The Pocket Gamer Report: It's Time for Zune's Close-up

*sigh* oh great Microsoft has practically copied apples' iTouch and iPhone. Bill Gates must be so proud!! I think I'll stick to apple and Mac thank you very much >_>

O RLY?

so has alot of other companies..especially the cellphones..

Im interested in the ZUNE HD..I might ask for one for Christmas.. My mom has a ipod touch and she loves it.
I really like the fact that there is a decent video chip in the Zune..I do like my original launch PSP,but the new touch devices are selling like hotcakes or meth..or meth infused hotcakes..

Sony copied Nintendo with regards to a portable game system(the Gameboy..directional pad and buttons)..Everyone else copied Atari with regards to a game console that used removable cartridges..

I don't see why they don't put out games for the other Zunes. They got at least five already on it, so why not add more that aren't HD only? I'd play them while I'm on the crapper at work.

I hate Microsoft but the Zune doubles as an HD Radio so I may give it a go.

Do...want.....

My launch Zune still works perfectly, but the touch screen interface of the Zune HD has me drooling. Sigh...being practical is so annoying sometimes.

Hazzah! Finally a non-iphone article! Great job Pocket Gamer!

There are two things you didn't cover in the article, which are very relevant to gamers.

First, that Microsoft has already added Zune HD support to the XNA Game Studio - the same platform used to build the Xbox Live Indie Games. There have already been a few minor news stories about this - first, an independent touchscreen drawing demo, and second a ported app from the iPhone.

Second, that Microsoft has released promo videos demonstrating the Zune HD playing a full 3D game. Their initial press release indicates that the game shown is a version of Project Gotham Racing, and (even better) that a version of Audiosurf is on the way. These are a step up from the relatively casual games the device shipped with.

Given that Windows Mobile 7 is going to have significantly stricter hardware requirements than current devices, and that the current rumored minimum is very similar to a Zune, including Tegra, it's not a significant leap to assume that Microsoft is intending that both Zune and Windows Mobile 7 be capable mobile gaming platforms (likely linked to Xbox Live). One of the most problematic part of Windows Mobile phones in the past has always been their erratic and frequently anemic hardware platforms.

Personally, based on all of the past news and press releases I've seen, I expect Windows Mobile 7 phones to also be able to act as Zune devices - in effect making them the Microsoft equivalent to the iPhone. I'd also expect that both the WM7 and Zune platforms to share a single app store, similar to how the iPhone and iPod Touch operate. All the hardware is already in the device - all it'll take is a firmware update.

Edit: Also, I found out my Zune HD will be here on Wednesday. I guess their engraving is backed up :P

0p3rati0n:
*sigh* oh great Microsoft has practically copied apples' iTouch and iPhone. Bill Gates must be so proud!! I think I'll stick to apple and Mac thank you very much >_>

technology is and always be a copycat game, its best that you get used to it.

Virgil:
Edit: Also, I found out my Zune HD will be here on Wednesday. I guess their engraving is backed up :P

I'm also considering getting the Zune HD given all the acclaim its been receiving, but it according to many reviews, it doesn't seem to have many Apps or other Downloadable extras like its Apple counterparts. The browser, I've also heard, doesn't seem to allow streaming videos off of websites like youtube...

What you said about XNA does hint that its only a matter of time though...in which case, I think I'll wait a bit for some work to be done on the Zune before considering a purchase...

Only a portion of genres make sense on a touchscreen. And most of those are not ones which are known to gobble graphics power. PSP and DS will be beating Zune on the control side, while iPod has network effect going for it and even beats the Zune on price.

I think this is looking all-around mediocre. What's the reason to currently buy one over iPod, PSP or DS?

I'll see what games will be released and how it compares to my DS, only then will I decide to upgrade from my 3 year old 30GB ipod.

Susan Arendt:
Do...want.....

My launch Zune still works perfectly, but the touch screen interface of the Zune HD has me drooling. Sigh...being practical is so annoying sometimes.

so it actually already exists???

or is this america only or something?

Or am I completely missing the point here?

Skizle:

0p3rati0n:

Yeah I know but it's like yahtzees' stand point on sequels and other stuff. It's that know one can think of their own crap!

Since I will never own an apple product, I cannot wait for the Zune HD. Plus, I've just ordering mine. Can't wait.

I've looked around at a couple of online stores, and I don't think the Zune HD has even been released in Australia. Does anyone know if it will be, or is this one of those "not for the likes of those undeserving people in Australia" type things?

0p3rati0n:

Skizle:

0p3rati0n:

Yeah I know but it's like yahtzees' stand point on sequels and other stuff. It's that know one can think of their own crap!

Because there's only so many ideas to go round.

Think about it for a moment, and you can argue that just about anything is a copy of something else.

You can try for unique ideas, but the chances that someone else hasn't already thought of them before are remote.

Still, I would guess you can at least attempt to create something that isn't a blatant copy of someone else's already successful idea...

It's one thing if some obscure researcher or hobbyist had your idea 20 years ago.

Quite another if you happen to have copied something because it's currently popular...

Wtf is HD radio? Is it just like digital radio or something?

Meh, wont be getting this. It does look very sleek, i have to say, but ill stick with my iPhone thank you very much!

Susan Arendt:
Do...want.....

Give in and get one. You won't be sorry. I have had a chance to try both the Zune HD (because I bought one) and an iPhone (because my girl friend has one) and I much prefer the Zune. The touch interface is fluid, I have zero problems using it, it makes a better player, video looks incredible on it. My only complaint right now is the lack of applications for the Zunes.

one thing i read in the reveiw is that microsoft has promised 3D games for the zune and a few came out in novemember its not like pop out 3d but it looks like something that would be on a comp

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here