Zero Punctuation: Beatles Rock Band and Guitar Hero 5

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I loved the turn of phrase, "garish conveyor belts". and yes, I couldn't help but think that with all this great art on the screen, all I was looking at was the fucking note highway. but I still liked the game.

I hate to be a "dick" but I'm fairly sure that's not how you pronounce "indictment"...

Good reviews as usual, though. (Much better without the silly accents and rhyming.)

Awsome funny

Haha good review. I was never a fan of Guitar hero. Whenever I wanted to play air-guitar, I'd just stand in front of the mirror.

Yahtzee's just bitching to hear himself bitch with this review. How can he criticize the game for having you play a guitar part that sounds "suspiciously like a cello," then question why they didn't include "Elenor Rigby." Everyone knows that "Elenor Rigby" has no rock instruments at all, right? No guitar. No bass. No drums. Just two string quartets. Yahtzee is not the Beatles fan he claims to be.

ExistentialCrisis:
I fully sympathize with the "larval form of classic rock snob". I annoy the hell out of my friends all the time with my constant references to bands that were "modern" well before our birth years. Heck, I even wow my folks sometimes and they grew up listening to the stuff!

Come to think of it...how about some Rock Band: Pink Floyd next? Or Rock Band: King Crimson? Or Rock Band: Deep Purple?

Regardless, nice review. I always like the ones that manage to balance interesting commentary and snide, referential jokes.

I'm holding out for Rock Band: Gentle Giant, myself.

I've never given a flying shit about guitar hero or rockband and really think that the big hype around then will only last another year at most until they die off. I also still feel like everyone who is into those games are fat delusional nerds who have no actual talent to show off. But then again, that could describe a lot of the gamer population... lol

Riding on Thermals:
AHA! For someone who's made their career off of the nitpicking of a genre rife with overrated mediocrity you don't even take the tiniest swing at the Beatles themselves...

For that and that alone, this review has failed.

1. He's a Beatles fan himself, I think. He wrote very kindly of them on his site.

2. How can you say the Beatles are overrated? Or are you even saying that? Your comment is a little hard to follow.

Good review, I myself love Beatles Rock Band.

I have got to stop eating when I watch these. Stuff hurts when it comes out my nose ^^;

The Beatles suck.

This one seemed kind of thinly spread though, but then again i guess, as you said all those years back, it's kind of hard to review a guitar hero game, so in hindsight it's kind of perplexing that you have done 2 more of those since that point.

Interestingly enough, Yahtzee, that character model you made of yourself as a "Classic Rock Snob" is actually quite closer to what you really look like compared to your usual animated self.

I always thought Yahtzee would hate the Guitar Hero / Rock Band franchise, since it's basically one big quicktime event.

Magic Muffin Man:

Riding on Thermals:
AHA! For someone who's made their career off of the nitpicking of a genre rife with overrated mediocrity you don't even take the tiniest swing at the Beatles themselves...

1. He's a Beatles fan himself, I think. He wrote very kindly of them on his site.

2. How can you say the Beatles are overrated? Or are you even saying that? Your comment is a little hard to follow.

As he mentioned in a previous episode he is a critic. And there are a few instances of him praising games in his reviews, but he can still point out some flaws. Holy shit, Yahtzee was biologically engineered to bitch (read: criticize) about inadequacies and yet he can't find one negative thing to say about the Beatles? I understand he's a fan, but there wasn't even a hint of critique. There wasn't even a throw-away joke about lack of drum support because no one wants to play Ringo. Ultimately, I'm saying that Yahtzee missed the opportunity to do to The Beatles what he did to Halo 3 (i.e. take them down a peg).

On the same train of thought: yes, I believe The Beatles are an overrated band. They were very important to the development of rock, and they "explored" many sounds but I don't think they deserve the almost universal ball-sucking they get from everyone with functional hearing. The culture they gave rise to is more important than the actual music they produced. Also, I don't particularly like them. Feel free to call them your favorite band, just don't assert that they are the BEST band ever like so many people do.

Riding on Thermals:

Magic Muffin Man:

Riding on Thermals:

As he mentioned in a previous episode he is a critic. And there are a few instances of him praising games in his reviews, but he can still point out some flaws. Holy shit, Yahtzee was biologically engineered to bitch (read: criticize) about inadequacies and yet he can't find one negative thing to say about the Beatles? I understand he's a fan, but there wasn't even a hint of critique. There wasn't even a throw-away joke about lack of drum support because no one wants to play Ringo. Ultimately, I'm saying that Yahtzee missed the opportunity to do to The Beatles what he did to Halo 3 (i.e. take them down a peg).

On the same train of thought: yes, I believe The Beatles are an overrated band. They were very important to the development of rock, and they "explored" many sounds but I don't think they deserve the almost universal ball-sucking they get from everyone with functional hearing. The culture they gave rise to is more important than the actual music they produced. Also, I don't particularly like them. Feel free to call them your favorite band, just don't assert that they are the BEST band ever like so many people do.

Perhaps because Yahtzee is reviewing the game and not the band itself?

I actually bought GH5 weeks before this review came out, and I thought it was pretty good. Not spectacular, or anything though. Probably not worth the forty bucks, but that's where the free copy of GH Van Halen comes in. And even if it sucks, it's free. And I only played Beatles Rock Band in the form of a store demo, but the guitars were crap, so I can't really comment upon the quality of the actual game. Looks cool, though.

Once again, Mr. Croshaw, good review, not that you need my confirmation or anything.

heh, i gave up on guitar hero at 3, ONLY way i'll come back is if they pull there heads out an bring in a means for me to use my MP3s, with the easy that say... Audiosurf dose, cuase i've no interest in playing songs, by bands i never cared about before, as for the beetles, i got some a there stuff in my collection :) and it would be played

I just had to point out something - Yahtzee criticised how in one track, the guitar sounded a little like a cello (or another type of string instrument who's name I've forgotten), and he then complained that Eleanor Rigby was not a featured track in the game; Eleanor Rigby has NO drums, NO guitar, NO bass - the entire thing is played with orchestral string instruments. Just thought I'd mention that

Riding on Thermals:

Magic Muffin Man:

Riding on Thermals:

I wholeheartedly agree, The Beatles aren't the best band ever. Any logical person would see that they are in fact the THIRD best band of all time - everybody knows that Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin are better :)

Phsx2:
Good review but no-matter what anyone says I'll NEVER buy a guitar hero or rock band game EVERRRRRRRRRRR

same. cost less to get an old acoustic guitar off someone. all the tabs you could ever want are on the internet.

erikvduyn:
It's kind of harsh how he whined about Brawl not having all the characters unlocked straight away and thus isn't good for bringing over to a friends house and now he whines at all the songs being unlocked from the beginning so it's good to take over to a friends house?

He didn't really whine about them about all the songs being unlocked, he just questioned the point of career mode if all songs are unlocked from the start.

Is anyone else having trouble loading the videos via this site? I am trying to get it to work but its not going at all. Earlier in the day, I had been watching the videos without problem.

excellent review, as usual, but you have reviewed EVERY SINGLE GUITAR HERO AND ROCK BAND game, so it feels a bit over used, like.

I was a little confused when you first complained that the guitar was being used for instruments like a cello, and then confused when you later complained that RB: Beatles didnt have 'Eleanor Rigby' in it. Brilliant song, beautiful and haunting, but the music is done by a string quartet. o_O

McGoohan:
Yahtzee's just bitching to hear himself bitch with this review. How can he criticize the game for having you play a guitar part that sounds "suspiciously like a cello," then question why they didn't include "Elenor Rigby." Everyone knows that "Elenor Rigby" has no rock instruments at all, right? No guitar. No bass. No drums. Just two string quartets. Yahtzee is not the Beatles fan he claims to be.

Is it strange for a beatles fan to want to play some one of the bands greatest songs? You could play the string parts and sing the lyrics cant you?

Also the cello thing was a joke anyway, no one cares.

Edit= I read it wrong when If first quoted you, my mistake.

The beatles were cool :P

(I acidentally commented on the wrong topic :( )

Ninja_X:

McGoohan:

Is it strange for a beatles fan to want to play some one of the bands greatest songs?

If it is fine for you to play the cello bit on the guitar, why is it not alright to play Elenor Rigby?

You just contradicted yourself sir.

He never said it was fine to play the cello, he was just pointing out that yahtzee wanted to play a song with no rock instruments at all, even after he said it was strange that he played the cello parts as the guitarist.

happysock:

Ninja_X:

McGoohan:

Is it strange for a beatles fan to want to play some one of the bands greatest songs?

If it is fine for you to play the cello bit on the guitar, why is it not alright to play Elenor Rigby?

He never said it was fine to play the cello, he was just pointing out that yahtzee wanted to play a song with no rock instruments at all, even after he said it was strange that he played the cello parts as the guitarist.

I read the comment wrong and edited that earlier to reflect that, thank you though.

Ninja_X:

happysock:

Ninja_X:

McGoohan:

I read the comment wrong and edited that earlier to reflect that, thank you though.

Your welcome, sorry for being a nazi about it

Ninja_X:

happysock:

Ninja_X:

Your welcome, sorry for being a nazi about it

No problem chap!

Just one thing, is this funny or offensive? Little rant on the holocaust I did while extremely bored one day.

I may go to hell for that XD

Funny but incredably offensive at the same time. I wouldn't show to any jews you know though lol

Could someone please explain the point of Guitar Hero to me? The game consists of a bunch of long and fast paced "real time event" sequences. Simon says at 100 mph. There's no real decisions being made and it's not like the game even teaches a person to play a guitar. Just like Yahtzee said, it's teaching a bunch of kids to be satisfied with plastic mediocrity. But then he goes on to the point of actually reviewing it as a game.

I found the review incomplete of these games because there is no reference to the either the vocals or the drums.

Furthermore I think many people on here are forgetting a couple of things involved in making a Rockband/Guitar Hero track:

1) Some songs just aren't compatible with the game. If there are major changes/errors in rhythm, making a game that follows along with it can be extremely difficult and will ultimately disappoint people.

2) Not all of the old classic songs are conveniently laid out in multi-track format. A lot of the old Beetles songs for instance had all instruments and vocals on two tracks only. Going back and separating all of that out into 4 distinctive tracks can be challenging and expensive (and sometimes close to impossible). So many of ya'lls assumptions that some mere software developer can make releasable DLC of any song in only a couple of hours is total ignorance. Furthermore this kind of investment to remaster the sound would not warrant some tiny 3 or 4 dollar DLC charge.

Finally, these games are not just for wannabes. I'm a real drummer, not terrible either, but I still love these games. If you can find me a backup band that can play a Slayer song in perfect pitch and Rhythm at 11PM on a Sunday night. Maybe I won't want to play this game.

Great review however, i thnik the idea that you can have 4 guitars playing at once is a bit interesting and probably the best idea Guitar Hero has had in a while.

i just think that the rock band company has just run out of ideas and are now trying so hard to keep it going so that guitar hero doesnt take all of the glory. but that is also dieing slowly and painfuly due to them just draging it out for so long i say just give it a rest with them both and concentrate on something else because there is alot of money to be made else where because there are so many games that are coming out now that should have died a while ago like fable the first one was the best but in the second they just killed it and when i heard the news that they where bringing out a third i just felt like going over to its maker and punshing him in his face coz it has just gotten rediculas now they have just ran out of ideas no actully they havnt they just try to make it so life like it is gotten imbarassing.

I love Bowie and Yahtzee

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or