Zero Punctuation: Batman Arkham Asylum

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

They probably just phone him if they need him during the day. Probably rude to ring him at night, he might be sleeping. That would be the worst super hero ever, one that only comes if he's up anyway.

Okay guys, don't get your hopes up too much.

PC version has a nasty, nasty bug. It happens to almost everyone - after rescuing Gordon (don't worry, it's before even Scarecrow, so it's pretty early into the game) OR a bit later, depending on your luck, the game will give a General Protection Fault and crash.

So either wait for a fix, crack-fix (hey, I wouldn't be surprised if the hackers fixed this before the devs do) or a miracle. Or play on Xbox/PS3.

Hehe great review, great game as well, tough it might get anoying once you don't know where to go -.-

Gonna enjoy this friday, then, when I lay my hands on Arkham Asylum PC and get to play it in 1920x1200 at 60fps.

Abedeus:

PC version has a nasty, nasty bug. It happens to almost everyone - after rescuing Gordon (don't worry, it's before even Scarecrow, so it's pretty early into the game) OR a bit later, depending on your luck, the game will give a General Protection Fault and crash.

PC version is working fine for me. Guess I'm lucky

runtheplacered:

Abedeus:

PC version is working fine for me.

What GPU are you using/where are you in the game?

I've noticed that mainly the GeForce cards are making the game crash, Radeons not so much.

Ah, It looks like a batman game that might actually turn out to be some fun. I no longer trust any of the reviews from official magazines or the internet in general. If Yahtzee likes it then its probably not crap.

And I am certain its going to be much better than that PS2 batman game. Seriously! That was like playing as a midget, beating up a stupidly large number of slightly different coloured midgets, around a maze you can only view through a telescope. Oh an occasional green mist whenever you encounter the scarecrow. It was about as immersive as a black and white Wizard of Oz.

Abedeus:

runtheplacered:

Abedeus:

I've noticed that mainly the GeForce cards are making the game crash, Radeons not so much.

I've finished the game on normal and am now playing through again on Hard. And it is in fact a Radeon 4850.

great review for a great game. I've played through it and I do wish the boss fights were better. They never do Bane justice with the fights - I mean the dude broke killer crocs arms without breaking too much of a sweat.

I'm a total bat geek btw.

Having said that, Batman's villains were never going to stand a chance in a one on one battle against the greatest martial artist to ever have lived! with the exception of croc and bane which they did screw up.

But honestly it's a damned good game and all the praises at the beginning of the review MORE than make up for the bad stuff.

Oh and one last thing, in the stealth sections. There are times where you will drop DIRECTLY next to a thug and he won't see you. Or grapple to a higher ledge and fly across his vision and he won't see you. Thats a little silly but it's batman and he can do anything so that makes it cool

runtheplacered:

Abedeus:

runtheplacered:

Abedeus:

I've finished the game on normal and am now playing through again on Hard. And it is in fact a Radeon 4850.

Then this must be it.

9800GT here and I can't play right now. Must be a Nvidia-specific issue.

Brilliant.

I haven't played Arkham Asylum yet, but I probably will.

About the riddle, Batman is less effective during the day so no one needs him then. I am holding out for a mod that allows me to play as Bein.

How are there still people that post the second after the thread is started!?

I found it odd that all of Batman's enemies have a penchant for gasing you in some way or another.

As I'm sure a lot of people agree the most fantastic bit in the whole game was the Scarecrow section which came close to breaking the fourth wall.

PS2MAN:
Holy crap nice riddle. How would u signal Batman during the day!

Don't be silly. There's no day in Gotham City.

On topic that was probably your best since the Duke Nukem one.

This is quite a good review. Something told me you would like it. I just expected more torturing of mooks.

How do they summon him during the day?

Well, there's the Batphone, the Batmail, the Battwitter, the MyBatSpace, the BatPostie and if all else fails, Commissioner Gordon wanders up to the roof and just says "BOY, I'M GLAD BATMAN ISN'T HERE AT THE MOMENT TO SEE ME EATING THIS TWINKIE!"

I'm glad he pointed out the faults, but I'm still gonna get this.

That kitten bit was too much though! I love kitties! And I hate it when their parents die and they emote humanly. It makes me so sad I wanna kill myself, moreso than usual.

great game and great review

and evryone knows that batman villains are always in hospital uring the day

oecumenix:
Well I didn't expect a rapturous reception, but for Yahtzee that's a pretty damn good review. And, as always, pretty much on the money.

I'd never thought about the bat-light thing before, but presumably Gotham villains work mostly at night (as real-life villains do).

They use the Bat-Phone.

That's it. That was the final nail in the coffin that contained my doubts of Arkham. With a glowing (by his standards) review of Batman, I am now placing this game in the number one spot on the games to get list when I get a current-gen console.

Abedeus:

So either wait for a fix, crack-fix (hey, I wouldn't be surprised if the hackers fixed this before the devs do) or a miracle. Or play on Xbox/PS3.

How about buying the game?
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175985

That said, one of the best Action Adventures I played this generation.

On the Detective mode Issue. I assume you cant fight or do any of the cool stealth stuff in Detective mode, which would make sense as its hard to notice the heartbeat and footfalls of a guy in the next room when all you can hear is the nearest thugs face break. and I doubt even batman can swing between 2 legdes while noticing that there is an air duct in the corner of the room. so while I understand that detective mode is good to have I also see how it needs to only be used in quiet stealth areas.

Sadly gonna have to wait for the bargain version in a couple of months once I can afford a new xbox

It's strange a lot of people are saying "hmm I think I might try it now". What? The universal praise thats been around for a few weeks not good enough?

OR THE DEMO? (although come to think of it it was kind of short with only half the gameplay elements shown... whatever)

Since B:AA did the character justice, can we expect a Extra Punctuation naming and shaming those that don't... IE movie tie-ins.

You can tell that he loves a game, when he use more than one sentence to say positive things about it and not just a in-all-fairness-it-was-quite-good line on the end of the review.

Wait, he liked a game? In over 100 episodes, he couldn't possibly have liked more than 3 or 4 games. Now I'm going to have to check this game out.

Good job on the review. I appreciate you making a point that, despite the small gripes you had with it, you really did like the game. Some other reviews where I thought you liked the game, it wasn't clear, because you spent so much time on the little gripes that it made it seem like you hated it, even though you summed it up by saying none of that really mattered. Time spent on something definitely influences its perceived importance.

Looks like im getting Arkham Asylum.

And no i don't base my game purchases on Yahtzee's reviews, if that were the case id have like 3 games.

Great work, keep it up.

Had a feeling this review would be more positive than others - not even he is immune to the ability to say "I'm Batman." And 100 percent agreement on the "I'm afraid it's only just begun" part. Anyone else remember the bit in the first Spider-Man film where the Green Goblin gets knocked askew on his glider, and flies away saying "We'll meet again, Spider-Man!" with no hints of parody? That ruined the entire film.

But oh well - glad to hear positive reinforcement of the game from one of the harshest of critics, and yet another reason for me to keep saving up for it.

Loved the review, but this still only merits a rental to me. After learning that Call of Duty 4 WASN'T the game I'd be playing for years and years after its release, I became only slightly disillusioned.

Looks like I've found my next game. Great review, but I was a little taken back by the box art comment. Box art, really?

Damn, and here I was hoping Yahtzee would mention how frustrating combat was, what with the random baddies who could block all your attacks, thus breaking the combo flow. Or that Batman moves not how you direct him to, but rather that the player gives suggestions and Batman gets to it when he wants to. And the dodging...well, lets not have Batman do simple sidesteps and rolls, no lets have him jump out of the way for dear life so you have to then run BACK to the badguy you dodged to smack him.

I liked Arkham, it was a fun game with awesome voice acting (Kevin Conroy's voice could melt butter), but it was not as tight and well thought out as it could have been.

Seriously, the stun baton baddies: Batman CAN'T POSSIBLY hit them in a place the baton isn't?!

Can't believe Yahtzee didn't mention the stupid riddler-questions. :o

Ugh, is it just my computer or does the server as an overload or something?
i cant seem to get the video to start =/ and the whole site is just black bars at both sides.
the site is barely loading.

Heisenberg:

Abedeus:

You, my good sir, are a moron.

You read just the "nasty bug" and thought this is about GLIDING? Hohoho.

People on official forums report this problems, and I doubt 4 pages of complains are all from pirated copies. Or even half, or a quarter.

Heisenberg:

Abedeus:

Thats a deliberate glitch affecting gameplay, what Abedus is talking about is a straight out crash due to some conflict with some Nvidia graphic cards.

I'm a little surprised. I heard this was a game where one could play as Joker and I expected to hear at least a little as to whether that was good or not. I'm glad to hear the game is overall great, but I was more interested in hearing about the Joker segments because, as you said, Batman is the least interesting person in whatever he's in. That's what all the insane villains are for.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here