On Generic Games

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

On Generic Games

Yahtzee Croshaw takes on gaming as generic as this sentence.

Read Full Article

I certainly liked the thought of your little example, although I'd imagine it would be a novelty, run around the city for a while, blast stuff with your giant laser, then... Do it again? Oh bugger. It would definately need something stopping it from not getting old fast.

At least include a chainsaw.

I hope I'm not the only person who expected you to say something other than 'tongue' when mentioning what the love interests throat was bound for.
Cough.

I lol'd like 5 times while reading this, especially that someone else has heard of Chasm, especially that he understands EVE is not a Wing Commander / Tachyon the Fringe, especially that X3 is not easily accessible to anyone who wasn't already a fan (but that doesn't bother me, eh?) and especially "Quake, but not shit, "Doom with jumping" etc.

Anyway, I agree completely, I'm tired of regenning health, I enjoy carrying 20 different weapons, and I liked it when finding a key-card was more badass than "doing the pre-rendered cinematic sequence where I'm trapped in this room for 2 minutes while shit comes through the door."

Of course, the only problem I see with doing new games in old manners is that someone might go and say it stagnates the industry/genre, but I don't give a fuck because I'd be having fun. Which is why I'd like a Serious Sam 3, I'm glad they're remaking the old ones with their new engine, I'd like a new Duke Nukem, I'd like a new Doom, etc...

But I know they'll probably throw these "conventional action game features" into it and it won't be that good. :/

I like the concept of mindless shooters. If you can't make a good story, don't make one at all. I hear they're releasing the remake of Serious Sam, meaning brutal, bloody, over-sized gun using murder with high definition graphics up the ass. I'm gonna love that game.

The'll start making plain shooter fun and then you'll be crying for more story and more innovative gameplay and the process will start again

Something has to take up the majority of the gaming market. Today it was shooters, yesterday it was performers and tomorrow it could be something else. I do agree we need some more simple shooters like painkiller (because painkiller was awesome).

Although once those become popular we'll be complaining about how there isn't enough "deep" shooters...

This problem really will never get solved.

"Is it possible that a genre could die out just because it's too easy to make? That developers would want to make use of all the money and advanced rendering technology at their disposal and classic-style shooters just don't excite the designer's imagination anymore? It's possible. It's certainly what seems to have happened with space-sims. There hasn't been a mainstream, space-based, flight sim in ages, because you only have to render some ships, some floating rocks and a fuckload of empty void. Just about the only thing covering that niche right now is EVE Online, which is a little inaccessible to anyone with a boredom threshold shorter than sixteen years.*"

I agree. Which is why I'm watching Jumpgate: Evolution like a hawk.

That was actually a great fucking idea Mr. Yahtzee :S A GTA4-like city, trillions and billions amount of zombies, me and my arsenal. That IS fun. I suggest you try Mount&Blade. Although they dick around alot, much of the "here are some bad guys, here are some weapons, have fun" formula is disrupted, the feeling of being a knight and fighting singlehandedly against legions of enemies is a kickass feeling! I love Mount&Blade and can't wait for the expansion :D

Anyway, hopefully we'll, in a not-too-distant future see a game that might be in the same class as Serious Sam. Just with a little polish. Ah Serious Sam The Second Encounter is huge fun :D

There was one space-sim game out there somewhat recently: Project Sylpheed on the 360.

While not a Freespace or X-wing level classic, it kept me entertained, and let me Itano Circus to my hearts content.

Gears of War with a grappling hook? Are you sure you didn't mean Lost Planet with the grappling hook? Or GOW with a cover system?

Anyways you could try GI Joe Rise of the Cobra. It is a mindless shooter. And it won't burn your retinas like EDF 2017 will. The blood effects and insect saliva that fills the screen is really hard on the eyes simply because they chose some neon orange color.

I'd probably get indredibly bored of the game you described incredibly quickly.

Just goes to show how much effort Ron Gilbert, Tim Schafer, Steve Purcell etc etc went to to make the original games good.

I hate how every time what seems to me to be Common Sense is written out, and people act like it's the most amazing and insightful thing to grace literature. I don't know if you'll even read this [I'm sure you get more than enough replies] and I'm not discrediting you in any way. I'm simply discrediting the intelligence of some of your duller fans.
Every article of yours I've read has thrown out information and opinions me and my friends have shared for at least a decade now, and yet people eat it up.
Not I'm just repeating myself.
Just keep doing what your doing, making common sense that much more common.

Well, with Serious Sam coming to XBLA, hopefully it will get support and more developers will pay attention to those kinds of shooters again. I've only played the demo of Painkiller, but it was a lot of fun, (outside of the fact that half the time I run it, it plays at twice the speed it should) and I'll probably fully purchase it soon.

Incidentally, I've also played the demo of AAA!(etc.) and its awesome.

It's a little ironic that a reviewer who looks down on multiplayer is so high on a concept that's prevalent in most multiplayer games: simplicity. You want a hoard of enemies to mow down with a crazy assortment of guns? I think that's the point of just about every deathmatch game type. Just mute all the trash-talking 12-year-olds and have yourself a great time. It's even more challenging when it's real people rather than predictable, stupid AI.

i purchased AAAaaaAAAaaaaAaaaaaAAAaAa and yer its quite fun.
also i believe they are making a new serious sam.

VGFreak1225:
Well, with Serious Sam coming to XBLA, hopefully it will get support and more developers will pay attention to those kinds of shooters again. I've only played the demo of Painkiller, but it was a lot of fun, (outside of the fact that half the time I run it, it plays at twice the speed it should) and I'll probably fully purchase it soon.

Incidentally, I've also played the demo of AAA!(etc.) and its awesome.

The Painkiller speed thing can happen if you have a dual/multi core system. I had that same issue. You need to set the program's processor affinity to just 1 core and it should run fine.
I also had similar issues when I played Psychonauts on my PC.

I think you hit the worst trend a couple weeks back with anti-heroes... GAAAAA I hate this latest trend in EVERYTHING from popular manga to games... I want a true hero! Give me one that I don't want to hate... that way when he dies I actually care! Seriously why can't they make a game where the hero is just that... the hero! Maybe he has 1 fatal flaw, but he does not need to be annoying or emo or anything.

Here is a pitch.. Guy hates evil, guy kills evil, guy dies combatting evil, guy's girlfriend/brother picks up where he left off in vengence of his death and wins... is it soooo hard???

Also, I would say L4D is a monster-spam game... I thought it was the most original concept on a monster-spam game by letting the players play as the infected. But what do I know? :D

I agree with Yahtzee that 3D and console co-development has nearly destroyed gaming. Spend any time in the Fallout crowd and its impossible not to pick up a thin conformal coating of hate for Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 while very good, took out the things which made Fallout Fallout and replaced it with homogenized goo. While you could enslave people (including children), it left out the sleazy, tawdry and sometimes homoerotic sexual aspects of the game as well as the ability to attack the children. It dumbed down the skills system and could be easily beaten as a mindless FPS in a few hours. There's a good amount of "stuff", but the interaction with NPC's was sparse and limited by comparison. The choice in opening doors and safes was generally limited to lock-picking or hacking.

How much would we all have loved FO3 to have been a sprite based, isometric, turn based game which was deep in play with many voiceless NPCs to interact with.

Too bad people are fixed on "better grafix" and don't want to read since they don't equate to better games.

Stalk3rchief:
I hate how every time what seems to me to be Common Sense is written out, and people act like it's the most amazing and insightful thing to grace literature. I don't know if you'll even read this [I'm sure you get more than enough replies] and I'm not discrediting you in any way. I'm simply discrediting the intelligence of some of your duller fans.
Every article of yours I've read has thrown out information and opinions me and my friends have shared for at least a decade now, and yet people eat it up.
Not I'm just repeating myself.
Just keep doing what your doing, making common sense that much more common.

Haven't you heard? "Common sense" is anything but.

I'd have thought that would be common sense by now...

It's all about finding the balance between just releasing story shooters and just releasing mindless shooters

Wait, what? A little over a month after your tirade against Nintendo for the "popcorn nothing" of Wii Sports Resort, you're now advocating arcade-style "shooty fun" games? What are you looking for?

WraithGadra:
Wait, what? A little over a month after your tirade against Nintendo for the "popcorn nothing" of Wii Sports Resort, you're now advocating arcade-style "shooty fun" games? What are you looking for?

The great Yahtzee will never be satisfied.

Technically, I think The Punisher is that kind of mindless FPS... And because of that, is bland as sh*t.

Your idea of a game is probably good for about 30 minutes, once the novelty of making several thousands, yet identical upper bodies move in one direction while lower bodies move in another direction.

That is why games like PAIN fail to my eyes. Once you get tired of slingshoting George Takei through a city model, you begin to wonder if 10 bucks where worthy for the a cool concept demo...

Weird, Aaa... was exactly the game that popped into my mind at the end of the first page, low and behold it's on the second. I've been playing for quite a bit, it does seem to do pure simplistic fun while being easy to learn and harder to master.

Anyone remember Black? once you ignore the barely-there story, it's the closest thing to a for-the-hell-of-it shooter I've played in the last 5 years.

I agree with what you think about AaaaAAAaaa... A reckless disregard for gravity. I think it's fun and veeery original. Also the 99999999 references and jokes all around are very cool.

Jim Grim:
I'd probably get indredibly bored of the game you described incredibly quickly.

This. Oh, it'd be fun for about an hour or so, then the mindless bloodbath of zombies would just become dull and boring, same as the space marine in power armour was once rare and interesting.

Why is it a now unspoken fact that health regeneration is more realistic than health bar? I don't know about you but when I get a cut it takes longer than five seconds to mend. And yet ever since Peter Jacksons King Kong and Call Of Duty 2 a FPS without regen health is laughed at for been unrealistic, it downright odd.

Mr Companion:
Why is it a now unspoken fact that health regeneration is more realistic than health bar? I don't know about you but when I get a cut it takes longer than five seconds to mend. And yet ever since Peter Jacksons King Kong and Call Of Duty 2 a FPS without regen health is laughed at for been unrealistic, it downright odd.

By who? I don't think I've ever heard people claim regen is more realistic than health bar. More fun, maybe.

Valiance:
I lol'd like 5 times while reading this, especially that someone else has heard of Chasm, especially that he understands EVE is not a Wing Commander / Tachyon the Fringe, especially that X3 is not easily accessible to anyone who wasn't already a fan (but that doesn't bother me, eh?) and especially "Quake, but not shit, "Doom with jumping" etc.

Tachyon the Fringe! I loved that game!

WraithGadra:

Attention, mostly.

As far as I'm concerned, the reason we don't see more mindless shooters is because mindlessness tends to get old really fast. I'm not really interested in listening to people try to pass off their personal inability to handle anything more complicated than spank'n it as poor game design.

Oh, and Painkiller was awful. It was a jerky, clumsy mess that could pass off as a fanmod.

Eh. AaaAAaa! is a pretty mediocre game.

Heart-stopping sequences? Man, you must have a weak heart, or I've played too much Aion. It feels like it's just flying, but with less control and you only have to hit the right place.

Sure, you can touch buildings or fly next to objects to get more hugs/kisses, but honestly? No demo has bored me as fast as AaaAAaa! did.

However, I do want more games like Painkiller or Serious Sam. They're just what we need - a simple game with crazy monsters and outrageous weapons for more fun.

BloodSquirrel:
Oh, and Painkiller was awful. It was a jerky, clumsy mess that could pass off as a fanmod.

Are you kidding me? It was one of the best games of that year.

If only Doom 4 would be a revision back to the original formula instead of what Doom 3 was...

Psinkiller wasn't a very good game. Now Stranger's Wrath is a great game.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here