Zero Punctuation: Scribblenauts

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Sarukin:
What the Hell is a Chufulu?

It's Cthulu, and here's its Wikipedia article.

I totally know what you mean by that Sunday boredom that feels like your brain is concrete but you can't be bothered to do anything about it. I've lost so much valuable time to that syndrome. Great review as always.

sramota:
Great... A DS game... Because that's what I'm dying to get, a kiddie game for a DS...

Do you even know what game you're talking about here? Scribblenauts lets you fucking type in any of ten thousand plus nouns and summon them instantly. That's the kind of thing all gamers dream about (and that most expected would remain firmly within their dreams). Even if it is broken to hell, to dismiss it as "a kiddie game for a DS" is so utterly asinine and pompous it makes me want to punch you in the face.

Yes I did register an account for this, what of it. >(

Anyway, after reading the reviews and watching this, I'm almost wanting to not buy Scribblenauts anymore, not even because I think it would be a waste of money, but because if it really is this bad, I'll be heartbroken for... well, days at least.

I never really doubted the word-summoning mechanics, but I'd always been afraid that the levels might be poor, and I was especially doubtful when they said the game would be controlled via the stylus (although I hear people sometimes make Action Replay codes to map bad controls to the D-Pad -- they did for StarFox Assault, apparantly). It would be very very sad to see a project this ambitious fail completely because the developers just didn't push hard enough.

Captain Pancake:

beddo:

Captain Pancake:
It seems a moot point saying a DS game is bad, seeing as most of the people who have DS's are little brothers and geriartrics who can't remember what 2+2 equals.

Wow, what a generalising and moronic comment.

There are lots of hardcore gamers that have Nintendo DSs. It has many classic titles for hardcore gamers and they are always of decent quality despite the limitations of the hardware. Here's a list of quality DS titles:

GTA Chinatown Wars
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Kart DS
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Advance War Days of Ruin
New Super Mario Bros
The World Ends With You
Chrono Trigger
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (Diabolical Box for the US)
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
Warioware Touched!
Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword
Elite Beat Agents
Metroid Prime: Hunters

Good luck finding as good a list of PS3 or 360 titles.

EDIT: Okay 360 and PS3 can probably match it but not for exclusives, in any case the DS is a good platform and reached more people than any of the hardcore consoles.

Note how I said "mostly". Are you trying to say that the DS isn't aimed mainly at children of about 10-12? look at some of the titles you see in your local Game store, then maybe I won't seem so "moronic".

Who cares who it's aimed most squarely at? There are enough quality games designed for adults or for everyone (truly) that it is well worth purchasing. Although lately I'm finding the release list a bit thin for my tastes, I've gotten more than my money's worth from just ten games:

Three Castlevanias
Two Advance Wars
Two Etrian Odysseys
Contra 4
Two Dragon Quests (and a third one the way; two of which were never released in the US)

I probably own about 30 DS games (although I would happily lose 15 of them). I'm 29 y.o.

EDIT

And to address your original poorly made point, Scribblenauts deserved a review because it had pretensions to being a hardcore game. It garnered unexpected attention at E3 and even generated decent review scores from other circles.

Captain Pancake:

beddo:

Captain Pancake:
It seems a moot point saying a DS game is bad, seeing as most of the people who have DS's are little brothers and geriartrics who can't remember what 2+2 equals.

There are lots of hardcore gamers that have Nintendo DSs. It has many classic titles for hardcore gamers and they are always of decent quality despite the limitations of the hardware. Here's a list of quality DS titles:

GTA Chinatown Wars
Mario Kart DS
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Advance War Days of Ruin
New Super Mario Bros
The World Ends With You
Chrono Trigger
Warioware Touched!
Elite Beat Agents

EDIT: Okay 360 and PS3 can probably match it but not for exclusives, in any case the DS is a good platform and reached more people than any of the hardcore consoles.

Note how I said "mostly". Are you trying to say that the DS isn't aimed mainly at children of about 10-12? look at some of the titles you see in your local Game store, then maybe I won't seem so "moronic".

The DS is aimed at anyone with money. Claiming that it's aimed at children because there are DS games aimed at children is foolish; does that same logic apply to the 360 because it has WALL-E or Kung Fu Panda? It aims to appeal at consumers of all ages equally. How well it succeeds can be argued, but you can't argue that it doesn't.

As for the review, it sounds like Yahtzee misses the point on Scribblenauts. Certainly, most of the puzzles can be solved with the same solution. But doing that is like peeling the stickers off a Rubik's Cube. The point is to experiment and find new solutions; that's why advanced mode exists. It's basically a sandbox game, in a way that most that claim to be aren't.

rize:

Who cares who it's aimed most squarely at? There are enough quality games designed for adults or for everyone (truly) that it is well worth purchasing. Although lately I'm finding the release list a bit thin for my tastes, I've gotten well more than my money's worth from just ten games:

Three Castlevanias
Two Advance Wars
Two Etrian Odysseys
Two Dragon Quests
Contra 4

I probably own about 30 DS games though (although I would happily lose 15 of them). I'm 29 y.o.

You're still missing the point that I said "mostly". statistics mean nothing to the individual, I'm just saying every DS gamer i've met is no older than 14.

LawrenceFriday:

The DS is aimed at anyone with money. Claiming that it's aimed at children because there are DS games aimed at children is foolish; does that same logic apply to the 360 because it has WALL-E or Kung Fu Panda? It aims to appeal at consumers of all ages equally. How well it succeeds can be argued, but you can't argue that it doesn't.

As for the review, it sounds like Yahtzee misses the point on Scribblenauts. Certainly, most of the puzzles can be solved with the same solution. But doing that is like peeling the stickers off a Rubik's Cube. The point is to experiment and find new solutions; that's why advanced mode exists. It's basically a sandbox game, in a way that most that claim to be aren't.

Look, I'm tired of arguing. Same rebuffal applies here as did in the above argument.

LawrenceFriday:

Captain Pancake:

beddo:

Captain Pancake:

GTA Chinatown Wars
Mario Kart DS
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Advance War Days of Ruin
New Super Mario Bros
The World Ends With You
Chrono Trigger
Warioware Touched!
Elite Beat Agents

The problem with Scribblenauts is that the creative solutions usually don't work. Usually the shape, size, weight, or other traits of an object will ruin your plan, and eventually you get frustrated and resort to the same old reliable, boring solutions.

I do agree with you on the DS though. Just because a system has lots of games aimed squarely at children doesn't lessen the value of the many quality titles.

Leading back to Pancake's original post, saying a DS game is bad is significant, as most of the DS games that are worth mentioning (not shovelware) are pretty damn good.

Your point was that we should have assumed Scribblenauts was a shallow game aimed at children because it is a DS game. We've demonstrated that that is a stupid idea because there are plenty of non-shallow games not aimed at children available for the DS. If you had pointed out the box art, you might have been making a reasonable point.

I liked the end part with the Kalashnikov lol.

VanityGirl:
To think I actually wanted to buy this game. If it's that broken and boring, no thank you.

...Are you... Serious right now? You're going to base what games you buy off what Yahtzee likes? So, you only have two games then? The Orange Box and Painkiller?

If you wanted it, then go fucking buy it. Christ.

Great title with friends sitting around playing, say PS3, can go "what should I write?" amazing the number of ways can solve puzzles and you get scored on doing them different ways. Had some very creative and yes fun levels and frankly I'm glad to see something different.

Captain Pancake:

rize:

Who cares who it's aimed most squarely at? There are enough quality games designed for adults or for everyone (truly) that it is well worth purchasing. Although lately I'm finding the release list a bit thin for my tastes, I've gotten well more than my money's worth from just ten games:

Three Castlevanias
Two Advance Wars
Two Etrian Odysseys
Two Dragon Quests
Contra 4

I probably own about 30 DS games though (although I would happily lose 15 of them). I'm 29 y.o.

You're still missing the point that I said "mostly". statistics mean nothing to the individual, I'm just saying every DS gamer i've met is no older than 14.

Therefore because most candy is bought to give to children, obviously no adults like candy except for a few mutants, am I right? There's no age limit on any console, and just because one might be more appealing to children doesn't mean it's any less of a legitimate gaming platform.

I agree with Yahtzee on so many points.

It is true, Scribblenauts is nothing more than lolcat level of humor and fun. "Oh wow! Zombies with chainsaws, and cows with bazookas? Sign me in!" But then you realize how shallow it is.

Nothing works the way it's supposed to. You spawn a ladder, but it's too short. You write "long ladder", it spawns the same thing. Want a a longer one? Try "Fixed ladder".
More like "Fixed game" please.

Want to go gmod and make a contraption? Good luck, because "jet engine", "thruster" or anything that would logically add motion explodes on activation.

It is boring to be omnipotent and you can't be imaginative because NOTHING WORKS LIKE IT SHOULD.

I was hoping he would do a review for Scribblenauts, and he did! Yay!

Ammadessi:

Captain Pancake:

rize:

Three Castlevanias
Two Advance Wars
Two Etrian Odysseys
Two Dragon Quests
Contra 4

Therefore because most candy is bought to give to children, obviously no adults like candy except for a few mutants, am I right? There's no age limit on any console, and just because one might be more appealing to children doesn't mean it's any less of a legitimate gaming platform.

I didn't say there wouldn't be exceptions. Can't you just let me have my opinion?

Orhid:
3) Why the hell is it named like stupid sequel to Psychonouts!?

What, did Tim Schafer trademark the word 'Nauts' when I wasn't looking? You're an idiot.

Captain Pancake:

lol, if that was serious than you're an idiot as well.

Also Yahtzee, Drawn To Life is not 5th Cell's "Most Notable release". That honour goes to Lock's Quest. :p

Sooo

Is Yahtzee avoiding ODST like the plague or something? Or is it still Aussie release dates screwing him over?
Meh anyway I would think a DS game with an emphasis on spawning things would be well oriented to a more mature gamer as well, especially if the dictionary were massively improved, I mean some sort of battlefield game with the ability to spawn whatever you want may get quite fun and interesting...

lol cat ftw :p

I'm guessing I shouldn't get my hopes up on summoning a midget demon by typing in "Ftmch", then? Or however it's spelled. I mean it sounds like "Futoomch" but... aw, sod it.

Captain Pancake:

Ammadessi:

Captain Pancake:

rize:

Three Castlevanias
Two Advance Wars
Two Etrian Odysseys
Two Dragon Quests
Contra 4

I didn't say there wouldn't be exceptions. Can't you just let me have my opinion?

I just think you're being unnecessarily stubborn about it. There are a lot of fun games on the DS and discounting it on a tenuous opinion only means that you're missing out. It's like fanboyism, in a sense, like all the Ps3 owners who wouldn't give Bioshock the time of day simply because it was an Xbox360 game.

But I digress. You're allowed to have your opinions, just as much as I'm allowed to try and call you out when they're silly.

Orhid:
Although. Spawning a Cuthulu does sound appealing. But that is only interesting thing.

I wonder how far it goes, could you say spawn someone else, like Dagon?
And if so what happens, does it rain all day until your incestuous sister comes onto you, forcing you to burn yourself lest you make Jeebus cry?

Ammadessi:
I just think you're being unnecessarily stubborn about it. There are a lot of fun games on the DS and discounting it on a tenuous opinion only means that you're missing out. It's like fanboyism, in a sense, like all the Ps3 owners who wouldn't give Bioshock the time of day simply because it was an Xbox360 game.

But I digress. You're allowed to have your opinions, just as much as I'm allowed to try and call you out when they're silly.

Look, It's not that i'm missing out. My brother has a DS, so I could play it whenever I want. I don't play because none of the games appeal to me. I was just making an observation, however uneducated it may have been.

Jarrid:

Orhid:
Although. Spawning a Cuthulu does sound appealing. But that is only interesting thing.

If you spawn "god" and "zues" you get two identical looking celestial beings that kick the crap out of everyone. It's possible there are behavior differences, but I haven't noticed. There are a ton of things like this in the game where various different words spawn the same thing.

And often an adjective in front of a world is ignored so that a "long ladder" spawns a "ladder" (you can use a magnifying glass tool to see the final name of whatever you spawned). It would be preferable if the game told you there is no "long ladder" consider half the adjectives are added after the original item was insufficient and two identical copies of an item aren't going to help.

Yes, the game is deeply flawed. My point: I don't know if Dagon is in it, but if he is, he probably looks the same as Satan and Devil.

rize:

Jarrid:

Orhid:

If you spawn "god" and "zues" you get two identical looking celestial beings that kick the crap out of everyone. It's possible there are behavior differences, but I haven't noticed. There are a ton of things like this in the game where various different words spawn the same thing.

5th Cell reused a lot of the models so they didn't have to draw everything. Interestingly enough, I spawned God and a vampire and to my surprise the vampire bit God, turned him into a zombie, then they both wailed on Maxwell. I thought it was pretty funny.

So since I'm tired as hell, someone wanna tell me what the joke is with

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh yahtzee r'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

lol

Also, awesome review, I really wasn't expecting this game to be that good tbh. I don't expect anything decent from the DS (and yet tardos think it's better than the PSP lol, at least I can use that as a pure MP3 and pretend I'm not a social reject playing video games in public) :P

Oh ya, PSP has far more better games (it just could use a second analog stick to really make all games and their controls far better)

From what I've seen and heard Scribblenauts is more a proof of concept than a game.

LGC Pominator:
Sooo

Is Yahtzee avoiding ODST like the plague or something? Or is it still Aussie release dates screwing him over?

You've obviously missed Yahtzee's enthusiasm for Halo games, as in he has none. I get the impression he'd rather play a JRPG than a Halo game. Me? I'd rather play ODST myself. Especially instead of Scribblenauts...

sramota:
Great... A DS game... Because that's what I'm dying to get, a kiddie game for a DS...
Thanks..
Next week can we get a game anyone cares about and actually on some level talks about... And likes?

This is uninformed, to say the least.

Scribblenauts cleaned up at E3. Tons of awards. Lots of chatter. So, yeah, it's a game that people care about and talk about.

Because the DS is a much more popular console than anything else currently in production, Scribblenauts has a fair chance to sell more copies than there are PS3's on the market. Just in case you missed the significance there, it's possible that Scribblenauts will have more sales than there are people in the world who even consider buying any PS3 game, even in passing. (Not that having only a DS and PC for my gaming stops me from watching ZP--Yahtzee's funny, and his accent is kinda sexy.)

If anything, this says to me that Escapist does actually pay attention to the gaming community at large. These are the sorts of games that sell, not Halo, not Arkham Asylum, but things like Pokemon and Scribblenauts.

I think Yahtzee unintentionally highlighted one of the game's best assets. Yeah, everyone has their helicopter-rope-Cthulu (mine's roc-lasso-ooze), but the game has the "advanced" badges for each level just for that purpose, and Yahtzee let slip that he wasn't very good at it. My nine year old niece, on the other hand, was even better at it than I was. Isn't it a great testament to game design when a child's thinking is more highly rewarded than an adult's? Yeah, the controls are horrible, but if you're frustrated because you've gotten so used to pushing X to not die to win games...isn't this awesome proof-of-concept?

Good review, the pun in the end was hilarious if a little awful.

I really loved this game. I've been waiting two weeks, through Rock Band and Darkest of Days for Scribblenauts. I really thought it was a gem in the shit pool, maybe with a few mistakes by the gem's cutter, but, shit, what do you expect? Nothing's perfect.

But you make some good points, helicopter, rope, Cthulu.

But you didn't even talk about the Playground! Or was that the "Put on the spot" thing? Whatever, great review.

I liked the review, as usual. The game sounds interesting. I'd play it if I had a DS. Also, this is sort of a throw back to old adventure games, where you had to type in what you wanted to do. As in Quest For Glory, Or King's Quest.

Ah, he does bring up alot of good points. All that freedom won't help if the play control sucks.

And here I had great hopes for the game. Oh well.

Great as always. Valid criticisms presented in yahtzee's trademark troll style. Amusing as always, and you still somehow managed to sell me on the game.

so no one knows the joke at the end? lol

I tried Scribblenauts but I got bored pretty fast. :/

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook