Escape to the Movies: Surrogates

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Surrogates

MovieBob finds Surrogates "Pretty Damn Good"!

Watch Video

I really have to see Ponyo, but I have so much crap to do.

Nice episode, MB.

Edit: wow, a legitimate first post.

Honestly, I didn't have High hopes for Surrogates, but I'll give it a shot.

And your a little lat on that Ponyo reccomendation. The theater already axed it in favor of Sorrority Row. Yeah...

Hahahahaha I loved the ponyo nod at the end.

I'll be checking surrogates out, which is more than I would have said before watching this movie.

Paint me pleasantly surprised, the trailers made it look like they stripped all the interesting social aspects from the comic, of having any entire culture live their lives through android bodies. In favor of another run of the mill action film. I'll have to check this one out.

Much as I desperately enjoy many of your reviews (I mean, I wouldn't have seen District 9 without them), you really need to figure out something about that compression, Bob. Horrible artifacts on the "As-you-know-Bob" screen. I'm sure some of the Escapist members might know a couple of tips to help you, and probably some of the folks on the forums as well.

Non-technically, great review, and thanks for the tip about Ponyo.

Well, its good that Surrogates its not another bland sci-fi movie.

Great review.

Good episode, even if it didn't have as much lovely, hateful bile as the Jennifer's body review. =)

We all knew Ponyo was good, but thanks for reassuring us just in case.

I am hoping to see Surrogates this weekend. It looks good and your review helped solidify my wanting to see it in the theater.

Side Note: I was going to see Jennifer's Body earlier this week when a friend who had seen it said that it was pretty much a remake of Ginger Snaps (which I own) with a few elements changed. So now I'll just wait for the DVD release so I can rent it.

Saved me $20.

Love the reviews, but please please please MovieBob, stop recording in your bathroom and get a proper microphone!

I agree that Moon and District 9 were good movies. So hey, maybe I'll give Surrogates a chance

sounds pretty damn good :D
by the way, i subscribe to the whole try to optimize your videos movement, as some of the images or texts are only for a few milliseconds in focus, and then they get all blurry. the sound is great though imho :)l

i'm actually too scared to stop the movie during the credits in case of another ".... OH WAIT I FORGOT SOMETING" moment :p Guess it could be seen as a subtle way of forcing us to watch the credits and give the people in it more recognise... or maybe i could stop being a tightass and actually appreciate the work :p

Great review once again, definately looking forward to this one, but that might be because i'm a Willis fanboi *blush*

Jonathon Mostow... wasn't he the guy who directed Terminator 3?
Well, this certainly looks worth a look anyway; cyborgs, action and Bruce Willis, what's not to like in that alone?

I only clicked 'cause I thought I saw Joe Kuckuan(spelling) in the thumbnail

I've been following this movie in Empire magazine, I have to say I also think it's pretty damn good. It's definitely going to be my next cinema outing.

Phew, the Metro gave it 2 stars and said it was rubbish.

I should learn not to trust them though, after they said Gamer was likely to upset gamers as it poked fun at them (Gee, like we're not used to that...)

Inglorious Bastards, you were bang on the nail about, that Bowie(?) track was SO misplaced.

Hammith:
you really need to figure out something about that compression, Bob. Horrible artifacts on the "As-you-know-Bob" screen. I'm sure some of the Escapist members might know a couple of tips to help you, and probably some of the folks on the forums as well.

^THIS^

Hey. The surrogates thing would be awesome. No real danger and I can do anything I want? Sure, I'd do it.

Good review, Moviebob, and just as I was looking for a movie this evening. I probably will see this because of your review.

Hmm a short review for once, maybe if all movies were as entertaining as this or better, then Movie Bob would have less work to do. Zombie Land came out recently didn't it? Was hoping for a review of it over Surrogate. O well it's free so I still enjoy it enough to watch it and read all the posts about it.

OK. I'll think about it.

scarab7:
Hmm a short review for once, maybe if all movies were as entertaining as this or better, then Movie Bob would have less work to do. Zombie Land came out recently didn't it? Was hoping for a review of it over Surrogate. O well it's free so I still enjoy it enough to watch it and read all the posts about it.

I don't think zombieland comes out until sometime in October...but I could be wrong.

Oy Bob, really enjoyed the video, it was good. But fix the blur. I still have no idea what "as-you-know-bob" is ... :D

I loved the Ponyo recommendation at the end there. It sounded like, "Yes, it's good, stop telling me."

Bruce Willis really is a great actor and with the knowledge moviebob has now bestowed upon me, I may just have to go see this.

Bruce Willis is always a very good actor and I personally enjoy his movies. And now that I saw this review I'm definitely going to see it.

A'ight, I'm pausing the video here for a bit. It's good, all of your videos are good, but something I've noticed that keeps coming back is that when you have a static image, it very quickly becomes blurry. Sometimes blurry as fuck, so much so that you can only read the text because it's in size 60-odd font, or recognise the people in the image because you saw a clear half-second glimpse of them before the Attack of the Artifacts.

It's especially bad here, which is why I felt the need to comment on it. At 1:40, the text that appears becomes completely unreadable in under a second, it's too small to make out clearly through the fuzzy blocks of black and red, and there's too much to read in the half-second you have before Attack of the Artifacts 2: Electric Boogafuzzypants. Scrolling back a second didn't clear it up, so it's not on my end - I had to rewind to about 1:38 several times before I read the text completely (I'm not fast enough to pause the vid in time).

I don't know what's causing this, but it's always been a very big visual annoyance to me, and like I said, in this video, it's actually making it near-impossible to make out what's happening. It only happens with static images, moving pictures - even just pics sliding slowly across the screen - aren't affected. It could be the compression or something, I don't know. I'm not going to ask or tell you to "fix it", but I just wanted to bring it to your attention. (Even though by the time I post this it'll probably end up buried somewhere halfway down page 3.)

Well this is great. I was kinda expecting this movie to suck but I was going to go see it despite my inner thoughts. Why? Because Bruce Willis is Awsome!

But seriously though I'm glad that it actually turned out good and will proably end up seeing it tomorrow.

Loved the nod for Ponyo at the end. Now if I ever go see it I can say with a straight face "Well it got a good review."

I mean I love all kinds of story telling and being a teenager makes most people you meet your age not so understanding.

I could not read a damn thing at 1:40, anybody else have that problem?

Lol, Ginger Snaps, I remember that move. It is pretty good, but I still want to watch Megan Fox eat people.

Seriously Escapist, are you not paying Movie Bob? If not, please send him a decent microphone or maybe better editing software.

sirdanrhodes:
Seriously Escapist, are you not paying Movie Bob? If not, please send him a decent microphone or maybe better editing software.

Maybe the low-budget style is intentional. I quite like it, kind of original in a way.

Also, I guess I'll have to give Surrogates a look now, was planning on just ignoring it completely!

MovieBob:
Surrogates

MovieBob finds Surrogates "Pretty Damn Good"!

Watch Video

Im still pissed at that otaku rant you gave in the 9 movie review, what the hell man we aren't all like that, i thought someone like you would actually understand us but what was that attack for, we really did PRAY BADLY that 9 would give the cartoon industry a much needed facelift in order for their to be an awesome competition between america and the rest of the worlds awesome animators like miyazaki and that dude that made the persopolis movie ( i think it was a french flick o.o)

randommaster:
I really have to see Ponyo, but I have so much crap to do.

Nice episode, MB.

Edit: wow, a legitimate first post.

Go see ponyo man, they say that movie was a kid flick but i actually liked it, it brought me back to that awesome moment i had while watching Totoro and it also gave me a bit of nostalgia on how weird it was to talk to a girl when i was a little dude >.<

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here