Science!: Black Holes, Night Vision and Garbage

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Doktor Merkwurdigliebe:

008Zulu:

be able to throw fireballs

Now THIS is what scientists should be interested in.

Oh, we try. It is just not exactly easy to do the physics behind are more difficult to achieve than creating a black hole at CERN.

OT: Excellent idea with a science column. Looking forward to the next instalment.

Love the new column! Kudos Lauren!

This was actually really nice I guess I have to go hunt me some dragon fish >:D

I liked the sword part and found it odd because about 7 years ago I had decided when I die I want to have my ashes put into a sword. Perhaps now it's not so much as a wish as a possibility
^^

They say you need to move faster than the speed of light to escape the black hole but you can't go faster than that so we can just resort to futurama tactics and increase the speed of light.

This will be my new Bill Nye

Lauren Admire:
I agree, the sword story was a bit of a stretch. But, come on, SWORDS! I had to make it work in any way possible.

Indeed, a bit out of the blue, but you're right! There's a guy out there making swords out of bones! Someone has to talk about it!

Anyway, I love your writing style, and I'm such a geek for such science articles. How often will these get released?
Also, ANOTHER column! The Escapist has so many columns now that I just spend more time reading the Escapist than all my other RSS feeds combined. I love it.

Silva:
Hmm, it says that "we would have already seen such a disaster if it was possible", though. Under "Dangers". So no fireworks for us, "sadly".

Oh shush. I'll be terrified if I want to be.

Lauren Admire:
Please exercise caution when entering and exiting, and keep your hands and feet away from the edges.

Read Full Article

If I didn't always read the warnings afterwards this column wouldn't have cost me a foot!
OT: Great new addition; a definite keeper!!!

imitation black holes?

Sounds awesum.

looks like I'll be forced to read it every week

slightly expected the term "resonance cascade" to be used somewhere in the article

That was a pretty awesome article. I must say, Lauren, I really... admire it.

*rimshot*

Lauren Admire:
CERN: NO WAI! YOU GUYZ R DUM LOL THE BLACK HOLE WUD BE SO SMALL IT WUD COLLAPSE IN ON ITSELF MROW.

How did you get a copy of this transcript? Only a select few were invited and we were told not to let anybody know what went on.

samsonguy920:

Lauren Admire:
I agree, the sword story was a bit of a stretch. But, come on, SWORDS! I had to make it work in any way possible.

I like the thought of preserving the memory of a loved one in something actually utilitarian, especially cool like a sword. What else might one use a deceased relatives remains to help create?

You know, this sword article goes really well with the news about that college kid slaying a burglar with his katana. Defeat your enemies and then trap their souls for eternity!

Kudos for a very interesting and enjoyable article!

One thing, though...

CERN is a gigantic facility built on the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva that hosts a Large Hadron Collider, a machine that basically throws tiny particles at each other at incredibly high speeds. When the particles collide, there's just the tiniest chance that a black hole could be created. The conversation between us and the researchers at CERN went thusly:
PETTY HUMANS: BLACK HOLES ARE BAD AND MAYBE WE SHOULDN'T BRING ABOUT THE APOCALYPSE IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE.
CERN: NO WAI! YOU GUYZ R DUM LOL THE BLACK HOLE WUD BE SO SMALL IT WUD COLLAPSE IN ON ITSELF MROW.
Well, apparently you can't have too many black hole-creating machines.

No, actually the conversation's more along the lines of:

PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T LISTEN IN SCHOOL: "Black holes are bad and maybe we shouldn't bring about the apocalypse in the name of science."
PEOPLE WHO DID THE RESEARCH AND KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT: "Yeah... it doesn't work that way. Look, actual calculations."

The point is that black holes aren't magic vacuum cleaners; their gravity is entirely dependent on their mass, and a black hole resulting from the collision of two protons has the mass of two protons. A black hole the mass of the earth - were such a thing possible - would have an identical gravity field to Earth, and even that wouldn't work.

The theory is quite complicated, but the bottom line is this: if the Daily Mail or Fox News are panicking about it, it's fairly safe to ignore it.

Lauren Admire:

scifidownbeat:
I quite admire your article, Lauren! Ha-ha-ha, heh heh...

I love me some puns!

Oh man, I just got flashbacks to middle school.

Oops... :/

Sorry if I resurfaced any suppressed memories...

randommaster:

Lauren Admire:

How did you get a copy of this transcript? Only a select few were invited and we were told not to let anybody know what went on.

samsonguy920:

Lauren Admire:

I like the thought of preserving the memory of a loved one in something actually utilitarian, especially cool like a sword. What else might one use a deceased relatives remains to help create?

You know, this sword article goes really well with the news about that college kid slaying a burglar with his katana. Defeat your enemies and then trap their souls for eternity!

Okay, I just have to say it......you ninja'd my idea!

Lauren Admire:

And I'm glad you did, that article was awesome, they were all good, but I now want my body to be used in the making of a fine sword when I die. And then that sword will be kept in the family for generations to come. Better than wasting valuable grave space.

Great new column! I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to the next issue.

I don't mind the article about swords.

samsonguy920:

randommaster:

Lauren Admire:

samsonguy920:

Lauren Admire:

Okay, I just have to say it......you ninja'd my idea!

I will now trap that idea in a sword that will be used instead of my wit.

For those wondering about the effect of phosphorus on steel, here's the hard science.

Articles--the new video?

And I thought you were gonna talk about swords made of bones. I was perplexed. Though not all that heavy on the science, come to think of it. More a reference to what science is doing. And I thought there were other ways to activate the cones in your eyes that already existed? Not well enough to process light, but enough to percieve distinct dimensions?

scifidownbeat:
I quite admire your article, Lauren! Ha-ha-ha, heh heh...

I love me some puns!

The poor thing is subjected to enough horrific puns as is...don't make it worse!

...That said...you only wrote about CERN because they use "SQUIDS," amirite? :P

silver scribbler:

Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill Nye the science guy!

Couldn't resist, we watched a few of his videos in biology a couple of years ago, they were hilarious.

Bill Nye kicks more ass than any other scientist on Earth.

That....Was....Awesome!

I really enjoyed reading that....i must find said eye drops....

Lauren Admire:
Science!: Black Holes, Night Vision and Garbage

Welcome to the debut issue of Science!, your weekly roundup of the latest scientific news. Please exercise caution when entering and exiting, and keep your hands and feet away from the edges.

Read Full Article

First of all, I love your name (or admire, if you will (bet you hear that all the time))

Anyway, love the column, where can I sign up for nightvision chlorophyll?

brilliant, brilliant stuff. I'll definitely follow this one.

btw, justnotcricket rocks. [/shameless flirt]

This is awesome. Escapist Magazine should be providing us more of this.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here