Review: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Review: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

I'd call Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 the best superhero game I'd played this month, but that would be a lie.

Read Full Article

I'm still waiting to see if they add Cable as DLC, I know they have him as a boss.

He's my favorite time traveling, gun toting, wannabe mutant messiah, foster father (to the real mutant messiah) badass.

Edit: And sure Iron Man seems like a dick, but his role in the civil is not enviable. Despite the whole gitmo thing the pro-registration camp had, Captain America and the new avengers (as opposed the eventual mighty avengers) seemed to be fighting just for the sake of it, not following public opinion, causing a lot of unnecessary conflict.

Man I've read too many comics in the last 3weeks.

Edit2: Way to make the Sentry a DS exclusive marvel

hehehe. Totally agree about Iron Man, but then I wouldn't want Cap on my side either.

Can't I just pick Magneto, Rogue, Psylocke and Dazzler?

Actually, strike that: Black Bolt and Dazzler + a "Venom"d Hulk as backup.

The only thing I was thinking the whole way through was, Why is Captain America leading the Anti-registration team?
Surely all of america already knows who he is...?
(Unless my lack of knowledge about the Captain is that obvious now :P)

I also agree with The_root_of_all_evil on the Symbiote Hulk thing.
That's the embodiment of awesome and overpowered.

"Oh, not because he's bad or anything, but because he's just kind of a dick."

Truer words my friend. He truly was the villain of the Civil War saga. Thanks for the review, I might check this out.

Nice review. I felt this way about the first one, actually.
But I've also heard there are some pretty serious bugs in the game as well?
Could this be true?

This games looks pretty awesome. So the enemy is the other faction? We could create the New Avengers and have them fight the Mighty Avengers for instance?

Baby Tea:
Nice review. I felt this way about the first one, actually.
But I've also heard there are some pretty serious bugs in the game as well?
Could this be true?

Oh yeah. There's some bugs in the game. The usual graphic glitches,freezing during unexpected times. I'm waiting for a patch until then, I'll just play it at my friends house.

Im probably going to buy this, I really enjoyed the first Ultimate Alliance, and this seems to just be building on that winning formula, by the way, is it still for all consoles, or did it become an exclusive?

-This-is-Hip-Hop

Alright, this sealed the deal for me. I'm picking this up when it comes out tomorrow.

Also, while not having read ALL of the Civil War stuff, in my eyes Cap is the unlikable dick, not Stark.

2 is definitly worse than the first one. The story is worse somehow, the level design mundane, there are only 4 powers now, and the whole Civil War thing was tossed out the window at one point in fair of some stupid shit. Overall it's much more simplified.

Ugh, worse than the first one?

I have a warm fuzzy for Raven after the surprisingly good XMO:Wolverine, but MUA1 sucked. I'm a big Marvel fan, always have been, but I just couldn't see the appeal in this top-down game with mediocre graphics, cheesy storylines and boring dialogue. Fights resembled a rugby scrum and it was often difficult, if not impossible, to tell who was doing what to whom.

The only pleasure I got out of the game was seeing old marvel villians crawl out of the woodwork. Whoa, Modok! That was a blast from the past.

I'm sure I'll rent it; I'm equally sure I won't buy it.

EDIT: Eh, actually the graphics look better than the first. Hmm. Okay, reserve judgement until I try it out.

Did anyone else hear that last line? It was punny

(OUCH! I know I should've gone for that health meter enlargement I saw in that email)

Anyway the game looks big enough and cool enough. Only I'm not really into brawlers..

I enjoyed the frist one, and I probably will the second one. I know that it's not great but it's one of the best games about Marvel Universe I've seen :P

Archemetis:
The only thing I was thinking the whole way through was, Why is Captain America leading the Anti-registration team?
Surely all of america already knows who he is...?
(Unless my lack of knowledge about the Captain is that obvious now :P)

I also agree with The_root_of_all_evil on the Symbiote Hulk thing.
That's the embodiment of awesome and overpowered.

Yeah, but he was fighting for everyone's right to their own lives.

In fact, I'm wondering if they're including when Spiderman unmasked in front of the world. That was retconned when One More Day... came out, I think.

Anyway. Deadpool.

I have played through the game with buddies once and found no bugs or glitches. I really liked it and the changes but it felt... shorter than the first one. And while a very good game that you can play through a few times it just didn't have that big epic feel.

I do like one big thing though. In the first three games (the x-men ledgends that came out befor MUA) There were always a handful of characters that sucked out loud and you will never ever use them. Usually about 3-5 of them. This one only had one character who I felt was utterly worthless to use.

(Hint: He's super stretchy)

if i choose the Captain America site, does it mean i can go around all day singing "AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!" while kicking major arse?

I'll give it a try.
Anyone know if Punisher or Electra will be playable in this one?

Christemo:
if i choose the Captain America site, does it mean i can go around all day singing "AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!" while kicking major arse?

Well I can't imagine why not!

I was really on the edge of getting this but I've come to trust Funk's reviews so I'll wait til it comes down to $20 or so. But still the story... pro-reg/anti-reg, Captain America on the anti-reg side... oh man that's cool I really want to play that. And it looks pretty fun.

Christemo:

That is what I did. Especially when you shield bash someone as Captain America. Or playing as Iron Man on the Pro Registration, start sprouting off Liberty Prime lines. "EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED"

oh, deadpool awesome as always. (unless this is the wolverine movie)

ace_of_something:
This one only had one character who I felt was utterly worthless to use.

(Hint: He's super stretchy)

Wierd; in the previous game was far too overpowered - maybe it's a case of balancing going too far?

Ya, it seems to me that they took some of the fun RPG elements out of the game, and kinda dumbed it down from teh first. I wonder if the Human Torch still has that extremely OP ability, the one where you knock enemies in the air by raising fire from the ground.... that attack is practically all you need to beat the first one

Ice Man, Storm, Silver Surfer, and Spider-Man were my team in the first. Juggernaut and Deadpool will make their way in, methinks. Though that we now get Hulk is absolutely fantastical.

Oh, and did you catch yourself a cold, Funk? Sounded a bit congested there, man.

John Funk thinks Ultimate Thor was way cooler than regular Thor.

Worth mentioning that the recent return of thor and him moving asgard to the middle of the desert, Montana? Was funny and heart warming. Really gave Thor and the asgardians a chance to be 3 dimensional with a little added depth and personality. It looks like the writer left, they moved the story to Latveria and it's shit again but we'll see where it goes.

hmm deadpool woverine thor and hulk? Pretty good team.

headshotcatcher:
Did anyone else hear that last line? It was punny

(OUCH! I know I should've gone for that health meter enlargement I saw in that email)

Anyway the game looks big enough and cool enough. Only I'm not really into brawlers..

Deadpool always has been, and always will be one of my top 5 fav Marvel characters. What's not to love about a guy who realizes that he's in a comic book, and constantly breaks the fourth wall?

The Thing... had... a... bulge!

First time I've ever seen a superhero with a significant bulge! (1:40)

I beat'en up with a descant story line working for it, I never though I would see the day // Graphics look none to shabby too

I also do like the fact that they add Deadpool's 'breaking the 4th wall' power

-M

Regarding the "that armor must be compensating for something" quip...

Did you know that's basically what Frank Castle says upon seeing Iron Man's statue of himself in Stark Industries in The Punisher (2005)? I probably wouldn't remember if I didn't play the game over and over and over...

Apparently Marvel isn't denying Stark is... Lacking, in some areas.

Ya, it seems to me that they took some of the fun RPG elements out of the game, and kinda dumbed it down from teh first. I wonder if the Human Torch still has that extremely OP ability, the one where you knock enemies in the air by raising fire from the ground.... that attack is practically all you need to beat the first one...
Dat'z atleast wat i think...

The strenght of characters and usfulness wasn't equal - Thor must be much stronger now because he wasn't too impresive in the first one.
I wasn't sure if the costume selection feature was still in the game, but then it's visable in the video - I hope that the costumes will be unlocked by having characters in the team, not like last time by playing even the weakest characters for few levels. They could be all unlocked by minigames like the last one in the first game - but some minigames were too difficult in comparison (I bet Deadpool one in few minutes by just going in maxed suit and non- stop shooting the dark spidey and I didn't even run out of half my energy, while Captain America had to fight bucky while clicking 4 random panels in 4 corners of the room every few seconds and even after beating the enemy he has to do it in less than 10 seconds - that's a extreme diffrance).

Call it the best Marvel Comics superhero game this month. Problem solved.

I'm definately going to get this at some point. I'm just hoping to pick it up cheaper at a second hand store since I'm short on cash. Still I've been psyched for this for a looooong while now and I'm damn sure I'm going to have SO MUCH DAMN FUN with it.

First one was a fun and engaging, and I spent a lot of time playing it.

Getting this one, with a more solid story.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here