Review: Wet

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Review: Wet

What a damn shame.

Read Full Article

I found Wet to be a lot of fun. Sure, the levels could have been better and the dialogue needs improvement but I think Wet is one of those games you don't take seriously.

I played the demo, and that was more than enough for me to indentify immediately how much this game was going to fail.
But, Bethesda developed it, so... nuff said.

Can we see this "List?"

Daedalus1942:
I played the demo, and that was more than enough for me to indentify immediately how much this game was going to fail.

No they didn't, they just published. Same as they're doing for Brink.

Does it still have the thing where if you're sliding and you run into something you'll just continue sliding until the animation ends?

I wanna see that list.

Good review Susan, after just playing the demo I came to more or less the same conclusion. It's still on my rental list though.

May we see this list?

Daedalus1942:

They only published it, Artificial Mind and Movement developed it.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Eagle Est1986:
Good review Susan, after just playing the demo I came to more or less the same conclusion. It's still on my rental list though.

May we see this list?

Daedalus1942:

They only published it, Artificial Mind and Movement developed it.

Edit: Ninja'd.

yes, I've had that pointed out to me, thank you.

CountFenring:
Does it still have the thing where if you're sliding and you run into something you'll just continue sliding until the animation ends?

Yes it does. Also, if you're sliding near the edge of a cliff or something, you get to spend a few second in nail-biting suspense waiting to find out if the animation will end with you on the edge of the cliff, or over the cliff. Sometimes it even freezes, leaving you hanging there while the animation times out. Good stuff.

Russ Pitts:

CountFenring:

Yes it does. Also, if you're sliding near the edge of a cliff or something, you get to spend a few second in nail-biting suspense waiting to find out if the animation will end with you on the edge of the cliff, or over the cliff. Sometimes it even freezes, leaving you hanging there while the animation times out. Good stuff.

It's also possible to backflip right off a ledge. Which, while a genuine peril of, uh, being a backflippy assassin, I suppose, isn't much fun during the game.

You know, when they first started promoting this game I thought they were doing a remake of "Wet: The Sexy Empire," a childish "sex industry" strategy/sim game from the early/mid 90's.

I'd Say more Robert Rodreigez than Tarintino

Aura Guardian:
I found Wet to be a lot of fun. Sure, the levels could have been better and the dialogue needs improvement but I think Wet is one of those games you don't take seriously.

This is the truth. The game is styled from a 70s exploitation film. To expect good dialogue is just silly. I think the game was fantastic and lived up to exactly what it was supposed to be.

I'll be getting WET soon (hahaha very funny).

I can see how: grind enemies, go to next room, do some stunts, grind more enemies, skull a bottle of whiskey, grind more enemies etc, could get boring but I just don't see the game that way I'm afraid.

And I'm actually hoping for some good in the voice acting department. Alan Cumming, Eliza Dushku and they guy who plays "John Henry Eden" from Fallout 3. An awesome combo.

The game was actually due to come out last year but Sierra Entertainment failed, making this the second game that Bethesda Softworks has become the Stepfather to (the first being Fallout 3). And if they had to wait any longer, Artifical Mind & Movement could've scrapped the project altogether.

I'm just gonna defend the quick time events (from what little experience I have with it. I need to play this properly without being distracted by Champions...);

When it's obvious you should jump, you use the "jump" button. When she draws her sword, you use the "sword" button, and you can keep shooting all the way through it. It's not really a "proper" quick time event, and it's definitely not the random crap that everyone hates.

From the demo I expected it to be nice

Yes the thing with the slides is of course a kick in the head

but you know? when I played the demo It didn't bother me

No let me correct that

I didn't bother to run

I guess in this game it's less a gimmick but more a new way of moving :)

anyway I suppose this is one of the so many C(+) games rating wise

But you know what? Crackdown was just like that a C(+) game ... And by god all who played it loved it

point being Mediocre isn't disturbingly bad it's what it is MEDIOCRE it's like good but with a slight undertone

good review though

Edit: Oh and btw for those who misunderstand me > I'm tired of people crying on the floor when their game doesn't have the graphic possibilities as big as to render their laptops useless at the highest setting
Or attempting to murder themselves over a crappy story

A simple example of games we should hate by most criteria would start off with public favorites like anything published by bethesda(yes including fallout and oblivion) Mercenaries 2 Silent hill(the entire series)
Mario games
And so on and so on

I mean really come on people

Unfortunately Susan, you describe the reward for chain-kills as a multiplayer (multiplier?).

Normally I wouldn't bother with such a detail, however you have made a point of complaining about sloppiness.

That aside, based on your review, I guess I will leave off on getting this one. Sounds like a bit of a dud.

I'm disappointed by the blasting this game has been getting. When I first saw it profiled in some magazine way back before the demo came out, it looked super cool. But slowly the shine has been wearing off, and what I originally thought would be a must-buy is now turning into a maybe-rent. Too bad.

Luckily, this is on my rental list, I will be wasting no money.

If quick time events, mash x, and repetitive environments are the only major bad parts. Then this isn't that bad, I'm probably gonna go pick this up. It still seems like a lot of fun.

I want to see that list too. ^^

Real shame about the game though. So much potential...

"if you can imagine the Price of Persia doing it, odds are Rubi can, too,"

I assume you meant Prince.

Anyways, Good review. I really expected this kind of reaction out of the game too. Unfortunately, I was right in my assumption. I played the demo, and was really not entertained at all. It felt like Stranglehold...but worse. I at least enjoyed jumping around in Stranglehold and sliding on meal carts and what not, but in this...everything just felt gimmicky to me.

I saw that they were trying to go for that grindhouse look with the game, but that is no excuse to not polish the look and feel of the game.

MercurySteam:
I'll be getting WET soon (hahaha very funny).

I can see how: grind enemies, go to next room, do some stunts, grind more enemies, skull a bottle of whiskey, grind more enemies etc, could get boring but I just don't see the game that way I'm afraid.

And I'm actually hoping for some good in the voice acting department. Alan Cumming, Eliza Dushku and they guy who plays "John Henry Eden" from Fallout 3. An awesome combo.

The game was actually due to come out last year but Sierra Entertainment failed, making this the second game that Bethesda Softworks has become the Stepfather to (the first being Fallout 3). And if they had to wait any longer, Artifical Mind & Movement could've scrapped the project altogether.

Two out of three on the voice acting. Alan Cumming and Malcolm MacDowell both perform admirably but Dushku is complete crap, as is pretty much the rest of the supporting cast.

Don't get me wrong, the ideas here are all great, it's just the games overwhelming lack of polish and follow-through that drag it down.

Mr.Pandah:

Anyways, Good review. I really expected this kind of reaction out of the game too. Unfortunately, I was right in my assumption. I played the demo, and was really not entertained at all. It felt like Stranglehold...but worse. I at least enjoyed jumping around in Stranglehold and sliding on meal carts and what not, but in this...everything just felt gimmicky to me.

I saw that they were trying to go for that grindhouse look with the game, but that is no excuse to not polish the look and feel of the game.

Same here the moment I started playing it I thought this feels like Stanglehold, but then why am I not enjoying it?

Bobzer77:

Mr.Pandah:

Same here the moment I started playing it I thought this feels like Stanglehold, but then why am I not enjoying it?

Precisely.

I was really looking forward to this game but abandoned the idea after playing the demo - the control system was such a pain in the arse that I just couldn't deal with it for more than a couple of minutes. But that's probably just me, to be honest. I'm filing it in the same category as Mirror's Edge: stuff that I'd love to play if I wasn't such a massive klutz.

I was actually sorta kinda thinking about picking this up but not anymore. I guess I'll wait for the sequel, "Dry".

Or "Wet a damn shame" :D

Mrsnugglesworth:
Can we see this "List?"

Yes I too wish to see this list. I hope Infinite Undiscovery is on it.

Anyway if I want to play Wet I'll just replay the free demo.

Yeah I pretty much came to the same conclusion from the demo. You could tell immediately that the game wasn't anywhere near finished.

Someone at Bethesda is really pissed off right now that his great idea and hard work was all for naught.

I'd like to see the list.

I disagree.

I loved this game.

The gameplay more than makes up for the few petty complaints made in the review(for me anyway).

The upgrade system cannot be as bad as you say if I can kill any way I want to and still get my new skills at a decent pace.

Also, how can you complain about the quick time events? Its a core part of gameplay and done very well. Why the hate for the button mashing door opening thing? Allot of games do that and in this one it doesn't take that much time.

If quick time events, mash x, and repetitive environments are the only major bad parts. Then this isn't that bad, I'm probably gonna go pick this up. It still seems like a lot of fun.

Pretty much this.

The reviewer seemed to let small little things ruin the whole experience when they aren't that big a deal.

Yeah, I agree. It's a very fun game, but it feels like there is some climactic shit that they left out, more than likely due to time constraints by the publisher. Still, if I had to choose between the entire Devil May Cry series versus Wet, I'd choose Wet.

Kojiro ftt:

Someone at Bethesda is really pissed off right now that his great idea and hard work was all for naught.

Not likely since Bethesda didn't develop this game, A2M did. Bethesda merely published it, and if they are disappoint, then it's because they didn't allow this game to bake in the oven a little longer.

DrTrevelyan:
Yeah, I agree. It's a very fun game, but it feels like there is some climactic shit that they left out, more than likely due to time constraints by the publisher. Still, if I had to choose between the entire Devil May Cry series versus Wet, I'd choose Wet.

Me too, absolutely.

I really like this game but i do agree it couldve use a couple more month in development. First the soundtrack was really great,and the randomness and chaos use cause really reminded me of saint row 2.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here