Zero Punctuation: Scribblenauts

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

First off, yes, yes. . .I really wish the physics were better. But at least if there's a sequel, I'm confident it will be the biggest improvement.

Secondly, Yahtzee is onto something here. When you can have everything it IS hard to think of anything. Scott over at VG Cats wasn't too jazzed by the game, either, so I think there's a trend going here: The more creative a person is, the less able they're able to enjoy Scribblenauts due to an inability to rein in their creativity.

It's not a lack of imagination for some people; it's an overabundance.

Cthulu!!

Surprisingly enjoyable review :D

Huge Boulder? OMG A Giant Rock! (Please be other YGO Abriged fans here)

This one actually made me laugh heartily, been awhile for me since any ZP elicited more than a snicker from me.
I want a flapping duck sandwich.

If I owned as DS I'd probably still give this a go, sounds a little bit like entertainment.

Especially seeing as one of item spawn is Cthulu...Cthulu = infinite levels of brillance

I was laughing the whole time, nice job Yahtzee.

What the Hell is a Chufulu?

Any thoughts on the indie effort 'Crayon Physics Deluxe', Yahtzee? I'd like to know how you think it stacks up, and which if any of your criticisms of Scribblenauts might apply there. I enjoyed it.

I find myself not wanting to believe you're right here, Yahtzee. I mean, popping up anything you want (almost) in a puzzle solving quest on a handheld system? It sounds like a recipe for win. But, then I remember that pretty much any game I've ever played that you've reviewed I've agreed with your finer points. Oh well, I don't own a DS anyways and it was a hilarious review. Looking forward to next week!

He claims there aren't any racist terms in the game; have we already forgotten the whole "sambo" controversy?

You made some incredibly valid points that I really do agree with; however, I still think Scribblenauts can make for a rather fun toy/time-waster when one has about a half-hour of free time and is too tired to do much else.

It is always stars, the game atleast tried something different...was "fun" for all of an hour, then agreed, all the puzzles are easily solved.

Heh the Parkinsons(sp) line cracked me up, I always enjoy that type of humor.

The "Like a retarded Rhino on a jetskater" made me laugh uncontrolably...

Great review!

Great... A DS game... Because that's what I'm dying to get, a kiddie game for a DS...
Thanks..
Next week can we get a game anyone cares about and actually on some level talks about... And likes?

The whole general pleasure of ZP is based around liking games and being informed you're an idiot for that while at the same time being tossed very rational and clever arguments to why.

Scribblenauts on a DS doesn't fill that definition. At all.

For help since you seem stuck:

Final Fantasy 7
Planescape: Torment

just like noobtoob

they tried so hard to like this game but instead became a boring piece of shit

Good bye scribblenauts

sramota:
Great... A DS game... Because that's what I'm dying to get, a kiddie game for a DS...
Thanks..
Next week can we get a game anyone cares about and actually on some level talks about... And likes?

Not sure why I bother, but you do realize that not everybody likes the same games as you, right?

No review of WET? I'm now even more disappointed than I was before. On the other hand, My day is greatly improved by someone pointing out that Scribblenauts is not fit for adult consumption.

Kathulu! Now that's something i would be summoning (if i knew it existed)
Im interested in this game now, we have a DS, must resist temptation...

Captain Pancake:
It seems a moot point saying a DS game is bad, seeing as most of the people who have DS's are little brothers and geriartrics who can't remember what 2+2 equals.

Wow, what a generalising and moronic comment.

There are lots of hardcore gamers that have Nintendo DSs. It has many classic titles for hardcore gamers and they are always of decent quality despite the limitations of the hardware. Here's a list of quality DS titles:

GTA Chinatown Wars
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Kart DS
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Advance War Days of Ruin
New Super Mario Bros
The World Ends With You
Chrono Trigger
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (Diabolical Box for the US)
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
Warioware Touched!
Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword
Elite Beat Agents
Metroid Prime: Hunters

Good luck finding as good a list of PS3 or 360 titles.

EDIT: Okay 360 and PS3 can probably match it but not for exclusives, in any case the DS is a good platform and reached more people than any of the hardcore consoles.

When I realized from another source that you can summon god and give him a lazer sword, because you can't call them lightsabers for obvious copyright reasons, I was interested but then I looked through an opened strategy guide and put it down faster than a fake Necronomicon trying to bite my fingers off. I still want a DS someday and for the titles posted by beddo but I must wait till I sort out and update my 360 collection.

"Come back when you understand what 'fun' means" is one of the best ending lines Yahtzee's delivered in a quite a while.

a game I wouldn't probably heard of and if I did I might want to play it as an artsy game... thanks Yathzee for cooling down my possible enthusiasm :)

That was one of the best ones in ages, the back to the future joke was both genius and incredibly bad taste, if I had a hat I'd tip it.

Despite all the bad things he said about it, it sounds like a great game.

Everything Yahtzee mentioned is the reason I dropped the game after 30 minutes.

Scribblenauts is the kind of game I like to see shredded. It had effort put into it, but in the end it still had plenty of flaws to exploit. It's boring when he does games that are blatantly bad or generic, like Wolfenstein. I actually don't mind him reviewing good games either.

While we're on DS games, I hope he reviews Bowser's Inside Story soon. It's an RPG, but it doesn't star any spikey haired teens and the battle system is way more fun then you'd ever think was possible in a turn based RPG. I DARE him to try to hate it

Oh Yahtzee, you dashing piece of manflesh, I do believe you are spot on about this game. Though I will admit that I prefer using Death (aka the Grim Reaper) to handle all of my enemies. At some point, you stop caring about being creative because a helicopter and chain just work so darn well. And the control system was something they obviously didn't test before they sent it to market. Well done, good sir, well done.

This was in my opinion an exercise in mediocrity, I think that over 100 videos might have taken there toll on his creativity.

Finally! I've been waiting for this review for a month, and I have to say that I wholeheartedly concur. Brilliant job, as always.

That god thing is pretty true. Limitation creates creativity. All the powers of the universe creates nil, nada, nothing, zero (which I'm guessing is The Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything).

beddo:

Captain Pancake:
It seems a moot point saying a DS game is bad, seeing as most of the people who have DS's are little brothers and geriartrics who can't remember what 2+2 equals.

Wow, what a generalising and moronic comment.

There are lots of hardcore gamers that have Nintendo DSs. It has many classic titles for hardcore gamers and they are always of decent quality despite the limitations of the hardware. Here's a list of quality DS titles:

GTA Chinatown Wars
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Kart DS
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Advance War Days of Ruin
New Super Mario Bros
The World Ends With You
Chrono Trigger
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (Diabolical Box for the US)
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
Warioware Touched!
Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword
Elite Beat Agents
Metroid Prime: Hunters

Good luck finding as good a list of PS3 or 360 titles.

EDIT: Okay 360 and PS3 can probably match it but not for exclusives, in any case the DS is a good platform and reached more people than any of the hardcore consoles.

Note how I said "mostly". Are you trying to say that the DS isn't aimed mainly at children of about 10-12? look at some of the titles you see in your local Game store, then maybe I won't seem so "moronic".

crazyhaircut94:
That was funny, although I was surprised that he didn't like it.

He hates Nintendo and all things related to Nintendo as a matter of Principle, no matter how fun it really is he must bash it in blind hate, itīs weird but itīs how he does things.

ila:
Thank you for finally pointing out that the control issues are actually a problem. I see most people pass Maxwell's stupid control as a minor quibble compared to being able to spawn a bunch of objects. I liked the game, but yes, eventually things just dwindled down to rope and helicopter, as was mentioned in the review.

Finally pointing out? Every single review I've seen of the game complained about the controls.

Yahtzee is like our A.I. director. Whenever we feel we may have made it safely to the end of the level he drops three tanks on our ass and we get to gleefully see that not everything is as simple as the hype of the light at the end of the tunnel claims to be.

Scribblenauts is the freight train you mistook for the end/useful evolution for casual gaming. Disguising itself as an adventure game with access to the level editor we realize quickly that all we're doing is playing a protracted game of Tetris where we get to pick and choose which blocks we want to fill our screens with.

Try as they might, the Typing of the Dead lightning is unlikely to strike again soon with the casual/adventure gaming crossover genre.

I said the Scribblenauts review would be LAST week. Dammit, now I owe my friend ten bucks.

Anyway, this just proves the point I've been trying to make to convince my friends to watch Zero Punctuation. If you hear a game is shit, then this will not only confirm the rumors but tell you why. If you hear a game is good, then this will tell you the other side of the argument. I have heard Scribblenauts is actually very fun, and I'm gonna try it out anyway...probably just so I can summon Cthulu and tell my mom that I wasn't making it up...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here