1, 2, 3, PSPgo!

1, 2, 3, PSPgo!

Fourth time's the charm

Read Full Article

*Yawn*

Well yes I'm sure it makes developers happy, but again as a consumer I'm not so happy without the physical "discs in hand". It's not like they are permanantly going to lower the prices of games or anything as was initially one of the things promised about digital distribution.

Maybe if the industry can come up with some benefits to this kind of platform that I am willing to accept, and aren't totally dependant on them, my attitude might change. But right now even if they DO go through with things like lowering prices, nothing prevents them from raising them again down the road once they no longer have to compete with discs.

So basically, I am very much Anti-Go. I recommend everyone become Anti-Go and turn the PSP-Go into the biggest joke ever as a lesson to developers, hardware creators, and big business. :)

Of course this is pretty much the same thing I've been saying for a while.

I back Therumancer, with the added weight of the fact that I had one.

Bought it yesterday, and... there is no way it can be successful unless Sony really does something fucking spectacular with the Playstation Store. Took it back today, got a standard PSP instead. I consider this to actually be the ultimate dickslap I can deliver to Sony, even if they won't know about it.

Swiss army knife? It doesn't have a second analogue stick or a proper keyboard and it's ridiculously expensive(almost as much as a ps3). The only new thing it does is digital downloads and the iphone does that, and has the ability to phone other people. Why would you want this?

Therumancer:
It's not like they are permanantly going to lower the prices of games or anything as was initially one of the things promised about digital distribution.

I'm only a fifteen year old who knows nothing about marketing but that irks me. In my mind, digital distribution should bring lower prices, no exception. We shouldn't be forced to "go digital" because it's "more convenient". Take five dollars off the pricetag and you'll please so many people. If not, at least show me something else that justifies the $250 pricetag. The PSPGo has already been seen as a failure by many, and if there isn't some major incentive then I don't think I'll be buying one any time soon.

You know the funny thing... people don't have to go on like revolutionaries, sticking it to "big business". The free market works. If no one buys the PSPGo, that's all the convincing they will need to change their strategy.

And as it pertains to prices and digital distros, there is plenty of a market of gamers willing to buy for the convenience at the same price. In realistic terms, sales justifies any pricing scheme out there. When a consumer buys what the business priced, it means there is agreement that the consumer says this is a fair and the business that says they can still make a profit at this price. Businesses aren't going to lower the price because of some moral imperative. They are going to lower prices because they have data that says it will give them better market position, media exposure, unit sales, etc.

You know what, I'm going to play devil's, or PSPgo's, advocate here, and say that it's about time they made a digital-distribution-only console. The only real problems that plague the PSPgo are marketing and price. To elaborate, they marketed it as an "upgrade" to the PSP, which doesn't really make sense if you can't play the original UMD's on it, and so it would be more suitable to market it as a standalone "purely online" console. It should also have been targeted specifically at people who don't already own a PSP, for obvious reasons.

Price is fairly self-explanatory. I think the PSPgo was designed to be a more of a "casual gamer's" console for hardcore gamers; all the convenience and simplicity of a quick download to get a game on a platform designed specifically for more the hardcore audience. Therefore, they decided that harccore gamers would be more open to spending this much money for a platform designed for them, which really is a silly mistake.

Otherwise, the concept is fairly sound. It's far more practical, being considerably more lightweight and less bulky, and it really is much easier to change games when all you need to do is pull up the menu, rather than having to lug a dozen chunky miniature discs arounds (assuming, of course, you're not illegaly using pirated games uploaded onto flash drives). It's stylish, it's more powerful than the other PSP's, and it really is a fantastic example of where gaming is heading these days, namely completely online.

Man, I couldn't be happier than to get rid of these damn disks. I can now, FINALLY, go to the PSN store and buy a game knowing that I can run it on all of my PSPs. I can have a great time over adhoc playing Monster Hunter and what-not without giving a care about buying x copies of the game.

Another bonus - My PSP 1000 now doesn't need to be upgraded. The only real difference between the 1000 and the 2000 was the extra disk cache. No disks, no cache needed.

The firmware update (6.10) actually added real, honest-to-goodness PLAYLISTS. Geeze Sony, I've only been waiting for that for FOUR YEARS. But they are finally here and I have to say I love my PSP 1000 all over again and my daughter loves her PSPGo. She buys casual games and I get to try them / share them for the one-time dollar layout.

This was a pretty decent first step as far as I'm concerned. The price-point of the Go is atrocious for sure and I'd love a way to get a handful of my UMDs onto the Go, but right now I'm satisfied that they haven't abandoned the platform altogether. Keep moving forward Sony - prove the haters wrong :)

Andronicus:

Otherwise, the concept is fairly sound. It's far more practical, being considerably more lightweight and less bulky, and it really is much easier to change games when all you need to do is pull up the menu, rather than having to lug a dozen chunky miniature discs arounds (assuming, of course, you're not illegaly using pirated games uploaded onto flash drives). It's stylish, it's more powerful than the other PSP's, and it really is a fantastic example of where gaming is heading these days, namely completely online.

How is being completely online a good place for gaming to go? Its a horrible place, not only does it take away ownership from the consumer but it also could end up damaging gaming immensly by making it too expensive since you cant exactly sell a digitaly owned game back if it sucks or your finished with it. Sure the convenience of being able to just carry your system around without the games is nice but the bulky UMDs are more of just horrible planning on sonys part instead of that much of a pain in the ass, look at the DS its got physical flash cards that are tiny and easy to carry with the system. A digital dl exclusive system only makes any sense in the portible arena but its totaly possible to do it with physical media if you dont mess up like sony did with the psp.

Im still suprised the battery life is crap, I thought the umd drive was supposed to be the reason that its hat such a bad battery life but the new go seems to have almost just as bad.

I do have a psp 2000 but Im still going to hate on it for horrible planning.

edgeofblade:
You know the funny thing... people don't have to go on like revolutionaries, sticking it to "big business". The free market works. If no one buys the PSPGo, that's all the convincing they will need to change their strategy.

Yes because that was all the convincing they needed to change their strategy for the PS3(/sarcasm). Sony in this generation of gaming comes off to me as that large rather dopey dog in a stick fetching contest. Its owner throws a stick and it just so lovingly and adorably looks up at him panting with a face that shows the lights are indeed on, but nobody is home.

Sadly price isn't enough, Sony needs to be seeing about getting a larger group of system exclusive titles otherwise they will continue to lose business to Microsoft and Nintendo. Why should I spend money (even at a reduced price) to play games on your system that I can play on a system I already own. Give me a reason to want your product Sony, titles like God of War aren't going to make me shell out the money for a new system(unless its bundled with it of course) build your library of exclusive games higher and find a way to bring Square back to you and only you before they release KH3 on the Xbox360 as well.

Grow some balls and get aggressive, its time for you to nut up or shut up Sony.

...and retailers certainly don't complain about the iPod touch's lack of boxed retail software.

But iPods do have boxed retail software: CDs.

Back on topic, I really don't think that Digital Distribution is the way to go for all games. Yes, I can see where smaller titles from smaller developers would benefit greatly from digital distribution, but larger titles? I'd prefer a disc. I prefer having copies of the game in hand.

Regardless how how well or crap the PSPgo handles its DL games it is fundamentally screwed on it's PRICE.

I mean in the UK I see HMV retailing it for 230! That's equivalent to almost $400 in the US Dollars and might I add that average incomes (adjusted to $ US) are not significantly higher in the UK than in the USA.

I mean for 230 you could buy a brand new Xbox Elite + 30 for a new game.

Other things you could get for the same amount of money include:

-a new PSP-2000 with a 16GB pro-duo memory card still enough spare cash for about 8 new games
-a new Nintendo DS Lite with about 13 games
-a high quality 24inch 1080p monitor with speaker full support of VGA (360), DVI(PC) and HDMI (PS3) connectivity
-Fully Upgrade your PC to play Crysis on High (ATI-4770= 70 + 2x2GB RAM = 40 + powerful CPU = 100).
-An iPod Touch 16GB capacity + 40 to spare
-an iPhone 3GS 16GB and the first 4 months of the contract (30/$50 per month).

Sony are just living in a fantasy world if they expect to charge Twice as much for a product with a Smaller screen and with a weight saving over the PSP-3000 of only A SINGLE OUNCE

PSP-2000/3000 = 189g
PSPgo = 158g

Holy crap. That's ALL? PSPgo compromises SO MUCH and they only cut down the weight by 16% and this is after the DS Lite shows just how perfect a weight of around 200g can be.

Dimensions aren't much better:

PSP-2000/3000 = 170 x 71.5 x 18.5mm
PSPgo = 128 x 69 x 16.5 mm

Height and thickness are virtually identical, the only improvement is in width, about 25% narrower or in real terms; 25% harder to hold.

Yeah, that's worth the extra 100 over PSP-2000/3000.

But if any company knows how to sell polished shit it would have to be Sony, second only to Apple in selling shiny overpriced crap and there are enough idiots out there to buy into the artificially manufactured hype.

I am personally not the biggest fan of the PSP (IMHO every single PSP variant has terrible controls) yet I still hold out for a UK release of MGS1 for PSP, but for the love of Carmack, any sane person would buy the PSP-2000/3000 over the PSPgo even if the PSPgo was cheaper!

And if they start releasing DL games exclusive for the PSPgo while excluding the PSP-1000/2000/3000 series... then Sony's circle jerk of douche-baggery will be complete.

There may be no such thing as bad publicity for the rest of the world, but Sony can pull it off.

Pricing a handheld with (arguably) more limited options than it's predecessor at the same price as the PS3 (or there abouts - it's about a 20 difference max.) is not good. Neither is pissing off retailers and ignoring the people who might actually buy the thing.

We're gonna see this crash and burn in my honest opinion.

wow this thing is almost the same price as a new graphics card.
SONY doesn't care about the old users for the new psp, they want new people. They are not going to drop support for one system entirely. they still support PS2 for ...... sake.

I would've appreciated the redesign if there was a second analog stick where the start and select buttons are, and instead move the start and select button in the middle.

Other than that, i like it a lot. Definitely not the bomb I predicted, and i'd be more than willing to use this. The buttons feel more tactile and responsive than the bigger ones. I'm willing to purchase this, but at a much lower price than what it's retailing at now. It's 20 bucks more expensive in Dubai than in the States.

Soooo... congrats Sony. Congrats. I think Digital Distribution will pump new life into the handheld. The only trick is setting up the infrastructure to do purchase games. Especially for a portable device.

I'm so getting one. I like digital distribution, that and coupled with the fact that I lack a PSP (had one... but it got stolen), the Go is a solid buy for me.

Well, only time will tell if it's a flounder of failure, or if it's a Trout of triumph. It could even be a Whaleshark of win.

Heart of Darkness:

...and retailers certainly don't complain about the iPod touch's lack of boxed retail software.

Back on topic, I really don't think that Digital Distribution is the way to go for all games. Yes, I can see where smaller titles from smaller developers would benefit greatly from digital distribution, but larger titles? I'd prefer a disc. I prefer having copies of the game in hand.

Agreed. I can understand why some parties may be interested in the Go, but I still remain resolutely unconvinced by the new PSP. I personally find the references to X-Box Live Arcade in the article a little off. After all, the 360 isn't a purely digitally distribution based console like the PSP Go. It may be fine purchasing digital copies of stuff like Braid, Splosion Man and Shadow Complex, but I'll take my "full price" games in hard copy form before even considering a digital purchase.

Ah well, it doesn't really bother me anyway, it's been quite some time since I lost interest in the PSP....

MarsProbe:

Heart of Darkness:

Agreed. I can understand why some parties may be interested in the Go, but I still remain resolutely unconvinced by the new PSP. I personally find the references to X-Box Live Arcade in the article a little off. After all, the 360 isn't a purely digitally distribution based console like the PSP Go. It may be fine purchasing digital copies of stuff like Braid, Splosion Man and Shadow Complex, but I'll take my "full price" games in hard copy form before even considering a digital purchase.

Ah well, it doesn't really bother me anyway, it's been quite some time since I lost interest in the PSP....

Same here. I've had fairly little interest in the PSP since its release (because everyone I knew had a DS, not a PSP), and right now the only game that interests me is Dissidia. But I'm not getting a handheld just for one game...

All I can say is this:

I don't even have a PSP, so I cannot attest to its godliness, but the PSPgo looked like a good thing at the time when I saw it at E3. Digital marketing is modern, and it gives people a feel of being more advanced and faster than buying a hard-copy. However, mankind's mind functions on examples and proof. Thus, it is comforting to have physical representation for your product. It will eventually break down into a factionalized system, between online and retail economics, and comfort vs. advancement (liberals and conservatives of gaming?).

I will wait through the storm to witness which one I should get. :D

Therumancer:
*Yawn*

Well yes I'm sure it makes developers happy, but again as a consumer I'm not so happy without the physical "discs in hand". It's not like they are permanantly going to lower the prices of games or anything as was initially one of the things promised about digital distribution.

Maybe if the industry can come up with some benefits to this kind of platform that I am willing to accept, and aren't totally dependant on them, my attitude might change. But right now even if they DO go through with things like lowering prices, nothing prevents them from raising them again down the road once they no longer have to compete with discs.

So basically, I am very much Anti-Go. I recommend everyone become Anti-Go and turn the PSP-Go into the biggest joke ever as a lesson to developers, hardware creators, and big business. :)

YOU ARE MEGAWIN!!!!!!!!!!!
GIVE THIS MAN COOKIES AND BEER AND FREE CONSOLES AND VIRGINS!

Therumancer:
*Yawn*

does that mean your also Anti-Steam, Anti-Direct2Drive, Anti-Popcap, Anti-Indie game developers that sell products digitally?

SomeUnregPunk:

Therumancer:
*Yawn*

does that mean your also Anti-Steam, Anti-Direct2Drive, Anti-Popcap, Anti-Indie game developers that sell products digitally?

The difference with those is that they don't require you to pay $250 just to have a platform to play them on. Steam is free to download, and Popcap and Indy devs put their games on the PC, which we're going to assume you have if you're posting here.

I believe his main point was that he isn't going to spend $250 for a system that's purely DD.

I want one. I know I said I didn't really in one of my posts in a different Go thread, but I've been thinking about it a lot. I want one now.

I have a functioning 2000, 7 UMD disk games, and a 4 and 1 gig Memory Stick Duo that I would happily trade all of for a Go. The only reason I don't have on yet is because I would have to trade all of those in and still pay $100 or more, realistically.

Everyone is crying about how they like tangible media... I just don't get it. I use steam to download most of my PC games and most of the PC I didn't get on steam that don't need the disk to run anything physical about it I've lost by now. I don't understand why I should care just because its a console and not a computer. Personally I love the idea, I'd much rather just carry around a PSP loaded with DD games than a PSP and a bunch of UMDs.

Another complaint I hear a lot is the lack of a second joystick. I can understand the want for one if you plan to play shooters a lot... but I really can't see myself playing a shooter on a hand-held system. and for most non-shooter games a second joystick isn't really essential at all. Maybe it could be used for camera control in God of War or Prince of Persia, but I really don't think its needed nearly as much as people are crying about it.

The main reason I want a go though is the 16 gigs of internal memory, which I can then make even bigger with an additional memory stick. You may just tell me to get a couple larger memory stick duo's, and that probably is a better use of my money, and I don't really have a good reason not to. I just like the idea of a Go more.

All that being said there are still a couple reasons I dislike the go. The main one being using a different type of memory stick, forcing me to re-buy if I want additional memory (Although 16 internal gigs kinda offsets my point, since I only have 5 gigs over 2 sticks right now). Secondly, I am disappointed that not all UMD games have made it to the PSN store yet. Ok, well ALL UMD games is unrealistic; I'm upset that most haven't even made it over yet. Lumines is one of my favourite games to pop in and relax with, it ain't up there yet. Rock Band Unplugged isn't on the PSN store, but I understand that a 'top 5 songs only' version of Rock Band comes with the Go.

Enough ranting from me; I have a question for those of you who have used it. How are the shoulder buttons? I haven't really seen any pictures of the back with the go open, but they seem like they may be awkward to hit with the top half of the PSP there.

I just don't get it... PSP has recently just added the PSstore ... so you can DL games (the exact same games) on both PSP or PSPgo ... the only difference is that PSPgo costs more and can't play your UMD's ... it boggles my mind ...

I personally hope that the idea of "digital only distribution" falls on it's face, breaking both of it's legs and has to be put down.

I love the idea of digital distribution in alot of ways. For smaller games (the majority of things you see on the online stores for 10-30 bucks) it's the only way they will get their game out there and get started in the business. They are cute little impulse buy style things that are fun to play around with. Most people rarely research those games, they are just "oh hey look at that! *quick info* oh I like that idea! I'll try it out, it doesn't cost much!" they buy it, try it out and hey it's all fun.

However, should digital distribution reach the pentultimate point, gamers will be downloading games like fallout 3 from the internet with nothing else. They have a digital copy, and thats it. I for one love the idea of actualy physically having the game and thats one of the main reasons I don't pirate. When there is nothing BUT digital copies (or the companies favour them over disks, while still providing physical media) then piracy is going to skyrocket. the pspgo was hacked 2 days after it's release. What's going to happen at that point? Nothing good.

SomeUnregPunk:

Therumancer:
*Yawn*

Honestly? Yes I am.

Against my better judgement someone convinced me just yesterday to Download "Risen" off of Steam (since Alpha Protocol had been delayed). I figured I had one bad experience with the service (Dawn Of War II) and given all the crap I talk I should at least do it again at the very least to be fair, and heck it might change my mind.

Well honestly, I see no benefit as a consumer to have purchused Risen via Steam. It cost the same thing, it requires me to use their service, and I have no instruction manual to look things up on and can't even find a digital one. So basically I can say "yep, this blows chips" with authority. Truthfully I should have just ordered it from Amazon. So much for the "your wrong, give them another chance" approach. :P

As far as being anti-small developer, I tend to disagree hardcore. Small "fly by night" programming operations have been around for a very long time, as long as computers have. Oh sure, Digital Download makes things easier for them, I can see that, but gives no real benefit to the consumers. Heck, for every "Popcap" out there, there is going to be even more shovelware, and with things being totally online it's rapidly going to become harder and harder to seperate the good stuff from the junk. Honestly if you can't even support a $10 Wal*Mart jewel box release I think there are problems with your game/company to begin with.

See, for all the talk about "the little guy" that sounds good, there are just as many problems, plus it's impossible to regulate things so ONLY small companies and such would be allowed to use this format. Big Business, which is big because represents the majority of software sales, is still going to stomp all over us.

I guess when you get down to it, I have little problem with Shareware, and companies like Spiderweb and Soldak doing their thing (I kind of like Soldak in paticular) BUT right now we're looking at an overall technology that is moving away from that and becoming a monster.

You have to address the issue overall, and frankly with big business getting involved in Digital Downloads it's become a big deal. While it involves "losing" a few quality indy companies, the greater good is served by preventing the majority of gaming from going digital. Or at least the greater good for us consumers who get a disc in hand for big purchuses, resell/used game rights, and other things, all of which big gaming business
wants to strip away.

Digital Downloads are GREAT if your a big gaming company, not so great if your a consumer under the current system. We have rights now that we won't have under that system. I can't for example take my copy of Risen and sell it to a buddy for $20 when I'm done with it. If I delete the game from my harddrive for space, and then decide 10 years from now to dust off my computer from mothball and play some Risen, whether I can or not is 100% dependant on Valve and Steam both existing and still supporting the game/download. If I had it on disc this would be a non-issue.

With a game in hand there is no question about what I bought with my money. That disc is *MINE*, as opposed to the arguement that I'm just liscencing the use of someone else's ideas or whatever which causes all kinds of bloody legal arguements tied to things like the above (ie what happens if the service I buy from dies).

I'm a bit more open minded when it comes to spending $10-$20 for a game, which is why I can make a slight exception for some indy developers. But when it comes to $50 or $60 it becomes a bigger issue as the price rises. HAD the big companies used this to lower their prices to the $10-$20 range due to all the money they were saving it wouldn't be an issue, but they haven't. Rather all that money saved on packaging, shipping, etc... is going back into their pocket as pure profit, it's not being passed on to cover the things I'm giving up.

Okay, had they charged me the same price for say Risen as say Depths of Peril ($10), or Kivi's Underworld ($20), maybe they could defend the marketing strategy. But they can't, and even if they do it temporarily what guarantee do we have that they will keep the prices low?

(I used two Soldak games as examples).

At any rate, on some levels the money I spent on Risen might wind up being worth it just so I can point to it as an example of how I was stupidly open minded, and then got burnt.

>>>----Therumancer--->

"So much for the "your wrong, give them another chance" approach. :P"

Your mistaken. I just wanted to see if your thought process was more than just "BAD SONY, BAD!"

I have the very original PSP. And will be sticking with it for now, and probably will until Sony release a PSP which isn't just a redesign of the original.

It's actually quite useless, so I would hope it crashes and burns.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here