Zero Punctuation: Darkest of Days

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I've always been curious of how an FPS would play with a muzzle-loading musket. In that regard, I'm slightly disappointed because in the game the musket takes several seconds to reload instead of 20 as it would in real life.

Also, "fried chicken, I could really go for some FRIED CHICKEN!"

Hahaha... I love the Terminator joke...

Hey. Sarah Connor Chronicles was awesome and its early cancellation a crime almost as serious as the axing of Firefly after 14 episodes.

played the demo and was incredibly disappointed, and since ive heard that the time traveling is limited to very few areas i got even more disappointed, when i found out that this where their first game and they already screw Europe over i didn't think it was possible to be more disappointed, and i was right, but nice review.

well I hope the sequel IS better, because dispite videogames being "an artistic median" and this was the debut game I found myself saying (and I NEVAR say this) wooda binna better book
good concept, bad execution

i played it was fun but be ready to be frustrated at bits (id recommend waiting for the price to drop a bit or maybe play the demo on steam)

Gotta say first time in a ZP where I have totally agreed with Yahtzee's assessment of a game and I am also hoping for a sequel

Moriarty70:
Am I the only person here who had a rich friend that owned a Virtural Boy, and by extension gets the joke? I mean yeah, at least Nintendo covered their asses with "Play in moderation" at the begining of a game, but be realistic. No kid is going to take a break every 10-20 min when they have a game in "real" 3-D.

Seriously though, Tetris was neat on it.

No, other people get it.

ssgt splatter:
The game is a joke people. I've played the demo and it was bad, very bad. The graphics were shitty, the enemies could spot you through a dense corn field from 300yds away, the A.I. is so thick that other enemy soldiers don't notice you even as you murder their friends who are standing right next to them, and the game is filled with glitches and bugs and slowed down when things got busy. I'm surprised that Yahtzee didn't tear this game apart; X-Play certainly did, 1 out of 5.

Demo=/= the full game. They could easily fix the bugs after the demo.

can anyone tell me the name of the song that plays in the beginning and end of zero punctuation?

OT: great video this week, laughed my ass off

Thaius:
Anyone mind telling me what the crap about the first two posts was worth putting the users on probation? I'm confused...

I agree, they should've been put on permenent ban.

You get probation if you make a post on the thread to content before you had enough time to watch it.

This game came out? AWESOME it looked pretty cool up until I saw the review

Not sure if this has been ninja'd before me, but the Monty Python reference really cracked me up xD (Tiger/16 Ton anvil), not certain this was intentional, but it does seem like a bit of a coincidence if it isnt a reference to the "Self defense against fresh fruit" skit.

On topic though, great review as usual, keep up the good work :)

Britisheagle:
I hadn't even heard of this game before today. Was a rather amusing review, once again and I may just have to give it a look now. Although from what I've heard, it would be better if it contained timelines without guns. Oh and a flying, harp dispensing cat would be quite nice too. Ah well, wishful thinking.

There is a timeline without guns. Spicifcally Pompeii during the eruption of the volcano, although you do bring a whole lot of guns with you, including a microwave emitter, which you get to use on Roman soldiers armed with nothing but shields and Javelins, which is AWESOME.

Fighting in all of history's greatest battles, that DOES sound like an awesome idea! Maybe, if a squel is made, they'll include the Battle of 300!

o and the aim assisted automatic gun was while you were playing as the confederates

Game sounds intriguing, if for a little bit. Time to go look it up!

Steam, he says...*strokes beard*

I heard about this game a while ago, but when I found out it wasn't on ps3 I completely forgot about it. I didn't even recognize the title.

i cannot see the newest yazhee production, i have not been able to see any of his for the past three weeks, this is getting beyond a joke.

I fail to see the point of a flying cat that dispenses harps.

But nice entertaining review, Ill wait for $9.99 on steam.

(god i gotta stop commenting) on the matter of historical accuracy the prison level is way off as the design and and prisoner uniforms are modeled of Auschwitz but are actually unique to Auschwitz, POW camps as well as other death and concentration camps, had different designs and uniforms so they missed pretty big there lol

Any cat can dispense string.

Just feed it some.

And wait.

Ah well, another decent idea that falls short.

Yeah if he reviewed ODST it would be the same as previous reviews of Halo games.

I hate to think how long it takes to write and produce one of these videos, must be ages.

joe_six:
Nice try at pronouncing denouement, but it should be more French-sounding I think.

He's physiologically incapable of pronouncing French words correctly (i.e. British).

O a Total war joke, guess the Aussies do get things way later than the rest of the world.

I stopped laughing at Total War's secret government cloned armies project about 3 months ago and it feels rather weird after hearing the joke that many times already on the Total War forums, a bit of plagiarism ain't hurt no one.

But funny review as always though given the price of 35 euro's I'd expected allot more out of Darkest of Days. The reason I don't have high demands for Indie games is cause they price according to quality. 10 bucks means your gonna get a fun 10 buck game, however Darkest of Days looks more like a 25 buck game but 8monkeys got a bit greedy is what my guess is.

Anyway give Darkest of Days a go when it drops in price or if you really love Total War or Time travel games.

mike1921:

ssgt splatter:
The game is a joke people. I've played the demo and it was bad, very bad. The graphics were shitty, the enemies could spot you through a dense corn field from 300yds away, the A.I. is so thick that other enemy soldiers don't notice you even as you murder their friends who are standing right next to them, and the game is filled with glitches and bugs and slowed down when things got busy. I'm surprised that Yahtzee didn't tear this game apart; X-Play certainly did, 1 out of 5.

Demo=/= the full game. They could easily fix the bugs after the demo.

Well appaerntly they didn't. X-Play hit on pretty much everything I found wrong with the game. I also played the demo of Blacksite Area 51 just to put another example in this discussion and I didn't notice any real change between the demo and the full game. These days, the demos are a lot better in my opinion and the only difference is the amount of content in both versions.

Once again Yahtzee proves that "intellectual" and "game" don't belong in the same sentence in his world with his digs at the Total War series (Access? I'll have you know that as an accounting major, it's Excel I love so much, especially when you put batting averages in it and call it Out of the Park Baseball), but then we probably could've figured this out from his naming Saints Row 2 as last year's Game of the Year.

Oh well. Since the last FPS from a no-name studio that I bother to remember Yahtzee reviewing was Painkiller, and that surprised the heck out of me by being a very fun game, I was hoping that this would be another hidden gem. No such luck, I guess.

Out of the way question: is Yahtzee somehow managing to talk FASTER than he used to in these last few videos or are my ears just getting lazier?

I had never heard of the game so the introduction to it telling me that I could go back into various past situations with futuristic weapons sounded awesome. Shame the gameplay didn't live up to my very short but intense enthusiasm. This is the kinda game where you'd want to be able to screw around in as much as possible. Like in the review, fry a medieval knight with a microwave gun, then take a musket into WWII just for the lols.

Didn't timesplitters do something similar? Though I wouldn't know I wasn't into fps's back when I remember hearing about it.

To be honest though if it wasn't for the hashed story I'd be all over it like a flock of seagulls over my unfortunately placed hamburger. I'll wait for the sequel to explore more areas before I buy the first.

Sounds like it follows Time Squad rules.

another great one, i love this guy :D

Well. So much for a good time travel game.

I will now admit I'd kill for a new Journeyman Project game...

Anyone else get the Monty Python reference? At 3:10 it makes a reference to the sketch "Self-Defence Against Fruit"

Fronken:
Not sure if this has been ninja'd before me, but the Monty Python reference really cracked me up xD (Tiger/16 Ton anvil), not certain this was intentional, but it does seem like a bit of a coincidence if it isnt a reference to the "Self defense against fresh fruit" skit.

On topic though, great review as usual, keep up the good work :)

Damit. You weren't ninja'd, you were the ninja.

Time Splitters was a fun game

REVIEW IT!! or die by the hands of a time traveling hatter..

EDIT: on a more constructive commenting note: I especially liked the different kind of time travels (Back to the Future ftw) :]

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here