Science!: Black Holes, Night Vision and Garbage

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Science!: Black Holes, Night Vision and Garbage

Welcome to the debut issue of Science!, your weekly roundup of the latest scientific news. Please exercise caution when entering and exiting, and keep your hands and feet away from the edges.

Read Full Article

Good lord.

If Escapist keeps updating with all these new columns, I don't think I'll need my TV anymore.

AWESOME

I enjoyed the first story the best. Chlorophyl enhanced eyes, where do I sign up?

Also, can't we just throw all that trash into black holes?

Capo Taco:
I enjoyed the first story the best. Chlorophyl enhanced eyes, where do I sign up?

I'm with this guy. I'd love to be able to see color in the dark.

Nice

Keep 'em science articles coming. I love science!

Addendum; Lol at the scientists vs. public in the black hole piece =P!

Btw, I don't think black holes are 'nearly invisible', they ARE invisible. You can detect them by watching the effects of an alleged black hole on it's surroundings, thus not seeing it.

Great! Love it love it!

SCIENCE!: Other science columns

as

JESUS: Other hippies

Capo Taco:

A problem a solution in one article. Last resort: Sick our captured sprite swords on the trash.

Fun stuff, although the article about the swords was a little out of left field. One paragraph of that story had anything remotely science centric about it. I like how scientific research seems to have gone from "What can we study to make life better?" to "What can we study that would be really really cool?"

Sparrow:
Good lord.

If Escapist keeps updating with all these new columns, I don't think I'll need my TV anymore.

The only thing I use a television for is gaming. The internet replaced everything else I'd ever need from a television.

I agree, the sword story was a bit of a stretch. But, come on, SWORDS! I had to make it work in any way possible.

Wow, awesome new feature ! Only got to read the first one tonight, I'll read the rest tomorrow but this is great ! I didn't think clorophyll could enhance night vision.

Nice new column, but I'm not so sure about the tone.

I love this idea, slapping us with some knowledge every week. Keep it up.

Interesting. I suppose that until the eye drops come out, you could always squeeze plant juice into your eyes.

I did, however, find a guide on how to make homemade night vision goggles using an old disposable camera, some infrared lights, and something called an image intensifier tube, which apparently converts infrared light into electrons and then focuses that into photons...I think. Unfortunately, you do have to buy the tube, but it's only thirty dollars or so on e-bay.

best series ever. Text wise.

"Are you going to wear those sunglasses on a night mission?"

*Denton pulls out his chlorophyll eyedropper* "My vision is augmented."

Physicists wont be happy till they've doomed us all with their experiments. At least with us biologist you'll be able to see the mutant super intelligent lab rats coming because of the large ears on their backs.

Interesting article.

My only thoughts are about the sword article. I think the high quality of the swords he produced is more because of carbon remaining from burning dead tissue, not phosphorus, but I'm no expert on this, I guess someone eventually will prove me wrong.

Brilliant, I was expecting it to be overcomplicated and pretentious. Turns out I was wrong. Very wrong. Very wrong.

It was explained well and genuinely awesome, I look forward to all future installments.

*Gets Teary-Eyed* :Sniff: Video-Games; Anime reviews; Zero Punctuation; and now a science column?!! :Sniff, sniff: I've finally found my home. I'm just going to curl up into a little ball and bathe in the sunshine that is The Escapist.

Lauren Admire:
CERN was a gigantic facility built in France that hosted a Large Hadron Collider

Wait, I though CERN was in Switzerland and just very close to the French boarder? Not actually over it.

Awesome article. Please keep this up! The Escapist gets better every week :)

Capo Taco:

Because as it gained mass, the black hole would eventually consume more and more of whatever was around it. Sort of like a brother-in-law who "visits" for a "weekend" and eventually expands to the size of your fold-away guest bed while eating all the food in the house.

Seriously, that's exactly how Stephen Hawking described it. Only he did it with his cool speech synthesizer.

Also, huzzah for a new article! Will Lauren Admire reach those dizzying heights of scientific awesomeness inhabited by the likes of Mr. Wizard, Bill Nye and Beakman? Only time will tell!

Any article that has night vision eyedrops and the blackhole apocalypse is awesome

MUST CONSUME MORE SCIENCE! Bring on the science please Escapist. I love it!

PS: The plastic garbage story frightens me. Imagine the kinds of mutant crabs and squids that will be bred within those dark filthy garbage patches...

The end is SO nigh.

The Rogue Wolf:
*snip*

Also, huzzah for a new article! Will Lauren Admire reach those dizzying heights of scientific awesomeness inhabited by the likes of Mr. Wizard, Bill Nye and Beakman? Only time will tell!

Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill Nye the science guy!

Couldn't resist, we watched a few of his videos in biology a couple of years ago, they were hilarious.

The link on the black hole one leads to a dead page...Interesting column though.

I was really hoping for a big photo of a texas-sized plastic/rubbish island... could just make a big sign saying FOR SHAME! out of coloured plastics so it could be seen from the air.

Yay, science!

bodyklok:
Wait, I though CERN was in Switzerland and just very close to the French boarder? Not actually over it.

Nice catch, you're right, it's just on the border near Geneva.

The Escapist entertains me so...

When's the last time I watched television?

Awesome. I want to see more.
That is all.

Wow... Now I know what I want done with my body.
Heh, imagine a knife with the soul of a paedophile in it. Used by an assassin who likes to stab little boys from behind. >.>

Lauren Admire:

bodyklok:

Nice catch, you're right, it's just on the border near Geneva.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH RRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIGGGGHHHHHHT!~??!

Score another one for the Klok-Man!

...Ahhh, I've got too much homework to do... well at lest this kept me distracted for 5 minutes.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here