artsy feel then the previous ones I have seen, it also had kind of a neat contradiction to the game itself(laying peacefully in the grass while singing about the physics of blowing each other up).

I don't normally comment on these forums, but it looks like a lot of people are chiming in to rip into your videos because they are a lot different then what you might expect to see on a gaming magazine site, but I do want to say that you have a lot of fans out here too even if we aren't always the vocal ones.

Catchy tune i must say.Rather entertaining.

Wow, Becks, I figured I'd have to wait a while between videos, but you've been pumping them out at a very fast rate recently. A new style with each video always has me tentative when I press the "play" button as what to expect, but once again the new style was fun to listen to.

As an aside: What was up with the record scratch part? I half expected the speed and everything else to completely shift into some sort of techno-beat thing when I heard that. I'm not saying it was bad, just surprising.

Very nice job. Doing it acapella really showed us how good your voice is. Not that we couldnt tell before but it was kinda hard to hear over the music. It was also nice to hear a song about a game that hasn't been previously reviewed on Zero Punctuation or Unskippable (Not that singing songs on ggmes they've reviewed is nessaceraly a bad thing)

Frankfurter4444:
Wow, Becks, I figured I'd have to wait a while between videos, but you've been pumping them out at a very fast rate recently. A new style with each video always has me tentative when I press the "play" button as what to expect, but once again the new style was fun to listen to.

As an aside: What was up with the record scratch part? I half expected the speed and everything else to completely shift into some sort of techno-beat thing when I heard that. I'm not saying it was bad, just surprising.

Garageband loop. I actually used it a couple times when I was fooling around with songs and stuff. I think the song would be stronger without it.

The Infamous Scamola:

Why? The man doesn't think the songs are so great, what kind of solid reasoning is supposed to go behind that? Are you going to go up to people who like it and ask them to give some solid reasoning to back up their opinion?

Abedeus:

OPINIONS. Don't you understand that? An opinion isn't something you can or should discuss. You can't be constructive about whether you like an apple or an orange.

It's not a question of the validity of a given opinion, but rather the dramatically low content provided. You don't like apples? That's fine. Why post to say you don't like apples? Who the hell cares that you don't like apples, and what can simply saying "They don't taste good" do to improve the work being done by the farmers that grow the apples you don't like? If you don't like apples, don't eat them, and don't post just to say that you don't like them.

If apples don't taste "good", talk about something that does taste "good" to give a point of reference for your distaste.

I don't like the way you stated your original opinion, so I offered something you could do to modify your opinion to suit my personal tastes of what makes a "good" opinion. It really doesn't matter whether you like it or not. The reason I'm not calling out the people who like it out is because they aren't being pointless dicks.

I'm glad that you've provided some reference for your dislike of the series, however, you seem compelled to come back on a regular basis to spew about how you still don't like it. It's really quite simple. If you don't like it, you don't have to keep trying to argue about it.

CaptainCrunch:

The Infamous Scamola:

Abedeus:

It's not a question of the validity of a given opinion, but rather the dramatically low content provided. You don't like apples? That's fine. Why post to say you don't like apples? Who the hell cares that you don't like apples, and what can simply saying "They don't taste good" do to improve the work being done by the farmers that grow the apples you don't like? If you don't like apples, don't eat them, and don't post just to say that you don't like them.

If apples don't taste "good", talk about something that does taste "good" to give a point of reference for your distaste.

I don't like the way you stated your original opinion, so I offered something you could do to modify your opinion to suit my personal tastes of what makes a "good" opinion. It really doesn't matter whether you like it or not. The reason I'm not calling out the people who like it out is because they aren't being pointless dicks.

I'm glad that you've provided some reference for your dislike of the series, however, you seem compelled to come back on a regular basis to spew about how you still don't like it. It's really quite simple. If you don't like it, you don't have to keep trying to argue about it.

Aww, how nice.

Someone again doesn't understand that "Comment" isn't the same as "Post a positive opinion".

Also, nice of you to call people differing from your opinion "pointless dicks".

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here