Is the DS Losing its Relevance?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Is the DS Losing its Relevance?

In the race to handheld dominance, is the DS winning or is it not even a competitor?

Read Full Article

DS's sales few weeks ago were estimated to be half a million of copies.

It's doing JUST FINE.

I read the article but I guess I don't understand the question. The main problem is that the DSi has a camera? I appreciated the better screen and speakers but admit I don't often use the camera. "Not even a competitor?" The DS has sold well over 100 Million... the next best competition, the PSP (which i also own and enjoy to be fair) has sold half of that.

Like Branovices, I agree, I don't understand the question. Is it losing its relevance? Uhh, no?

It was EVER relavent

the DSI is something that is nothing but a dodgy rip off

Like the PSPGo may be (just to show I'm NOT a fanboy!)

As long as it has Pokemon, it will never die.

The reason I like the DS so much is because of the unique titles, Scribblenauts, Pokemon and Megaman Battle Network (YES I am aware that Pokemon and Megaman are also on the GBA but they moved on to the DS)

The PSP has a very lackluster selection however, God of War is okay and GTA Vice City Stories is great fun but that's all..

http://www.ghostwiregame.com/

That's all I have to say on the subject of the DSi and its camera.

Except for this: "Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII" port for the DSi, please, Square Enix?

I'm reasonably certain that Nintendo has been waiting to see how the DSi performs before committing any sort of plans for DSiWare and so on. Since DSi-exclusive titles are starting to be announced I'd say things are probably starting to kick into gear

And really, the combined sales of both the DS and the DSi were half a million last month so I think they're still rolling along just fine

I'm now making a mental note to look out for Ghostwire in the future.

The DSi still plays games and so long as there are developers willing to make more it will stay relevant. Yes it would be nice if the DSware store filled up more quickly with the old games but I don't see how being in a rush to sell you old games at the possible expense of new and innovative games is better. I'd rather see the artstyle games that explore unique game mechanics or try to make a statement than yet another version of Super Mario World (though I wouldn't kick Mario out of bed).

As for "shoving" the camera on us and whether that is relevant. Nintendo recently updated the DSi to allow you to send pictures directly to Facebook, the only thing more relevant to most people than Facebook is Twitter. Otherwise it is hard to question the relevance of the cameras when so few games have been released that us it in any function. Until the first and second waves of camera using games are released it will be near impossible to judge if the camera is relevant or not. Even if it isn't I am thankful that someone is providing the platform for games developers to explore a new method of interaction and combination of reactions, its better than just diving at digital distribution because it is cheap and everyone is doing it.

I would not be surprised if a lot of the DSi features become removed in future iterations because Nintendo THINKS no one is interested, but the truth is that they didn't use it right. Or, they COULD be used properly but Nintendo didn't know how.

My biggest frustration is that the DSi needs a virtual console for GBA games. I'd love to grab one, but then how will I play some of the GBA games I loved like Metroid: Zero Mission? Yet if someone were to ask Nintendo about this they'd shrug and say "The current market is just fine with our current offerings" or something to that effect. Because they're Nintendo. All they can do is put a shit-eating grin on something bound to piss someone off. Why? Because they can.

Software sells consoles.

Software sells consoles.

Software sells consoles.

as long as the DS has great games coming out for it, nintendo can package it with a ham sandwich and it will sell just fine.

The article was a really weird Escapist piece. I realize that there's importance behind being opinionated and controversial, but this article really fails to back it's point. Am I to understand that the DS will become irrelevant because it has a camera that may or may not be used properly to enhance gaming? What? How is that actually hurting the system again? Oh right, the DS is having an identity crisis and doesn't know what it is anymore. Right.

Gamers that write or writers that game? What's going on here?

I don't see why it would. Handheld consoles are the only consoles that seem like they might be better than the computer version at what they do.

never really liked the 2 screen feature now if you will excuse me im going ack to playing zelda the phantom hour glass

I'm surprised that they released the DSi anywhere but Japan, it has the ring of the Japan-only super feature cash-in edition hardware that Nintendo sometimes makes. Kinda like the Panasonic Q (DVD player that was also a Gamecube).

All I know with Nintendo DS is:

-with an R4 card it is easy to play user generated content, videos, music etc
-it has a long ass battery life
-the Lite is compatible with GBA games and a whole load of other peripherals
-FPS games like Metroid Prime hunters play PERFECTLY on the DS, it is the ultimate portable console for FPS
-Ninja Gaiden DS is BAD ASS

The release of the DSi Makes the DS Lite cheaper by elementary economics but I just want to regular Lite to keep the GBA port and because I don't really need the 2nd touch screen.

The DS Lite at least is still extremely relevant to me, though I am possibly in a minority position and may not be Nintendo's major target market, but there is so much good stuff I see on DS that I want to get that I just have not been able to get with PSP.

I'd like to see how Microsoft would handle jumping on the handheld bandwagon. It's not like they haven't got the money for it and they've definitely got the right gaming companies backing them up and if it could be used as a peripheral in certain games like the PSP does with the PS3 then Microsoft might have a little moneyspinner on their hands.

On the original subject, sadly there's always going to be people out there who'll buy anything Nintendo puts out because Nintendo have subscribed to pumping out shovelware to casual gamers and the gimmick crowd who just want something to pass the time on long commutes or just to show off how "cool" they are.

I'm not entirely sure what the question is as I'm not sure what the DS is supposed to be "relevant" to, relevant to its current business model? Sure, if that means pumping out shovelware like I mentioned above; relevant to the future of handhelds? Well, maybe, seeing as they're the ones who are setting all the trends of late; relevant to the gaming market as a whole? Well that's a grey area as there's always going to be people out there who want to be the cool kid on the block and will buy whatever sparkly object Nintendo dangle in front of them, there'll always be Nintendo fanboys and there will always be the hardcore gamers who want Mario to burn in hell. So really it's anyone's guess who it's relevant to since not everyone will like it and it'll be relevant to the people it's relevant to but it'll never pass as gaming platform if Nintendo carry on their current path and try to turn it into an iPod Touch with an extra screen.

The what now?

I must say that this is by far the worst thought-out article I've seen on the Escapist thus far. Pocket Gamer attempts to make his/her/their point by using too little evidence spread over too much accusation. If you really want to make a knock against the DSi, talk about how they took out the GBA slot for the camera. That's far more terrible than them putting in a camera.

It almost sounds like you're trying to wax on the future implications that the DSi has on Nintendo's business model... but you kind of veered off into idiocy when you brought up the DSiWare which has nothing to do with the camera (Unless they port Poke'Mon Snap, which would be AWESOME).

And whaddya mean, shying away from digital distribution? They make hundreds of thousands of dollars a week with WiiWare!

I've never found either of the handhelds interesting, and it annoys me when people play them when they're out and about (the gamer's that manage that).

Play games when you're at home, on a decent sized screen and when you either have nothing to do or are trying to relax. Not when you're on the bus with 40 old people who somehow know every other elderly person that walks on to the bus.

Or when you're out eating for a meal - seeing people sit there with a PSP or something... Grrr.

k-ossuburb:

On the original subject, sadly there's always going to be people out there who'll buy anything Nintendo puts out because Nintendo have subscribed to pumping out shovelware to casual gamers and the gimmick crowd who just want something to pass the time on long commutes or just to show off how "cool" they are.

It's fun being informed.

k-ossuburb:
I'd like to see how Microsoft would handle jumping on the handheld bandwagon. It's not like they haven't got the money for it and they've definitely got the right gaming companies backing them up and if it could be used as a peripheral in certain games like the PSP does with the PS3 then Microsoft might have a little moneyspinner on their hands.

I'd reckon that handhelds require more complicated engineering than consoles. I'd imagine we'd see a bunch of deaths related to exploding portable gaming systems... but if they can get the failure rate down to below 10% then you'll only have a 1 in 10 chance of dying so maybe that's acceptable?

This article uses arguments against the QUALITY of the system to disprove the RELEVANCE. WTF?

Even if it was a $600 stick of bubble gum, as long as it's got its sales numbers then it is relevant. I completely agree that the camera is unnecessary. I completely agree that Nintendo should be putting more force into downloadable games than into the camera. In fact, I agree with pretty much every point made in this article. But that doesn't mean the DS is losing its relevance. The points made do not back up the initial claim.

P.S. Thanks

Considering those cute little "gimmicks"--the camera and the microphone and all that--are features that appeal to people who aren't as big into gaming (yet) and so are an open market? And how those people ARE buying DSis (and playing them with their friends; I passed some coworkers at lunch and they were all sitting together playing the newest Dragon Quest on their DSis)? And personally, I got into gaming again because I had a DS (and one of the coworkers I mentioned before went from just having a Wii to also getting a DSi and is now getting into gaming.)

Yeah, just because it doesn't appeal to the "hardcore" demographic does not mean it's not relevant.

This was a very poor piece, I think. It acts like the hardcore community is the only one who plays, and Nintendo is laughing all the way to the bank thanks to their new consumer base at that.

Apparently it doesn't need to be "Relevant". What makes a handheld "Relevant" anyway? Does it need to jump through your personal rant-hoops before it gets released to the public?
My reasoning is,
IT OWNS THE HAND HELD MARKET.

You try to explain away that other companies were had stuff floating around that made them lose focus but you hint that they were superior products. That doesn't make any sense. If it was truly better stuff then it would be sought after, being that those items are NOT being sought after and the DS/DSi is being bought that means that the market believes that the DS/DSi is a superior and attractive product. As long as the market behaves that way the DS/DSi will remain up top and out front.

"Consider the camera. Is this not exactly the sort of fragmentation that left the PSP's reputation in tatters before the PSPgo came along to refocus Sony's hand held ambitions? How many games are going to support the DSi's snapper, and how many of those games are going to be worth buying?"
Its made in Goddamn JAPAN, the land of "human tetris" and "binocular soccer", expect things to get random.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll2kajMH2u0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj7f3B1VCYM&feature=video_response
(^that's called support, get some)
Where are you coming across arrogance with Nintendo? They are working with stuff that is different than the PS3 and 360 and they still own a HUGE part of the market, that means its working. Why would you throw out an obvious winning formula just to appease some internet guttersnipes?

It makes business sense, if your making money off of it keep it rolling until it becomes unprofitable.

cobra_ky:
Software sells consoles.

Software sells consoles.

Software sells consoles.

as long as the DS has great games coming out for it, nintendo can package it with a ham sandwich and it will sell just fine.

And if they really do sell it with a ham sandwitch that would be great for the college market

feed me :(

It seems most of the points have been covered already so I'll just say...

Transitional mechanism. They like the camera and all those little features as well as a few games. Next console they buy may well be just for the games.

unfortunately, i think Nintendo losing its relevance.

I see the DSi as a very weak system. Most of us already have better cameras, better music players, etc. The only redeeming feature is its download service, which is currently shit, and shows no signs of changing. And THEN they take the GBA slot out.

Needless to say, I bought a DS Lite instead.

And no, the DS isn't losing relevance. Look at the sales numbers, it's handing every other company its collective ass.

No offense, but your article was so bad I don't know where to begin. In general, you're grasping at straws. Backing up your points could have helped.

Since your article was part about the camera elaborating on
"Consider the camera. Is this not exactly the sort of fragmentation that left the PSP's reputation in tatters before the PSPgo came along to refocus Sony's handheld ambitions?"
for example.

I don't own a traditional console. I haven't since my N64 from my freshman year of high school. I have a computer for real games and a handheld for things to do on the road.

I don't own a DSi. I probably never will. I do own a DS Lite, and I never seriously considered any of the other options. I think, deep down, the author knows that most people are in the same boat. If you want a real handheld, you get a DS. Arguing that the DS is losing relevance is more like arguing that handheld consoles are losing relevance, and that's been covered in another Escapist article: it's not, but gaming sites are ignoring the systems that people are actually playing, so it's easy to forget sometimes.

The DS harware is now 5 years old. I think it's time for a new handheld console from Nintendo soon, hopefully next year.

The DSi and the PSPGo are just crap, they removed some of their biggest features and swapped it out for another. DSi- GBA slot, PSPGo- UMD.

I didn't bother upgrading to either DSi or PSPGo, my DSLite is perfect, it plays GBA games and DS games so I can play whatever I want if I need it. (GBA used more even still than my DSLite)But their idea of an upgrade was to remove the GBA port add 2 cameras, an SD slot and an atrac3 and it's better? I really don't agree but my friends seem to enjoy it.

And the PSP go, I dunno where to start with that thing, I love my PSP2001 I started off with a jap PSP1000 when it first came out and the 2001 was amazing it had great upgrades and you couldn't really say anything was worse it was just generally improved in all fields. But the PSPGo has no UMD slot (which I'll sum up as I don't like digital distribute games).

This rant is all subject to opinion, I know plenty of people don't care if they have digtial games or a physical copy, or some just don't mind moving on from the GBA to the DS, so maybe it's just me feeling this strongly but I really feel like both systems made a mistake in the path they took.

all those sales are to casual gamers, just like wii sales! No Nintendo stopped being cool in my eyes when they stopped making game boy advance and gamecube games.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here