On the Left 4 Dead Ban

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

On the Left 4 Dead Ban

Yahtzee deconstructs the ban against Left 4 Dead.

Read Full Article

Interesting.. but if Fallout 3 was refused classification, how did Yahtzee get to review it? Did he visit his friends at GAMETRADERS ROBINA??

yourbeliefs:
Interesting.. but if Fallout 3 was refused classification, how did Yahtzee get to review it? Did he visit his friends at GAMETRADERS ROBINA??

You'll note that Fallout 3 doesn't have Morphine at all? That's because Bethesda removed it so it could be released in Australia. Along with all the other real world drugs that were supposed to be in it, but weren't because the ACB are spineless fuckwits who know nothing about the real world.

Wow, I live the other side of the planet from Australia, and reading about this STILL gets me pissed off...

I'm saddened that the game was banned there. How will he review L4D2 if he can't get it? Oh wait...GAME TRADERS ROBINA. Good luck Yahtzee, hope you get it.

Without a doubt the most idiotic thing i've ever seen the government do. IT'S A FUCKING GAME. A game that's not meant or indeed allowed to be be sold to minors.
Seriously...theyre going way too bloody far here.

ssgt splatter:
I'm saddened that the game was banned there. How will he review L4D2 if he can't get it? Oh wait...GAME TRADERS ROBINA. Good luck Yahtzee, hope you get it.

He can still review it. He should be able to download it on Steam.

Why does everyone hate blood and gore? It's anatomy. And violence is a natural occurance. Kids are gonna see it in school anyways...

This whole "think of the children" mantra has seriously got to stop. I once had a Political Science professor who thought that a major source of conflict in modern politics are laws, regulations, and restrictions that are in place for the sole purpose of protecting the innocence of children. Ironically, he was also Australian.

Well, at this rate all of Australia's children will move away because they won't be able to watch anything more than a blank screen because the government is trying to protect them.

I guess I'll follow the trend and put GAMETRADERS ROBINA in my post as well.

It's a shame because all the stuff the ACB are bitching about are everytihng that makes it fun to play. Those dicks.

oppp7:
Why does everyone hate blood and gore? It's anatomy. And violence is a natural occurrence. Kids are gonna see it in school anyways...

Do you live in Sparta or something, where blood and gore are an everyday part of school?

DRADIS C0ntact:

That's a point. Isn't this really not that big a deal, since Steam exists? Or will there be something I don't know about (who knows, I guess that could happen) that would stop Australians from doing that too?

Holy batman, i never relised how strict the Ozzy gameboard are! Won't it make sense just to make a strict 18+ certificate?
Or an in-game feature where it would kindly offer a "too much gore and blood for you? Do you want the "infected" to shoot candy from their guts instead? YES - NO"

Further proof old people have no place in any sort of position of power.

Much as I luuuurve getting into political arguments, I've always held a bit of a belief that corruption and oppression comes out far easier when far fewer people CARE. I have no knowledge of the political base or the public form of outcry in the down-under, but a good amount of protest as well as people in *decent* positions of power, if not commanding, can make efforts to provide rational solutions as opposed to letting fatheads who believe they know what's best tell everyone what to do.

Not that my homeland can be much better at times. It is, after all, amazing how thousands and thousands of conserv-- LOYAL American citizens can turn up at some rally with picket signs with varying degrees of spelling and grammatical correctness all because some fathead who gets a prime spot on the TV only because he brings in the ratings told them to.

Psepha:

DRADIS C0ntact:

That's a point. Isn't this really not that big a deal, since Steam exists? Or will there be something I don't know about (who knows, I guess that could happen) that would stop Australians from doing that too?

Since steam is regionalised if you have an Australian IP it will mean that steam wont give you that game

I don't think the government's arguement was well thought out enough. They actually didn't consider that teh average gamer age is 30, which leads me to believe they did nothing but point fingers at a game without doing any outside research.
And you're right about the age restrictions on games. A 12 year old can't go into a Gamestop and buy a M(18+) game without being asked for his/her ID.
The government's arguement was very weak sounding to me. Although I am not directly impacted by the Aussie government's decision, I do feel sympathy for those who are going to be Left 4 Dead 2less.

Zenode:
Since steam is regionalised if you have an Australian IP it will mean that steam wont give you that game

Oh. Well damn, this really does suck for Australia then. :(

It's the principle at stake. Of course we've gone through these moral panics a thousand times, from Lady Chatterley's Lover in the 1900s, through to rock 'n' roll music in the 1950s, the Child's Play movies in the 80s and onwards now to video games. It's all about whether you can trust the masses to make their own decisions, or do you make their mind up for them.

And steam won't work if you want to buy it on console.

DRADIS C0ntact:

ssgt splatter:

I think he likes consoles better. I personally think GAMETRADERS ROBINA will get him it. That, or he'll just import it. If he can't get it himself, someone will send it to him, he's got a million fans looking for recognition.

Governments that work to supress things like violent video games in the name of "save the children", while children go hungry and homeless in their borders, so that Trumpesque people can by another $50,000,00 yacht should be taken out to a dark alley and beaten to death with a wiffle ball bat. i will volunteer to do the beatings if someone organizes the revolution.

((mind you, I am not australian. but it is quite infuriating))

What a stupid bunch of people. It's just a game, not a training tool for psychopaths-in-waiting. Honestly, both things like this and the massive arachnids make me not even want to visit Australia... but that is mostly due to the latter issue. Spiders are creepy.

Why can't the Australian Government just do what most others do when when they don't like something, tax the crap out of it. Government wants people not to smoke, it increases cigarette tax. Government thinks too many people drink? Increase alcohol tax!

Sure it would still be almost as retarded and your games would cost 5 times the price, but at least you'd get to play them right?

The ACB really need to get off their pedestals and just make an 18+ rating, I mean hell we still get R rated films, all thats needed is for games dealers to start carding you when you buy a game

Psepha:

DRADIS C0ntact:

Yes. It would be the government compulsory web filter which will be controlled by whomever is in power and most likely dictated by the Family First group that wants nothing but christian songs played in the country.

my explanation is that their afraid everyone that plays l4d2 is gonna become a mindless murderer with a FRYING PAN or axe (i have never once heard of some1 dying due to frying pan injuries) now, if this is y their afraid of it, then they need to grow a cranium pair, or get rid of the seemingly large group of pyshcotics that go beserk at the mere sight of blood... because only a retard would actually murder cause he saw it in a game. he was doomed from birth to be a murderer, not the games fault. also, if theyre so friggin desperate to protect children, make a 18+ rating!!!! what the hell is wrong with them if they dont realize thats the solution that doesnt lead to decline of their game economy... and common sense.

A violent game was refused classification because of outdated legislation, therefore a police state can only be just around the corner.

Interesting logic there.

Cwn_Annwn:
The ACB really need to get off their pedestals and just make an 18+ rating, I mean hell we still get R rated films, all thats needed is for games dealers to start carding you when you buy a game

Apparently, not that simple. I've read that in order to change the system, you need a unanimous vote from all of the country's Attorney-Generals. And it appears that Michael Atkinson is the one person voting against bringing in an 18+ rating.

So, until he retires or is forced to get out of the position due to a change in local government, Australia won't have a 18+ game rating.

Sounds like Yahtzee hates his government...I don't blame him one bit. He came up with excellent counter-arguments to the bullshit excuses the ACB has given for refusing classifcation to L4D2.

Solution to Yahtzee's problem: Go to GAMETRADERS ROBINA, stick it to the man (in this case Michael Atkinson) and review it with smug self satisfaction that he's more clever than the government.

dear australians,
please. PLEASE could we organise a protest or something?
we can't just sit on our asses watching as they slowly cut off our freedoms...
D:

gah, i'm gonna go live on the moon, dammit.

I'll try and find the article but I recall reading somewhere that there may be a plan over there to introduced a 18+ rating system.

You're in our prayers... if we even did that...

Give it another 10 to 20 years and this whole game controversy should be on the same level as that for music and films. Basically we just did all the old politicians to retire and eventually die off in time.

Honestly, why do governments care SO much about snot nosed minors. If the parent is a shitty parent and cannot control what their child sees then that is THEIR problem, not every adult in the nation, whose liberties are infringed thanks to concerned religious mothers.

I can't help but feel like this entire article is like walking into a park, and screaming bloody murder at the grass and trees for having the audacity for being grass and trees. The simple fact of the matter is the ACB is doing it's job. They're paid to do this, and they are working while they're at it. They have to watch the dirty movies, have to play the violent games, and are paid to do nothing other than give the game a classification. For the American readers in the audience, this article is the equivalent of attacking the ESRB for giving a game an M-rating.

It's not the ACB's fault that they have refuse classification because there's no classification this game falls under. The office in charge of classification, the Attorney-General's Department of Australia, is the body that is almost exclusively at fault here. The irony though, is that the department is primarily for the creation of an R18+ classification. However, since the department requires a unanimous vote, there is a single opponent to the classification. An attorney-general named Michael Atkinson.[1]

So, instead of harboring ill-will toward the ACB, it would work more effective to appeal to Mr. Atkinson to change the ruling. As it stands, he's the only thing between the ACB and a full set of classifications for Video Game media.

And the saddest part is, I severely doubt anyone is going to read this.

Chipperz:
You'll note that Fallout 3 doesn't have Morphine at all? That's because Bethesda removed it so it could be released in Australia. Along with all the other real world drugs that were supposed to be in it, but weren't because the ACB are spineless fuckwits who know nothing about the real world.

Morphine was renamed Med-X :)

FalloutWikia:
Originally, Med-X was simply named "morphine" in the game. However, on July 4, 2008, Fallout 3 was refused classification by the OFLC in Australia, thus making the game illegal for sale in the country due to the "realistic visual representations of drugs and their delivery method (bringing) the 'science-fiction' drugs in line with 'real-world' drugs." On September 9, 2008 Bethesda vice president of PR and marketing, Peter Hines, has described the idea of the Australian version of Fallout 3 as a misconception. All versions of Fallout 3 will no longer include real world drug references

As for OT, Yahtzee is correct. Australia today, 10 years time it could be like this all over the world. All we'll see in the movies are films about politically correct bunny rabbits while we let our own countries be over-run by illegal immigrants because it would be 'immoral' for us to stop giving them our tax money and stop giving them our council houses.

Are the Australian censorship laws outdated and, quite frankly, bad in comparison to say Europes or Americas? Yes.

Is the censorship of video games the first step towards a totalitarian police state regiem with the express intent of squashing the individual and their personal liberties? No.

Okay, it might be tempting to think that the outlandish idea is the correct one, but if you start thinking that way then it's only a few stpes down the line to getting a rottweiler, ludicrous alarm systems, fearing everybody, swallowing the "terror pill" and ultimately ending up like this:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/its%20a%20conspiracy/Evilpens/its-a-conspiracy.jpg

I'm tempted to make a joke about the Australian Government being the only one able to stop a zombie outbreak.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here