Review: Halo: ODST

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Review: Halo: ODST

The good news is that Halo: ODST is more of what you love about Halo. That's also the bad news.

Read Full Article

Curious, I've read the campaign is roughly 4 hours on Normal, and watching the video it looked as if that was the mode you were playing (that or they really made it easier to kill things in Heroic).

The overall impression I've heard is that this game just isn't worth $60, so I'm going to hold off for a bit even though I honestly do want to give it a whirl.

Im not the one person to bother with Halo. As long as the game is long (Wich ccesarano implies is only four hours). Mostly i dont even care about multiplayer wich this game seems to lack. Or does it?

Its Orbital Drop Shock Troopers i Thought...

"Orbital Drop Ship Troopers"

Yeh stopped reading there. If you cant remember the title of the game your reviewing then no ones going to take your opinion seriously.

Incidentally can I remind you of the old proverb "if it aint broke don't fix it"

This seems like it should be cheaper than $60, but it looks like fun.
I'll just have to wait for a price drop.

Molten Water:

your right, its SHOCK troopers not SHIP troopers. He just said it wrong

Halo 3 ODST: More generic plot line, more ten-year-olds shrieking over X-Box Live, and more gameplay that's been done better elsewhere.

Can't wait.

Stubee:

Yeh stopped reading there. If you cant remember the title of the game your reviewing then no ones going to take your opinion seriously.

Haha...I guess the game didn't leave much of an impression on Pitt's...making you wonder if its worth the purchase?

Stubee:
Incidentally can I remind you of the old proverb "if it aint broke don't fix it"

That is the problem...the game sounds more like a DLC or expansion than a title worth being sold separately at full price.

Still...that won't stop the die hard fans...

Ohten:
Halo 3 ODST: More generic plot line, more ten-year-olds shrieking over X-Box Live, and more gameplay that's been done better elsewhere.

Can't wait.

The biggest problem i have with the game is that it has a high price tag even though it's really just a level pack with a new story for Halo 3. According to the review, there are NO new enemy's!

Hardcore_gamer:
The biggest problem i have with the game is that it has a high price tag even though it's really just a level pack with a new story for Halo 3. According to the review, there are NO new enemy's!

Yeah. It seems the order of the day lately is charging full price for something that ought to be a $15 expansion pack. Thank EA and Activision for making it cool by releasing the same game every year with a couple minor touch ups and shinier graphics.

Molten Water:

Yeah, that was my bad. Mea culpa. "Drop shock troopers" is so ghey, my mind refused to accept it. Apologies to anyone who considers this a terminal error.

Stubee:

Wow, do you make a living pointing out irrelevent nitpicks or is it just a hobby? ;)

Good review I can't wait to pick up this game today.

Russ Pitts:
Yeah, that was my bad. Mea culpa. "Drop shock troopers" is so ghey, my mind refused to accept it. Apologies to anyone who considers this a terminal error.

The games title is NOT meant to appeal to the fanatic 12 yr old demographic :P

Hardcore_gamer:

Ohten:

Can't wait.

There aren't new enemies, but there's harder versions of the enemies already in halo.

It is "orbital drop shock troopers", but hey. The game is alright. I have it, Just came out this morning. Firefight is amazingly fun. :D

Looks worth buying. Solid campaign fan and it will be nice to get all the maps for Halo 3. A pitty it couldn't be more inventive. Halo 3 seems positively revolutionary compared to this. At least halo 3 introduced bubble shields and other items, forge etc. All this game seems to have is that horde mode thing which was in gears 2 wasn't it?

*bows head in respect to THE MAN*
just as i thought - halo 3 again, just with a couple different guns and a naturally harder difficulty

If it weren't priced for the most efficient gouging of impressionable Halo fans, I might consider picking this up, if I knew it required more tactical thinking than the usual Master Chief/Arbiter wade-into-enemy-fire-guns-blazing procedure. This being Halo, however, I'm sure even the fragile ODST troopers regenerate their health pretty quickly.

Shhhh.....you had me at "it has Nathan Fillion."

The good news is that Halo: ODST is more of what you love about Halo. That's also the bad news.

Wait, they're shipping an empty box?

BlueInkAlchemist:
If it weren't priced for the most efficient gouging of impressionable Halo fans, I might consider picking this up, if I knew it required more tactical thinking than the usual Master Chief/Arbiter wade-into-enemy-fire-guns-blazing procedure. This being Halo, however, I'm sure even the fragile ODST troopers regenerate their health pretty quickly.

Actually they brought back the health system.

05rutterb:

There aren't new enemies, but there's harder versions of the enemies already in halo.

Heh.

Well that's not very creative. Harder versions of the same enemy's don't count as new enemy's in my book.

KDR_11k:

Wait, they're shipping an empty box?

That made me laugh ALOT, yes, must be!

Hardcore_gamer:

05rutterb:

Heh.

Well that's not very creative. Harder versions of the same enemy's don't count as new enemy's in my book.

one thing i'll say about the enemy's is that the A.I. is far FAR better. firefight feels like a different game with the same visuals.

"This is what Bungie does, and they do it better than anyone else."

What, make a very floaty shooter for the largest niche of gamers(Halo fanboys) and copy and paste the multiplayer a few times while ignoring the importance of a single-player campaign? I mean, you said it yourself, the single player could be considered more of a "training grounds" for the multiplayer. Sorry, but I'll stick to Unreal if I want a decent floaty multiplayer game that doesn't require you to shell out ten bucks if you want to play more than one type of multiplayer.

Ooh an overpriced multiplayer game with a "will this do" single player campaign where do i sign up.

muffincakes:

What, make a very floaty shooter for the largest niche of gamers(Halo fanboys) and copy and paste the multiplayer a few times while ignoring the importance of a single-player campaign? I mean, you said it yourself, the single player could be considered more of a "training grounds" for the multiplayer. Sorry, but I'll stick to Unreal if I want a decent floaty multiplayer game that doesn't require you to shell out ten bucks if you want to play more than one type of multiplayer.

What forces you to type a paragraph just to bash a game that isn't out yet for a well known series? A game being popular, debatably overly so, is no excuse to enter troll mode every time it's mentioned.

On topic I'll wait for some gameplay videos to come out for the silenced smg sections to see how important stealth actually is, as that seems to be the biggest difference between this and halo 3.

"More of what you love about Halo" - seriously the only other game series that can shamelessly get away with packing the exact same features every time is Mario.

EDIT: Oh and Bungie are some of the worst and most boring/unoriginal developers there is.

hypothetical fact:

muffincakes:

What forces you to type a paragraph just to bash a game that isn't out yet for a well known series? A game being popular, debatably overly so, is no excuse to enter troll mode every time it's mentioned.

On topic I'll wait for some gameplay videos to come out for the silenced smg sections to see how important stealth actually is, as that seems to be the biggest difference between this and halo 3.

Well, first off, the game has been released. Second, I did not bash the game, I merely pointed out certain characteristics about the other games which are true, and that I disagree with(the games are floaty, and the multiplayer is recylcled[although that could be said about any game]). Third, the only reason I stated my opinions in the manner that I did was because of the way Russ said that Bungie was the best at what they do, which is a biased opinion based on high sales figures.

The only troll here is you, for trying to start an argument when one is not needed or necessary. If you disagree with my opinions, fine, to each his own. But don't try to shoot down my opinions an act like you are the high and mighty enforcer; all you are going to do is start trouble.

meh... if there is nothing new about Odst there will be no point of buying it, since the original game was just like Ut 2004 with 10 times more health in the multiplayer mode.
By the way, Halo has not changed gaming history, it has been more of a step in the wrong direction of the console fps

muffincakes:
... because of the way Russ said that Bungie was the best at what they do, which is a biased opinion based on high sales figures.

Or perhaps, and I'm just throwing this out there, his opinion is based on his personal experience playing first person shooters?

Susan Arendt:

muffincakes:
... because of the way Russ said that Bungie was the best at what they do, which is a biased opinion based on high sales figures.

Or perhaps, and I'm just throwing this out there, his opinion is based on his personal experience playing first person shooters?

Well fine, I'll give you that, and I apologize to Russ for my assumption. However, most reviewers seem to be afraid to criticize Halo because it is so popular, so they make statements like his. Again, my mistake. *Hopes no mods were offended and hides*

Susan Arendt:

muffincakes:

Don't bother, it's rather tiresome to convince Halo-haters to think otherwise. They'll always pull that stuff out right back at you. It's best just to avoid them.

EDIT: Scratch that, I see he apologized... guess I should too. I've just grown to stray away from "Halo sucks" comments in every form. The people that make them usually don't take it back.

More on topic, this basically just made me look forward to the game more. I'm a bit overly fond of the Halo story, and I've wanted a very, VERY long time to be able to play as an ODST. And the fact that three of them will be Mal, Wash, and Jayne just make it all the better.

muffincakes:

Susan Arendt:

muffincakes:

Well fine, I'll give you that, and I apologize to Russ for my assumption. However, most reviewers seem to be afraid to criticize Halo because it is so popular, so they make statements like his. Again, my mistake. *Hopes no mods were offended and hides*

We're not most reviewers. :)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 64770)