Lapping Up Apple's Sloppy Seconds

Lapping Up Apple's Sloppy Seconds

Apple is in the game and Fieldrunners is the proof.

Read Full Article

...Hold on a moment... This entire article appears to me to be boasting about losing a previously exclusive title. That doesn't strike me as a good thing.

Something has gone horribly, horribly wrong with Pocket Gamer's approach, I fear - I've been noticing the Apple bias since that badly-thought-out DS relevance article a while back.

They have been in the game since the app store opened and allowed individuals to create anything for that potential of profit and being their own business.

Apple is closer to relating themselves towards Atari and the other consoles of the second generation where anyone can create a game and distribute their game. The massive wave of quantity ensures that a group will want to buy games from the app store. A lot of the founding games were just re-releases of PC and mobile games with a small few being created from the ground up.

EDIT: Okay I'm just going to outright say it. Stop writing about Apple making them look like a leader against the other handhelds. Is there really no company or individual that can be interviewed and get their thoughts, feelings and most importantly philosophy of the handheld market? That would make a much better article than the constant article after article on the iphone.

The iphone is a nice product but cmon you have held the escapist down and started beating us with the "point" about apple and their product is so good.

This is like saying that the PC is a viable platform and is still in the game because "N" got ported to the DS and PSP as N+. This isn't even a real argument. It is bias to a nauseating degree.

I hope apple at least paid you for that.

you are missing the point here, the iphone is not "just a phone" maybe you dont like it as lets say i dont like the wii i prefer the ps3 but that doesn't make the wii a non gaming console, konami has game in the iphone, EA has games in the iphone, its a portable console as the zune HD will be soon.

What a deliciously suggestive title for the article, that in know way gave me images of Jack Tretton going down on a recent, erm... victim of Steve Jobs.

Well, Sony said it before that they're trying to rope in Apple's developers to make a shitton of apps for the Go, so this isn't really all that unexpected.

milomalo:
you are missing the point here, the iphone is not "just a phone" maybe you dont like it as lets say i dont like the wii i prefer the ps3 but that doesn't make the wii a non gaming console, konami has game in the iphone, EA has games in the iphone, its a portable console as the zune HD will be soon.

Using "oh well this game is being ported to the other handhelds" as an argument that the iPhone is a viable gaming platform makes no sense because it happens all the time and Fieldrunners is, at its core a Tower Defense game which is something that has been done before on The DS anyway. And the iPhone is and will always be a phone no matter how you gussy it up, just like the NGage. It's also expensive like the NGage.

Also it'd probably help if Apple wasn't being so arrogant in their belief they have the upper hand on Sony and Nintendo. I am no fan of Sony and I'm pretty sure even the PSPGo could beat the iPhone. As for Nintendo, I'll just point out that in the past 20 years 10 other handhelds tried and failed to beat them. Sony I give credit to for being able to stand with them on a relatively equal footing and stay in the market.

Okay, so apart from everything else wrong with the article, Fieldrunners simply isn't that great. It's a nicely presented tower defense game, sure, but it's not the best TD game I've played. It's not even in the top 3. That's your poster child? I was suprised to see it in your best of iPhone roundup, honestly. I would have thought the platform had come further in the 12 months (or more) since FR was released.

Also, learn to write. We come to the escapist expecting good, well-researched content.

The words "lapping up" and "sloppy seconds" should never appear in the same sentence. Just...ew.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here