Science!: Raptorex, The Beatles and WTF

Pages PREV 1 2

MajoraPersona:

randommaster:

MajoraPersona:
So, if you put a cat in a box, and have poison trip-wired, and the wire is broken by a radioactive substance, the cat is theoretically both alive and dead?

I've rationalized the Schrodinger's Cat concept by deciding that the man knew next to nothing about biology.

I wonder what his definition of 'dead' was. Like, brain dead, not breathing, no pulse, or simply locked in an air-tight box with poison and radioactive chemicals? Whichever it was, when he opened the box, he'd either have a dead cat or a dead cat and a very angry cat lady.

The experiment wasn't meant to actually be tested since putting a cat in a sealed box will kill it even if there's no poison. The point of the cat was that you don't know if the substance has decayed, but the only way to know would be to open the box. Opening the box is analogous to disrupting the conditions for superposition. As long as the box is sealed, the cat is superpositioned, but checking disrupts the superpositioning.

Also, Sokar hates Schrodinger.

Was Schrodinger alive before the time of the geiger counters and glass windows?

You know what? Forget it. Quantum physics makes no sense to me, I'll stick with using my imagination to create whole worlds that both exist and don't simultaneously. That way I can ignore this whole cat thing.

I think you're confusing the thought experiment with an actual experiment. The point isn't to see if the cat dies, but to demonstrate the nature of superposition.

But yeah, quantum physics usually makes as much logical sense as magic to most people.

More Fun To Compute:
2. Schrödinger's cat is an understandable thought experiment that offers an insight into how quantum physics works. Actually, it was devised as an example of the absurdity of contemporary quantum physics theories that were developed in such a way as to accommodate the fact that you cannot take measurements without affecting the experiment.

Yeah, by that time Schrödinger actually hated his own theory (or what it had become).

That double-slit thing was good, but I don't like this idea of an observer affecting things. It is not because someone observes something that it collapses into a state, it is because an instrument is used to measure it and you can't observe a particle in a fluctuating state. You get one of the states it is possible to be in, then repeat the experiment several times to find the probabilities of the particle being in the different states. I guess the cat-in-a-box idea would be more apt if the cat was fluctuating between an alive and dead state (creepy, no?).

MajoraPersona:
So, if you put a cat in a box, and have poison trip-wired, and the wire is broken by a radioactive substance, the cat is theoretically both alive and dead?

I've rationalized the Schrodinger's Cat concept by deciding that the man knew next to nothing about biology.

I wonder what his definition of 'dead' was. Like, brain dead, not breathing, no pulse, or simply locked in an air-tight box with poison and radioactive chemicals? Whichever it was, when he opened the box, he'd either have a dead cat or a dead cat and a very angry cat lady.

It's a thought experiment, so introducing common sense doesn't really make sense. The cat is just an analogy for the simultaneously decayed and non-decayed isotope.

"However, the box is completely sealed and you can't look into it. Since you cannot know whether the cat is alive, you must assume that the cat is simultaneously dead and alive"

Calculate the dimensions of the box, the amount of oxygen inside, look up how much oxygen a cat uses and voila; the cat is definedly dead by hypoxia soon enough.
It's not a very well constructed experiment...
Also, the cat will definitely be alive because I will call Animalk Services before it can die. :P

*Sighs happily* Every time I read or hear of a news story on Quantum Physics, I am transported to a happy land filled with the sounds of "Particle Man" as I play dice with God and stick my tongue out at Einstein.

And I swear, my friend and I have some of the most intense discussions on Schrodinger's cat whenever its brought up. Thanks for adding more fuel to the fire, Lauren. LOL

Oh yes, quantum physics.

My visit to CERN was both wasted and best spent money ever.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here